Bauhaus

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Bauhaus

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

Made it home in one piece.

Completely forgot that there was a big Hollywood Christmas parade literally blocks away from the Palladium going on this night until I heard about it on the news in the afternoon. Thinking I was going to be in for a hellish drive with closed freeway off ramps, street closures, parking hassles etc, I left much earlier in the afternoon than I normally do for a show in Hollywood and surprisingly lucked out taking a few side streets between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd and was able to park right across the street from the Palladium around 6pm way before doors opened. I did hear that a lot of people had a tough time getting to the Palladium and had to park over a mile away on Santa Monica Blvd. Killed some time at the Starbucks across the street and got in when doors opened at 7pm.

Had way too much time to kill and this towering chick who recognized me from the Guns n' Roses show at the Palladium a couple months back struck up a conversation and offered to buy me a drink - who am I to refuse? She comes back with this double supposed to be Bacardi n' Coke and it tasted nothing like that. Half an hour later, I was pretty wobbly from just one fuckin' drink and wound up buying and downing two bottled waters and a movie theater quality, room temperature hot dog during the opening act to re-hydrate and eventually straighten up. The fact that I didn't eat anything all day no doubt had something to do with it. In the meantime, I picked up a couple shirts and on a rather dumb whim, also bought the band-signed big "Bauhaus Undead" $250(!) coffee table book that Kevin Haskins put out about the band a couple years ago that I later found out originally sold for about "only" $100 unsigned (Do'h!).

The opening act was some goth chick who was some friend of Murphy and two musicians playing Brian Eno-esque ambient stuff. Music wasn't bad and would sound ok chilling on headphones but as an opening act, they were a snoozer. There was no playlist music between acts, just a near-ambient looped guitar drone that went on for the approx 45 minutes between bands. By the time Bauhaus came on around 10pm, my head was alright and had managed to get a pretty good spot about 20 feet back from the stage dead center. They opened with Rosegarden followed by Double Dare and the main set was pretty similar to the previous two shows with Passion Of Lovers minus Kick In The Eye. The other change was the encore was re-arranged for the 3 covers first (Sister Midnight, Telegram Sam, Ziggy) played, then a second encore with Third Uncle as the closer.

Bauhaus sounded pretty great although the Palladium sound itself was a bit muddy at times. I can't say the show was as magical and mind-blowing as the 1998 Palladium reunion shows, certainly not as much a choreographed stage production as that tour. Much more like the 2006 shows I saw, just the guys on stage playing the songs with a few lights and strobes that Murphy would occasionally use for visual effect. And the band seemed pretty rough and rusty in spots, often falling out of time with each other or blowing cues. My impression is that they seemed under-rehearsed.

The first half dozen songs, they pretty much plowed through like they were on the clock but after about half an hour, they seemed to loosen up a bit. But individually, they all sounded and played as impressively as ever. Murphy was really strong on the vocals most of the show as well as a commanding frontman, engaging the audience while toning down the silly posing from days past. Danny Ash remains one of my favorite guitarists and still has it. David J and especially Haskins (who imo was MVP of the band) were spot-on. Most of the show up to the encore, there was very little interaction between the band members, especially between Ash and Murphy - you get the idea they keep a healthy distance from each other.

The audience wasn't the Addams Family freakshow like I saw on the '98 tour or even the '06 show I saw. Pretty eclectic mix of young and old although there were some amusingly gross, morbidly obese goth chicks here and there. Everyone was pretty into the show which ended almost 11pm straight up. Murphy made a few comments during the encores that seemed to indicate they've worked out their personal issues (again) and will do more shows in 2020. I'd bet they're going The Misfits route and will do occasional one-off shows here and there going forward so as not to blow up whatever delicate band politics with long tours.

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Okay, thank you for the descriptive review Pandemonium.
It sounds like the band showed up, then they performed and then it was over.
:lol:

Not knocking your review, just sounds like a little let down. Yeah, that's kv smug as a bug over there. :hehe:

Sorry you got sidetracked by a spiked drink.
Did this chick just take off? What was the point of that? You still have your wallet?

:noclue:

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm
Okay, thank you for the descriptive review Pandemonium.
It sounds like the band showed up, then they performed and then it was over.
:lol:

Not knocking your review, just sounds like a little let down. Yeah, that's kv smug as a bug over there. :hehe:

Sorry you got sidetracked by a spiked drink.
Did this chick just take off? What was the point of that? You still have your wallet?

Going backwards.... Yeah, she took off after about half an hour’s worth of chatting. She was nice and the drink probably cost her at least $20. It was after she wandered off, I noticed I was feeling really buzzed, but more like “vertigo” buzzed versus “happy ta meetcha” buzzed. At that point I hit the merch table by the bar behind the VIP tables because they had a small line versus the one in the lobby which had about 60+ people lined up to buy stuff. I figured I’d maybe just get a single shirt but when I got to the table I saw the pricey book and thumbed through a copy and on a slightly impaired whim bought one along with a couple shirts. Almost immediately, I’m thinking I needed to screw my head on straight and got some water and a hot dog before I made any more costly impulse decisions.

As for the band and show itself, Bauhaus had to hit a very high mark to match the Palladium show I saw in 1998. That was one of those perfect shows made great by a bunch of factors coming together at the same time - first time seeing the band, great, bizarro audience (there was a couple tripping on something dancing buck naked near us) and a perfect setlist. Last night was like comparing Janes Hollywood Palladium ‘90 to Janes ‘97 reunion. ‘97 was great but it wasn’t total nirvana like ‘90. Bauhaus is still a great live band and the music still sounds like nothing of it’s time, or now for that matter. But as I said, they seemed a bit rusty playing together and at times, it seemed a bit perfunctory. It still was a lot better then the show I saw them open for NIN in ‘06.

BTW, reading the book, there’s a few pages of a handful of musicians paying tribute to Bauhaus including Eric Avery.

mockbee

#24 Post by mockbee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Okay, I saw the '05 show in Portland at the Roseland and liked it very much, however I had nothing to compare it to.

Glad to see you liked it better than that period! Also, I am sure show to show varies..

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:14 pm

There's a ton of clips from Sunday's show on YouTube but this guy's are among the best ones:

Pandemonium

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:44 am

Looks like there's going to be a 2020 headlining tour. A few dates have leaked:

April 8: Alexandra Palace, London
June 26: Radio City Music Hall, New York (onsale Wed)

Artemis

#27 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:55 pm

More dates:

Bauhaus tour dates
April 8: Alexandra Palace, London, UK
April 28: Frontón México, México City, México
June 3-7: Primavera Sound, Barcelona, Spain
June 12: Release Festival, Athens, Greece
June 26: Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, USA
July 23: The Bomb Factory, Dallas, TX, USA
July 25: Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL, USA

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

that would be a fun show and as a bonus i would leave before morrisey and beat traffic.

mockbee

#30 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm

That WOULD be an awesome show!

What is this a festival? Any details?

I'd make a trip for that, BIG TIME for the top ten billings :nod: and maybe stay for Morrissey....

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:46 pm

creep wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm
that would be a fun show and as a bonus i would leave before morrisey and beat traffic.
:lol: me too...i'm not a fan.

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:27 pm

I'd make a trip for that, BIG TIME for the top ten billings :nod: and maybe stay for Morrissey....
Here's some info...it's a 1 day festival.

https://cruelworldfest.com/

Other than Morrissey, I am VERY interested in this lineup! Wow! I'm going to check flights...

The Grounds at Dignity Health Sports Park - 18400 S Avalon Blvd, Carson, CA 90746
Carson? Is that a suburb of Los Angeles?

mockbee

#33 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm
mockbee wrote:

Other than Morrissey, I am VERY interested in this lineup! Wow! I'm going to check flights...

The Grounds at Dignity Health Sports Park - 18400 S Avalon Blvd, Carson, CA 90746
Thanks for the info Art! I was looking for details at the Dignity Health Sports Park site and they don't have it listed yet.
Yeah, I think I am planning a trip to see my brother in LA on May 2 if this really is happening! Nice its a Saturday!

I could imagine this selling out, probably worth doing the presale! How does that work? GIve them your phone # and $20 and hope for the best??

I've never done presale before.

Carson is almost LA proper between LA and Long Beach, next to Compton. I've driven by a couple times on the 405 but never exited... :noclue:
kv or panda could tell you more, I think kv is the closest in redondo.

mockbee

#34 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Artemis wrote:

What's your top 5-10 bands you are most interested in seeing Art?

Didn't the English Beat guy pass away? Was he not the lead singer?

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm
Artemis wrote:

What's your top 5-10 bands you are most interested in seeing Art?

Didn't the English Beat guy pass away? Was he not the lead singer?
Yes, the English Beant guy- Ranking Roger died. He was the lead in the beginning then left to start General Public. Not sure who will be in this version.

My picks:
Bauhaus
The Church
Gary Numan
London After Midnight
Furs
Echo
The Meteors
Bad Manners
Berlin
Cold Cave

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Artemis wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Thanks for the info Art! I was looking for details at the Dignity Health Sports Park site and they don't have it listed yet.
Yeah, I think I am planning a trip to see my brother in LA on May 2 if this really is happening! Nice its a Saturday!

I could imagine this selling out, probably worth doing the presale! How does that work? GIve them your phone # and $20 and hope for the best??

I've never done presale before.

Carson is almost LA proper between LA and Long Beach, next to Compton. I've driven by a couple times on the 405 but never exited... :noclue:
kv or panda could tell you more, I think kv is the closest in redondo.
I did a little more research and found that Carson is 14 miles from the airport, so seems fairly central.

The pre-sale is easy, just gives you a code to use before the general public sale. The payment plan for this show is optional, I think. Fill out the form to get your code.

I looked into some flights and if I book now, I can get a return flight for under $500 non-stop. That's not bad at all. If I go, I would do a long weekend, like, leave on Thursday, fly back Monday or Tuesday. My passport expired last month, have to get it renewed.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:56 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

My picks:
Bauhaus
The Church
Gary Numan
London After Midnight
Furs
Echo
The Meteors
Bad Manners
Berlin
Cold Cave
echo
public image
bauhaus
berlin
furs
devo
gene loves jezebel
english beat

that's about it for me

Pandemonium

#38 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:48 am

Artemis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm
I did a little more research and found that Carson is 14 miles from the airport, so seems fairly central.

The pre-sale is easy, just gives you a code to use before the general public sale. The payment plan for this show is optional, I think. Fill out the form to get your code.

I looked into some flights and if I book now, I can get a return flight for under $500 non-stop. That's not bad at all. If I go, I would do a long weekend, like, leave on Thursday, fly back Monday or Tuesday. My passport expired last month, have to get it renewed.
The Dignity Sports Park is a small soccer stadium where the LA Galaxy play that's really conveniently located right off the 405 freeway next to the 110 and 91 freeways. I just went by there today going to Torrance. I think it holds maybe 30,000 people. It's a stones throw from the golf course and the air field where the Goodyear Blimp was based. Carson itself isn't much to brag about, on the other side of the freeway is a massive gas production facility so I wouldn't recommend any places there to sight see, lol! But it's barely 30 minutes south of LAX even in heavy traffic and not much further from LA/Hollywood proper.

IMO, even with such a great line-up, I would be shocked if this thing sold out before the show date. I'll likely do the usual wait and see a few days before the show and look for bargains on Ticketmaster or whatever.

SR

#39 Post by SR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 am

I did post grad work at CSDH which is it's neighbor. I live in Westchester and the 14 miles from here varied radically depending upon time of day, and day itself. It could take over an hour or just about 20 minutes. Plenty of parking and easy access from the 405; my wife has been a million times for various soccer events. It's quite a few names, but the longest lasting was The Home Depot Center. I think the LA Chargers played here for the last couple of seasons as well.

kv

#40 Post by kv » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:44 pm

It was Stubhub center for a while...There was a Lollapalooza on site back in the day...parking for the football games was a fucking NIGHTMARE but prob way more people then will go to this....I also have no clue what they mean by "the Grounds" is it just everyone on the field?...but ya def easy to get to....

I personally feel like I saw all these bands enough 25 years ago...but hey..one less person to fight over tickets with :thumb:

mockbee

#41 Post by mockbee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:39 pm

It's 4:30, time for dinner kv...

:lolol:

kv

#42 Post by kv » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:57 pm

About fucking time! I've been waiting for minutes now!

And fuck cats!

Juana

#43 Post by Juana » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Yeah was the Home Depot center for a bit, the Galaxy play there I believe, I think the Chargers were using it prior to the complex they will share with the Rams opening I believe next year

mockbee

#44 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Artemis wrote:

Did you get the presale tx?

I am waffling on making the trip, need to save money, but would really like to go. Already up to $155/tkt essentially full price. Suppose I will wait. My brother is out of town and I can crash at his place but flights would still be $200+....then a car, hassle bla blah....
great....im kv...... :lol:

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:58 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Artemis wrote:

Did you get the presale tx?

I am waffling on making the trip, need to save money, but would really like to go. Already up to $155/tkt essentially full price. Suppose I will wait. My brother is out of town and I can crash at his place but flights would still be $200+....then a car, hassle bla blah....
great....im kv...... :lol:

No, I didn't buy tickets. I emailed some friends to gauge interest. I don't want to go by myself to this, would be fun to travel with at least one person to share expenses for hotel and car. I doubt I'll end up going though. I need to save money too. The entire electrical system and domestic plumbing in my building is being replaced this year with a hefty special assessment. My share for my apartment is $26K with another 5-15k for electrical work inside my place. Also, the exchange rate isn't that great for Canadians right now.