Sexual Harassment

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
blackula

Sexual Harassment

#1 Post by blackula » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 pm

It’s becoming a “who’s next” situation. By thinking “who’s next” I’m not blaming any victims, I’m just blown away by the extent of it and that it’s been this widespread.

I’m from Long Island and I hate the music Long Island is famous for. There is a shitty emo band called Brand New from here. A band I was in played our first show at a bar called On The Edge across the street from Hofstra University. We played with a band playing it’s first show also, Brand New, I’m thinking 1999 or 2000. They were nice and all but they played the shitty Long Island emo shit that was unfortunately unleashed on everyone in the early 2000’s.

Now the singer/guitar player admits to soliciting naked photos of his 14 year old fans and fucking them when they’re of age and beating off on skype. They cancelled their tour. They were 1 of 3 “rock” bands to be #1 on billboard, whatever that means, this year.

It’s crazy, I feel like people from our era will start showing up in stories next. I love Usual Suspect and American Beauty and Spacey....done. Louis CK is super funny...done. Shitty Long Island emo band many people loved...done. With the amount of drugs and debauchery that went on in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s do you think anyone we admire musically will end up in this scenario?

It’s a strange and sad time....

perkana

Re: Sexual Harassment

#3 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm

I think I was more grossed out when I read about this singer from an emo band too. He's still grooming his fans to get access to their kids even in jail :jasper:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017 ... tkins-ipcc

guysmiley

#4 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 pm

The crazy thing to me is, how does Jimmy Page get a pass for dating a 14 year old back in the 70s? I mean, I love Zeppelin, but that's pretty damn creepy. I can still be a fan of the man, but damn..... Weird shit.

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Jimmy Page Dated a 14-year-old Girl While He Was in Led Zeppelin

THE BACKSTORY: Lori Maddox was a part of the Los Angeles groupie scene beginning in the early 1970s. According to Maddox, Page became infatuated with her and had a roadie bring Maddox up to his suite at the L.A. Hyatt House. "[He was] wearing this hat over his eyes and holding a cane," she remembered. "He looked just like a gangster. It was magnificent." The pair went on to have a torrid affair over the next few years.

THE TRUTH: Maddox was, amazingly, just 14 when she met Page, though Page did what he could to keep the relationship hidden. Even in the swingin' Seventies this kind of thing could put you in jail. But with no TMZ or Us Weekly, Page got away with it. He eventually dumped Maddox for the of-legal-age Bebe Buell.

She looked pretty though ....

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:57 pm

SR

#7 Post by SR » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 am

Mescal wrote:Jimmy Page Dated a 14-year-old Girl While He Was in Led Zeppelin

THE BACKSTORY: Lori Maddox was a part of the Los Angeles groupie scene beginning in the early 1970s. According to Maddox, Page became infatuated with her and had a roadie bring Maddox up to his suite at the L.A. Hyatt House. "[He was] wearing this hat over his eyes and holding a cane," she remembered. "He looked just like a gangster. It was magnificent." The pair went on to have a torrid affair over the next few years.

THE TRUTH: Maddox was, amazingly, just 14 when she met Page, though Page did what he could to keep the relationship hidden. Even in the swingin' Seventies this kind of thing could put you in jail. But with no TMZ or Us Weekly, Page got away with it. He eventually dumped Maddox for the of-legal-age Bebe Buell.

She looked pretty though ....
I was just talking to my son about this as I have revisited Presence lately with him. I actually was talking about other stories about Zep, specifically the Bonham one about the airborne assault/attempted rape of the RS reporter and the dead fish reports in the hotel room (and others). He brought up the 14 yr old "muses" of Plant and Page. They'd be totally fucked in '17.

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm

One would hope they would just not think fucking 14 year olds is okay in '17... Not exactly clear why they thought it was okay in the 70s. :neutral:

SR

#9 Post by SR » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:14 am

exactly

Xizen47

#10 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Should what CK or Spacey did really be a career killer?

Mescal

#11 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Xizen47 wrote:Should what CK or Spacey did really be a career killer?
I'd say yes ...

But then again, it happens everywhere (church, sports, etc) and all the time (past + present), and most of them go unnoticed or unpunished; so why punish them so hard. And in a business where everybody fucks their way to the top (well, I don't really really know that, but you know ...)

guysmiley

#12 Post by guysmiley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 am

apples and oranges. Spacey came on to a minor, CK was in a position of power and showed adults his dick. Both are wrong, but seeing a dudes dick as an adult won't scar you for life. Getting weird with a minor who doesn't have the mental capacity to process things like an adult is a different thing and way worse in my book.

Mescal

#13 Post by Mescal » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 am

Yeah sure, but what I meant was, lots of priests did things with minors that weren't ok. It was pretty 'common' practice in Belgium 100 - 50 years ago.

Most of those guys never got any punishment whatsoever.

I don't really care about CK or Spacey ...

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 am

I don't think it's helpful to compare the situation in Hollywood / Comedy / Media now to any other situations (especially historical ones). This is often a form of fallacious reasoning -- it could be a tu quoque (meaning: "and you too") or a red herring ("other people did worse things so focus on that"). These aren't relevant if the issue is how we should treat people who do what Spacey did or what Louis did. These two cases are interesting because in the Spacey case it's a power thing and it's also a gay rights thing and a pedophilia / rape thing, whereas with Louis it's a power thing but it's mostly a women's (workplace) rights issue (incidentally, I think this is more or less the same problem with Al Franken). The former is much easier to simply condemn, and blacklist Spacey. With Louis, I think this are more difficult -- probably he should never be alone in a room with women employees again, even though the things he did were years ago -- it's pretty straightforward that any young woman who wants to work on a Louis CK project will be worried about him whipping it out, and now any time he has to deal with women professionally, Louis himself should be concerned about being accused of something, whether or not he does it -- if he is going to continue to have a career, he'd be extremely stupid not to protect himself, but of course who knows if anyone will pay him to do anything again (I think they probably will, it'll just be a while).

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

Wasn't the guy humped by Kevin Spacey at a private party when he was 14 years old?

Why was he at a private party with coke, hookers and promiscuous people (actors and such) involved. Like, where were his parents at?

Also, do we really know what happened?

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Mescal wrote:Wasn't the guy humped by Kevin Spacey at a private party when he was 14 years old?

Why was he at a private party with coke, hookers and promiscuous people (actors and such) involved. Like, where were his parents at?

Also, do we really know what happened?
Public apologies are admissions of guilt. But yeah, why the fuck was the kid at the party?

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:54 am

Public apologies are admissions of guilt.
Not in Canada.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/09a03
Apology Act, 2009

S.O. 2009, CHAPTER 3

Consolidation Period: From April 23, 2009 to the e-Laws currency date.

No Amendments.

Definition
1. In this Act,

“apology” means an expression of sympathy or regret, a statement that a person is sorry or any other words or actions indicating contrition or commiseration, whether or not the words or actions admit fault or liability or imply an admission of fault or liability in connection with the matter to which the words or actions relate. 2009, c. 3, s. 1.

Effect of apology on liability
2. (1) An apology made by or on behalf of a person in connection with any matter,

(a) does not, in law, constitute an express or implied admission of fault or liability by the person in connection with that matter;

(b) does not, despite any wording to the contrary in any contract of insurance or indemnity and despite any other Act or law, void, impair or otherwise affect any insurance or indemnity coverage for any person in connection with that matter; and

(c) shall not be taken into account in any determination of fault or liability in connection with that matter. 2009, c. 3, s. 2 (1).
:noclue:

blackula

#18 Post by blackula » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 pm

I didn’t mean legally, Hype. In the court of public opinion a “fuck off” means maybe and a public apology means you did it.

Peace out to Matt Lauer, Russell Simmons and the dad of one of the Beastie Boys. Who’s next?

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:16 am

blackula wrote:I didn’t mean legally, Hype. In the court of public opinion a “fuck off” means maybe and a public apology means you did it.

Peace out to Matt Lauer, Russell Simmons and the dad of one of the Beastie Boys. Who’s next?
I was sort of joking, but the reason the law is like that in Canada is that Canadians impulsively apologize ("sorry") even if they're the ones who were wronged in an incident. It's so pervasive, they had to write a law to make sure people weren't convicted because they mistook an apology for an admission of guilt. :lol:

Of course a formal public apology almost certainly (though I still think not absolutely) acknowledges culpability on some level.