Peaky blinders

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
erotic cheeses

Peaky blinders

#1 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Anyone catch this excellent bbc show?

Juana

Re: Peaky blinders

#2 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 pm

I've been watching the new season on Netflix not sure how much of it is inline with the BBC version though

perkana

#3 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 pm

It's season 4. I've watched since season 3. I love it :thumb:

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 am

I love it. So cool. I thought series three was quite weak, though. I'm gonna rewatch it before starting with series four.

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm

I've been watching, finished season 4. I use KODI and streamed the BBC episodes, so I am current. Not sure how far behind Netflix is.

I too think this show is great. KILLER soundtrack!! :rockon: :worship:

Everything about this show is really well done- acting, story, sets, costumes, etc. I do agree with Larry that Season 3 was a little weak compared to the first two seasons. I won't say anything about season 4 since most have probably not watched it yet, only that it was superb and very exciting with some unexpected twists. A minor complaint is Adrian Brody's accent..very Brando as the Godfather.

I had to laugh at one of my American Facebook friends who wrote that he had a really hard time understanding the accents and had to use subtitles. :lol:

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 pm

This is based in my home city and I’m embarrassed to say I’ve not watched any of it yet. Even with countless people telling me to do so! I’ve only heard great things about it, I need to pull my finger out of my arse and watch it.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 am

Bandit72 wrote:This is based in my home city and I’m embarrassed to say I’ve not watched any of it yet. Even with countless people telling me to do so! I’ve only heard great things about it, I need to pull my finger out of my arse and watch it.
I was meaning to ask you what you think about their portrayal of your city! And did you know about the Peaky Blinders before the show? All I can find about the real life gang is that they had a minor influence, nowhere near the reach they have within the show, but I wonder if little Brummies are told stories about the Peaky Blinders or something like that.

Bandit72

#8 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 am

It's an aspect of the city's history I knew nothing about, which is even more reason to watch the show. Credit to the producers for making it so popular. I've heard from a few people that some of the accents sound very scouse in the first series but then they are way better as the story moves on. It's quite a hard one to get right if you're not from the region. When you hear "comedians" on tv do Birmingham accents they tend to do black country accents which is completely different even if it is just 10 miles up the road. As far as English gang culture, the only one that really made it to the screen before this was the Krays. I am going to watch it, it's available on demand.

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 am

That's cool. Not knowing a lot about your specific accent, I did think there were too many Jamie Carragher-sounding characters in the first series.

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:It's an aspect of the city's history I knew nothing about, which is even more reason to watch the show. Credit to the producers for making it so popular. I've heard from a few people that some of the accents sound very scouse in the first series but then they are way better as the story moves on. It's quite a hard one to get right if you're not from the region. When you hear "comedians" on tv do Birmingham accents they tend to do black country accents which is completely different even if it is just 10 miles up the road. As far as English gang culture, the only one that really made it to the screen before this was the Krays. I am going to watch it, it's available on demand.
Tom Hardy is in the Kray brothers (he plays the twins) movie, too (he plays a jewish mobster in Peaky Blinders).

perkana

#11 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 am

Just finished watching season 4 (it's the latest one on Netflix) and all I can say is :yikes:

erotic cheeses

#12 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:58 pm

I think it's fair to say that they bigger up the legend a little... but it's still great. Tom hardy this is his year. So disappointed that he wont reprise this role..

erotic cheeses

#13 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

And the soundtrack rocks!

By order of the FUCKING PEAKY BLINDERS!

Ps Arthur rocks!

perkana

#14 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm

I absolutely love Arthur :heart:
I'm watching the first two seasons. Script is great and Iove the evolution of all the characters. Awesome seeing Aidan Gillen (GoT's Littlefinger) in the last season. Since there will be no GoT this year :nyrexall:

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 am

Just finished series 4 last night. Series 3 and 4 and definitely weaker than the first two in terms of writing and pace, one of the best/worst examples being Tommy's scene with Alfie on the beach in episode 6 of series 4. It felt so rushed.

At the end of series 3, I thought that was it for me watching Peaky Blinders, so many things felt odd throughout. However, series 4 made me want to watch series 5, so I guess that's a good sign.

I didn't like some aspects of Brody's performance either. He made that typical Italian gesture in places where an Italian would never do it, for one thing, and he made his character too Corleonesque. Raspy voice, looking through the blinds, all that lot.

Paul Anderson deserves a fucking award for his portrayal of Arthur, and Cillian Murphy might be the most attractive man alive, and definitely one of the most attractive men in the history of mankind. And I'm not sure if it's just me, but Sophie Rundle (Ada) looks more Emma Watson-ish than ever.

perkana

#16 Post by perkana » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Larry B. wrote:Cillian Murphy might be the most attractive man alive, and definitely one of the most attractive men in the history of mankind.
Hands down, he looked gorgeous as a woman in "Breakfast on Pluto".
I thought the ending was perfect. Alfie knew what was coming. I'm going to miss him, though :sad:
I'm watching season 2 and I have to say that Sam Neil was the best villain so far. Adrian's was cartoonish and for some reason I enjoyed more Cillian's interactions with Sam.

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 pm

:wave: thanks for the recommendation

Artemis wrote:
I had to laugh at one of my American Facebook friends who wrote that he had a really hard time understanding the accents and had to use subtitles. :lol:
Laugh at me too then. I just finished season 1 and really liked it and yes I did have to use subtitles. :dunce:

Artemis

#18 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Laugh at me too then. I just finished season 1 and really liked it and yes I did have to use subtitles. :dunce:
:lol: You'll soon get used to the accent and won't need the subtitles.

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
:lol: You'll soon get used to the accent and won't need the subtitles.
:nod:

Happened to me at the start of season 2.

You could use this video as your final test:

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

:lol: I didn't understand most of what Jamie said.

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:52 am

Can I just skip season 3? It's tough to get through. S1 and S2 were great but I'm struggling with S3.

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:12 pm

It's awful.

I can't remember anything of it and I still made it through series 4 just fine.

The only good bits of series 3 are probably all the scenes with Alfie Solomons.

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:13 pm

:lol: I stuck with S3 and I ended up liking it....sorry

On to Season 4

perkana

#24 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:56 pm

creep wrote::lol: I stuck with S3 and I ended up liking it....sorry

On to Season 4
I agree, I rewatched it and liked it even more.

chaos

#25 Post by chaos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm late to this show. I finished season one. Great show. Needed the subtitles though. :lol: I wasn't expecting to see "Chibs" from Sons of Anarchy. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.