The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#161 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 am

Artemis wrote:Billy Corgan interview by Jian Ghomeshi on Q.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/uncut/

http://blip.tv/q-tv/billy-corgan-on-the ... -q-6420259
I hope people will actually listen to the 45 minute interview. It's really pretty good, imo. Jian and Billy are rapping about stuff other than the new album. Some things Billy says are annoying, but overall, very enjoyable.

Matz

#162 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I listened to it and also thought it was cool. One fucked up thing was that he dissed Nine Inch Nails though, pretty surprising.

Tyler Durden

#163 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Matz wrote:I listened to it and also thought it was cool. One fucked up thing was that he dissed Nine Inch Nails though, pretty surprising.
I didn't hear it as a diss...he was just stating that he is taking a different road than NIN.

Thanks for posting this, Artemis. Billy Corgan is always a fascinating guy to hear pontificate on any number of things. While there is a lot I don't agree with him on, there is also a lot I do. I'm just glad he always has the balls to stick his neck out.

Matz

#164 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

I heard as a diss because the interviewer said something like 'what he did with Bowie was cool though' and Billy said 'yeah'. So to me it sounded like they were saying that everything else Trent has ever done sucks. I hope I'm wrong

Tyler Durden

#165 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 am

Another great song from Oceania. How can anyone not like this?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#166 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:43 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Another great song from Oceania. How can anyone not like this?

Yeah, it's not bad, but it's nothing great. I don't like the way he sings now. Like Perry, Trent, Maynard etc., it seems that Billy seems interested in really SINGING these days. I don't like what any of them are doing vocally now.

Tyler Durden

#167 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Another great song from Oceania. How can anyone not like this?

Yeah, it's not bad, but it's nothing great. I don't like the way he sings now. Like Perry, Trent, Maynard etc., it seems that Billy seems interested in really SINGING these days. I don't like what any of them are doing vocally now.
That's a fair criticism. I've heard other people mention that as well. Billy's vocals seem higher in the mix these days. I'm fine with it but I can see why others are not.

Pandemonium

#168 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:50 am

Live 2 disc CD/DVD and 1 disc Blu-ray release coming on 9/3/13 of "Live in NYC" show:

The Blu-ray will have the show in both 2d and 3d on the same disc. Setlist included an entire performance of Oceania:

DISC 1:
1. Quasar (5:05)
2. Panopticon (4:09)
3. The Celestials (3:50)
4. Violet Rays (4:34)
5. My Love Is Winter (3:37)
6. One Diamond, One Heart (3:54)
7. Pinwheels (5:52)
8. Oceania (10:09)
9. Pale Horse (4:35)
10. The Chimera (4:39)
11. Glissandra (4:31)
12. Inkless (3:03)
DISC 2:
1. Wildflower (5:06)
2. Space Oddity (7:38)
3. X.Y.U (10:23)
4. Disarm (3:31)
5. Tonite Reprise (1:27)
6. Tonight, Tonight (4:21)
7. Bullet with Butterfly Wings (5:02)
8. The Dream Machine (7:01)
9. Hummer (7:13)
Encore
1. Ava Adore (5:11)
2. Cherub Rock (4:43)
3. Zero (6:01)

Pandemonium

#169 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:39 am

(taken in part from Blabbermouth.com)

Two new SMASHING PUMPKINS albums will be released in 2015: "Monuments To An Elegy" and "Day For Night". The first single is expected to be released by year's end in 2014.

The PUMPKINS' Billy Corgan says: "Thrilled to report that we now have our album in total, as top songs are arranged and set for drum tracking. So over the next three days, I'll be focusing on vocal arrangements, lyrics, and tweaking the overall aesthetics of the record as I hope it shall be. At least then I'll be able to share a different narrative for a spell, and get off this merry-go-round we've all been on."

Corgan also revealed the tentative track listing for "Monuments To An Elegy". It is as follows (all titles subject to change):

* Being Beige (World's On Fire)
* Anti-Hero
* Tiberius
* Run To Me
* One And All
* Drum And Fife
* Dorian
* Monuments
* Anaise
* W.P.C.

"Monuments To An Elegy" is being produced by Howard Willing, who first worked with SMASHING PUMPKINS during the "Adore" sessions

Pandemonium

#170 Post by Pandemonium » Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Great news about the upcoming box set for "Adore;"

"News out of the SP camp is that tracklisting for the upcoming ‘ADORE’ box set is now complete. The 6-disc set will feature the original album in stereo (as remastered by Bob Ludwig), the album as it was released in mono (here for the first time on CD), plus an additional 3 discs of unreleased material and a live DVD, taken from the band’s charity tour of 1998.

A summer release is expected.

From Billy:

“One thing that might excite fans of the album is that we were able to go back and locate elements from the original sessions that were stored digitally, but never used; such as some of the brilliant work done by Bon Harris. In that fresh mixes have been commissioned, shedding new light on not only the songs hidden foundations, but their futuristic nature as well. “

(Look carefully at the top of this list of songs, it appears you can see Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me" on the other side/underneath.)

JOEinPHX

#171 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 pm

hokahey wrote:

Maynard still runs the full gamut of his vocal abilities. Listen to Puscifer's Conditions of My Parole (the album, not the song)

Trent and Perry are both totally hoarse now though. I'll give you that.

And Corgan just can't get that obnoxious whine like he used to have, probably due to his voice deepening with age.

Pandemonium

#172 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Corgan pissed that Amazon.com leaked the "Adore" box set (due 9/23/14) track list today before he could reveal it:

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#! ... BCB6F962C8

Looks pretty impressive although I think a disc devoted to a mono mix of the album is taking it a bit too far.

Pandemonium

#173 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 pm

For a few days, the entire '98 show included on the Adore box set is on YouTube:

JOEinPHX

#174 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Watched it last night.

I enjoyed it, but I imagine the crowd was probably annoyed that they didn't break out all the hits, and that they were playing other songs totally different than the albums versions (like Bullet with Butterfly Wings, which was sung over a totally different riff after they came out of a jam)

Also, too much piano. That guy was totally unnecessary and it didn't fit in with the rest of what was going on.

Pandemonium

#175 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Watched it last night.

I enjoyed it, but I imagine the crowd was probably annoyed that they didn't break out all the hits, and that they were playing other songs totally different than the albums versions (like Bullet with Butterfly Wings, which was sung over a totally different riff after they came out of a jam)

Also, too much piano. That guy was totally unnecessary and it didn't fit in with the rest of what was going on.
I think this tour ('98) was the turning point where Billy really started fucking with audience expectations, playing wildly different (and not always successful) arrangements of well known songs and often stupefying pacing and song selections in the setlists. I don't know if he thinks he's Springsteen who can actually pull off this sort of thing or just has a level of contempt for his audience. Judging by many of the shows since '07, it seems it's more a case of ego and contempt.

Essence_Smith

#176 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:10 am

Pandemonium wrote:I think this tour ('98) was the turning point where Billy really started fucking with audience expectations, playing wildly different (and not always successful) arrangements of well known songs and often stupefying pacing and song selections in the setlists. I don't know if he thinks he's Springsteen who can actually pull off this sort of thing or just has a level of contempt for his audience. Judging by many of the shows since '07, it seems it's more a case of ego and contempt.
As much as I am NOT a fan of Billy, I remember seeing him in a recent interview where he talks about his peers from the 90's basically doing nostalgia shows and conforming to expectations by basically trotting out the hits night after night...and I have to say I'm glad he's at least trying to do something different. At the end of the day after you've given people years of the same thing I see nothing wrong with at least making an attempt at playing around with arrangements, etc...maybe it is about ego, but if they were to do what Jane's does, people would complain about that too...that being said I have heard that Billy can be a total ass with the crowd at shows...so who the hell knows?

Pandemonium

#177 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 am

Essence_Smith wrote:As much as I am NOT a fan of Billy, I remember seeing him in a recent interview where he talks about his peers from the 90's basically doing nostalgia shows and conforming to expectations by basically trotting out the hits night after night...and I have to say I'm glad he's at least trying to do something different. At the end of the day after you've given people years of the same thing I see nothing wrong with at least making an attempt at playing around with arrangements, etc...maybe it is about ego, but if they were to do what Jane's does, people would complain about that too...that being said I have heard that Billy can be a total ass with the crowd at shows...so who the hell knows?
The tour with the meandering, 1/2 hour long Pink Floyd covers during the encore and virtually no hits and the following tour with the onstage wrestling gimmick seem to push the Billy Meter pegged towards "Ass."

Essence_Smith

#178 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:23 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:As much as I am NOT a fan of Billy, I remember seeing him in a recent interview where he talks about his peers from the 90's basically doing nostalgia shows and conforming to expectations by basically trotting out the hits night after night...and I have to say I'm glad he's at least trying to do something different. At the end of the day after you've given people years of the same thing I see nothing wrong with at least making an attempt at playing around with arrangements, etc...maybe it is about ego, but if they were to do what Jane's does, people would complain about that too...that being said I have heard that Billy can be a total ass with the crowd at shows...so who the hell knows?
The tour with the meandering, 1/2 hour long Pink Floyd covers during the encore and virtually no hits and the following tour with the onstage wrestling gimmick seem to push the Billy Meter pegged towards "Ass."
OMG...I gotta see the wrestling stuff...I think that's the only thing I liked about him...dude is an unashamed wrestling mark just like me... :lol:

Tyler Durden

#179 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 am

The new single "Being Beige" from the album Monuments To An Elegy, due out December 9th:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premi ... e-20141020

If you like latter era Pumpkins, you'll probably like this. And if you wish it was still 1993, you'll probably hate this. :lol:

Pandemonium

#180 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:The new single "Being Beige" from the album Monuments To An Elegy, due out December 9th:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premi ... e-20141020

If you like latter era Pumpkins, you'll probably like this. And if you wish it was still 1993, you'll probably hate this. :lol:
It's cookie-cutter Pumpkins. I don't hate the tune but it fades from memory as soon as I'm done hearing it.

Artemis

#181 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:21 pm

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/11/r ... -for-tour/

Rage Against the Machine and The Killers members to join Smashing Pumpkins for tour

Billy Corgan will stage a series of record release shows in support of Smashing Pumpkins‘ new album, Monuments to an Elegy, and he’s enlisted a pair of big-name musicians to round out the touring lineup. Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk and The Killers bassist Mark Stoermer will join Corgan and Jeff Schroeder for intimate engagements in Berlin, London, Paris, and New York City.

Additionally, the Pumpkins have confirmed a December 10th appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live and a December 14th slot at KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Christmas concert.

Monuments to an Elegy is due out December 9th via Martha’s Music / Song BMG. Check out the album’s latest track, “Tiberius”, followed by the band’s full tour docket.

Smashing Pumpkins 2014 Tour Dates:
11/30 – Berlin, DE @ Kesselhaus
12/05 – London, UK @ Koko’s
12/06 – Paris, FR @ Le Trabendo
12/08 – New York, NY @ Webster Hall
12/14 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum (Almost Acoustic Christmas)

kv

#182 Post by kv » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:55 pm

wow wilk with billy...interesting

Pandemonium

#183 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 am

Is this the first time Billy's had a male bass player in SP?

Tyler Durden

#184 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Is this the first time Billy's had a male bass player in SP?
Yup...one site's headline was like "Hell Freezes Over: Billy Corgan recruits male bass player". :lol:

Seriously though, I don't see why it matters either way.

Matov

#185 Post by Matov » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:49 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Is this the first time Billy's had a male bass player in SP?
Yup...one site's headline was like "Hell Freezes Over: Billy Corgan recruits male bass player". :lol:

Seriously though, I don't see why it matters either way.

:essence:
He played at least one show (under the SP name) with Mark Tulin of the Electric Prunes on bass, as you can see below :wave: