NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
phenobarb_bambalam

Re: NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

#76 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm

They've now played 62 songs so far across 15 shows, apparently - quite the haul.

Sadly, most of them have been unremarkable set lists, with the exception of the two nights 'Broken' has been trotted out.

I've seen a couple of shows so far on the tour and have four more, but I really think this is the last tour where I pay attention - it's all become too predictable. I suspect I am in a minority though as people at the shows seem as rapid as ever.

Yes, it's nice that things like 'The Perfect Drug' can happen, but it's still the same formula as every tour since 2013 - half of TDS, half a dozen standards that are always played, a bunch of new shit (emphasis on shit, because the new material essentially is) and then a random bone here and there.

Those bones would probably be enough for most bands, but he's kind of failing my the same standard he set himself pre-hiatus.

(At least 'March of the Pigs' has finally been dropped from the set for the tour, and 'Closer' is not longer a staple.)

Panda - which night will you be going to Palladium?

Pandemonium

#77 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:22 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm
They've now played 62 songs so far across 15 shows, apparently - quite the haul.

Sadly, most of them have been unremarkable set lists, with the exception of the two nights 'Broken' has been trotted out.

I've seen a couple of shows so far on the tour and have four more, but I really think this is the last tour where I pay attention - it's all become too predictable. I suspect I am in a minority though as people at the shows seem as rapid as ever.

Yes, it's nice that things like 'The Perfect Drug' can happen, but it's still the same formula as every tour since 2013 - half of TDS, half a dozen standards that are always played, a bunch of new shit (emphasis on shit, because the new material essentially is) and then a random bone here and there.

Those bones would probably be enough for most bands, but he's kind of failing my the same standard he set himself pre-hiatus.

(At least 'March of the Pigs' has finally been dropped from the set for the tour, and 'Closer' is not longer a staple.)

Panda - which night will you be going to Palladium?
The final show, Saturday, Dec 15th.

lollapaloser

#78 Post by lollapaloser » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 am

I'm going to the next two shows in Boston, pretty psyched. I really like the last 3 releases. Didn't like Hesitation Marks, but he doesn't seem to be playing much off that.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#79 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I think Year Zero was when I gave up. I had hoped that With Teeth was an anomaly and not a new direction, but Trent's new singing style and less abrasive sound were clearly in place permanently.

I remember traveling to Kansas City to see them on what I believe was the with teeth tour and realizing that they were playing a static set list. I was bored to tears. I did not see them again until the ninja tour and while I enjoyed some of the deep cuts it still didn't quite feel like Nine Inch Nails.

SR

#80 Post by SR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Seen them at Lolla '91, With Teeth, and NINJA....loved them all, but 91 was really special

farrellgirl99

#81 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm

In the 90s did he often play a variety of setlists with a lot of deep cuts? I know he had a smaller discography but were the shows just better bc he was younger with more energy/songs were just better?

Wish I coulda been of concert going age in those days. I still think this is the tour is the best I’ve seen them (think my first show was 2006)

phenobarb_bambalam

#82 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Have seen them on every tour, multiple shows on each tour from The Fragile onwards. For me, that really was their peak. Both in terms of the studio material but also live performances (the last shows of Wave Goodbye notwithstanding). Part of this is probably down to age and the aggression of those shows, but I think it's also due to the relative weakness of the albums that followed. With each subsequent release, the sets became more and more diluted with weaker tracks taking the place of quality from earlier material. Which is kind of where we are now...I'll happily never gear any of the material since the hiatus live, but....

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm
In the 90s did he often play a variety of setlists with a lot of deep cuts? I know he had a smaller discography but were the shows just better bc he was younger with more energy/songs were just better?

Wish I coulda been of concert going age in those days. I still think this is the tour is the best I’ve seen them (think my first show was 2006)
The setlists were pretty static on the 90's tours. They'd maybe drop in or out a song every so often through a tour but nothing like the '09 or current tours. I agree with Pheno in that the Downward Spiral and especially the Fragile tours were the peak simply because the sets were so strong and the energy was off the charts. I thought the '05 and '06 tours (or at least the shows I caught) were decent but not enough to go see them again until the NINJA tour and the last shows in LA in '09. In fact, I'd of probably skipped the '06 tour except they had Bauhaus opening for them.

