The guitar player thread

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Juana

The guitar player thread

#1 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 am

So we had one of these on the board that burned down once basically if you play what do you play on and what type of stuff? Things you're working on, technique, soul, feeling whatever:

Acoustic/Electric Martin
PRS Brazilian Santana with custom rewired pups
1960's Les Paul with P-90s
PRS SE Custom 24 with EMG 81/85s in it, basically my metal guitar
74 Telecaster
96 Strat

I play a lot of reggae and alt country when I play at the bar and I also have been working on my flamenco playing as well. Listening to and trying to play Del Castillo albums. Also have been listening to older Marley live bootlegs to try to capture Junior Marvin's tone

Turncoat

Re: The guitar player thread

#2 Post by Turncoat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 pm

I'll throw in...
Guitars:
Les Paul
McCarty
SG x2
Epi 335
Yamaha hollowbody
Fender A/E

Amps:
66' Bandmaster
Bogen Bandmaster clone
VOX AC4TV
1x12, 2x12, and 2 4x12's

Effects:
lots

stuff I've sold...
lots...

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:11 pm

What type of stuff do you play? How do you like the McCarty?

kv

#4 Post by kv » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:21 pm

95 fender jag-stang korean(which i hated at the time but the koreans were pretty well made) wanna play surf punk this is the stickImage
85 rickenbacker hamburg american( solid body tiny rick, it's everything a rick shouldn't be but my fav of the bunch..really tiny SUPER heavy)Image
66 silvertone hollow body with bigsby and flat wound strings(widely regarded as the best silvertone ever made and for sounding like gretsches...was my old mans)Image
88-91?peavey falcon american made pos i bought off a friend i used to play with for 40 bucks lol (he wants it back) Image
96ish? ovation my least favorite but what i write on 95% of the time lol Image

then i have a couple more in cases that i forget what they are i know one was my first guitar covered in stickers like any kid would have it's like a time capsule...also a giant piece of shit that i will never play again in my life (some fender knock off)

ps i'm a drummer lol :crazy: i play like shit barre chords and simple song structure my style? sloppy!

being a drummer 9 times outa ten i am on rolands v drums in someones home studio

when at home i am rocking the house (literally) with my babies DW maples 3 piece with 24 kick + maple pearl snare and zildjian A class cymbals +10 inch reg zild splash

none of these pic's are mine but the colors and styles are all right except the drums ...impossible to find picks of black oyster glass with a 24 kick

have amps, effects, a billion percusion toys, other instruments, ect

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm

I have a couple Vox Amps and a Marshall half stack with a AVT50 head. Want to get a Laney head.

Nice drums up there and yeah I have days where I just play barre chords as well. Also have a Piano in the house as well but it only gets played on nights when I have a drink or 26.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Um Juana, are those flip flops I see in one of the photos there? :essence:

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:32 pm

:love: Very nice, kv. :tiphat:

ant

#8 Post by ant » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I play mostly rock/funk and rock/soul originals when I'm writing with others and just whatever comes out when I'm recording on my own.

My gear:
1990 Les Paul Standard
2005 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (sold my '88 American Standard years ago and love the HW1 more)
Ovation Acoustic
Epiphone SG style bass for home recording
lots of hand percussion
Set of Bamboo saxophones I bought in Shanghai that sound like a real sax
lots of pedals and effects
VOX ACTV4 practice amp
Early 90s Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - this amp is a workhorse. Used all the years I was playing in bands and whenever I jam with anyone
Wurlitzer Upright Piano - my wife's but she doesn't play anymore, need a serious tuning coming after the hew year

guysmiley

#9 Post by guysmiley » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 am

I play everything. I was in a stoner rock/metal band.

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:44 pm

So I have been listening to a lot of Rory Buchanan and Chuck Berry lately basically just listening to it in one ear and watching sports center while I try to play their licks, also have learned Megadeth's "Tornado Of Souls" and "Holy Wars" doing the same though I tune to Eb but a little bit sharper, not sure why but I like the sound, playing thru my valvetronix 40 watt combo...

Juana

#11 Post by Juana » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Early Xmas present!!

Stoked and getting a new WAH WAH

ant

#12 Post by ant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Juana wrote:Image

Early Xmas present!!

Stoked and getting a new WAH WAH
Congrats! That a beautiful guitar. Which Wah are you getting?

Juana

#13 Post by Juana » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:17 pm

I was thinking a Morley wah / volume pedal... you have any recommendations? I had a Cry Baby but I didn't really like it and the Morley does both things for me and I can concentrate on playing and not having to turn the dials

kv

#14 Post by kv » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:23 pm

soapy enough? grats

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Yeah I love it but actually going to put a bridge Dream 180 in the neck position to give it even more bite, but its Rosewood and it sounds AMAZING as it is but I wanted one of the pick ups with enough bite to sound like razor blades dragging down a chalk board.

ant

#16 Post by ant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 pm

I've got the Dunlop Hendrix Wah and it's pretty good. Not too tinny or too bassy. Nice and throaty. That being said I'd go for a VOX. Used to have one and I've played a bunch of them and they always sound good to me. If ever I'm in the market for a new Wah I'd get a VOX again.

Juana

#17 Post by Juana » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Nice because aside from my Marshall head I play pretty much Vox cobmos and I love the tone

Juana

#18 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm

So I just put some EMGs into one of my guitars, loving how there is no soldering these days basically just plug and play with them after you put the EMG volume knobs and crimp the selector jack cables in.

Loving the sound so far as I have always wanted some actives (have some passive EMGs in one of my guitars) can definitely tell how Zakk and Dimebag were getting such insane pick harmonics now.

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:20 pm

I have a question:

I kind of want a cheap solid-body electric to play at night so I don't wake up anyone in this building.

For under $400, is this one good?
Year: 200x
Make: Samick
Model: RockerTele
Serial #:
Description: nice 24 Fret Rocker, w Locking Trem
New/Used/Consign: Used
Neck: rosewood/maple
Body: Alder
Finish: cherry burst
Frets: exc
Originality: all orig
Playability: exc
Case/Cover: gigbag
Circuit: H/S/S
Price ($Ca): 350
I'd rather have something else, but maybe is worth it?

Matz

#20 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:03 pm

this guitar is 95 dollars above your budget, but if you can live with that you get a really, really great guitar in this one and good lookin!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-Hellra ... 713wt_1037

Hype

#21 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Matz wrote:this guitar is 95 dollars above your budget, but if you can live with that you get a really, really great guitar in this one and good lookin!

The guitar shop in my town has this one, used, for $130 more than that, but it's in $CDN, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping (and could also play it first and not have to trust eBay):
(Second look... that ebay guitar doesn't ship to Canada, so I'm SOL there...)
Make: Schecter
Model: PT Custom
Serial #:
Description: nice set neck Power Tele
Neck: mahogany/rosewood
Body: carved top maple on mahogany
Finish: glossy sunburst
Case/Cover: hsc
Circuit: HB with coil tap
Price ($Ca): 625

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I could also maybe get this one: http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3454
Make: Ibanez
Model: S520EX
Serial #:
Description: Sleek and Fast Ibanez solidbody
Neck: maple/rosewood
Finish: gloss black in vg cond
Price ($Ca): 550

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Matz wrote:this guitar is 95 dollars above your budget, but if you can live with that you get a really, really great guitar in this one and good lookin!

The guitar shop in my town has this one, used, for $130 more than that, but it's in $CDN, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping (and could also play it first and not have to trust eBay):
Serial #:
Not sure about how the budget goes with you on the $$$ since I don't know the exchange rate. That being said you can never go wrong with Mahogany and rosewood. Then the coil taps are also a nice feature as well. Depending on what you want to play.

The Ibanez one is a nice one as well but with that locking tremelo if you play a lot of metal that could be useful. I would recommend playing them if they're in the local area first and seeing which one speaks to you.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Juana wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Serial #:
Not sure about how the budget goes with you on the $$$ since I don't know the exchange rate. That being said you can never go wrong with Mahogany and rosewood. Then the coil taps are also a nice feature as well. Depending on what you want to play.

The Ibanez one is a nice one as well but with that locking tremelo if you play a lot of metal that could be useful. I would recommend playing them if they're in the local area first and seeing which one speaks to you.
Thanks a lot for this, Juana. The shop is down the road from my house, so I can go in and play them tomorrow if I feel like it.

I don't think I'll be buying another guitar until the summer (it'll be a good end of semester present that I can use to keep busy while procrastinating), and honestly, if I go over $375, it'd be a better guitar than the Yamaha jazz-box I'm playing right now (which I love, btw... it's just loud at 2AM, unplugged). With a solid-body, I can just get a nice pair of headphones and plug in. :rockon:

guysmiley

#25 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am

Are you looking for all those features? Trem bridge, locking trem, wood type, shape? Or are you just looking for a reasonable solid body? I would really go play as many as possible and see which one feels right, sounds right, and speaks to you. You can even go to a guitar store or a corp place like guitar center just to try out a few models and leave. :noclue: