RHCP

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Re: RHCP

#551 Post by SR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 am

good pairing here.....very pricey......revisted IWY from beginning to end yesterday.....sounds better than ever.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... y-20469873.
Chili Peppers, Neil Young to Perform for Charity
abcnews.go.com

Juana

#552 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:18 pm

SR wrote:good pairing here.....very pricey......revisted IWY from beginning to end yesterday.....sounds better than ever.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... y-20469873.
Chili Peppers, Neil Young to Perform for Charity
abcnews.go.com
I actually like the album quite a bit, I also revisited BTW too and I really like that album a lot now. Not so much when it came out though.

Matz

#553 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm keepin' it old school when it comes to RHCP and I always will, I can't use much of that 2000-2012 RHCP for much. This song completely destroys any track from the aforementioned period......this one goes out to you Warped!

Pandemonium

#554 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 pm

I almost posted this in the "Funny" thread......

nausearockpig

#555 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I almost posted this in the "Funny" thread......

At 0:50 & 0:57 you can hear someone saying "Dave Navarro?"....

I listened to OHM again yesterday... some interesting guitar sounds on there, and some great guitar/bass combos..

SR

#556 Post by SR » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:30 pm

The back story on this is the Rolling Stone's management put out a call that the band would be leaving the premises and that anyone other than the ordained Stones group or entourage should use alternate entrances or exits until they departed. AK either did not know or didn't care. I hope it was the latter.

Pandemonium

#557 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:09 pm

One of the things that's always been enduring about Flea is his almost child-like attitude towards everything good or bad. It's a shame he had to go to such lengths to explain what is otherwise an obvious deal (miming at the Superbowl)....

http://redhotchilipeppers.com/news/454- ... -from-flea

Bandit72

#558 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:02 am

Question : One Hot Minute

I know John Frusciante was off on one with his addictions etc.., but do you think that album would have gone in the same direction both in sound and style had Dave not been a part of it? I'm not sure how much of an input Dave had with it all, but for me the guitar is still very Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I just wondered if that was the bands idea or if Dave changed his style to suit the chilis?

OR DO YOU ALL DISAGREE? :lol:

Matz

#559 Post by Matz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

if John had played on a follow up to BSSM it would not have sounded remotely similar to OHM. It's Jane's Addiction meets RHCP in short and Dave and his style is all over it.......and I love it and I'd so wish we'd have gotten another one from that line up instead of Californication :davegoatee:
but at the same time I'd also have loved to have heard what Frusciante would have done with the next album after BSSM....but instead he threw away his guitar chops, or a big percentage of em anyway, and the rest is history

Mescal

#560 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 am

Matz wrote:if John had played on a follow up to BSSM it would not have sounded remotely similar to OHM. It's Jane's Addiction meets RHCP in short and Dave and his style is all over it.......and I love it and I'd so wish we'd have gotten another one from that line up instead of Californication :davegoatee:
but at the same time I'd also have loved to have heard what Frusciante would have done with the next album after BSSM....but instead he threw away his guitar chops, or a big percentage of em anyway, and the rest is history
I agree about the Dave sound.

But I read somewhere that it was Flea who wrote most (if not all) of the songs. That is was more of a Flea album than a group effort

Bandit72

#561 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 am

Matz wrote:It's Jane's Addiction meets RHCP in short and Dave and his style is all over it.....
You think? I think the guitar is very similar to BSSM. It's not Jane's Addiction Dave that's for sure.

Juana

#562 Post by Juana » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am

Matz wrote:if John had played on a follow up to BSSM it would not have sounded remotely similar to OHM. It's Jane's Addiction meets RHCP in short and Dave and his style is all over it.......and I love it and I'd so wish we'd have gotten another one from that line up instead of Californication :davegoatee:
John can still play he just chose not to. Check out some of the live footage out there. He just didn't want to be a guitar hero.

