Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
CaseyContrarian

Re: Van Halen

#81 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:still blows me away there are van halen threads on a janes site
Why? You've got a flamboyant, slightly nuts frontman, a virtuoso guitarist, bass player controversy... throw in substance abuse, nepotism and the inability to make a proper record for 20+ years, and I'd say it lines up pretty well.

kv

#82 Post by kv » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 am

because i grew up in la and the strip and all the metal bands was everything i and janes despised

Jasper

#83 Post by Jasper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 am

kv wrote:because i grew up in la and the strip and all the metal bands was everything i and janes despised
I hear ya, this Van Halen stuff is pretty odd to see here, or it was before I got so used to Pandemonium posting about them. We have to accept that Dave and Perk were total metalheads, and they still retain a lot of that - especially Dave. Dave's almost certainly a fan of Eddie's guitar abilities, or at least he was back then. Metal was an ingredient in Jane's, it just got warped and weirded-out and stirred in with dozens of other things.

SR

#84 Post by SR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:40 am

:nod:
kv wrote:because i grew up in la and the strip and all the metal bands was everything i and janes despised

Hokahey
Site Admin

#85 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

When I read Pandemonium's vast concert going history over the decades I can understand the Van Halen interest. He has a lot of information and interest on almost any important rock band from the past 30 years. I find it interesting to read what Van Halen is doing from a trainwreck perspective. I've never owned an album of theirs though and probably never will. But if I had been of age when they first came out I can see how they would have caught my attention. It was the Van Hagar days that they became a pretty lame rock band, even if they had a few decent songs. I can remember as a teenager thinking the "Right Now" video was pretty cool.

chaos

#86 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:28 pm

http://awards.music.yahoo.com/blog/171- ... rammy-buzz

'Hot for Teacher' Star Surfaces after Band's Grammy Buzz

This year's Grammy nominations concert raised rumors of a Van Halen reunion performance. While the band never materialized onstage that night (much to the disappointment of the fans, who still hope the band will surface in some capacity on Grammy night), it is now kicking off a tour that it advertised with a video remix that includes "Hot for Teacher." The original music video for that 1984 song turned a spotlight on Lillian Muller, who played a teacher that inspired the attention of the students.

Yahoo! caught up with Muller and found that more than 25 years later, the model has carved out a career as an inspirational speaker, personal health consultant, and author. She has been a vegetarian since she was 27 (and despite her rock 'n' roll resumé has never had a drink in her life), which she says has helped keep her "Hot for Teacher" physique intact.

Muller auditioned to play the teacher but thought she wouldn't get the part because of her age. "I was early 30s at the time. I was a little old for the role," she says, admitting she has never seen the music video. "But now I am in my 60s."
Muller celebrated 60 this summer and sent her 21-year-old daughter off to college (but not before they both posed in matching white bikinis for a photo shoot). She's now posing for AARP instead of Playboy, but her looks haven't changed all that dramatically over the decades.

For music buffs, she also played the object of Rod Stewart's affection in "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" in 1978. She says that none of the rockers she worked with flirted with her. (Her Hollywood romances, she says, were with then-"Magnum P.I." star Tom Selleck and Hugh Hefner.)

Muller is still acting but also has become an author (she wrote "Feel Great, Be Beautiful Over 40" in 1995). She is now a personal health consultant and inspirational speaker. She never married, but was engaged multiple times. "I always changed my mind in the end," she said. One thing she has no doubts about is that she would step up for another video now that the band is back together, and she has more to offer. "I'm a more valuable package now than in my 30s. I still have my physical condition, and I've become a much wiser person," said Muller, who has never had Botox or facial plastic surgery. "I would definitely appear in any video that would be classy and exciting." Whether Van Halen stages a surprise Grammy reunion appearance or not, check back in for full coverage of the awards on Feb. 12 on Yahoo!.

"I eat mostly raw food. People think I'm 40," she said.

Pandemonium

#87 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

hokahey wrote:When I read Pandemonium's vast concert going history over the decades I can understand the Van Halen interest. He has a lot of information and interest on almost any important rock band from the past 30 years. I find it interesting to read what Van Halen is doing from a trainwreck perspective. I've never owned an album of theirs though and probably never will. But if I had been of age when they first came out I can see how they would have caught my attention. It was the Van Hagar days that they became a pretty lame rock band, even if they had a few decent songs. I can remember as a teenager thinking the "Right Now" video was pretty cool.
Yeah, when Sammy Hagar joined the band, I lost most of my interest in them. I had seen them at least once every tour from '78 - '84 and did continue to see them with Hagar (except the OU812 Monsters of Rock festival in '88) through his tenure, it was more like how I now see Janes, just kind of keep going because of some sort of loyalty to their past and I know the show will be entertaining on some level. But even by Van Halen's peak in '84, I had started to really branch out to other much more interesting bands encompassing different genres, especially punk, goth, etc.

But regarding KV's comments about the Hollywood Music scene becoming a cookie cutter hair metal factory - that really didn't start happening until about 1982 - 83 well after Van Halen was at their peak with Roth. I know a *lot* of bands (of all different genres) were inspired by Van Halen's DIY philosophy of street level self promotion but they accomplished that back in the late 70's when there was really nothing of worth going on in the local Hollywood music scene. Van Halen's only other direct competition was Quiet Riot and beyond that it was mostly a lot of other new wave and punk bands that really dominated the scene through the early 80's. A good peek at what the Sunset Strip music scene was like during the late '70's is actually the first Cheech and Chong comedy "Up In Smoke." There's no metal bands at the club battle of the bands thing.

It was really bands like Motley Crue, Dokken, Steeler, etc that were more directly influenced by British metal bands like Judas Priest Scorpions, Iron Maiden, etc that got the ball rolling on metal taking over the Strip. Then you had Guns n' Roses (who were more influenced by Hanoi Rocks and The Rolling Stones then real "metal" bands) hitting it big in '87 and the floodgates just opened big time. '87 - '90 in Hollywood *was* a pretty big stereotype of cookie cutter hair metal bands.

CaseyContrarian

#88 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 am

Eddie was an innovator, just like Hendrix. DLR was a great showman; I've long called him the Steve Martin of rock.

They deserve respect for what they achieved in the original incarnation. That said, the only album by them I truly like or listen to is Fair Warning.

I grew up with post-punk, original goth and experimental. But I still like quality classic rock, and understand why it's "classic." The hair metal era was in full effect when I started playing guitar, where the only choice was between poodle shred and thrash. Then Jane's came to liberate me. Dave made it cool to have chops and be out there and psychedelic. Somehow I was able to thread Jimmy Page through Daniel Ash to me. It felt great. But I always saw EVH as an innovator. He changed the rules, for better or worse. And I still marvel at his abilities in context of his appearance on the scene.

Larry B.

#89 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 am

Pandemonium

#90 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 am

Larry B. wrote:Image
Mildly funny, but Van Halen didn't release their first single until 1978 and their last single with Roth was in 1984. Which as an aside, means they released 6 albums in six years - which is a in-between album break for some bands like U2.

Matz

#91 Post by Matz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:20 pm

cool interview

Artemis

#92 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanx Matz. :tiphat:

I really enjoyed that interview.

Pandemonium

#93 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

They're keeping up the plan to introduce one new long unplayed deep cut every 1 or 2 shows through the tour. In the last week, they played two gems from their Diver Down album:

The Full Bug

Hang Em High

I really hope they bring in Light Up The Sky, DOA and more new cuts.

Matz

#94 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 am

that's really cool, Eddie is sounding great too

lollapaloser

#95 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am

Pandemonium wrote:They're keeping up the plan to introduce one new long unplayed deep cut every 1 or 2 shows through the tour. In the last week, they played two gems from their Diver Down album:

The Full Bug

Hang Em High

I really hope they bring in Light Up The Sky, DOA and more new cuts.
Those are all awesome tunes, what's DOA though?

Matz

#96 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am

that's from VH II I think, to lazy to check right now

lollapaloser

#97 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks, obviously I am too. :wink:

Pandemonium

#98 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 am

DOA = Dead Or Alive. Yeah, taken from VHII although they were playing it at least two years before that second album came out and it was part of the original 25 song demo recordings. As far as I know, the song has never been played live since the VHII tour in '79.

lollapaloser

#99 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Cool, I remember that tune. Light up the Sky was the only tune I remembered really liking off VHII. I probably liked others, just don't remember, bet I haven't heard it in over 20 years. I was listening to it after my sophomore semi, all bummed after my date just talked to her friends all night. :lol:

Thanks for putting that up, my lazy ass never would have gotten around to listening to it. :rockon:

Pandemonium

#100 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Funny clip from last night's show of Dave stopping the show due to people fighting in the front section (start at 4:30):

creep
Site Admin

#101 Post by creep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Funny clip from last night's show of Dave stopping the show due to people fighting in the front section (start at 4:30):

that is the first recent clip i have watched. my observations:

1-wolfgang is fat as fuck
2-dlr is 100x gayer acting than perry onstage and perry acts pretty gay.

Matz

#102 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

he's not that fat what are you talking about? As I remember it he was way bigger in 2008

creep
Site Admin

#103 Post by creep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Matz wrote:he's not that fat what are you talking about? As I remember it he was way bigger in 2008
yeah he is...not 300lb fat but he is fat. i had heard he wasn't fat anymore...i was just surprised to see that he still is.

Matz

#104 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:25 pm

yeah ok you got a point. I hadn't seen those up close ones

Pandemonium

#105 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

creep wrote:2-dlr is 100x gayer acting than perry onstage and perry acts pretty gay.
It's pretty hard to argue that. The slip n' slide mat he uses on center stage and those goofy Motown moves he puts on don't help. I don't know if he's just baked from decades of partying or what, but you looks at clips, especially those B/W interview things he's done to promote the new album and it seems to me like he doesn't have full control of his body and mouth and just spazzes out when he's in front of a camera or worse, onstage in front of a big audience.