RIP Mark Lanegan

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
bman

RIP Mark Lanegan

#1 Post by bman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Sad right now. I kind of only discovered his solo work a year or two ago. His books are great too. Totally bummed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpkJ6WBOA5M

Artemis

Re: RIP Mark Lanegan

#2 Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Sad news indeed. Another one gone way too soon.. :sad:

I first heard The Screaming Trees in the late 80s when I was living in the UK. I loved Mark Lanegan's voice, that's what hooked me.

Saw ML with the Screaming Trees in '92(I think). Also, the QOTSA at Lolla in '03 in Cincinatti at Riverbend stadium. Sadly, the one and only time I met Angry Canine(board member who passed away).

I enjoyed ML's solo stuff too and the duets he did with Isobel Campbell.

Thanks for the music...RIP

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:53 pm

This is probably the musician death that has hit me the hardest. I could go on and on about it all but I'll just say that I guess.

And leave this if you've never heard it:

And this. This one hurts a lot. I loved Anthony Bourdain.

This has been a bit of a tough day.

kv

#4 Post by kv » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:43 pm

Fucking suuuuucks

guysmiley

#5 Post by guysmiley » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:27 pm

Amazed he made it as long as he did. Fucking sucks. One of my all time favorite voices

phenobarb_bambalam

#6 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Utterly devastated. Lanegan was inner sanctum, for me. As a lyricist and vocalist, there's probably only one other artist that's meant more to be. He's certainly had his ups and downs and it's a shocker that he made it this far, but I just didn't see it ending here and now. Unlike so many other's whose sun dimmed over time, Lanegan peaked late - much later. Even if his most recent work wasn't his strongest for me, one doesn't have to go too far back to find utter magic. He still had it, and his performances were still fucking brilliant.I was blessed to see him dozens of times in countless guises - always phenomenal. All ways. And so humble.

He still had so much to give. So very much. Absolutely gutted.

SR

#7 Post by SR » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:35 am

Just ordered Sing Backwards and Weep. I know next to nothing of him, except his name rings of credibility in my mind. That, and I know Nearly Lost You.

phenobarb_bambalam

#8 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:20 am

SR wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:35 am
Just ordered Sing Backwards and Weep. I know next to nothing of him, except his name rings of credibility in my mind. That, and I know Nearly Lost You.
The body is work is something else, both in terms of quality and quantity. I can't think of many who were as prolific, and as consistent.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:54 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:20 am
SR wrote:
The body is work is something else, both in terms of quality and quantity. I can't think of many who were as prolific, and as consistent.
I scrolled through some music the other day. My initial leanings were towards The Gutter Twins

phenobarb_bambalam

#10 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 pm

SR wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:54 am
SR wrote:
I scrolled through some music the other day. My initial leanings were towards The Gutter Twins
I did like The Gutter Twins album. A lot. But I haven't listened to it in years. I think I like the idea of Dulli more than I like him...or his voice. I'll have to revisit, thanks for the reminder.

'Field Songs' is superb, IMHO. I know a lot of people rave about Bubblegum as peak of his work, but for me it was the former. The preceding albums, for me, had utter gems mixed in with things I liked but didn't love. 'Field Songs' is solid all the way through. The most recent albums saw him experimenting more and more with what seemed to me like cheap/shitty electro. The songs were there, the voice was there - I just didn't love the latter incarnations of the Mark Lanegan Band. For me, nothing came close to him backed by an acoustic guitar. I am reluctant to share live performances as relative intros, but as an example:

SR

#11 Post by SR » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:39 am

Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 pm
SR wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:54 am
SR wrote:
I did like The Gutter Twins album. A lot. But I haven't listened to it in years. I think I like the idea of Dulli more than I like him...or his voice. I'll have to revisit, thanks for the reminder.

'Field Songs' is superb, IMHO. I know a lot of people rave about Bubblegum as peak of his work, but for me it was the former. The preceding albums, for me, had utter gems mixed in with things I liked but didn't love. 'Field Songs' is solid all the way through. The most recent albums saw him experimenting more and more with what seemed to me like cheap/shitty electro. The songs were there, the voice was there - I just didn't love the latter incarnations of the Mark Lanegan Band. For me, nothing came close to him backed by an acoustic guitar. I am reluctant to share live performances as relative intros, but as an example:

Good on the 101. Thanks. your post came the day after I received SBaW. It was in Polish. Sending it back today and will have to wait for the version I can read.

Matov

#12 Post by Matov » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:37 am

Hi all, it's been a while... a couple years id say. Just literally came to see if there'd been any repercussions at all to Lanegan's passing here, as i still haven't gotten over it.
I hear and feel you all, he was really otherwordly and right up there with the best of em. Got to meet him once after watching him play and as said before, so humble.
Rest in peace Dark Mark we love you :heart:

phenobarb_bambalam

#13 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:56 pm

Matov wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:37 am
Hi all, it's been a while... a couple years id say. Just literally came to see if there'd been any repercussions at all to Lanegan's passing here, as i still haven't gotten over it.
I hear and feel you all, he was really otherwordly and right up there with the best of em. Got to meet him once after watching him play and as said before, so humble.
Rest in peace Dark Mark we love you :heart:
A month on and still trying to wrap my head around it Won't happen. Cheers.