Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: Van Halen

#101 Post by creep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Funny clip from last night's show of Dave stopping the show due to people fighting in the front section (start at 4:30):

that is the first recent clip i have watched. my observations:

1-wolfgang is fat as fuck
2-dlr is 100x gayer acting than perry onstage and perry acts pretty gay.

Matz

#102 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

he's not that fat what are you talking about? As I remember it he was way bigger in 2008

creep
Site Admin

#103 Post by creep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Matz wrote:he's not that fat what are you talking about? As I remember it he was way bigger in 2008
yeah he is...not 300lb fat but he is fat. i had heard he wasn't fat anymore...i was just surprised to see that he still is.

Matz

#104 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:25 pm

yeah ok you got a point. I hadn't seen those up close ones

Pandemonium

#105 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

creep wrote:2-dlr is 100x gayer acting than perry onstage and perry acts pretty gay.
It's pretty hard to argue that. The slip n' slide mat he uses on center stage and those goofy Motown moves he puts on don't help. I don't know if he's just baked from decades of partying or what, but you looks at clips, especially those B/W interview things he's done to promote the new album and it seems to me like he doesn't have full control of his body and mouth and just spazzes out when he's in front of a camera or worse, onstage in front of a big audience.

chaos

#106 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Funny clip from last night's show of Dave stopping the show due to people fighting in the front section (start at 4:30):

"What do you think this is, a fucking mosh pit ..." :lol:

jptm

#107 Post by jptm » Thu May 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Hope that's all it is; infighting---I don't want to see Eddie relapse... but still, not surprising:
Van Halen Postpone Summer Tour Dates
All shows after June 26th pulled from band's website

By Steve Knopper
May 17, 2012 4:45 PM ET

Van Halen have abruptly postponed all tour dates after their June 26th show in New Orleans with no explanation.

The band yanked more than 30 long-planned dates, including shows in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Salt Lake City and El Paso. Local promoters United Concerts and AEG issued statements regarding some postponed shows to local media, including the Salt Lake Tribune and Las Cruces Sun-News, but no details have been offered yet about rescheduled dates or refunds.

Most of the tour is promoted by Live Nation, whose reps wouldn't comment. The band's rep also had no comment. A source with knowledge of the tour tells Rolling Stone that Van Halen's members "hate each other." Adds the source, "The band is arguing like mad. They are fighting."

News of the postponed tour dates surprised several arena reps, who are featuring upcoming Van Halen shows prominently on their websites. "You want to know the absolute fuckin' truth? I have no fuckin' idea," another concert-business source with knowledge of the tour tells Rolling Stone.

"It's selling pretty good – I don't know why they would say it's being canceled," says a source at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, where the band was supposed to perform on July 7th.

Several of the non-canceled dates have nearly sold out, including this Saturday's show in Minneapolis and June 20th in Dallas. "We're selling really well," says Jack Larson, vice president and general manager of the Xcel Energy Center. "We're looking forward to it."

After decades of touring with Sammy Hagar (and, for a brief period in the late 1990s, Gary Cherone), Van Halen reunited with David Lee Roth for a 2007 tour and hit the road again with him in February. The band released its first new album with Roth, "A Different Kind of Truth," earlier that month. It sold 187,000 copies in its debut week and hit Number Two.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120517

Pandemonium

#108 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 17, 2012 5:12 pm

It's almost a certainty Rolling Stone got their "info" about band infighting from some guy who posted on one of the VH fan site message boards that his "acquaintance" who worked in booked for one of the arenas told him trouble between Roth and the brothers was the reason for the tour being postponed/cancelled. It wouldn't be the first time RS got their "scoop" straight off of unfounded chatter on a rock band fan message board. There's been other people who have apparently been accurate about the inner workings of the band that say there's no issues between the members, nor is it more cancer problems with Eddie and that the reason should be made clear in the next couple days.

Speculating about reasons, aside from the band conflict and possible health issue(s) excuses, the other possible reason could be that the band/management/promoter(s) have realized they've oversaturated the North America market and with the latest round of shows in secondary markets not selling as well as some in the VH organization may want, decided it makes better financial sense to simply end the tour in June. I was pretty floored at the number of arenas they've booked (and so far played) this year

Whatever the reasons and issues involved, I'm glad I'm locked in for the second Staples show in LA next month which will be one of the last shows played.

creep
Site Admin

#109 Post by creep » Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 pm

is anyone shocked that this didn't work out? i really don't understand why they would have to get along. just do all your communication through management and make some money.

Pandemonium

#110 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm

creep wrote:is anyone shocked that this didn't work out? i really don't understand why they would have to get along. just do all your communication through management and make some money.
That's pretty much how they've been doing it since they got back together in '07. The Van Halens travel separately from Roth, the only time they see each other is in the afternoons at whatever arena they're playing at and the show itself. They recorded the last album in two different studios to minimize contact. And even with all that, they all supposedly *do* get along these days better'n they ever did back in the day.

Add to this, back in '04 when they did the Sammy Hagar reunion tour, by mid-tour Hagar wanted out of the band because Eddie was so psychotically out of his head on drugs and booze but he went ahead and did another 2 months worth of shows when promoters offered more dates. IMO, if there were really that severe personal issues between (likely Roth and Eddie) to warrant canning shows, they'd cancel everything from LA at the beginning of June onwards as the LA shows are the only ones remaining that have sold out.

Tyler Durden

#111 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 pm

I swear, I don't understand these bands (Van Halen, Jane's, GNR) and the amount of bad blood, etc between them, respectively. There should never be this high a level of drama between people unless they have a sexual history between them. In Jane's case, that may apply. :hehe: It shouldn't be about money because once they are on tour, the deals have been done. Some rockstar egos are just beyond all comprehension.

jptm

#112 Post by jptm » Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm

creep
Site Admin

#113 Post by creep » Thu May 17, 2012 7:48 pm

i can understand fighting while recording but not while touring.

kv

#114 Post by kv » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I swear, I don't understand these bands (Van Halen, Jane's, GNR) and the amount of bad blood, etc between them, respectively. There should never be this high a level of drama between people unless they have a sexual history between them. In Jane's case, that may apply. :hehe: It shouldn't be about money because once they are on tour, the deals have been done. Some rockstar egos are just beyond all comprehension.
just go join a reg old shitty band and you will understand it's a struggle for sure

Tyler Durden

#115 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm

kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I swear, I don't understand these bands (Van Halen, Jane's, GNR) and the amount of bad blood, etc between them, respectively. There should never be this high a level of drama between people unless they have a sexual history between them. In Jane's case, that may apply. :hehe: It shouldn't be about money because once they are on tour, the deals have been done. Some rockstar egos are just beyond all comprehension.
just go join a reg old shitty band and you will understand it's a struggle for sure
Yeah, if you're in a "reg old shitty band", no doubt. However, if you're getting paid millions of dollars, I see it differently. I'd put up with any old asshole if I was making tons of money. "What's that? Axl's late again? Ah well, I'll be in my dressing room, eating caviar, and getting a blow job from two 20 year old broads."

SR

#116 Post by SR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:14 pm

yeah, pretty much fuck em. I don't forgive individuals that don't show up.....total lack of respect and all that. Fuck them.....douchebag fuckwits.

kv

#117 Post by kv » Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:
Yeah, if you're in a "reg old shitty band", no doubt. However, if you're getting paid millions of dollars, I see it differently. I'd put up with any old asshole if I was making tons of money. "What's that? Axl's late again? Ah well, I'll be in my dressing room, eating caviar, and getting a blow job from two 20 year old broads."
and you'd be a sell out...happy but still

Tyler Durden

#118 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 17, 2012 8:23 pm

kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:
and you'd be a sell out...happy but still
Depends on your definition of selling out. I define selling out as being an artistic hack...and in the case with Van Halen, it's not like they ever really had any cred to begin with. :lol: I don't consider Eric putting up with Perry for a summer (NIN/JA) and promoting a box set while collecting a HUGE paycheck "selling out". Selling out would have been recording a crap Jane's album which panders to the masses. That's my take anyway.

Pandemonium

#119 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Depends on your definition of selling out. I define selling out as being an artistic hack...and in the case with Van Halen, it's not like they ever really had any cred to begin with. :lol: I don't consider Eric putting up with Perry for a summer (NIN/JA) and promoting a box set while collecting a HUGE paycheck "selling out". Selling out would have been recording a crap Jane's album which panders to the masses. That's my take anyway.
IMO, "selling out" is a nebulous thing and the definition changes from artist to artist. It's pretty much a violation of established or otherwise unspoken values.

Example: Bruce Springsteen doing a commercial for MacDonalds singing "Hungry Heart" while munching on a Big mac is selling out. The Cult allowing their big hit "She Sells Sanctuary" to be Rap-ified into some shitty remix for a Budweiser commercial complete with Ian Astbury cameo is not selling out. Why? Because Springsteen long ago put himself forth as someone with a certain level of personal and artistic integrity and he's consistently stuck to it. The Cult have never put themselves forward as anything other than a typical rock band and have never implied any artistic or personal values towards what they will or will not do. I mean, I almost expect a band like KISS to sell any comic, toy, appliance, whatever with their name on it - on the other hand, I would be shocked if Trent Reznor licensed NIN action figures.

IMO, Eric's stint past the club shows with Janes was very close to selling out. He pretty much knew it wasn't going to work when they tried to record with Trent Reznor yet he went ahead and did the NINJA nostalgia tour. I'd never begrudge a musician earning a paycheck but Eric has long been perceived as someone with a certain level of integrity but I think he blew some of that coin doing a tour he knew was a doomed prospect and not much more artistically valid as being the salaried bass player for Garbage.

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm

:noclue:
Even rockstars can get tired ... and TMZ has learned that's exactly why Van Halen decided to postpone 31 upcoming concert dates.

Sources close to the band tell us ... the guys felt like the current schedule was "too much, too fast" ... and they were "losing their focus."

One source tells us, "They're simply burned out" ... adding, "They want to make sure their concerts are not a routine ... they want every performance to be special."

We're told the guys want to take some time to "re-charge their engines" ... so they can rock all 31 cities the way Van Halen fans expect to be rocked.

As for rumors that Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth are feuding ... we're told "It's total B.S."

Matz

#121 Post by Matz » Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

according to the article that jptm is linking to it's because Eddie's having hicups 6 hours a day

creep
Site Admin

#122 Post by creep » Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Matz wrote:according to the article that jptm is linking to it's because Eddie's having hicups 6 hours a day
you didn't believe that did you?

Matz

#123 Post by Matz » Fri May 18, 2012 3:10 pm

ehm, maybe.... :lol: Actually I know someone this kind of thing has happened to so maybe that's why I fell for it. If it really is a joke. Maybe it's not

Pandemonium

#124 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 20, 2012 9:27 am

Roth addresses why the tour is being rescheduled:

http://vimeo.com/42480835

The guy is getting weirder as he gets older, no question.

Pandemonium

#125 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Dave and Eddie definitely hate each other....