This is about Nirvana a debate if you will

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Juana

This is about Nirvana a debate if you will

#1 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:09 am

This is a cover of a cover of a cover of a.... you get the idea it's an old traditional song...

When I watch this video I see the power and intensity Kurt aimed for with his own music.

Here is what I was wondering, they hadn't made Nevermind do you think they would have eventually done an "unplugged" type album?

Do you think if Nevermind was their 4th album that Kurt would still be alive today?

JOEinPHX

Re: This is about Nirvana a debate if you will

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 am

are you drunk?

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:02 am

No actually I'm not BUT a lot of anti biotics on top of my pain meds so I might be quite close to past the point of being able to play on the innerwebs

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 am

I honestly don't understand the question. :hs:

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 am

Jasper wrote:I honestly don't understand the question. :hs:
Basically

Did Nevermind's success kill him?

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 am

I have no idea. The guy seemed to be pretty miserable no matter what. Maybe the stress of fame made it harder on him, or maybe he was just going down that road already, even before Nevermind.

kv

#7 Post by kv » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 am

simple side of it was he had ailments brought on by fame that lead to him self medicating which made him an addict which he didn't want his kid to know...i think yes...if they weren't so big he may well have lived longer

popeye

#8 Post by popeye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 pm

About the whole unplugged aspect...wasn't he in contact with Michael Stipe towards the end to do more artistic mellow acoustic stuff? So maybe that's really where he wanted to head, regardless of status they achieved at that point. It was more of a pressure on the band to do the Unplugged show in the first place just because of the stigma but I don't think they were completely against it.
This is one of the last things he worked on I believe

That what you meant?

Juana

#9 Post by Juana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah basically I think he would have headed more towards that stuff had they not gotten so huge with Nevermind basically

popeye

#10 Post by popeye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:06 pm

:lol: Well it's tough to speculate that they only did an unplugged show because of their success, but it was good regardless. Nevermind was intended to be a catchy pop album and it worked, beyond what anyone thought would be such a phenomenon. Kurt said he wanted to move on from 3 chord rock because it's too easy. Arrogance? Easy to say when you're on top? maybe..........but I like the direction they took

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I have some very specific memories of things Kurt said in that RS article shortly before his demise.

He said that he was tired of the soft-loud-soft formula of Nirvana, and wanted to write songs that didn't use that template. He was longing to do other things, musically, and wanted to make stuff more along the lines of R.E.M. - but he didn't know if his current band was capable of it.

He also said some stuff about the guns he was keeping in his house, and how he was ready if anybody came to get him or his family.

popeye

#12 Post by popeye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Jasper wrote:but he didn't know if his current band was capable of it.
I feel this is one aspect that gets overlooked a lot about why he decided just to end it all....it's interesting

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:33 am

Jasper wrote:
He said that he was tired of the soft-loud-soft formula of Nirvana, and wanted to write songs that didn't use that template. He was longing to do other things, musically, and wanted to make stuff more along the lines of R.E.M. - but he didn't know if his current band was capable of it.
Yeah, that Dave Grohl sure proved himself to be an inadequate musician.

Bandit72

#14 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 am

Jasper wrote:
Do you think he was actually bored of "grunge"? Maybe he was a bit been there done that. Would have been odd going to see them play where half the set was classic Nirvana and half the set was alternative/folk/pop/rock/REM esque. Obviously we'll never know.

popeye

#15 Post by popeye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:19 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Yeah, that Dave Grohl sure proved himself to be an inadequate musician.

Well Dave did write a lot of songs while on the road at that time but was too intimidated by Kurt's writing to share, but he did come up with Marigold.

I'm pretty sure Kurt included himself in that statement anyway. He knew there were limitations in his guitar playing obviously

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am

If Perry had died around the GGU era we would have thought he'd have done mellow acoustic stuff forever. Who would have thought he'd be fronting a pale imitation of Jane's? It's hard to imagine Kurt doing something so ridiculous, but then again, there's a time we would have said the same about Perry.

Juana

#17 Post by Juana » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 am

The thing is I really only liked the unplugged album and most of In Utero, I thought the unplugged album was the most "punk" thing they had done to that point because MTV wanted them to play all their hits and they played like 6 covers and brought "the brothers meat" on the stage as well.

The only thing better is if they would have played Negative Creep with a zydeco twist or something.