The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
feathers mcgraw

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#41 Post by feathers mcgraw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Having listened through to this (once) I'd say it's easily better than a lot of Teargarden, and an improvement on Zeitgeist. Not quite on a level with gish-machina but at least getting there now.

Matov

#42 Post by Matov » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:51 pm

just for argument´s sake: Oceania>TGEA :banana:

kv

#43 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

it's not even fair to compare the 2 since this is so vastly superior

Pillar Girl

#44 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:59 pm

being a huge SP fan since the gish days, and im not hoping for any miracles anymore from BC,
but this last record just feels very disjointed. ~ the first two tracks could have easily been mixed
into one, i dont see the reason to have those songs sound basically the same, same mix ect...

the title track was very disjointed as well, and overall the entire record has a very 70's feel too it,
alot of PInk Floyd keyboard style infulence. the one singular track i did enjoy was "Inkless" but
the more i listen too it, its "hummer" turned into a pop song.

it breaks my heart, because i want to love the new music, i dont compare anything he does to the past,
i do try and be objective, but sadly this is his worst outing from an album stand point. there's no cohesive
message at all with this record, not that it needs one, but what is this record trying to say?

is it a flash back to the 70's?
is it a techno record with some rock/pop thrown in? i thought he did that on his solo effort

yes its alot better than all the emo/brit pop garbage thats out there currently, but its not up to a
Billy Corgan standard of what his fans have expected of him, i just was hoping for something new,
and not re-hashed sounds/riffs. again, i still love the band, always will, but ya i cringed alot when
hearing this last effort.

kv

#45 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:03 pm

a lot isn't a word ( saving the world one person at a time)

Pillar Girl

#46 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm

i guess you havent had ventures into eastern europe on a visa last 10 years, you'd be surprised
at how trashed the american slang has become, i guess im just a sucker for slacker lingo 101.

kv

#47 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

no i hear ya it's just a pet peeve it seems like half the people on the internet think alot is a word and love to cap it.."i hate her ALOT"

Tyler Durden

#48 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:17 pm

kv wrote:no i hear ya it's just a pet peeve it seems like half the people on the internet think alot is a word and love to cap it.."i hate her ALOT"
But you said "a lot" isn't a word. :lol:

Pillar Girl

#49 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 pm

im the first to admit i would make my english teacher cringe, but its just too much adult swim and pot over the years.

but back to the tunes, still love SP, i guess i'll break out some old live boots and crank those, have one from 89' where
they jam out "venus in furs" ~ good stuff

Tyler Durden

#50 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 pm

I find it sad that in the age of the internet, people form an opinion about an album within a couple of hours and never listen to it again.

Anyone remember when albums actually had to grow on you?

kv

#51 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:no i hear ya it's just a pet peeve it seems like half the people on the internet think alot is a word and love to cap it.."i hate her ALOT"
But you said "a lot" isn't a word. :lol:
fuck lol

kv

#52 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I find it sad that in the age of the internet, people form an opinion about an album within a couple of hours and never listen to it again.

it's so true instant action..instant judge and jury...but it makes sense i guess before we would have bought the cd and if it sucked we'd be like fuck i wasted 15 bucks on that ...maybe i'll give it another listen...now it's free....i listened, it sucks gone forever

Pillar Girl

#53 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I find it sad that in the age of the internet, people form an opinion about an album within a couple of hours and never listen to it again.

being an avid music lover for over 40+ years, and still owning my vinyl collection which i refuse to sell,
i do agree that records deserve more attention than one listen, or even one week ect.. but i know from
the very start of anything that i listen too weather its for me or not, thats just my taste,
ive rarely re-listented too music again after it didnt win me over after a few rounds.

were all wired differently, and each of our senses and ears pick up different things, im sorta tired of
bands trying to re-hash the 70's sound in a new theme, if i want something from that era, i'll throw on
a Steve Miller record, or Alice Cooper, or Floyd for that matter. i do respect Billy Corgan and his talents,
and being a musician myself, i have even a more deeper appreciation of all the hard work that goes into
making records, its a very draining task, and it does deserve multiple listens.

first time i heard artists like JA, Portishead, Dead Can Dance, Bauhaus, the Cult, The Cure, Primus, No Means No,
Ravi Shankar.... i didnt need any second or third go arounds to know it was good music.

i'll throw the record on again in about a month or so, but i highly doubt i'll listen to it again after that.

kv

#54 Post by kv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:02 pm

whether...( i am totally fucking with you)

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I am currently giving every chance I can to "like" the new album by The Cult but it just doesn't grab me at all. I've liked at least 1/3rd of the songs on every album they've done up 'til this one and I know they've done some dodgy albums in the past.

Pillar Girl

#56 Post by Pillar Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 am

Pandemonium wrote:

I am currently giving every chance I can to "like" the new album by The Cult but it just doesn't grab me at all. I've liked at least 1/3rd of the songs on every album they've done up 'til this one and I know they've done some dodgy albums in the past.
im with you on the latest Cult record, doesnt do it for me either, i swear one of the tracks sounded aka spiritwalker
rehashed into a new song, another band i love so much since SDC/DC, too bad its all downhill these days.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#57 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm not going to listen. The older I get the more I realize bands 20+ years in don't make amazing albums. They make albums you inevitably compare to the past and get disappointed and then try to listen to it on it's own merits and it still isn't very good and then you make excuses blah blah. I don't need the hassle. :lol: :cona:

I'll just keep blasting Siamese Dream and pretending I'm 14 when I need my Pumpkins fix.

Essence_Smith

#58 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 pm

hokahey wrote:I'm not going to listen. The older I get the more I realize bands 20+ years in don't make amazing albums. They make albums you inevitably compare to the past and get disappointed and then try to listen to it on it's own merits and it still isn't very good and then you make excuses blah blah. I don't need the hassle. :lol: :cona:

I'll just keep blasting Siamese Dream and pretending I'm 14 when I need my Pumpkins fix.
:nod:
Our ears and minds are not as open as we were at that age as well...I look at Corgan now with no hair and sometimes forget its the same guy... :lol:

kv

#59 Post by kv » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
hokahey wrote:I'm not going to listen. The older I get the more I realize bands 20+ years in don't make amazing albums. They make albums you inevitably compare to the past and get disappointed and then try to listen to it on it's own merits and it still isn't very good and then you make excuses blah blah. I don't need the hassle. :lol: :cona:

Our ears and minds are not as open as we were at that age as well...I look at Corgan now with no hair and sometimes forget its the same guy... :lol:
that's old people all right..."i'm gonna stop.."

Pandemonium

#60 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I know this is beating a dead horse as far as my predictable opinion goes, but I was really surprised and really dig the new Van Halen album. Killing Joke is another band that at least as far as studio albums go, has not let me down yet. A lot of my long time favorite bands have just lost it one way or another though even though they still plop out a new album once in a while. Some (like Ministry, The Rolling Stones, etc) have been putting out shit for literally decades now.

Essence_Smith

#61 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:08 pm

I am convinced Pandemonium does PR for VH... :lol:
kv wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:

that's old people all right..."i'm gonna stop.."
I'm just saying...the Doors don't even sound as good to me as they did when I was a teenager...I can't front, a few weeks ago I was pumping Siamese Dream hard and even found acoustic versions of Cherub Rock I'd never heard that I got into quite a bit, but generally I see what the old greats put out now and just can't get as excited...it can't be them all the time...

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:I am convinced Pandemonium does PR for VH... :lol:
Well, U2 isn't active right now so I gotta plug some decade's old mainstream band, right?
Essence_Smith wrote:I'm just saying...the Doors don't even sound as good to me as they did when I was a teenager...I can't front, a few weeks ago I was pumping Siamese Dream hard and even found acoustic versions of Cherub Rock I'd never heard that I got into quite a bit, but generally I see what the old greats put out now and just can't get as excited...it can't be them all the time...
I'll say up until the early 90's it was a lot easier by sheer volume of up and coming quality acts out there to drift into new, truly great bands once the older favs started churning out dreck. And I like to think of myself as somewhat still musically adventurous so it's not like I'm focusing on sound-alike bands that remind me of favorite oldies. I know there's plenty of good new bands out there but there's no way anyone can honestly argue that there's any level of sheer inventiveness and quality coming from as many newer artists as their used to be. That's a big reason why you still have burnout bands like Van Halen, U2, Springsteen, etc still filling arenas and stadiums while there's been very few newer bands that have been able to come in and take their place (and business). Even the work ethic of most newer bands isn't anything like what it used to be. For example, Arcade Fire has put out a whopping 3 studio albums in the last decade - I think guys like The Stones, Elton John and AD/DC put out about a dozen records in that timeframe.

20+ years from now, we'll be looking at reunion tours from Arcade Fire, Green Day and Muse. Big whoop.

guysmiley

#63 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm actually digging the new album. Lots of good stuff in there. It's growing on my the last few days. I try not to compare stuff when I listen to new things. Better than Zeitgeist and the last thing Corgan did, but not as good as Adore. But, he went in a more electronic direction than I was expecting. People bash this band over being washed up ( over a lot of the same things Jane's get bashed over) but, I think Corgan can still write a great song, and he can still play some great guitar riffs and solos.

Essence_Smith

#64 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:I am convinced Pandemonium does PR for VH... :lol:
Well, U2 isn't active right now so I gotta plug some decade's old mainstream band, right?
Essence_Smith wrote:I'm just saying...the Doors don't even sound as good to me as they did when I was a teenager...I can't front, a few weeks ago I was pumping Siamese Dream hard and even found acoustic versions of Cherub Rock I'd never heard that I got into quite a bit, but generally I see what the old greats put out now and just can't get as excited...it can't be them all the time...
I'll say up until the early 90's it was a lot easier by sheer volume of up and coming quality acts out there to drift into new, truly great bands once the older favs started churning out dreck. And I like to think of myself as somewhat still musically adventurous so it's not like I'm focusing on sound-alike bands that remind me of favorite oldies. I know there's plenty of good new bands out there but there's no way anyone can honestly argue that there's any level of sheer inventiveness and quality coming from as many newer artists as their used to be. That's a big reason why you still have burnout bands like Van Halen, U2, Springsteen, etc still filling arenas and stadiums while there's been very few newer bands that have been able to come in and take their place (and business). Even the work ethic of most newer bands isn't anything like what it used to be. For example, Arcade Fire has put out a whopping 3 studio albums in the last decade - I think guys like The Stones, Elton John and AD/DC put out about a dozen records in that timeframe.

20+ years from now, we'll be looking at reunion tours from Arcade Fire, Green Day and Muse. Big whoop.
Gotta concur with most of what you've said here...I don't think bands have to work as hard these days in a lot of ways and I don't think the younger audience is looking for as much substance in their music as we did so it yields a different work ethic I think...as far as new bands I thought the Black Keys were decent for about a week, though I dislike that a few bands have basically taken that White Stripes formula and haven't pulled it off half as well...I was actually glad a LOT of people I knew went to see em at the Garden when they were in NY a few months ago...I don't mind the older bands still being active but imo ya just gotta keep the expectations under control so it doesn't kill it for you...I didn't expect anything from the Peppers and they actually came up with a few songs on their last one that I love...wish I could say that for JA, but TGEA was ok imo cause though I can't say I love any of those songs the worst on that was better than the worst of Strays...I still can't believe Superhero is TV theme song... :crazy:

Hype

#65 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I don't think the younger audience is looking for as much substance in their music as we did
What. The. Fuck?!

... "the younger audience" in the 80s listened to Madonna and Cyndi Lauper, not Joy Division and Jane's Addiction... you guys were music nerds. Music nerds today are exactly the same as you were. The general public is exactly as vapid as it's always been. :confused: