Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Deconstruction

Re: Van Halen

#41 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:17 am

New 90 second clips are out of every song, and full versions of Blood & Fire/The Trouble With Never. The album is amazing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2607563/Van%20H ... amples.zip

Matz

#42 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 am

it's ok I guess, but we've heard it all before in a higher quality

SR

#43 Post by SR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 am

Pandemonium wrote:More tracks are out. I looks like Amazon UK fucked up and has several tracks available for download 2 weeks early. This one sounds like an updated "Ice Cream Man:"

:cool:

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am

The album is excellent, way beyond anything anyone who's been aware of the band's history, especially Eddie's fuckups and decline the past 15 years had any right to expect. Listening to it, it's remarkable to think how it sounds like the logical follow-up to the "1984" album as if all the Hagar and Cherone albums never existed. Most impressive, is I can't think of another band that went almost 30 years before reuniting with their singer and releasing a new studio album that sits comfortably with the best of their original work.

It helps that about 2/3rds of the songs are reworked demos from '76 - '77 but Eddie has been mining his first few year's work through the 80's and 90's anyway, so that's nothing new. What this albums shows, is that even with a David Lee Roth who's vox are more limited than ever, Van Halen still sounds totally unique, even compared to the Hagar era. It's nice to have a Van Halen record with no Hagaresque songs with simple bone headed lyrics that equate sex with food (Poundcake, Good Enough, Up For Breakfast, ad nauseum) or sappy, keyboard driven love songs. What better, is the band actually exhibit energy and enthusiasm and Ed's son actually shows some great chops on bass.

My only complaint is that Roth's vox sometimes sound wincingly weak and obviously recorded apart from the rest of the band. Plus having him mixed dry and up front on most of the songs does him no favors. But the music is just flawless. Welcome back, Eddie.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 am

glad to hear u diggin the new record .. is it out or did u get some leaked version .. i kinda dig tatoo and get frosty so far .. i've never been to gaga over vh like i was for some other bands but i like them enough to be curious every once in a while and the snippets i have heard really do sound like the ole vh i always dug .. never was into hagar altho 5150 still isn't so bad .. its pretty normal to mine old riffs and licks .. i kinda wish janes had done that and put out the proper follow up to ritual with kettle divers suffer city maceo blood rag so what and a couple new tunes .. i am glad vh is out there proving it possible to comeback with a solid effort

Matz

#46 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 am

you really think it's that good? Hmm, maybe I should give those songs another spin

Warped

#47 Post by Warped » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:45 am

Well, i listened several times and i don't like it. That Tattoo song is the worst.

Matz

#48 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 am

I like the Tattoo song the most of what I've heard so far

Pandemonium

#49 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 am

Van Halen played another "secret show" last night at Henson Recording Studios in Hollywood to about 150 invited guests, mostly music industry toads, friends and various fan website owners. For the hour set, they played a few more new songs as well as including a Brazilian drum and conga line during set closer "Jump."

JOEinPHX

#50 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, when everyone was wondering what they were doing for the last 2 years, i guess the answer for Eddie was "getting fat and old"

I can't believe he goes onstage dressed like that.

Pandemonium

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Well, when everyone was wondering what they were doing for the last 2 years, i guess the answer for Eddie was "getting fat and old"

I can't believe he goes onstage dressed like that.
Yeah, he's definitely off drugs 'cause he's got man-boobs now. But the guy is playing solidly again and the new album is easily the best, complete rock album I've heard in years. I'll take a chunky EVH who can play vs a Iggy Pop-lookin' skinny Eddie with half his teeth falling out and playing like shit like he did in '04.

Seriously, after hearing the new album this week, it ranks right up with the best stuff of the original 6 Roth era albums and I think it's just going to big huge when it goes on sale next week and the tour starts later this month.

BTW, here's how you promote a new album, Perry:

JOEinPHX

#52 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

i'll bet it sells worse than Chinese Democracy.

kv

#53 Post by kv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

i bet they'd say the same thing...chin dem was multi plat no? and a long time ago when people bought cd's

Juana

#54 Post by Juana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:05 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i'll bet it sells worse than Chinese Democracy.
It's funny they only finally put that record out so they can tour.... Axl's band still makes lots of money and I have a feeling VH is putting out the album to play a 2 hour set of older hit songs and make bank

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am

Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i'll bet it sells worse than Chinese Democracy.
It's funny they only finally put that record out so they can tour.... Axl's band still makes lots of money and I have a feeling VH is putting out the album to play a 2 hour set of older hit songs and make bank
They already did that with Roth in 2007/2008. I like the album so much, I'd be happy if they played at least 8 songs from it and maybe just 6 of the burnout hits and a few deep cuts like The Full Bug, Light Up The Sky, Bottoms Up, House Of Pain, etc that they didn't play the last tour.

jptm

#56 Post by jptm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 pm

yup, I'm really diggin' the new VH myself... too bad they had to throw in the 'tattoo' song; it seems so out of place compared to the rest of the album. nice to hear a band from 28 yrs. ago sound as fresh as they do... eddie is still a brilliant guitar player---you can just tell he's just jammed out w/alex constantly to groove these tunes out. wolfie has improved immensely; perhaps that could've been a factor for waiting--he had to get his chops up to be able to stand up w/eddie & alex--he's done it. dave---while obv. not a youngin' anymore, he still is able to find the right way to make it sound like old school VH. he still can scream, but the barritone overdubs get a bit stale. but, i still think that he's miles ahead of someone; say perry, in the voice capability. which, at 56, is impressive to me.

i could go on; maybe i will later after listening for the 20th time or so... throw out 'tattoo' and you've got a killer old school VH album.

:rockon:

CaseyContrarian

#57 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 pm

jptm wrote:yup, I'm really diggin' the new VH myself... too bad they had to throw in the 'tattoo' song; it seems so out of place compared to the rest of the album. nice to hear a band from 28 yrs. ago sound as fresh as they do... eddie is still a brilliant guitar player---you can just tell he's just jammed out w/alex constantly to groove these tunes out. wolfie has improved immensely; perhaps that could've been a factor for waiting--he had to get his chops up to be able to stand up w/eddie & alex--he's done it. dave---while obv. not a youngin' anymore, he still is able to find the right way to make it sound like old school VH. he still can scream, but the barritone overdubs get a bit stale. but, i still think that he's miles ahead of someone; say perry, in the voice capability. which, at 56, is impressive to me.

i could go on; maybe i will later after listening for the 20th time or so... throw out 'tattoo' and you've got a killer old school VH album.

:rockon:
Wolfe is doing a much better job live, for sure. But does anyone really believe he played on this record?

jptm

#58 Post by jptm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:33 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Wolfe is doing a much better job live, for sure. But does anyone really believe he played on this record?
based on his improvement seen playing live; why not? & really, let's be honest---it's not about wolfie; it's about whether or not after 28 yrs. they could come out w/something current & still holding the sound of the roth-era VH. it works, period.

CaseyContrarian

#59 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 pm

jptm wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
based on his improvement seen playing live; why not? & really, let's be honest---it's not about wolfie; it's about whether or not after 28 yrs. they could come out w/something current & still holding the sound of the roth-era VH. it works, period.
This album is really, really fucking good. Just listened. Weakest link is DLR, but he's still cool/hilarious in that inimitable way. Too bad he cant' do the howls anymore, tho.

jptm

#60 Post by jptm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote: This album is really, really fucking good.
told ya! :)

Pandemonium

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Wolfe is doing a much better job live, for sure. But does anyone really believe he played on this record?
I'm sure he played on the album, I would be surprised if Eddie didn't play bass on demos for some of the songs (which he's done for decades when Mike Anthony was in the band) to show his son what he wanted on the finished product. Eddie has a somewhat distinctive style of playing bass as well - some of the songs on the otherwise forgettable "VH3" album with Gary Cherone as well as the 3 horrible Sammy Hagar reunion songs that came out in '04 when Eddie was methed outta his mind Eddie *did* play bass on those finished tunes. The best way I can describe his style is he plays bass like a guitarist.

CaseyContrarian

#62 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Yeah, after listening to the whole thing I can happily concede that Wolfie is kicking some major ass.

thoreau

#63 Post by thoreau » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 am

Considering all of the positive reviews, I guess I'm going to have to actually check this out now.

I'd lost interest after just hearing "Tattoo".

Pandemonium

#64 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 am

thoreau wrote:Considering all of the positive reviews, I guess I'm going to have to actually check this out now.

I'd lost interest after just hearing "Tattoo".
Tattoo is by far the weakest song on the album and when you listen to the entire album, that song stands out as almost an oddity compared to the rest of the songs. It also helps it's the first song on the cd so it's easily skipped.

Matz

#65 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:16 pm

right, it's the worst song on the album so the VH camp chose it as the first single. Makes sense.

I think it's the best song of the new ones and I understand their choice. A lot of the others sound weak especially if you compare them to what's on Fair Warning and VH 1 etc