NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
farrellgirl99

Re: NIN + Jesus And Mary Chain Tour

#81 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm

In the 90s did he often play a variety of setlists with a lot of deep cuts? I know he had a smaller discography but were the shows just better bc he was younger with more energy/songs were just better?

Wish I coulda been of concert going age in those days. I still think this is the tour is the best I’ve seen them (think my first show was 2006)

phenobarb_bambalam

#82 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Have seen them on every tour, multiple shows on each tour from The Fragile onwards. For me, that really was their peak. Both in terms of the studio material but also live performances (the last shows of Wave Goodbye notwithstanding). Part of this is probably down to age and the aggression of those shows, but I think it's also due to the relative weakness of the albums that followed. With each subsequent release, the sets became more and more diluted with weaker tracks taking the place of quality from earlier material. Which is kind of where we are now...I'll happily never gear any of the material since the hiatus live, but....

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm
In the 90s did he often play a variety of setlists with a lot of deep cuts? I know he had a smaller discography but were the shows just better bc he was younger with more energy/songs were just better?

Wish I coulda been of concert going age in those days. I still think this is the tour is the best I’ve seen them (think my first show was 2006)
The setlists were pretty static on the 90's tours. They'd maybe drop in or out a song every so often through a tour but nothing like the '09 or current tours. I agree with Pheno in that the Downward Spiral and especially the Fragile tours were the peak simply because the sets were so strong and the energy was off the charts. I thought the '05 and '06 tours (or at least the shows I caught) were decent but not enough to go see them again until the NINJA tour and the last shows in LA in '09. In fact, I'd of probably skipped the '06 tour except they had Bauhaus opening for them.

I was considering seeing them the last tour but the mediocre album, the live backing singers and Trent's seeming emphasis on being a more "mature" artiste coupled with clips from the beginning of the tour turned me off. The only reason I'm going this tour is because Trent seems determined to recapture some of the old energy and unpredictability of better days.

phenobarb_bambalam

#84 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm
Trent seems determined to recapture some of the old energy and unpredictability of better days.
He is that, I think, though I am not sure he is quite delivering on the unpredictability part of it. Will be curious to hear what you think come mid-December.

For a handful of the tours (pre and up to the 'Lights in the Sky' era), I chalked up the static setlist to the increasingly eleaborate light shows which may not have allowed for spontaneity for rotating the set lists, but even at things like the Troubadour show in 2013 where it was as stripped back as it could be, it's been the same old template. I can't complain overly from the shows so far that the set lists haven't been changing....it's just unfortunate (for me!) that few of the rotation songs are things I would give my eye teeth to hear.