Matz

#563 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 pm

I disagree. I'd bet anything in the world that he couldn't go in and re-record Mothe'rs Milk right now if he wanted. It's way to technical for him these days and it also was in 2000 for that matter. The years he spent 'going inside' doing drugs and communicating with spirits and painting etc he lost a lot of edge imo. Both creatively and technically. He's still great, don't get me wrong but he'll never do anything as cool as BSSM and Niandra Lades again imo

Matz

#564 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Matz wrote:It's Jane's Addiction meets RHCP in short and Dave and his style is all over it.....
You think? I think the guitar is very similar to BSSM. It's not Jane's Addiction Dave that's for sure.
I don't think so. I think songs like Coffee shop, Warped, One big mob, My friends, well all of them are very far away stylse wise from BSSM. The dry sound favored by Frusciante is very different from Dave's who generally uses more distortion and effects and especially much delay. Also, John did very few overdubs on BSSM and Dave does a ton of them on OHM and often has 2-3 guitars playing at the same time. I think they're super different and I love them both. If I had to choose which one I'd bring to a desert island I'd go with OHM though. Love the mood of it and the playing is some of the best Dave's ever done and Flea too

Juana

#565 Post by Juana » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 am

Matz wrote:I disagree. I'd bet anything in the world that he couldn't go in and re-record Mothe'rs Milk right now if he wanted. It's way to technical for him these days and it also was in 2000 for that matter. The years he spent 'going inside' doing drugs and communicating with spirits and painting etc he lost a lot of edge imo. Both creatively and technically. He's still great, don't get me wrong but he'll never do anything as cool as BSSM and Niandra Lades again imo
I think that is more because he doesn't want to and he has already done that. I agree he has lost his edge but the chops are still there, he is just choosing to not use them. He lets them out here and there and basically teases people. If you can catch any of his solo shows he will throw something in that makes you think he is about to go off and like a douchebag hipster he holds back. I wish he would release a guitar focused album instead of the bullshit synth pop he has been doing but it is what it is.

dannyboy

#566 Post by dannyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am

I bought IWY when it came out but have only been listening to it lately. It's good, missing the danger but I like Josh's sounds.

Just stumbled upon this old interview from years of olde

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/a ... -interview

Artemis

#567 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:19 am

Wow look at this clip from 1984! I've never seen this before.
RHCP's first TV appearance.
Not sure if it is funny or sad, but Dave Navarro is currently sporting the same the same haircut as Anthony from 30 years ago.

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/watc ... ance-1984/

Matz

#568 Post by Matz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:54 pm

No it's ironic, cause the two hate each other.

crater

#569 Post by crater » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:46 am

Artemis wrote: Not sure if it is funny or sad, but Dave Navarro is currently sporting the same the same haircut as Anthony from 30 years ago.
The haircut Dave has now is more Tegan and Sara than Anthony from 30 years ago.

And the haircut Anthony had 30 years ago was the same haircut I had as a little skater kid at around the same time :hehe:

Tyler Durden

#570 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Wow...that video reaffirms how Flea has been carrying Anthony for 30+ years.

Flea was a beast from the beginning...whereas Anthony got really fucking lucky.

Matz

#571 Post by Matz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:35 pm

it's not quite that simple

Artemis

#572 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Released 20 years ago today...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/red-hot- ... ot-minute/
20 Years Ago: Red Hot Chili Peppers Go Through Turmoil to Create ‘One Hot Minute’

The Red Hot Chili Peppers needed nearly four years to finish One Hot Minute, but the title was still at least partly appropriate, given that it roughly summed up the length of time it took the band to start falling apart after the breakout success of their previous album.
The Chili Peppers had already weathered a career’s worth of storms by the time they released their fifth LP, 1991′s Blood Sugar Sex Magik, including the death of original guitarist Hillel Slovak, the abrupt departure of drummer Jack Irons, and singer Anthony Kiedis’ life-threatening struggles with drug addiction — and Magik‘s multi-platinum sales initially seemed to signal the start of a new, less turbulent chapter in the band’s history. But that kind of popularity can affect artists in unpredictable ways, and things started getting bumpy before they’d even managed to finish the tour.
For guitarist John Frusciante, who was only 18 when he replaced Slovak in the lineup, the Chili Peppers’ increased profile proved particularly problematic. “It was too high, too far, too soon,” he told NY Rock years later. “Everything happened — or better, everything seemed to be happening — at once, and I just couldn’t cope with it.”
Frusciante’s discomfort manifested itself in a number of ways, starting with band arguments that spread into the guitarist tanking performances on what was shaping up as the group’s biggest tour to that point — a tour that was thrown into disarray when he quit during a series of Japanese dates in 1992.
The group would eventually find a replacement in the form of former Jane’s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, but they’d still face some serious obstacles on the way to their next LP, starting with a trip to the dentist Kiedis took in early 1994. Several years sober at the time, Kiedis suffered a serious relapse after being given prescription painkillers, and his inability to stay straight prolonged the recording process considerably.
“Anthony is not a party drug user,” bassist Flea told GQ in 2011. “When he goes on a binge, he disappears for weeks at a time. We finished recording the music for One Hot Minute in 1994, but he didn’t get around to the vocals for another year.”
Substance abuse wasn’t the only struggle Kiedis faced. As he later admitted in his autobiography, Scar Tissue, he also found it difficult to find a creative groove with Navarro, whose writing style differed from his predecessors’ in ways that stymied the singer. “John Frusciante had been a true anomaly when it came to songwriting. He made it even easier than Hillel Slovak to create music, even though I’d known Hillel for years,” wrote Kiedis. “I just figured that was how all guitar players were — that you showed them your lyrics and sang a little bit and the next thing you knew you had a song. That didn’t happen right off the bat with Dave.”
The end result, released Sept. 12, 1995, proved a dark stylistic detour in a number of ways. Navarro’s arrival triggered a shift in the Chili Peppers’ sound, and Kiedis’ struggles forced his bandmates to step up further — including Flea, who contributed lyrics for the first time as well as handling lead vocals on the song “Pea.” Although radio proved receptive to the album, sending the singles “Warped,” “My Friends,” and “Aeroplane” into the upper reaches of the Mainstream and Modern Rock charts, overall reaction was mixed, and sales fell short of the standard set by Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

And even after the album came out, the Chili Peppers’ troubles weren’t over. A planned tour was scrapped after 16 shows when drummer Chad Smith broke his wrist, and although they managed to get through their 1996 dates largely without incident, they were forced to cancel another round of dates the following year — Kiedis, injured in a motorcycle accident, fell into another relapse after his hospital stay, and overall band morale was at a low point. The group’s only concert of the year, at the Fuji Rock Festival on July 26, 1997, ended up being cut short by a typhoon.
Something was bound to break, and the weak link turned out to be Navarro, who’d entered his own spiral into substance abuse and remained an awkward creative fit for Kiedis. During sessions for an attempted follow-up to One Hot Minute, those tensions boiled over and he was ultimately fired — clearing the way for Frusciante’s surprising return in the spring of 1998, the renewed energy from which spilled directly over into a trio of bestselling LPs that started with Californication the following year.
Kiedis looked back on his excitement over Frusciante’s return in Scar Tissue, describing the reunited lineup’s first jam session as a pivotal moment that proved, despite everything they’d been through, the group still had music left to make. “For me, that was the defining moment of what would become the next six years of our lives together. That was when I knew that this was the real deal, that the magic was about to happen again,” he wrote. “Suddenly we could all hear, we could all listen, and instead of being caught up in our finite little balls of bulls—, we could all become players in that great universal orchestra again.”
Perhaps unsurprisingly, songs from One Hot Minute have remained largely absent from the Chili Peppers’ live sets over the years, something that — as Smith hinted during a Reddit AMA in 2014 — seems motivated by the band members’ collective desire to move past a particularly troubled period in their shared history.
“We don’t really feel that connected to that record anymore,” observed Smith. “No special reason, not to say we would never play those songs — but we don’t feel that emotionally connected to that music right now.”

Matz

#573 Post by Matz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:48 am

a little saddened by Chad's comment

kv

#574 Post by kv » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Makes sense...hard to be connected to what you don't play

wally

#575 Post by wally » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 am

saw this morning that RHCP is playing The BellyUp next weekend. tix are 1000$ though as it's a benefit. :yikes: