Page 4 of 5

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 am
by nausearockpig

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 am
by Mescal
Yeah, difficult song to play on bass.

But her timing's off

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:58 pm
by nausearockpig
See the smile never leaving DCs face.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 am
by Bandit72
I'm a TOOL noob. They're a band for some reason I have never listened to for no particular reason. This morning I just so happened to click on them after years of them not wanting to be on Spotify and listened to The Pot which I did actually enjoy.

There must be loads of Tool aficionados out there. Which album should I listen to first?? :noclue:

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:51 am
by nausearockpig
Ænima. That’s their finest work.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:09 am
by Mescal
I prefer Lateralus.

Aenima is good too though.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 am
by Hokahey
Start from the beginning and hear the evolution.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am
by kv
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 am
Start from the beginning and hear the evolution.
:hehe: yup...start where they started, their first EP "opiate", first full length "undertow" and so on...some love the later tool, I'm of the earlier stuff

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am
by Mescal
I like Opiate. It's raw and punky.

Never had much love for Undertow though :wavesad:

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am
by Hokahey
Aenema was their peak. Lateralus was still incredible, but started to show signs of "paint by numbers" Tool. 10,000 Days was good. The new one does absolutely nothing for me.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:45 pm
by kv
Mescal wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am
I like Opiate. It's raw and punky.
It's my fav of them all...for exactly your reasons..and it was the first I heard of tool...i prob wouldn't have listened to their later stuff without it

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am
by Mescal
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am
Aenema was their peak. Lateralus was still incredible, but started to show signs of "paint by numbers" Tool. 10,000 Days was good. The new one does absolutely nothing for me.
I like the new one ...

At least it's not 'paint by numbers Tool. They tried to do something new and it's still Tool.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:48 am
by Hype
I think Undertow is my ultimate fav, but Opiate is the one that I play the most. TOOL is one of those bands from that era that I find it hard to go back to. Like RATM. They're not timeless, despite how incredible they are. They suit a very specific mood and time and it's difficult to enjoy them outside of that.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 am
by Hokahey
Mescal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am
Aenema was their peak. Lateralus was still incredible, but started to show signs of "paint by numbers" Tool. 10,000 Days was good. The new one does absolutely nothing for me.
I like the new one ...

At least it's not 'paint by numbers Tool. They tried to do something new and it's still Tool.
I disagree. It sounds exactly like paint by numbers Tool. I can't remember a single song from it.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 am
by nausearockpig
Maynards lyrics and vocals on the latest record are weak as.

I know he’s getting older and his voice isn’t there like in his youth but still. That record was not worth the wait. Those lyrics and melodies were phoned in.

I find Undertow to be too dirgy and droning. I only love the first three tracks (Intolerance, Prison Sex & Sober), the rest are too meh.

Opiate is like someone else said, punky for TOOL. From what I’ve read they put their hardest songs on that record. Cold & Ugly, and Part of Me are fucking insane.

Lateralus has some standout tracks but really, it’s 45% filler. Same goes for 10,000 Days.

If you’re really keen to immerse yourself, go buy a 2TB Drive the go here. https://tooldriveproject.net/

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 am
by nausearockpig
kv wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 am
Start from the beginning and hear the evolution.
:hehe: yup...start where they started, their first EP "opiate", first full length "undertow" and so on...some love the later tool, I'm of the earlier stuff
I would do that but do it old skool. Listen to one album on repeat for a month or three going back to revisit older songs before moving onto the next. I don’t think it’s the same nowadays with the streamings. Back in the olden times we’d listen to an album forever knowing every nook and cranny before the next one came out. Now you can zip thru a discography without fully immersing yourself into a state of true love.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:00 am
by clickie
When I used to play Undertow I would start around the 4th or 5th song

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 pm
by Mescal
nausearockpig wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 am


I find Undertow to be too dirgy and droning. I only love the first three tracks (Intolerance, Prison Sex & Sober), the rest are too meh.

Lateralus has some standout tracks but really, it’s 45% filler. Same goes for 10,000 Days.

I agree with Undertow. First three tracks are killer, rest is too droney, with disgustpated or whats it called talking the cake.

I also like Jerk Off a lot from Opiate.

I agree with 10.000 days, that 45 % is killer.

Don't understand that from Lateralus though, that's all killer no filler.

The Grudge, schism, parabola, reflection, ....

Their finest hour imo.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:37 pm
by nausearockpig
Mescal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 pm
nausearockpig wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 am


I find Undertow to be too dirgy and droning. I only love the first three tracks (Intolerance, Prison Sex & Sober), the rest are too meh.

Lateralus has some standout tracks but really, it’s 45% filler. Same goes for 10,000 Days.

I agree with Undertow. First three tracks are killer, rest is too droney, with disgustpated or whats it called talking the cake.

I also like Jerk Off a lot from Opiate.

I agree with 10.000 days, that 45 % is killer.

Don't understand that from Lateralus though, that's all killer no filler.

The Grudge, schism, parabola, reflection, ....

Their finest hour imo.
To me, Lateralus is:

The Grudge - Killer
Eon Blue Apocalypse - Filler
The Patient - Filler
Mantra - Filler
Schism - Killer
Parabol - Killer
Parabola - Killer
Ticks & Leeches - Killer
Lateralus - Killer
Disposition - Filler
Reflection - Filler
Triad - Killer
Faaip de Oiad - Filler

Killer: 7/13 - 54%
Filler: 6/13 - 46%

I've dropped those I've named as Filler from my playlist and the album is so much sweeter. But each to their own.

Re: Then new TOOL song

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:22 pm
by Hokahey
nausearockpig wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:37 pm

The Patient - Filler
Disposition - Filler
Reflection - Filler
Three of my favorite Tool songs. Disposition/Reflection are masterpieces in my opinion. The first time I heard those songs I was in a pitch black area at night, watching a summer storm roll in from miles away and feeling pretty mind blown.