The new addtitions to the RnR Hall of Sham is...

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
thoreau

Re: The new addtitions to the RnR Hall of Sham is...

#51 Post by thoreau » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 am

Larry B. wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: (...) you should ignore the Irons/Slovak years since it didn't produce anything.
:essence:

I fully expect the RHCP to invite their most relevant ex-member to date:

(also the one with the coolest name)
Haha, I seriously doubt they'd invite DH.
:lol: me too. I would be ashamed to have had a band member whose last name was PELIGRO.
Haha, well I wonder if he would even come. DH Peligro, from what I've heard, is a man who is still battling many personal demons.

Romeo

#52 Post by Romeo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Here's how i look at it:

If they choose to ignore Dave's contribution to the band, then they have to ignore what came after him.
I know I shouldn't, but :hs:
It's about picking and choosing. Dave was in that band for 20% of their career. How can you cut out a giant piece of the pie and say "ok, just judge us on what these six member did"?

If the records only played by the "classic" members were included (Irons, Slovak, Kiedis, Flea, Frusciante, and Smith) then they wouldn't be eligible for the hall of fame right now based on who recorded on the early albums.

So picking and choosing the membership is ridiculous.
If I remember correctly the only members of the Ramones up on stage accepting was Dee Dee, Johnny & Marky. Not even Tommy and certainly not CJ. Joey already passed away.
If anyone should have been up there too it should of been Tommy since he was an orginal & for all the rest of the years was either producing or engineering them

thoreau

#53 Post by thoreau » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Romeo wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Here's how i look at it:

If they choose to ignore Dave's contribution to the band, then they have to ignore what came after him.
I know I shouldn't, but :hs:
It's about picking and choosing. Dave was in that band for 20% of their career. How can you cut out a giant piece of the pie and say "ok, just judge us on what these six member did"?

If the records only played by the "classic" members were included (Irons, Slovak, Kiedis, Flea, Frusciante, and Smith) then they wouldn't be eligible for the hall of fame right now based on who recorded on the early albums.

So picking and choosing the membership is ridiculous.
If I remember correctly the only members of the Ramones up on stage accepting was Dee Dee, Johnny & Marky. Not even Tommy and certainly not CJ. Joey already passed away.
If anyone should have been up there too it should of been Tommy since he was an orginal & for all the rest of the years was either producing or engineering them
I don't remember if Tommy was on stage, but he was there (see photo below).

Mescal

#54 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:48 pm

thoreau wrote:[
Who's the bitch on the left?

guysmiley

#55 Post by guysmiley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 am

Mescal wrote:
thoreau wrote:[
Who's the bitch on the left?
you're joking right?....... :confused:

kv

#56 Post by kv » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:31 am

has to be, why i ignored it

Mescal

#57 Post by Mescal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:02 am

I thought it was a funny comment :noclue:

Nevermind

Romeo

#58 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:05 am

I'm trying to remember...the induction was also part of the Ramone's doc "end of the century" and I THINK Dee Dee, Johnny & Marky was the only ones on the podium. I do remember Johnny (who was a staunch conservative, complete polar opposite to joey's liberalism) said something stupid like "god bless George Bush" or something like that.

What's sad is Dee Dee died a few months after the induction :cona:

Juana

#59 Post by Juana » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
crater wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: Last i checked, there is nothing rock n roll about rap music.
Your comment is just retarded

Sampling rock music doesn't make you rock music any more than P. Diddy using 80s lyrics makes him a great lyricist.
Neither does relying on synths and computer programs to make your sounds instead of using live instruments which you said about disco and R&B having live instruments would be more rock n roll than rap where as you have shared your opinions about a lot of bands that are very synth heavy and in the end they're doing the same thing using a computer to make their music... how do you feel about the Roots they use live instruments are are hip hop/rap.

JOEinPHX

#60 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:51 am

The Roots are rap. You just said so yourself.

is it really that hard to tell what is rock and what is rap?

Beastie Boys - Rap

Limp Bizkit - Rock

The Roots - Rap

Rage Against the Machine - Rock

As far as synth-heavy bands... i wouldn't necessary classify someone like The Naked and Famous or M83 as rock bands. The same as i wouldn't ever call Radiohead's Kid A a rock record.

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 am

RATM and The Roots are pretty much the same except one band uses a digitech pedal and the other one doesn't. Both vocalists do nothing but rap and use the band as their beat. I know what you're saying but at the same time calling one band that predominately raps "rap" and the other one "rock" when the only difference are the effects used on the guitar, since they both tend to rap about the same socio-injustices is silly by the music world.

As for the synths I know a lot of rock bands use them some tastefully and other's not so much, my question was based basically in the fact that you and I both like NIN and Reznor and he will undoubtedly get in when his time comes to be on the ballot, I consider much of what he was doing as rock as the concepts of the albums and the structure of them were alot like 70's concept albums but done in a whole new light but when he comes up there will be back lash because of the use of non organic sounds.

They should just rebrand the RnR HOF to the Music HOF since we all can think of things that are not Rock that make it in there every year.

JOEinPHX

#62 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 am

Juana wrote:RATM and The Roots are pretty much the same except one band uses a digitech pedal and the other one doesn't. Both vocalists do nothing but rap and use the band as their beat. I know what you're saying but at the same time calling one band that predominately raps "rap" and the other one "rock" when the only difference are the effects used on the guitar, since they both tend to rap about the same socio-injustices is silly by the music world.
Yeah but the difference between blues and rock n roll is pretty much just in the tone/effects too.

How you play your instrument and the sound you go for pretty much determines your genre. It's all in the delivery.

What's the difference between Dave Grohl playing an acoustic guitar and Taylor Swift playing an acoustic guitar? NOTHING.

But if Dave Grohl uses the raspy "rock" voice, and Taylor since with a twang... she's all of a sudden singing a country song.

Sound and delivery are both important.
As for the synths I know a lot of rock bands use them some tastefully and other's not so much, my question was based basically in the fact that you and I both like NIN and Reznor and he will undoubtedly get in when his time comes to be on the ballot, I consider much of what he was doing as rock as the concepts of the albums and the structure of them were alot like 70's concept albums but done in a whole new light but when he comes up there will be back lash because of the use of non organic sounds.
Reznor/NIN will recieve no backlash. He has always dabbled in synths and electronics just because he started off as one dude with a keyboard, but Nine Inch Nails has always been a rock band.

Regardless of the noisey "industrial" sounds, the synths, the drum machine, or the piano, 90% of it is still distorted guitar, bass, drums, and voice. It's the classic formula tweaked with whatever modern sounds are happening at the time. Billy Joel rocked a piano. Elton John rocked a piano. Trent Reznor rocked a keyboard, and then after the first album evolved it into something much bigger.
They should just rebrand the RnR HOF to the Music HOF since we all can think of things that are not Rock that make it in there every year.
i agree. Then they could also move it out of Cleveland. Or have many branches.