NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

#21 Post by creep » Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Oh... Jesus and Mary Chain has to be one of the most boring bands I have seen live. Hopefully they have worked on their stage presence.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 pm

creep wrote:Oh... Jesus and Mary Chain has to be one of the most boring bands I have seen live. Hopefully they have worked on their stage presence.
They were always too “wall of noise for me”. All the goths I used to hang with in the 90s fucking loved them for some reason.

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:Oh... Jesus and Mary Chain has to be one of the most boring bands I have seen live. Hopefully they have worked on their stage presence.
They were always too “wall of noise for me”. All the goths I used to hang with in the 90s fucking loved them for some reason.
I never really liked them. The only reason I saw them was because they played Lollapalooza.

Matz

#24 Post by Matz » Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm

yeah, something like that, happens to most of them though, look at the Chili Peppers, Jane's, Billy Corgan etc. Talent fades....

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
I agree their virtually cardboard cutouts on stage but I love that wall of sound feedback nails-on-chalkboard guitar sound they have on a lot of songs.

nausearockpig

#26 Post by nausearockpig » Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
I agree their virtually cardboard cutouts on stage but I love that wall of sound feedback nails-on-chalkboard guitar sound they have on a lot of songs.
i found the guitars too fuzzy, to the point that I couldn't really discern the songs.. but that was what I remember thinking back then.. ~20 years ago.. I should revisit...

Best album for a noob?

Pandemonium

#27 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 20, 2018 7:24 pm

nausearockpig wrote:i found the guitars too fuzzy, to the point that I couldn't really discern the songs.. but that was what I remember thinking back then.. ~20 years ago.. I should revisit...

Best album for a noob?
A lot of hardcore fans say their debut album "Psychocandy" but I say "Automatic." Although they only put out maybe 6 or 7 studio albums, they have a ton of great B-Sides and I'd actually highly recommend "Barbed Wire Kisses" which collects many non-album rare tracks over several of their studio albums.

nausearockpig

#28 Post by nausearockpig » Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks Panda!

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:
Matz wrote:is that the worst song he's ever done, let's do a poll
I haven't heard every song but that is one of the worst I have heard
The Bowie thieving is pretty bad on this tune."
It really is, I can't get it out of my head. He copies the drums, horns, singing style, sampling, incredible. Wtf was he thinking? And to make matters worse he copies from Black Star, Bowie final and ultra personal album. I've been trying to think of worse cases than this one when it comes to rip offs, but I can't.

Matov

#30 Post by Matov » Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Matz wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:
Matz wrote:is that the worst song he's ever done, let's do a poll
I haven't heard every song but that is one of the worst I have heard
The Bowie thieving is pretty bad on this tune."
It really is, I can't get it out of my head. He copies the drums, horns, singing style, sampling, incredible. Wtf was he thinking? And to make matters worse he copies from Black Star, Bowie final and ultra personal album. I've been trying to think of worse cases than this one when it comes to rip offs, but I can't.
To be fair, bowie did take A LOT from trent et al during the earthling/outside era. And then there's that cover Trent did of "I can't give everything away" on their last tour, which featured bowie's vocals and i guess that had to be OKed by Bowie's estate or sth?

Of course it sounds really similar to Blackstar (i'd say it sounds a bit more like bowie's posthumous No Plan EP, in that its spacier and less song-y if that makes sense) but i wouldn't call it thieving or ripping off, more like honoring a great great late superstar who also took shit from him :noclue:

oh by the way hi all

Matov

#31 Post by Matov » Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Hokahey wrote:Simply because his vocals are not the whole "with-a teeth-a" thing, I like it better than anything I've heard from him in a long time. It's a little busy, but overall I like it ok. I just wish he'd pulled the plug on the NIN name after the Fragile.
i hear you hoka. i was actually surprised to find a full vocal melody insead of that banter-ish style he's been knonw for as of lately. I actually don't mind the singing from with teeth-a onwards-a, but i also welcome the change in style

Matz

#32 Post by Matz » Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 am

Matov wrote:
To be fair, bowie did take A LOT from trent et al during the earthling/outside era. And then there's that cover Trent did of "I can't give everything away" on their last tour, which featured bowie's vocals and i guess that had to be OKed by Bowie's estate or sth?
]
I agree, Bowie did take a lot on those albums, but it was still Bowie. It wasn't Brian Eno and him sitting there with a synth going: "Ok, let's try to find that Closer bass line sound and use it on this one" AND lets find the the exact drum samples AND the distortion Trent used on them too. He did it in a cool way, same as when Dave borrows things from Hendrix or Gilmore or whoever.

But it's a subjective thing of course, I think its creepy. The tribute Trent did live was really cool though, he couldn't exactly do the song justice because he's even close to being as good a singer as Bowie was but still. He should have left it at that. I wonder if Trent has come out and talked about this song being a tribute or not, would be interesting. Guess that would help me out a BIT.

clickie

#33 Post by clickie » Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 am

I think Trent just picks a band like Jesus and Mary Chain to open for him because he probably idolized them as a teenager. I'm not knocking it, i'd do the thing in his position.

phenobarb_bambalam

#34 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

clickie wrote:I think Trent just picks a band like Jesus and Mary Chain to open for him because he probably idolized them as a teenager. I'm not knocking it, i'd do the thing in his position.
They actually toured together in the US in 1990 (nin as the opening act for JAMC), so I think some of it is also a nod to that piece of history...in the same way it was with NINJA.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 am

Matov wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Simply because his vocals are not the whole "with-a teeth-a" thing, I like it better than anything I've heard from him in a long time. It's a little busy, but overall I like it ok. I just wish he'd pulled the plug on the NIN name after the Fragile.
i hear you hoka. i was actually surprised to find a full vocal melody insead of that banter-ish style he's been knonw for as of lately. I actually don't mind the singing from with teeth-a onwards-a, but i also welcome the change in style
I just haven't been able to adapt to his "new" singing style. I have tried so hard to enjoy post Fragile NIN and just can't because of it. I'm assuming it had something to do with aging vocal chords? I don't know.

Hype

#36 Post by Hype » Sat May 26, 2018 8:51 am

The only JAMC song I really like is Just Like Honey... not enough to want to see them... and NIN ... meh... I've seen them enough already... there are more interesting things out there.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm

clickie wrote:I think Trent just picks a band like Jesus and Mary Chain to open for him because he probably idolized them as a teenager. I'm not knocking it, i'd do the thing in his position.
I'd say it has more to do with his music style.

He may be using analogue synthesizers primarily at this point, but his music falls waaaaaaay closer to shoegaze now than it does rock, industrial, electronic, etc...

JOEinPHX

#38 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Hokahey wrote:
I just haven't been able to adapt to his "new" singing style. I have tried so hard to enjoy post Fragile NIN and just can't because of it. I'm assuming it had something to do with aging vocal chords? I don't know.
100%

He was struggling even back during NINJA. His vocals are getting buried under backing tracks and background vocals. He's yelling more than screaming for the last decade or more.

He just suffers from what all singers do, a deepening voice and strained vocal chords.

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Must be big demand for the tour, at least in LA as they're adding 2 more Palladium shows for 12/14 and 12/15. I am really glad I didn't bother with the on-site sale for the other 5 shows as this onsale is through TM tomorrow and these are the final two shows and I want to see the last show of the stand.

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Yay for me, no problem scoring a ticket to what should be the final Palladium show on 12/15.

farrellgirl99

#41 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:06 pm

i didnt end up waiting on line bc i was hungover and decided it was too dumb to do on a saturday morning. then i saw someone from high school i hadnt seen in 9 years (but his brother is still close friends with my brother so it wasnt the weirdest thing in the world...i guess) was waiting on line so i messaged him and asked him to grab me a ticket and he did lol. he waited for 8 fucking hours. so i lucked out hard and offered to buy him dinner.

then on friday, i saw he added two more ny shows - one at a 3k capacity theater in brooklyn - so i grabbed the cheapest seat possible in the back and will be going to that show too. so ill see his first and last in ny. why not. yolo. old grandpa trent still makes me happy.

clickie

#42 Post by clickie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i didnt end up waiting on line bc i was hungover and decided it was too dumb to do on a saturday morning. then i saw someone from high school i hadnt seen in 9 years (but his brother is still close friends with my brother so it wasnt the weirdest thing in the world...i guess) was waiting on line so i messaged him and asked him to grab me a ticket and he did lol. he waited for 8 fucking hours. so i lucked out hard and offered to buy him dinner.

then on friday, i saw he added two more ny shows - one at a 3k capacity theater in brooklyn - so i grabbed the cheapest seat possible in the back and will be going to that show too. so ill see his first and last in ny. why not. yolo. old grandpa trent still makes me happy.
That raises a good question though, what was the longest I ever waited in line for tickets. Probably about 12 hours for U2 Joshua Tree tickets and abou tthe same for Metallica And Justice for All.

farrellgirl99

#43 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am

So Trent haters, what do you think of the Bad Witch ep?

I really like it as a cohesive piece. He even stopped with his stupid rhyming! There’s energy there I haven’t heard in awhile. I dig it.

Matz

#44 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am

dumbed down David Bowie. :crazy: He keeps stealing from him, drums from the Earthling era and the same type of horn riffs as on Blackstar. What a downfall

lollapaloser

#45 Post by lollapaloser » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am

I really like it. God Break Down the Door sounds a little like Did you Forget.