The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#141 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:17 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Old people ARE generic. That's the problem.

I saw "The Smashing Pumpkins" in 2007 and they were terrible.
:bs: There are artists in their 50s and up that still put on amazing shows and/or make great albums.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins in 1994 and they were terrible.
Of course there are good artists 50+, but most aren't.
Sure, but old age is just a correlation in the equation; there are plenty of other contributing variables.

Hype

#142 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:19 am

Sure.

I'll just say, instead: The Smashing Pumpkins really suck now, whatever the reason(s). :tiphat: :lol:

Tyler Durden

#143 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Sure.

I'll just say, instead: The Smashing Pumpkins really suck now, whatever the reason(s). :tiphat: :lol:
:lol:

Critical reception would suggest otherwise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_(T ... #Reception

Hype

#144 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 am

:neutral: I don't know how to use critical reception to make what my ears hear sound better.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#145 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote::neutral: I don't know how to use critical reception to make what my ears hear sound better.
:lolol:

Tyler Durden

#146 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote::neutral: I don't know how to use critical reception to make what my ears hear sound better.
Guys, if the new era of Smashing Pumpkins isn't your thing, just admit it. But to compare them to Satellite Party and make blanket statements like "they suck" when the new album has gotten nothing but favourable reviews is just silly. :nod:

Hype

#147 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 am

But that's what "they suck now" means... means I don't like them and they sound like Satellite Party. :lol:

Matz

#148 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Guys, if the new era of Smashing Pumpkins isn't your thing, just admit it. But to compare them to Satellite Party and make blanket statements like "they suck" when the new album has gotten nothing but favourable reviews is just silly. :nod:
I agree, it's not Adore etc. by a long shot but it's way better than TGEA.

I'm a rock snob myself but if you take it too far like i think Hype does here it's a little ridiculous

Hype

#149 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 am

I don't think it's possible to take one's own taste too far...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#150 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

Tyler Durden wrote: Guys, if the new era of Smashing Pumpkins isn't your thing, just admit it.
Admit it? I think I've clearly stated that I think the Smashing Satellite Roses suck.
But to compare them to Satellite Party and make blanket statements like "they suck" when the new album has gotten nothing but favourable reviews is just silly. :nod:
What do critical reviews mean to my taste? It's not silly for me to dislike it. I grew up on the Pumpkins. They were my favorite band at one point. I followed every move Billy made and listened to every song a thousand times over. I thought Mellon Collie began showing cracks in the wall, and then it was downhill ever since. I liked Zwan quite a bit, so it has nothing to do with rehashing a sound. It's either good, or it isn't. I think people were so happy this album wasn't total trash like Zeitgiest and over hyped it.

Tyler Durden

#151 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Maybe I didn't explain things well. Let me draw a comparison. I don't like Rush...but I respect them and believe what they make has value (I would just never listen to it, EVER). If I was to just say they suck and should tour with Nickelback, I'd sound like a fool. :idea: In other words, Rush isn't my thing but I still acknowledge that what they do is good. If you don't like what the Pumpkins are doing these days, that's cool...but to basically say it's garbage is ridiculous (and you probably haven't given the material a fair listen).

Hoka, I've come to the conclusion that you let your own personal nostalgia solely guide your taste in music. The fact that you think the latter work of NIN and Pearl Jam sucks, speaks volumes.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#152 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Maybe I didn't explain things well. Let me draw a comparison. I don't like Rush...but I respect them and believe what they make has value (I would just never listen to it, EVER). If I was to just say they suck and should tour with Nickelback, I'd sound like a fool. :idea: In other words, Rush isn't my thing but I still acknowledge that what they do is good. If you don't like what the Pumpkins are doing these days, that's cool...but to basically say it's garbage is ridiculous (and you probably haven't given the material a fair listen).
Who said they should tour with Nickelback? There's varying levels of garbage. I've given it a fair listen and I don't like it. You do. Great. My opinion is no less valid than yours.
Hoka, I've come to the conclusion that you let your own personal nostalgia solely guide your taste in music. The fact that you think the latter work of NIN and Pearl Jam sucks, speaks volumes.
Funny. I'd suggest the opposite is true, and logically makes more sense. Your nostalgia and love for these bands leads you to want to new material to be good and so you believe it is. You know, nostalgia glasses and all that.

Some of what SP does now, as well as PJ and NIN are just fine. But would if they were a new band releasing those albums would I care? No. And that's the definition of not being blinded by nostalgia, something you clearly seem to be afflicted by.

Pandemonium

#153 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 pm

I see both sides of the argument but a key point is - the vast majority of bands that have been around for a couple decades or more pretty much are a shadow of their former glory days creatively, live and often the soap opera personal dynamics of the band members (past and present). Opinions about the perceived decline of Corgan's music, the new album, etc are just that - opinions, but when your start factoring in a lot of the nonsense Billy's been involved with the past decade or so (the wrestling shtick, the adversarial relationship with his audience especially during shows, filling his current band with physical look-alikes of the original members, etc) that's naturally going to add to any negative opinion of the band and Corgan himself.

Tyler Durden

#154 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Hoka, I've come to the conclusion that you let your own personal nostalgia solely guide your taste in music. The fact that you think the latter work of NIN and Pearl Jam sucks, speaks volumes.
Funny. I'd suggest the opposite is true, and logically makes more sense. Your nostalgia and love for these bands leads you to want to new material to be good and so you believe it is. You know, nostalgia glasses and all that.

Some of what SP does now, as well as PJ and NIN are just fine. But would if they were a new band releasing those albums would I care? No. And that's the definition of not being blinded by nostalgia, something you clearly seem to be afflicted by.
Nah...I fully acknowledge when these bands have made weak albums. I just think that recently, the quality of their output has been on the upswing.

And just to clarify, none of these bands are in heavy rotation for me these days.

Tyler Durden

#155 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Opinions about the perceived decline of Corgan's music, the new album, etc are just that - opinions, but when your start factoring in a lot of the nonsense Billy's been involved with the past decade or so (the wrestling shtick, the adversarial relationship with his audience especially during shows, filling his current band with physical look-alikes of the original members, etc) that's naturally going to add to any negative opinion of the band and Corgan himself.
I agree 100%. :nod:

Matz

#156 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think it's possible to take one's own taste too far...
well, I mean if you're not a SP fan at all to begin with it makes sense of course, I just took it as a given that everyone on this board are fans. Slightly naive maybe.

But if you think that an album like Adore is amazing and that Oceania competely sucks, that doesn't make sense to me.

Hype

#157 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Matz wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think it's possible to take one's own taste too far...
well, I mean if you're not a SP fan at all to begin with it makes sense of course, I just took it as a given that everyone on this board are fans. Slightly naive maybe.

But if you think that an album like Adore is amazing and that Oceania competely sucks, that doesn't make sense to me.
I am an SP fan (like Hoka), I just know what sounds I like, and Oceania doesn't have many of them.

Tyler Durden

#158 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

A great song from Teargarden By Kaleidyscope.

Matz

#159 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm

not feeling that Owata song. This on the other hand, from the same sessions (I guess), is really cool. It sounds like a song that would have blended right in on Adore'

'

Artemis

#160 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Artemis

#161 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 am

Artemis wrote:Billy Corgan interview by Jian Ghomeshi on Q.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/uncut/

http://blip.tv/q-tv/billy-corgan-on-the ... -q-6420259
I hope people will actually listen to the 45 minute interview. It's really pretty good, imo. Jian and Billy are rapping about stuff other than the new album. Some things Billy says are annoying, but overall, very enjoyable.

Matz

#162 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I listened to it and also thought it was cool. One fucked up thing was that he dissed Nine Inch Nails though, pretty surprising.

Tyler Durden

#163 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Matz wrote:I listened to it and also thought it was cool. One fucked up thing was that he dissed Nine Inch Nails though, pretty surprising.
I didn't hear it as a diss...he was just stating that he is taking a different road than NIN.

Thanks for posting this, Artemis. Billy Corgan is always a fascinating guy to hear pontificate on any number of things. While there is a lot I don't agree with him on, there is also a lot I do. I'm just glad he always has the balls to stick his neck out.

Matz

#164 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

I heard as a diss because the interviewer said something like 'what he did with Bowie was cool though' and Billy said 'yeah'. So to me it sounded like they were saying that everything else Trent has ever done sucks. I hope I'm wrong

Tyler Durden

#165 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 am

Another great song from Oceania. How can anyone not like this?