Dave like style guitar in foreign places

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
MicrowavedGerbil

Dave like style guitar in foreign places

#1 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:40 am

I wanna make a thread about guitar players from all over the globe we listen too who may (in our opinion) sound so similar to dave... I'm an American who's parents are from Baja California mexico.. christian castro is a God in mexico and I believe his guitar player has extremely similar vibes to dave... basically a guitar part we can close our eyes and visualize dave being the guitar player.. might make a fun thread... or not.. drunken thoughts but anyway...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JIfm1sZi-Zw[/youtube]

Not sure how to single out a certain piece.. so I posted the entire video but the time stamp I want to show you is the solo at the 2:00 minute mark..

clickie

Re: Dave like style guitar in foreign places

#2 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:46 am

This song reminds me of the headspace Dave is in lately

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:20 pm

The closest I have ever heard that had that kind of "Cure meets Metal" thing is Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle, but he uses Les Pauls and so many digital effects that they don't end up sounding even close to similar in terms of tone.

Always wish I could have heard those 2 make a record together though. I think they'd compliment each other well.

MicrowavedGerbil

#4 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:09 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:20 pm
The closest I have ever heard that had that kind of "Cure meets Metal" thing is Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle, but he uses Les Pauls and so many digital effects that they don't end up sounding even close to similar in terms of tone.

Always wish I could have heard those 2 make a record together though. I think they'd compliment each other well.
Noob question. Forgive me in 30. Never really got into APC but I always thought James iha was the main riff writer. How does the band work with two guitars?

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:09 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:

Noob question. Forgive me in 30. Never really got into APC but I always thought James iha was the main riff writer. How does the band work with two guitars?
James Iha is a hired gun for the live band only. He replaced Troy Van Leuwan, who left to join QOTSA. But James, since he rejoined Smashing Pumpkins, has been replaced by Greg Edwards from Failure.

Billy Howerdel is the creative force in the band and writes all the music.

MicrowavedGerbil

#6 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:53 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:09 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:

James Iha is a hired gun for the live band only. He replaced Troy Van Leuwan, who left to join QOTSA. But James, since he rejoined Smashing Pumpkins, has been replaced by Greg Edwards from Failure.

Billy Howerdel is the creative force in the band and writes all the music.