Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Re: Van Halen

#261 Post by SR » Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Saw you dropped in Panda, and it reminded me. I read recently that DLR was having a hard time closing the deal on the lyrics to "I'll Wait". So, Ted Templeton reached out to Michael McDonald (TT also worked with the Doobies as I'm sure you're aware) and set up a meet between the two. MMD ended up co-writing the words. He said of it...something to the effect of "Of any song I've written, it's probably had the most airplay". But I am old enough to remember the millions of spins Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes got decades ago.

True story?

Pandemonium

#262 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 17, 2022 8:23 pm

SR wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Saw you dropped in Panda, and it reminded me. I read recently that DLR was having a hard time closing the deal on the lyrics to "I'll Wait". So, Ted Templeton reached out to Michael McDonald (TT also worked with the Doobies as I'm sure you're aware) and set up a meet between the two. MMD ended up co-writing the words. He said of it...something to the effect of "Of any song I've written, it's probably had the most airplay". But I am old enough to remember the millions of spins Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes got decades ago.

True story?
Yes. I agree it seems McDonald should have received far more in airplay and royalties for any number of the numerous big singles throughout the Doobie Brother's career versus "I'll Wait" which was the least of the singles released from "1984." Additionally, on the original pressings of the "1984" album, McDonald did not get co-publishing credit which I believe McDonald sued for and got once the album was remastered for CD in 2001.

intertwoven

#263 Post by intertwoven » Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Talk of VH/TT/MMD calls to mind a classic YouTube "Yacht Rock" clip..

:lolol:

The "Michael Jackson" episode is probably my favorite of this little wacky series, and also has some VH content..

SR

#264 Post by SR » Thu May 19, 2022 4:23 am

Kenny Loggins keychain :lolol:

clickie

#265 Post by clickie » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:39 am

I was watching that one show people come and jam with Sammy Hagar, this episode he had on John Cougar Melloncamp. So anyways John Cougar said "I'm old". And then Sammy i'm older than you.
I didn't realize Sammy is 74 years old.He's so energetic.

drwintercreeper

#266 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:24 am

Hey Panda!

You always have great Van Halen history … if u have time, what do u know about what happened in 1996 with Roth? I read it was a weird time at 5150 and the lyrics for “cant’t get this stuff no more” allude to that…. Revolving door of singers, Cherone was already hired by September. I want to know what else was on the tape that was given to Roth… were they all balance outtakes? Was ‘Me Wise’ recorded together? Those Roth songs are great. In an alternate reality where LA bands have their shit together, it would have been killer for that summer/fall Roth lineup to do a full album and then the legacy maybe doesn’t get shat on for a decade or more.

Thanks

Pandemonium

#267 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:53 pm

OK, grab a beer or three and sit back.......

In early 1996, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar had just gone through a really painful process of coming up with music for the Twister movie soundtrack. The writing was on the way for the past year or two that Hagar was not long for staying in the band. He and Eddie clashed over every stupid thing and soon after they managed to get one song ("Humans Being") and one piano instrumental that played over the credits for the movie, Eddie confronted Hagar over the phone about his role in the band and Hagar more or less said he wanted to be a solo artist again and thus, exit Sammy.

During early Summer '96, Warner Bros asked Van Halen to put together a single CD "Best Of" compilation featuring Roth and Hagar era tracks and include perhaps a few unreleased or new songs. The record company contacts both Hagar and Roth for their input and Dave calls Eddie and they reconnect on a personal level. In Eddie's words, "we connected on a personal level that we never did when he was originally in the band." So Eddie gets the idea "why not have Dave sing two new tracks for the Best Of?" Dave was onboard and the apparently spent days upon days sifting through various half finished songs, instrumentals, riffs, etc trying to find something that Dave liked and felt comfortable singing on. During this time producer Glenn Ballard and Desmond Child contributed to the process and eventually the put together two songs "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" which was an instrumental shuffle fleshed out a couple years earlier that Sammy rejected. During this process Eddie repeatedly made it clear that this project was a one-off thing and there was no guarantee Roth was back in the band full time, plus Eddie was going to take at least 6 months off to get his hip surgery in early '97.

Now right at the tail end of these few weeks after the Roths songs were finished, Eddie had connected with 3rd tier rock singer Mitch Malloy and after a couple weeks working together at Ed's home studio, Eddie offered Malloy the frontman job for Van Halen. Literally a couple days later Malloy is living in Ed's guest house watching the MTV thing go down. The original VH lineup comes onstage to present an award to Beck to rapturous applause and Roth is like someone who just did a pound of blow - he's gyrating all over the stage and hamming it up. Meanwhile, Malloys watching this on tv and knew he didn't stand a chance at being successful fronting Van Halen when the entire viewing audience is thinking "Dave's back in VH!" It only gets worse during the post show press conferences when Ed repeatedly says this is a one-off little project and keeps mentioning his upcoming hip surgery. After about the 3rd presser, Dave confronts Eddie and demands he stop making this about his "fuckin' hip." They almost come to blows. Party over.

By early September, Eddie had been introduced to former (and now current again) singer for Extreme through their manager who managed both bands at the time (convenient, hmm?). Cherone was hired, they recorded a epically awful album "VH3" and not even a decent tour could save the lineup. Just a few months into doing preliminary work on the follow-up to VH3, Gary Cherone and Van Halen amicably part ways.

At this point, things start to really fall apart. Ed finally gets his hip replacement surgery which was supposed to have been done before the VH3 album and tour. Recovering, Ed is seriously stung by the bad press and is back full time on drugs and drinking heavily. In 2000, the band secretly reunite with David Lee Roth and recorded several complete songs. The song "As Is" is supposedly one of the finished songs that later would up on the "Different Kind Of Truth" album. Whatever project this was going to be fell apart when as Dave put it "Lawyers got involved" and the project was abandoned.

At this point early in 2000, Eddie had the first of several major cancer scares, leading to a large portion of this tongue being removed and rounds of quasi-legal/legit experimental therapy for some time. During this time, the band dropped Warner Bros and all their business support staff. The band was rudderless and basically ceased to be a band in every sense of the word.

drwintercreeper

#268 Post by drwintercreeper » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:43 am

Fantastic history lesson…… thank you thank you. As I have gotten older, I realized how sane and stable Roth is in comparison to the VH bros….. he seems much more content and not embittered, super well-traveled, the EMT thing, he saved all his money…

I had no idea Sammy wanted out in 96. I could understand his decision to leave in 04 though so it makes sense.

Is there any truth to a box set coming? I know the Hagar era vinyls dropped but I want scraps and demos, like music bank and cabinet o curiosities.

Thanks again for the fantastic info. Panda history time is as good as kindergarten story time. I learn so much

Hokahey
Site Admin

#269 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:27 am

I love how I don’t care about Van Halen but always read pandas posts about them.

drwintercreeper

#270 Post by drwintercreeper » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Yea, serious good reading for a beer, or reefer, if that’s your thing.

Not to go off topic, but tonight was supposed to be the P4P Omaha show. Total bummer.

Pandemonium

#271 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:32 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:43 am
Fantastic history lesson…… thank you thank you. As I have gotten older, I realized how sane and stable Roth is in comparison to the VH bros….. he seems much more content and not embittered, super well-traveled, the EMT thing, he saved all his money…

I had no idea Sammy wanted out in 96. I could understand his decision to leave in 04 though so it makes sense.

Is there any truth to a box set coming? I know the Hagar era vinyls dropped but I want scraps and demos, like music bank and cabinet o curiosities.
(snip)
At this time, there's no box set in the works. The two guys who would be most involved are Alex Van Halen and Eddie's son Wolfgang. Alex has become a hermit since his brother died and Wolfgang seems to have a weird, adversarial relationship with the band's online fanbase and often claims there's nothing really left in the "vaults."

Which is total bullshit.... Recently, about 4 hours of studio out-takes from 1977-1982 surfaced in excellent quality along with most of the pre-1st album demos also in best-ever quality. Also, the entire 1984 UK Donnington Monsters of Rock show has surfaced as a single 16mm silent camera pro shot from the stage paired with decent bootleg recorded audience audio. This big festival show was one of the last shows the original lineup of VH played near the end of the tour and you can kind of see the fractures between Roth and the band.

Here's a MegaUpload link to some of the demos, unreleased tracks, alt takes, etc that recently leaked. They are all MP3s so they'll download fast:

https://mega.nz/folder/TBVGCD7I#hIba-vnBRETwLVh1S209pQ

Hokahey
Site Admin

#272 Post by Hokahey » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:03 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:26 pm
Yea, serious good reading for a beer, or reefer, if that’s your thing.

Not to go off topic, but tonight was supposed to be the P4P Omaha show. Total bummer.
Yeah I was supposed to see Nation of Language in KC on Friday, P4P in Omaha Saturday, then the Chiefs game Sunday. Instead of what promised to be an incredible weekend I somehow wound up doing 0 of those things. Oh well. I have seen more concerts in the past year and a half than I have the last 10 years combined, and I go to most of the Chiefs games. I’ll live.

SR

#273 Post by SR » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:56 am

Yes, good stuff...didn't I read more than once that Hagar left because of a new manager brought in who was somehow intimately related to one of the brothers? Hagar hated his vision and wanted to spend time with his new wife and kiddo?