I was considering seeing them the last tour but the mediocre album, the live backing singers and Trent's seeming emphasis on being a more "mature" artiste coupled with clips from the beginning of the tour turned me off. The only reason I'm going this tour is because Trent seems determined to recapture some of the old energy and unpredictability of better days.

phenobarb_bambalam

#84 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm
Trent seems determined to recapture some of the old energy and unpredictability of better days.
He is that, I think, though I am not sure he is quite delivering on the unpredictability part of it. Will be curious to hear what you think come mid-December.

For a handful of the tours (pre and up to the 'Lights in the Sky' era), I chalked up the static setlist to the increasingly eleaborate light shows which may not have allowed for spontaneity for rotating the set lists, but even at things like the Troubadour show in 2013 where it was as stripped back as it could be, it's been the same old template. I can't complain overly from the shows so far that the set lists haven't been changing....it's just unfortunate (for me!) that few of the rotation songs are things I would give my eye teeth to hear.

SR

#85 Post by SR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Anyone know the ins and outs of the palladium shows? I presume GA is best, but the stubhub tix range wildly...one is no better than another, right?

phenobarb_bambalam

#86 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Here's hoping there is a section where one will be spared Reznor bringing his Mrs out on stage for three songs during a nin set! Not even Perry inflicted giving Etty a microphone on JA fans. To be less snarky, plenty of people seem be stoked with having the HTDA re-hash, but I really don't get that happening on a nin stage.

Can't help with an answer, sorry. Haven't heard much about what's going on with the layout - just lots of reports about merchandise. What are you trying to work out?

SR

#87 Post by SR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 am

I was just curious about the GA layout...there was a fairly large variance in price (about 80 bucks) and some of the seats guaranteed something called GA 666-669, etc. I googled this and really nothing came up. I was bored and though about taking in the show, but don't want to be caged with a bad view.

What have you heard on merch? It's odd because the last time I saw nails, I had backstage (which meant very little as it was at the Hollywood Bowl, but the tour manager who got me the BS pulled TR away to sign a t for my son, which he did in a huge rush but not before he went on a mini tirade about the quality of nin merch. :lol:

Pandemonium

#88 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am

SR wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 am
I was just curious about the GA layout...there was a fairly large variance in price (about 80 bucks) and some of the seats guaranteed something called GA 666-669, etc. I googled this and really nothing came up. I was bored and though about taking in the show, but don't want to be caged with a bad view.

What have you heard on merch? It's odd because the last time I saw nails, I had backstage (which meant very little as it was at the Hollywood Bowl, but the tour manager who got me the BS pulled TR away to sign a t for my son, which he did in a huge rush but not before he went on a mini tirade about the quality of nin merch. :lol:
GA for the Palladium (face value $79.50 not including all the extra BS charges) is the entire ballroom floor. You can move about where ever you want but be aware there's no seating except sometimes way off on the sides off the main floor with no sightlines to the stage against the back wall when the Palladium staff sometimes sets up some folding metal chairs near the bars. The code means nothing as far as access anywhere on the floor. There are limited GA-VIP tickets (face value $99.50 + charges) that were sold during the presales that include access to the balconies that run on either side of the stage that have some seats and tables (first come, first served) - such a ticket will explicitly say it's GA VIP.

Be aware that you can get regular floor GAs through TM right now for at least the two mid-week shows. There's been small ticket drops the past week for all the Palladium shows and it's highly likely the last shows on Friday and Saturday show will have drops as well during this week. One trick is to select only (1) single ticket which seems to pull up tickets for otherwise "sold out" shows that show only "reseller" aka: officially scalped, higher priced tickets.

The merch booth is usually located out in the lobby and they might have one outside the Palladium. They'll probably have specific shirts and pricey chrome posters for the LA run of shows.

I highly recommend parking in one of the lots across the street from the Palladium and not the Palladium's own lot. It'll cost more ($20+), but you'll have an infinitely easier time getting out after a show.

Pandemonium

#89 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 pm
Here's hoping there is a section where one will be spared Reznor bringing his Mrs out on stage for three songs during a nin set! Not even Perry inflicted giving Etty a microphone on JA fans. To be less snarky, plenty of people seem be stoked with having the HTDA re-hash, but I really don't get that happening on a nin stage.

