New Pearl Jam

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
drwintercreeper

Re: New Pearl Jam

#41 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Oh and i love Matt Cameron, but he cannot play in my tree like jack. But then jack couldnt play any of dave a’s songs the right way. Love matt as a writer though, particularly Evacuation and you are.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:52 pm

“River Cross”...

JOEinPHX

#43 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Oh man, I love "Unemployable"!
Me too.

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm
Oh and i love Matt Cameron, but he cannot play in my tree like jack. But then jack couldnt play any of dave a’s songs the right way. Love matt as a writer though, particularly Evacuation and you are.
The thing I like most about Matt is that he doesn't hit the symbols every 6 seconds like Dave A did.

That dude was a monster drummer, but holy fuck did he just never know how to leave the symbols alone. It's so annoying to hear loud crashes and tsss tsss tsss tsss tssss through every live song.

I liked how minimalist Jack was. I feel like it left a lot more space for other instruments to explore. Or maybe they were just exploring alot more in general back then. Either way, it worked really well.

drwintercreeper

#45 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:
The thing I like most about Matt is that he doesn't hit the symbols every 6 seconds like Dave A did.

That dude was a monster drummer, but holy fuck did he just never know how to leave the symbols alone. It's so annoying to hear loud crashes and tsss tsss tsss tsss tssss through every live song.

I liked how minimalist Jack was. I feel like it left a lot more space for other instruments to explore. Or maybe they were just exploring alot more in general back then. Either way, it worked really well.
agree, Dave A. could go overboard on the cymbals a lot. After thinking about it more, I think Matt most disservices Hail, Hail and Brain of J and In My Tree; Jack did not do justice to Not For You and others I am sure. But Matt is definitely their strongest drummer.

If you haven't checked out Jack's solo records, they are fun. Attention Dimension is fantastic.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 am

drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
drwintercreeper wrote:

agree, Dave A. could go overboard on the cymbals a lot. After thinking about it more, I think Matt most disservices Hail, Hail and Brain of J and In My Tree; Jack did not do justice to Not For You and others I am sure. But Matt is definitely their strongest drummer.

If you haven't checked out Jack's solo records, they are fun. Attention Dimension is fantastic.
I used to keep up with the solo projects way more in the past, but very few of them actually did much for me other than Brad. But 90% of that was Shawn Smith's voice. What an awful loss for the music community.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 am
drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
drwintercreeper wrote:

I used to keep up with the solo projects way more in the past, but very few of them actually did much for me other than Brad. But 90% of that was Shawn Smith's voice. What an awful loss for the music community.
God dammit. I didn't know he died. How did I miss that?

I met Shawn when Brad was touring in 1997.

My GF and I were at the venue early and he walked out the front door. We said hello and he was beyond gracious. We chatted for quite awhile. He was happy to tell stories. I specifically remember him telling us how the band got its name and where the picture from the first album cover came from.

He then asked us if we wanted to meet the rest of the band and walked us around the building.

Everyone was in the back lot playing soccer with the opening band Headswim, minus Stone Gossard.

Shawn asked us if we wanted to meet Stone and of course we said yes. So he volunteered to go get him.

Keep in mind I think we are both around 17 years old at the time. We were very conscious of not wearing Pearl Jam t-shirts, unlike everyone else there, and made no mention of Pearl Jam to Shawn. We were big Brad fans and that's who we were there to see.

Stone appears very tentatively behind Shawn out the back door. Shawn is practically coaxing him out. Stone looks at us with zero expression. We say hello and tell him we are big Brad fans and love their then two records. He finally emerges but mumbles his responses.

After a few minutes he says he's going back in. I say "well thanks for not being a dick." And he replies "trust me I can be."

The rest of the band looked a little embarrassed.

And that's my story of when I determined Shawn Smith was an awesome person and Stone Gossard was not.

RIP Shawn.

Tyler Durden

#48 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 am

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 am
After a few minutes he says he's going back in. I say "well thanks for not being a dick." And he replies "trust me I can be."

The rest of the band looked a little embarrassed.

And that's my story of when I determined Shawn Smith was an awesome person and Stone Gossard was not.

RIP Shawn.
I've never met Stone but that definitely sounds like something he would say/do. My impression is he had (or still has?) that air of arrogance/superiority...with a sarcastic bent.

JOEinPHX

#49 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am

The stories I hear about Stone usually tend to be how not social he tends to be. In fact when I went to the Home Shows in Seattle in 2018, I was seated in front of his wife at Night 1 (I personally didn't know that. It was the people seated around her that were asking her questions that lead to me getting that info), and one of the fans was talking to her about Stone and she mentioned how weird and quiet he is.

Even onstage he just kind of chills out in the corner and there is zero crowd interaction. There may be a little bit of asshole in there, but I think he mostly just wants to play music and be left alone.

Luckily Mike is the exact opposite. Dude has been known to actually just go walk around the venue looking for people to take pictures with and talk to. Matt seems to enjoy hanging out too.

Tyler Durden

#50 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am
The stories I hear about Stone usually tend to be how not social he tends to be. In fact when I went to the Home Shows in Seattle in 2018, I was seated in front of his wife at Night 1 (I personally didn't know that. It was the people seated around her that were asking her questions that lead to me getting that info), and one of the fans was talking to her about Stone and she mentioned how weird and quiet he is.

Even onstage he just kind of chills out in the corner and there is zero crowd interaction. There may be a little bit of asshole in there, but I think he mostly just wants to play music and be left alone.

Luckily Mike is the exact opposite. Dude has been known to actually just go walk around the venue looking for people to take pictures with and talk to. Matt seems to enjoy hanging out too.
I'm speaking of 90s Stone. He definitely had more stage presence then. And he wasn't as mellow or reserved during that time. Or perhaps he was quiet then too...but there was an arrogance. It's touched on in PJ20 when he talks about being sarcastic back in the day. It's evident in interviews from that early period.

Mike is definitely the opposite. During the 90s, he seemed like a train wreck and was less visible. In the band's latter years, it's like he's become the spokesperson for the band...very accessible.

intertwoven

#51 Post by intertwoven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am

Another new one..

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 pm

the first few seconds in i was sure i wouldn't like it but it's pretty catchy. i'm not a fan so on a pearl jam rating it's pretty good. not as whiny and annoying as some of their other songs. :noclue:

mockbee

#53 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I didnt really like it, but felt same way about that other one at first as well amd now like it.
Will listen again later.

:noclue:

JOEinPHX

#54 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Another new one..
Getaway Part 2

Mike's solo is the only interesting thing about this song. He sounds like he is in a totally different band. Because other than him, it sounds like every other pop rock song on their last 3 albums.

With that said, it will be a fun song live, and that's probably why it's a single.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#55 Post by Hokahey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm

I just can't get in to modern Pearl Jam. I hate how they became such a basic rock band and all Eddie does now is his talking-Yelp thing.

Where the fuck is the band that made Ten-Yield?

drwintercreeper

#56 Post by drwintercreeper » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 pm

PJ postponed their tour over coronavirus.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:13 am

Awesome...

Matz

#58 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 am

yeah, the landscapes and stuff in that video is nice, that's true

guysmiley

#59 Post by guysmiley » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Tyler Durden wrote: