RHCP

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
cashinnowperry

Re: RHCP

#101 Post by cashinnowperry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:38 pm

not bad at all. definitely the "red hot older peppers." it's a grower. not really blown away by any of it, but flea sounds fantastic as always.

Tyler Durden

#102 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 pm

SR wrote:In the world of big time music integrity, the RHCP's aren't the big fish. They are the whale. :nod:
If RHCP are the whale...Led Zeppelin is the mother fucking ocean. :rockon:

Pandemonium

#103 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:not bad at all. definitely the "red hot older peppers." it's a grower. not really blown away by any of it, but flea sounds fantastic as always.
The only thing that immediately bugs me is on a few tracks, usually with Flea starting off at the beginning of a tune, the levels (such as the bass) are almost clumsily dropped and raised as the band and the vox kicks in.

ant

#104 Post by ant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm on my second listen and I'm really liking this record. It's definitely sounding more like Flea was the big creative force on this one. Really like the tracks with the piano and there's new sounds and definite growth on this record. I think maybe I wanted to not like this record since John is gone but Josh is holding his own and to be quite honest I think AK sounds really good.

Looking forward to picking up a hard copy at my local record store on Tuesday.

Juana

#105 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Like I said earlier in the thread it was a different type of RHCP record. You can tell John is gone but its not terrible.

Warped

#106 Post by Warped » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Monarchy of roses - does nothing for me. I can't even listen till the end. :noclue:

SR

#107 Post by SR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
SR wrote:In the world of big time music integrity, the RHCP's aren't the big fish. They are the whale. :nod:
If RHCP are the whale...Led Zeppelin is the mother fucking ocean. :rockon:
Well, I was speaking of the manner in which they distribute their earnings. Each member gets 25% and that doesn't reflect the proportionality of musical contributions, but it makes for a good atmosphere.

I don't know how Zeppelin distributed, but I do know Peter Grant was a thug.

And we all know the effect greed had on Jane's.

Axl created mass destrction as well with his clan.

cursed male

#108 Post by cursed male » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am

Here's a straight link to iTunes Music Store's free stream of the new album. I'm sure there's still a few out there who hasn't catched this (or haven't downloaded it from elsewhere)...

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 5&s=143447

At first listen I was positively surprised, especially after hearing the dissapointingly mellow first single, but that's kinda of wearing off now. Not a bad at all but I would have hoped for a more energetic album for a change. Like someone already mentioned there's too many slow tempo songs on the album. There's not enough highs with the lows. One would have thought that with the departure of Frusciante the band would have naturally wanted to make a more rockin' album. But sadly no. They don't want to risk alienating the masses and hurting record sales by diverting too much from the commercially proven mellow formula that the RHCP have sticked to for the past 10 years or so...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#109 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:44 am

cursed male wrote:Here's a straight link to iTunes Music Store's free stream of the new album. I'm sure there's still a few out there who hasn't catched this (or haven't downloaded it from elsewhere)...

At first listen I was positively surprised, especially after hearing the dissapointingly mellow first single, but that's kinda of wearing off now. Not a bad at all but I would have hoped for a more energetic album for a change. Like someone already mentioned there's too many slow tempo songs on the album. There's not enough highs with the lows. One would have thought that with the departure of Frusciante the band would have naturally wanted to make a more rockin' album. But sadly no. They don't want to risk alienating the masses and hurting record sales by diverting too much from the commercially proven mellow formula that the RHCP have sticked to for the past 10 years or so...

They're old now. I can deal with them slowing down, so long as the songs are interesting and not about space, Eric Avery or Etty.

Larry B.

#110 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 am

Red Old Chilame Peppers

Matov

#111 Post by Matov » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:17 am

Larry B. wrote:Red Old Chilame Peppers
:flip:

Tyler Durden

#112 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 am

hokahey wrote:
cursed male wrote:Here's a straight link to iTunes Music Store's free stream of the new album. I'm sure there's still a few out there who hasn't catched this (or haven't downloaded it from elsewhere)...

They're old now. I can deal with them slowing down, so long as the songs are interesting and not about space, Eric Avery or Etty.
:hehe:

cursed male

#113 Post by cursed male » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:27 am

hokahey wrote:They're old now. I can deal with them slowing down, so long as the songs are interesting and not about space, Eric Avery or Etty.
Well, I can't argue with that...

Juana

#114 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I think overall its good I think Josh's playing while different than John's does complement the sound of this record.

Tyler Durden

#115 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 am

Okay, "Brendan's Death Song" (written for the late Brendan Mullen...author of Whores) is amazing!

This album is great. To me, "By The Way" was Fru's best post-BSSM effort with the band. This new album is easily just as good, if not better.

SR

#116 Post by SR » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Latest texted report from a half hour ago.

The opening band for the benefit concert was a group of teachers from the Silverlake Conservatory. They sucked (apparently), but were saved by Chad sitting in at the end of their set.

Roadies are performing the reset on stage now. I'm going out on a limb and declaring Maggie the opener.

I thought this gig would be over at 10....gotta drive back to downtown now around midnight. :banghead:

Juana

#117 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:33 am

Yeah this is definitely growing on me even more.

SR

#118 Post by SR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 am

General report from 16 year olds.....

:banana:

and, they closed with Sir Psycho. :nod: :rockon:

AK sounds and looks wonderful.

Chad played around with mad fills where he usually just phones it in.

Flea. Nuff said.

JK killed it. Apparently he was deeply into the music looking for distortions and mad sounds from the pedals and the proximity to cases.

Set was an equal spattering of new to old...Opened with Monarchy, didn't play Death Song, but Ethiopia was stellar.

I can't wait for the tour on this one, but as of right now they are refreshed and devoted to this thing.

Love these madmen. :rockon:

Larry B.

#119 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:13 am

SR wrote: JK killed it. Apparently he was deeply into the music looking for distortions and mad sounds from the pedals and the proximity to cases.
:jerkit: :jerkit:

"hey, look at me! I grab my guitar and I show it to my amps so that a very weird noise comes out of em LULZ i am best guitarist i rock star".

I guess it can impress 16 year olds.

SR

#120 Post by SR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:06 am

My dad can beat up your dad on the internet. Uh huh.

They should have picked up the Edge if they really wanted the entire spectrum of fx and simplicity. He's not there yet, but he's tryin by golly. :deadhorse:

Tyler Durden

#121 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 am

Larry B. wrote:
SR wrote: JK killed it. Apparently he was deeply into the music looking for distortions and mad sounds from the pedals and the proximity to cases.

"hey, look at me! I grab my guitar and I show it to my amps so that a very weird noise comes out of em LULZ i am best guitarist i rock star".

Larry, have you even listened to this new album? :hs:

Matz

#122 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 am

fuckin Itunes bullshit, dont they stream it anywhere else?

Larry B.

#123 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

Larry, have you even listened to this new album? :hs:
Only 3 songs, and they ALL sucked balls, heavily. I can't believe how those guys can be making such awful, easy, risk-less, lazy music.

Warped

#124 Post by Warped » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 am

Yes, i made it through (all of) it. And i don't like one song of it too.

And i agree with Larry, risk-less and lazy are the right words for this record. :no:

But it will sell well i am sure.

creep
Site Admin

#125 Post by creep » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 am

the album did nothing for me either. i gave it two listens. a couple interesting songs but none that really grab me. if they are going to continue with this softer sound that they seem to be doing i miss the harmonies with ak and jf on the choruses.