The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#201 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 pm

We're all just Stevie Nicks fans now... :sulk:

JOEinPHX

#202 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 am

hokahey wrote:It's depressing to see the bands from my youth all washed up and playing package tours the way bands from the 70s and 80s did in the 90s.

And charging 90 dollars a ticket too. I was going to go to this, but the ticket prices are ridiculous. Pearl jam charges 75 bucks, and they have all their original members and play 3 hour sets.

Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson charging that much? Not a chance in hell.

crater

#203 Post by crater » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Pearl jam charges 75 bucks, and they have all their original members
They've never broken up, but they've had multiple drummers.

JOEinPHX

#204 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:42 pm

crater wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Pearl jam charges 75 bucks, and they have all their original members
They've never broken up, but they've had multiple drummers.
And are right back with the guy who drummed on their demos for their first album: Matt Cameron

All original members in tact.

crater

#205 Post by crater » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Besides that Pearl Jam 20 documentary (very good btw) I've not given Pearl Jam any attention for probably 20 years now. I just know they've had a lot of different drummers.

JOEinPHX

#206 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Matt Cameron - Ten Demos 1990

Dave Krusen - 1990–1991

Matt Chamberlain - Live drummer 1991

Dave Abbruzzese - 1991–1994

Jack Irons - 1994–1998

Matt Cameron - 1998-Present

Pandemonium

#207 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Jimmy Chamberlin is apparently back again with Billy in the Pumpkins:

JOEinPHX

#208 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Jimmy Chamberlin is apparently back again with Billy in the Pumpkins:

Only 2 more original members to go till people give a shit again.

nausearockpig

#209 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Jimmy Chamberlin is apparently back again with Billy in the Pumpkins:

Only 2 more original members to go till people give a shit again.

Then they'll lose one of those original members again and replace him/her with a session player who is technically proficient, or some would say amazing, but hardcore fans will all cry about it on forums til the end of time...

kv

#210 Post by kv » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:37 am

Much like chaney

Pandemonium

#211 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:59 am

I just find it funny that Chamberlin is back in again right as the Manson/Pumpkins tour is about to start and up to now has been selling *very* poorly.

JOEinPHX

#212 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:22 pm

It may have to do with the fact that 2 washed up acts, neither of which have had a hit record in 15 years, hit the road together and are charging 90-150 bucks a ticket.

I'd pay maybe 50-55 dollars to see those 2 bands.

Artemis

#213 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Nice review from the Irvine Meadows show.

I got tickets for the Toronto show on August 4th, looking forward to it! :rockon:

Personally, I am happy with hearing the hits since I don't know most of the newer material.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/l ... heater-79/
Live Review: Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater (7/9)

For nearly 90 minutes, Billy Corgan brought out the band that fans wanted most

Maybe it’s just where Billy Corgan is as a musician and a person that has manifested as one of the most deeply satisfying, career-spanning tours of Smashing Pumpkins existence. He has gone on record saying he is uncertain if the band will exist beyond 2015 because fans were fixated on the past, and seen some of his most experimental and strange moments both inside and out of the music world used to bolster arguments that the Smashing Pumpkins were losing (or had lost) their luster. Has Corgan been listening all along, and is The End of Times tour a response to critics that Corgan does care about his audience, that he does aim to please?

Or maybe it is touring with old friend (and brief enemy) Marilyn Manson, who got into hot water with Corgan after suggesting in 2013 that the bald singer sell Charlie Brown t-shirts at his merch stand. The tour puts that in the past, with Corgan thanking Manson during the Pumpkins encore, referring to Manson as his “brother.” Manson’s 65-minute set featured more costume switches and set changes than you could count on one hand, glitter cannons, cross-shaped confetti, a burning Bible, a joke about fucking Jesus, and a declaration that rock is not dead. And aside from the entertaining theatrics, Manson mixed his hits, other people’s hits that he has famously covered, and a spattering of newer material from The Pale Emperor to a well-rounded, captivating presentation. Whether fans were there for Manson or Corgan’s bands was irrelevant; every night on this tour will mean the Smashing Pumpkins having to rise to the occasion to show why they should be the headliners over Manson, and this could be feeding in to the inspired, 19-song run from Corgan and co.

Or even still, maybe it is the reunion with original drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. Chamberlin was famously kicked out of the band at the height of their popularity in the ’90s because of drug problems, but has since rejoined multiple times, last playing with the Pumpkins in 2009. But looking at the setlist, the songs obviously lean heavy on albums that Chamberlin played on, namely Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Machina/The Machines of God. Maybe having Chamberlain around has been grounding for Corgan in making the setlists, in returning to many of the songs that made the band well-known in the first place, in learning that you can balance the excitement of playing newer material that you are more passionate about with the tracks that mean deeply personal things to your fans. Maybe Chamberlin has helped Corgan see the value in older music that helped shape their musical tastes of people in their youth, that would become measuring bars for all the music they have heard since the ’90s.

But regardless of the reasoning, for nearly 90 minutes, Smashing Pumpkins were the band that fans wanted them to be. After opening with a run that included some of their most beloved hits — “Cherub Rock”, “Bullet with Butterfly Wings”, “Tonight, Tonight”, and “Ava Adore” — fans could be heard chanting “greatest hits!” back to the band, while Corgan addressed the audience to only say that he was going to keep chatting to a minimum in order to play more music. He wouldn’t really say much more until the beginning of the encore, where he joked about DeAndre Jordan, joked that Manson doesn’t like sports, and made fun of the small contingent that left after “1979”, calling them typical Laker fans. Corgan then showed genuine gratitude for all the fans that didn’t leave, appearing to enjoy entertaining in a way that just hasn’t been displayed by the songwriter in a long time. After the single, fantastic encore closer of “Geek U.S.A.”, Corgan took his time leaving the stage, basking in the applause, waving to all corners of the sold-out Irvine Meadows Amphitheater.

And fans responded to Corgan’s effort to be there for them. During “Mayonnaise”, the soaring deep cut from Siamese Dream that is arguably one of the strongest in the Pumpkins’ canon, Corgan paused at the near-climax, right after singing the line “can anybody hear me?” The audience erupted on cue, allowing the singer to lead the band back into the song’s huge peak, singing “I just want to be me/ When I can, I will/ Try to understand/ That when I can, I will.”

The song could have been speaking to the moment now rather than when it was written some 23 years ago. On this night, Corgan had found a balance in being himself and being generous, allowing long-time fans the pleasure of hearing tracks like “1979” and “Geek U.S.A.” and “Mayonnaise” that hold legitimate significance for a generation. And in doing so, newer tracks like “Run2Me” and the only real trashed-out jam of the night, “United States”, became welcome moments in the set, changing the pace, working towards something more than just the whim of the artist. The result was that Smashing Pumpkins lived up to the esteem their records are held in, making the eccentricities of the frontman felt like moot points, like Corgan suggested early in the set, that this was about shutting up and playing music.

Setlist:
Cherub Rock
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Ava Adore
Drum + Fife
One and All (We Are)
The Everlasting Gaze
Zero
The Crying Tree of Mercury
Mayonaise
Disarm (Acoustic)
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Run2Me
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Stand Inside Your Love
United States
Encore:
Geek U.S.A.

Artemis

#214 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:09 am

This pic makes me giggle every time I see it.

Billy Corgan at Disneyland- the happiest place on earth. :lol:

Squee

#215 Post by Squee » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Artemis wrote:This pic makes me giggle every time I see it.

Billy Corgan at Disneyland- the happiest place on earth. :lol:

:lol: He doesn't look too happy! lmao

How did you like the show on Aug 4th?

I went to the tour opener in July in California and they sounded fantastic. Although the show at the Fillmore in 2007 was soooo much better. The problem with the Concord venue is the city sound ordinance- all shows have to end by 11pm. So Manson had to start his set before sunset and many of the crowd were still hanging out at concession stands when he went on. And Pumpkins could not play longer even if they happened to be in the mood.
Where as at the Fillmore they played an incredible looooooong set the night I was there.
So long that my feet were killing me by the end. It was magical.

I took both my kids to this show in July- my little one adores Marilyn Manson :nod: Her 10 year old review of the show;
"I loved the show! Five stars! I personally like Marilyn Manson because his energy and his voice is strange and cool He rocks. The Smashing Pumpkins performed very well. I like their songs and their loud music. Rock On peoples!!!!!"
:rockon:

Funny thing a friend of my sons ran into Billy in town the same day as the show at a used bookstore.
Billy spoke of it in the VIP Q&A before the show(time 12:06 ... "30 year old"- actually in his late 20's) - who did not know band was in town.
Thought this was an interesting Q&A overall of a glimpse into Billy's head. (not my video)

Artemis

#216 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Squee wrote: How did you like the show on Aug 4th?

I went to the tour opener in July in California and they sounded fantastic. Although the show at the Fillmore in 2007 was soooo much better. The problem with the Concord venue is the city sound ordinance- all shows have to end by 11pm. So Manson had to start his set before sunset and many of the crowd were still hanging out at concession stands when he went on. And Pumpkins could not play longer even if they happened to be in the mood.
Where as at the Fillmore they played an incredible looooooong set the night I was there.
So long that my feet were killing me by the end. It was magical.

I took both my kids to this show in July- my little one adores Marilyn Manson :nod: Her 10 year old review of the show;
"I loved the show! Five stars! I personally like Marilyn Manson because his energy and his voice is strange and cool He rocks. The Smashing Pumpkins performed very well. I like their songs and their loud music. Rock On peoples!!!!!"
:rockon:

Funny thing a friend of my sons ran into Billy in town the same day as the show at a used bookstore.
Billy spoke of it in the VIP Q&A before the show(time 12:06 ... "30 year old"- actually in his late 20's) - who did not know band was in town.
Thought this was an interesting Q&A overall of a glimpse into Billy's head. (not my video)

The August 4th show in "the 6" was good.
A two man group called Cage opened at 7pm, and then Marilyn Manson came on just after 8pm. Still light out then, but the time the set was over it was dark.
I hadn't heard of Cage before. I didn't really care for them, though the singer was cute. The crowd seemed indifferent but polite, and clapped after every song.
MM did a 14 song set, mostly oolder songs, two covers(Sweet Dreams & Personal Jesus). I thought the new song "Third Day of a Seven Day BInge" was super live. I have to say I enjoyed MM more than the Smashing Pumpkins. MM is really funny and has a great rapport with the audience;he really knows how to work the room. I don't know if he did this with your show, but he had this "bras for children" bit where he got women to throw their bras on stage. One woman even came on stage topless and shook her boobies for the crowd for a couple of minutes. There was also a funny part with this guy "Jeffrey" who said he was high on acid and MM got the audience to chant his name "JEFFREY!JEFFEY!JEFFREY". Overall, I would give 4 stars.

Smashing Pumpkins came on around 9:30 and went over the 11pm curfew(I was at an outdoor amphitheatre too).
The last time I saw SP was in 1996, and a couple of times before then at Lolla one year(1994?) and another time too.
I was happy to hear most of the hits because I haven't followed SP since Adore. It was good to see Jimmy Chamberlin on drums, he looked happy in all the close ups on the jumbo trons. His playing was excellent as was the rest of the band. The band sounded incredible, very proficient. Billy's vocals were pretty good for most of the songs, but he sounded quite nasally in a couple. The sound was a little too loud, not distorted just really LOUD! I had to use my earplugs. :oldtimer:
Billy had some banter with the crowd which was cordial and friendly. I find him a little dull compared to MM as far as fan rapport goes.
Setlist
Cherub Rock
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Ava Adore
Drum + Fife
One and All (We Are)
The Everlasting Gaze
Zero
The Crying Tree of Mercury
Mayonaise
Disarm
(Acoustic)
Landslide
(Fleetwood Mac cover) (Acoustic)
Run2Me
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Stand Inside Your Love
United States
Encore:
Today
Geek U.S.A.

Romeo

#217 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:08 am

I saw them with Manson at Jones Beach in the 31st.
They were waaaay too Jam Band. It was like seeing Phish but with depressing lyircs.

Last time I saw the pumpkins was in 1996.

Artemis

#218 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 am

Romeo wrote: It was like seeing Phish but with depressing lyircs.

:lol:

Pandemonium

#219 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:12 am

James Iha joined them at their last show:

Noonesshocking

#220 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 am

Pandemonium wrote:James Iha joined them at their last show:

Surreal. Gave me similar feelings to when EA came back to Jane's.

Matov

#221 Post by Matov » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 am

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

JOEinPHX

#222 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:25 pm

1 more member to go till I go see them.

I'd settle for 3 though.

guysmiley

#223 Post by guysmiley » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:1 more member to go till I go see them.

I'd settle for 3 though.
Isn't D'acry in jail or something?

kv

#224 Post by kv » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm

I think the last time I saw them was their last show together with all four. D'Arcy quit the next day

JOEinPHX

#225 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm

guysmiley wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:1 more member to go till I go see them.

I'd settle for 3 though.
Isn't D'acry in jail or something?
She got busted for crack in like 99/2000.

I think she lives on a horse farm in Minnesota now.