The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#241 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm bummed Darcy won't be there. I know Billy did everything anyway, but I want to see the original band. Not sure I'll go now. It would be hard to justify buying a ticket Beyond knowing I'll be seeing all original members.

SR

#242 Post by SR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

According to the SP’s, she’s been repeatedly invited into the fold....no specifics on moola though.....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... on-w516638

Pandemonium

#243 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm

What a headcase. D'Arcy is The Pumpkin's own Steven Adler (Guns n' Roses goofball original drummer).

https://www.alternativenation.net/smash ... -20-years/

I can't imagine what kind of hell it would be to be stuck in a studio with Corgan's ego and D'Arcy's annoying personality recording those last couple'a albums.

SR

#244 Post by SR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 am

I always thought Adler was fairly well appreciated by at least Duff and slash, even mourned in his absence. I follow John 5 on IG, and he popps up in holiday photos at parties with him and
Nikki....the former never drank and the latter is clean and sober. D'Arcy seems to be afflicted by the common asshole syndrome explained by 'I may not be right, but I'm NEVER wrong'....a perpetual victim.

Pandemonium

#245 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

SR wrote:I always thought Adler was fairly well appreciated by at least Duff and slash, even mourned in his absence. I follow John 5 on IG, and he popps up in holiday photos at parties with him and
Nikki....the former never drank and the latter is clean and sober. D'Arcy seems to be afflicted by the common asshole syndrome explained by 'I may not be right, but I'm NEVER wrong'....a perpetual victim.
I'm sure based on what's been said that they "like" Adler, but as a reliable band member, he's a trainwreck even after cleaning himself up for the umpteeth time. He was going to play at least a few songs during the very first GnR reunion club show at the Troubadour and a couple days before the gig, screwed up his back. The couple years leading up to the reunion he was doing interviews for anyone that would have him and constantly saying stuff that you know would rub Axl (and probably at least Slash as well) the wrong way.

Speaking of John 5, he recorded a full album with David Lee Roth a couple years ago that's gone unreleased that just about everyone who's heard it say it's the best thing either of them have done in years.

SR

#246 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 am

Many years have passed since the slash bio came out, but in it he's very sympathetic.....though resigned that there was no other option than termination. Too, he much preferred the dirty and powerful drumming Adler brought to the Gn'R sound. I remember the back issue, which seems plausible but could be a ruse to disguise other problems. Dunno. I do know Axl was inclined towards his touring drummer and can easily see the rest of the bands acquiescence to that. Barely a sacrifice. I have a friend that spent a night partying with him (maybe a decade ago) and he said Adler was annihilated and consumed with bitterness mainly towards Axl.

Wow, I've heard nothing on the 5 and DLR album, but would love to hear it. I'm not a huge fan of 5's solo music but am of his playing, his discipline, musical varieties, and intuition

Matz

#247 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 am

John 5's work with DLR is nothing special, just a dumbed down version of what VH used to do. You're not a fan of John 5's solo work? Incredible, I love it, I think he's an amazing songwriter, arranger and guitar player of course with a unique style. Very sophisticated playing if you look closely when it comes to harmony and such. His soloing can be a bit repetitive and robotic at times if you were to critique him a bit but as a whole he's smokin'. I think his solo work is by far the most impressive he's done in his career. An album like God told me to is up there with the best. The Zombie songs I know that he co wrote are mediocre at best

SR

#248 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 am

I'm not disinclined to revisit it. My knowledge of the solo work is limited to casual viewing on YouTube. The genre itself isn't tops on my list either. But like I said, I have lots of respect for him. I was introduced by chance at the Drop in the Bucket charity event years ago and he and DN were part of an ensemble playing together....all covers which he slept walked through, but plenty to motivate me to investigate.

As for the DLR connection, I know he was a hired gun there for live performance but I have yet to hear any originals. Those do interest me; I'll look those up

Mescal

#249 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 am

SR wrote: I have a friend that spent a night partying with him (maybe a decade ago) and he said Adler was annihilated and consumed with bitterness mainly towards Axl.
Isn't this the way Dave Mustaine feels towards the rest of Metallica?

Must be a hard thing to swallow being kicked out of what turned out to be the biggest band(s) in the world

SR

#250 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 am

I think so. At the urging of a friend I read Mustaines auto bio. The vision and determination behind Megadeath was in no small measure motivated by an obsession to best Metallica. Horrible book btw...he's insufferable to linger with even though a book.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#251 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 am

Reading over the text messages between Darcy and Billy, I think it's clear Billy did every thing he could. Darcy comes out looking bad in this in my opinion. The text also made me think that Billy really gets what the fans are looking for out of this, which makes me more inclined to be interested. I guess I'll know in about an hour if they're coming my way or not.

Pandemonium

#252 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Here's the North America dates. I think they are way overestimating the draw for this tour playing 15-20k seat arenas all over the country. I think some of the shows in the typical major markets may do well but I bet shows in arenas in places like Boise and Uncasville are going to have a *lot* of empty seats. I've never seen them live and may hit up the LA Forum show but the fact the floor is all reserved seating is a big negative for me.

Tour dates:
Jul. 12 - Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
Jul. 14 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Chesapeake Energy Arena
Jul. 16 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
Jul. 17 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
Jul. 18 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
Jul. 20 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
Jul. 21 - Louisville, KY @ KFC Yum! Center
Jul. 22 - Atlanta, GA @ Infinite Energy Arena
Jul. 24 - Miami, FL @ AmericanAirlines Arena
Jul. 25 - Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
Jul. 27 - Baltimore, MD @ Royal Farms Arena
Jul. 28 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
Jul. 29 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Jul. 31 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden
Aug. 01 - New York City, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Aug. 04 - Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena
Aug. 05 - Detroit, MI @ Little Caesars Arena
Aug. 07 - Montreal, QC @ Centre Bell
Aug. 08 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
Aug. 11 - Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
Aug. 13 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
Aug. 16 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
Aug. 17 - Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
Aug. 19 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
Aug. 20 - Omaha, NE @ CenturyLink Center
Aug. 21 - Sioux Falls, SD @ Denny Sanford Premier Center
Aug. 24 - Seattle, WA @ KeyArena
Aug. 25 - Portland, OR @ Moda Center
Aug. 27 - Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
Aug. 28 - Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
Aug. 30 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
Sep. 01 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
Sep. 02 - Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
Sep. 04 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Vivint Smart Home Arena
Sep. 05 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
Sep. 07 - Boise, ID @ Ford Idaho Center

clickie

#253 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I agree about overestimating their draw, I checked out the Chicago date thinking maybe a couple nights at Metro since they're from there but c'mon the United Center? They could barely fill that venue in their prime 20 something yrs ago. This is ridiculous. Reminds me of 2004 Lollapalooza, a little overambitious.

creep
Site Admin

#254 Post by creep » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Arenas???? They're crazy

Hype

#255 Post by Hype » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I was asked if I wanted to go see 'em on this tour. I said "eh, they sucked in '07, and they were always a shitty live band."

Not to mention, the ACC sound SUCKS. I saw Rush there once and it was like listening to them on a tape with cheap mono headphones. :neutral:

JOEinPHX

#256 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Here's the North America dates. I think they are way overestimating the draw for this tour playing 15-20k seat arenas all over the country. I think some of the shows in the typical major markets may do well but I bet shows in arenas in places like Boise and Uncasville are going to have a *lot* of empty seats. I've never seen them live and may hit up the LA Forum show but the fact the floor is all reserved seating is a big negative for me.
They can always do the mid-court stage in smaller markets, instead of the far end stage. That cuts a venue in half.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#257 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 pm

I'd go if they were playing St. Louis. I can't see driving 3 hours to Kansas City for this.

clickie

#258 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm

You make the drive about 5 times last season to watch the chiefs play but can't muster up enough energy to see the pumpkins reunite? You have your priorities I guess.

kv

#259 Post by kv » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 pm

It's 2018 pumpkins...ya know 20 years since they mattered... I'd pick the football game too

JOEinPHX

#260 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm

I bought tickets. For the very first show.

I'm looking forward to it. I've never seen them before. I don't care who plays bass. And if there is an extra guitar player (Shroeder) that means the sound will just be a lot more full.

clickie

#261 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:52 pm

My friend who works in the industry says these tickets aren't selling

JOEinPHX

#262 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 pm

clickie wrote:My friend who works in the industry says these tickets aren't selling

It's been reported on in several places too.

Only NY, Chicago, and LA have sold well.

It's been super slow everywhere else.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#263 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm

clickie wrote:You make the drive about 5 times last season to watch the chiefs play but can't muster up enough energy to see the pumpkins reunite? You have your priorities I guess.
I mean, it's not like it's 1993. I'd probably walk to KC if it was.

We'll see. I might go. But it feels a lot like seeing Jane's at this point. Some asshole you know you don't like, wearing a mask of who he used to be, playing music you know you love but without the original bass player. Ehhhhh

Hokahey
Site Admin

#264 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 pm

There are still middle stage floor seats available in KC. Clearly no one is going.

I'll be curious who they tap as an opener. The right band could sway me.

clickie

#265 Post by clickie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Yeah I wonder who's opening, is it gonna be an old band like the pumpkins or someone new. Hopefully not the band Live that Janes brought on tour back in 2001.