Can't help with an answer, sorry. Haven't heard much about what's going on with the layout - just lots of reports about merchandise. What are you trying to work out?
Heh heh, first night's set last Friday:

Mr. Self Destruct
Last
March of the Pigs
Piggy
The Lovers
Reptile
Shit Mirror
Ahead of Ourselves
God Break Down the Door
Closer (with ‘The Only Time’ interpolation)
Parasite (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig)
Welcome Oblivion (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig) (First time played by NIN)
A Drowning (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig) (First time played by NIN)
Wish
Copy of A
Gave Up
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
-Encore:
Home
And All That Could Have Been
Hurt

At least Reznor probably got his wife's stuff out of his system on that first show so the rest of the shows may be HTDA-free.

phenobarb_bambalam

#90 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks for the rundown re the ticket scenario. Have only been to the venue once (for nin, oddly enough), so don't know it well.

As for merch- the cash grab is on. Apparently they're selling merch in the parking lot from 2pm each day.....to anyone. You don't need to be a ticket holder, which given that there is limited-run material, is poor. Am hoping they may have changed this from the first show. It's nice that people can stow their march away and not have to carry it at the show, but letting anyone in makes it a bun-fight. There are several limited edition items that profiteers will be making a beeline for:

- there is a poster for the run of six shows - 275, with a small number available each night
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NINE-INCH-NAIL ... fresh=true
- there have been event posters each night of the tour ($30 for ordinary prints signed by the artist or $100 for foil variants)
- event t-shirts for each show ($25). Disappointingly, the front design is consistent across the shirts from different cities, but at least they seem to be changing the front from one night to the next when there are multiple shows in each city. Six shows will push them, since the images all come from the cover for 'Bad Witch'. Agreed that the quality of nin mercy has been shit in recent years; this stuff seems to better.
- $250 will get you one of these: "JONATHAN RACH, (DIRECTOR OF THE LEGENDARY CLOSURE FILM), WILL BE PHOTOGRAPHING NINE INCH NAILS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWENTY YEARS AT THE UPCOMING PALLADIUM SHOWS. LIMITED EDITION NUMBERED PRINTS SIGNED BY TRENT AND JONATHAN WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON-SITE"

I'll be vexed is Ett...Mariqueen pops up on stage again. There is a time and place for HTDA, and it's not on a fucking nin stage.

phenobarb_bambalam

#91 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:59 pm

The second night started off well - Fragile heavy, but then became a bit bland (for my liking). Hoping for a standout set on Tuesday...

SR

#92 Post by SR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am
SR wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 am

GA for the Palladium (face value $79.50 not including all the extra BS charges) is the entire ballroom floor. You can move about where ever you want but be aware there's no seating except sometimes way off on the sides off the main floor with no sightlines to the stage against the back wall when the Palladium staff sometimes sets up some folding metal chairs near the bars. The code means nothing as far as access anywhere on the floor. There are limited GA-VIP tickets (face value $99.50 + charges) that were sold during the presales that include access to the balconies that run on either side of the stage that have some seats and tables (first come, first served) - such a ticket will explicitly say it's GA VIP.

Be aware that you can get regular floor GAs through TM right now for at least the two mid-week shows. There's been small ticket drops the past week for all the Palladium shows and it's highly likely the last shows on Friday and Saturday show will have drops as well during this week. One trick is to select only (1) single ticket which seems to pull up tickets for otherwise "sold out" shows that show only "reseller" aka: officially scalped, higher priced tickets.

The merch booth is usually located out in the lobby and they might have one outside the Palladium. They'll probably have specific shirts and pricey chrome posters for the LA run of shows.

I highly recommend parking in one of the lots across the street from the Palladium and not the Palladium's own lot. It'll cost more ($20+), but you'll have an infinitely easier time getting out after a show.
Great info...thought you'd know :rockon:

Pandemonium

#93 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 am

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 pm
Thanks for the rundown re the ticket scenario. Have only been to the venue once (for nin, oddly enough), so don't know it well.

As for merch- the cash grab is on. Apparently they're selling merch in the parking lot from 2pm each day.....to anyone. You don't need to be a ticket holder, which given that there is limited-run material, is poor. Am hoping they may have changed this from the first show. It's nice that people can stow their march away and not have to carry it at the show, but letting anyone in makes it a bun-fight. There are several limited edition items that profiteers will be making a beeline for:

- there is a poster for the run of six shows - 275, with a small number available each night
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NINE-INCH-NAIL ... fresh=true
- there have been event posters each night of the tour ($30 for ordinary prints signed by the artist or $100 for foil variants)
- event t-shirts for each show ($25). Disappointingly, the front design is consistent across the shirts from different cities, but at least they seem to be changing the front from one night to the next when there are multiple shows in each city. Six shows will push them, since the images all come from the cover for 'Bad Witch'. Agreed that the quality of nin mercy has been shit in recent years; this stuff seems to better.
- $250 will get you one of these: "JONATHAN RACH, (DIRECTOR OF THE LEGENDARY CLOSURE FILM), WILL BE PHOTOGRAPHING NINE INCH NAILS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWENTY YEARS AT THE UPCOMING PALLADIUM SHOWS. LIMITED EDITION NUMBERED PRINTS SIGNED BY TRENT AND JONATHAN WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON-SITE"

I'll be vexed is Ett...Mariqueen pops up on stage again. There is a time and place for HTDA, and it's not on a fucking nin stage.
That LA poster looks pretty cool... not $150 eBay cool but cool nonetheless.

Are you seeing the entire run of LA shows?

phenobarb_bambalam

#94 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:08 pm

It'll just be one in the run for me. Had tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday, but now don't have the time to stay down there two night, so ditching Wednesday.

I think a lot of people had particularly high hopes for these shows, though the first two were pretty run of the mill (unless you count the HTDA rehash). I'll be filled with glee if tomorrow's end up being a 'Broken' show, but I am not holding my breath. Just want a setlist that's not packed with new material, or TDS and I'll be happy.

Pandemonium

#95 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 am

Hey Pheno, looks like you got your Broken+ B-sides set last night!

kv

#96 Post by kv » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Oh that's cool

phenobarb_bambalam

#97 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 am
Hey Pheno, looks like you got your Broken+ B-sides set last night!
It was fucking nuts! With the exception of the Intern show in 2009, which I believe you were also at, this was the best nin gig I have ever seen. The set list was phenomenal. Yes, Broken and nothing post 1994. While I certainly am not a huge lover of TDS, it was remarkable to have set list that could have been from that era.

I was frustrated to gave to give up my ticket for tonight, but now I am glad - it will only be anticlimactic after that. Hope you have a noteworthy show yourself!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inc ... 4ac99.html

Pandemonium

#98 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 pm

A really good but not great final night at the Palladium last night.

It's been about 3 years since I last saw a show at the Palladium. There's more and more large buildings going up all around the area sucking up the old parking lots and making it tougher to get around Sunset Blvd and the freeways just get worse and worse (2 hours just from Huntington Beach to Hollywood!).

The merch stuff really didn't interest me, but they clearly sold a lot of stuff as there were long lines at most of the booths and tables in and outside the Palladium. Drink prices where stratospheric - $26 for a double mixed drink - insured I wasn't crafting any buzz this show. Hell, they wouldn't even give me a cup of ice water, I had to pay $6 for a bottle water poured on ice in a plastic cup.

Opening band HMLTD(?) were *really* loud with a lot of bassy drum loops and NIN-style instrumentals - in fact, they were the loudest band of the night.

The Jesus And Mary Chain is a favorite.... on record. Live, they are a bit dull and the quality of their show really depends on two things - the setlist and whatever tension may be going on between the Reid brothers. There seemed to be no tension, in fact there seemed to be no interplay between the band at all. The setlist was only fair, imo. I like their druggy, feedback stuff like Reverence and Blues From A Gun, the more poppy stuff like Just Like Honey and Some Candy Talking don't do it for me. For better or worse, their set was maybe a dozen songs and lasted about 45 minutes. Even by TJAMC's set, the Palladium was really packed, by NIN's set it was jammed solid even on the sides.

