Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.

Re: Van Halen

Postby Bandit72 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 am

Panda, do you have a favourite out of Roth and Hagar?
Bandit72

Postby Pandemonium » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Panda, do you have a favourite out of Roth and Hagar?

Song, album or singer?

Probably "Unchained," 1st album although Fair Warning is a close second, and Roth.

Of the 4 Hagar era albums, probably F.U.C.K. is probably my favorite but I haven't listened to it in probably 10 years.
Pandemonium

Postby Matz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:32 am

favorite song is impossible to choose cause there are so many great ones, but I'll go with Runnin' with the devil. A few months ago I was watching a bit of a Volbeat show and then went from that to Metallica sound checking and playing Runnin' with he devil at the Rose Bowl. The song made Volbeat sound like amateurs really. They don't have a single song that comes close to that level of songwriting.

Album is the 1st one and favorite singer is Roth.

Although the Hagar period had its moments like When it's love. The verse riff in that is amazing and so is the guitar solo.
Matz

Postby Bandit72 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

Yeh I was on about the singers. I kind of fell out of love with Van Halen when Roth left, but I watched some live stuff recently with Hagar and maybe I should have paid more attention.
Bandit72

Postby Pandemonium » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am

Bandit72 wrote:Yeh I was on about the singers. I kind of fell out of love with Van Halen when Roth left, but I watched some live stuff recently with Hagar and maybe I should have paid more attention.

Dave has become a weird goof the last couple'a decades but that run of the first 6 albums and even the 2012 reunion album are pretty much untouchable (although Diver Down has some crap on it). From about '79 - '82, Dave was the greatest frontman of any arena-level rawk band. Dave these days is more or less what Perry would have turned out if Perry didn't get married and still partied.... a mediocre singer but a still compelling frontman and artist.

I remember seeing them during the 1984 tour and it was pretty obvious the band was not long for the world. When Dave put out that stupid EP of cover songs and soon afterwords announced he'd left the band in Spring of '85, I thought VH was done. Hiring Hagar at first seemed to be a good fit but when they debuted the "Why Can't This Be Love" single the Summer of '86, I thought they shit the bed big time. Although I saw the 5150 tour, it was really a completely different band that had lost a lot of the edge they used to have. Probably the highlight of the show was that they performed great versions of Hagar's old band Montrose' "Make It Last" and "Rock Candy." I thought Hagar sucked on the versions of the 3 or 4 Roth era songs they played. The subsequent "Monsters Of Rock" stadium thing in '88 was the first VH tour I skipped and the band completely fell off my radar for a few years after that.
Pandemonium

Previous

Return to Music And Art