If I had walked out of the show after NIN's first 3 songs, I would have said this was the best NIN show I've ever seen. Getting the opening trio of Wish-Last-March Of The Pigs was incredible. The energy both from the band and the audience was off the charts. There was some serious moshing up front and at times through the show, the usual Palladium crowd swaying back and forth in the pit threatening to squash people. In fact a couple security guys warned people how crazy it would get before the show started.

Unfortunately the crazy high energy level wasn't sustainable and what followed was a brace of 5 or so songs from the Bad Witch and Add Violence EPs that brought the pacing down. The set briefly took off again with The Perfect Drug complete with lasers(!) mid-set getting one of the best reactions from the audience the whole show, Ilan is certainly the MVP of the band, the guy just plays his ass off. But then they followed that with 3 songs from Trent's wife/How To Destroy Angels. I've never bothered to pick up her album and I don't think I've listened to more than a couple songs online but her mini-set frankly killed the show for me and I never completely got back into the show. The tail end of the show picked up with Gave Up and warhorse closers Hand That Feeds and Head Like A Hole.

The encore opened with Mike Garson playing a long solo piano rendition of Greensleeves(!) complete with red and green Christmasy NIN logos(!!) on the backdrop followed by a trio of Fragile cuts, the instrumental Just Like You Imagined, La Mer and Even Deeper and the Bad Witch track Over And Out. Trent gave a short speech thanking the band and crew and made it clear the band was taking an extended break but would be back. The show ended with the usual "Hurt."

It was great to finally get Last and The Perfect Drug, two songs I've always wanted to hear live. The incredible unpredictability of the set kept me interested in what was coming next even when the show itself lagged for me personally. The sound was excellent, the lighting, fog and even lasers was pretty over the top great especially considering this was a fairly basic stage production considering NIN's past tours.

Overall though, this show had nothing on the LA run of Wave Goodbye shows in LA in 2009, certainly not the final Wiltern show which remains by far the best NIN I've ever seen. Looking at the setlists from the LA run of shows, I'd have probably most wanted to catch the 12/11 show Pheno saw.

farrellgirl99

#99 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm

pheno's set was def a great set - the now im nothing/terrible lie combo is always cool and seemed like there wasnt any filler.

glad you got last and perfect drug, panda. perfect drug was a show stopper for the 1st of my 2 shows too - that drum solo was really awesome to hear live.

i dont really get the htda interlude...that would have taken me out too. the second night i saw them they did Parasite as a cover, but it worked well enough within the set and i enjoy that song. but not sure i woulda been thrilled if they took out more than 1 song to devote to hdta.

phenobarb_bambalam

#100 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Many thanks for this, Panda - as always, thorough enough to make it feel like being there.

I was gutted not to be able to make it to more of the LA shows than just the one, but looking eagerly at the set lists each night since, I really do think I struck Palladium gold. I must admit that I thought the last two nights would be special in some way or form...and from a set list perspective, they really weren't.

I saw a couple of the HTDA shows in 2013 and enjoyed them for what they were, but it really was anemic. Part of what made it interesting at the time was the fact that Reznor had been away for four years, but those shows were propped up by the production which made it kind of interesting. Without Rob Sheridan's work, it really would have been a damp squib, I think. I imagine that is part of why it's fallen flat in 2018 (i.e., no hiding behind pretty visuals), but the simple fact of the matter is that there really is no place for the material in a nin set. That's not just anti-MrsRez sentiment from me - nin shows have a certain intensity that the HTDA material just lacks. I can wholly understand your comment about it killing off the show.

I think your comment about the first three songs is also spot-on. I have had several shows on this tour where I thought "holy shit" at the intro, but then it became lukewarm very quickly and never heated up again. This is invariably due to the setlist, for me, but I am also a minority in not getting what Atticus Ross gives them in the live equation. So when the set is heavy on material from the recent EPs, the whole things just suffers.

That Wiltern show won't be topped, but the 12/11 really left me feeling some of the highs I felt that night. It's good to know he still has the ability to punch at such a high level, but the fear is that that it will become harder and harder for him to get close over time. I have to say, though, this tour was head and shoulders about 2013/2014. I'm thankful.

:cheers: