Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Killing Joke

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Killing Joke is playing a few Summer Europe festivals and apparently are using a temp drummer named Jason Bowld. The guys style reminds me of that over-the-top wedding band drummer in KV's Drum thread. Also, check out Jaz's bursting seam in his boiler suit in this clip:

chaos

#42 Post by chaos » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Also, check out Jaz's bursting seam in his boiler suit in this clip:

:lol:

You may find this blog post from March interesting:

http://www.junkarchive.co.uk/wordpress/?p=3029
Killing Joke – Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall, 14 March 2012

Jaz Gets A Right Dressing Down for the Encore

Like many others of a certain age my teenage evenings between 10pm and midnight were spent listening to the John Peel show. I can remember so clearly the evening that changed my life, I’ve had to check the date but apparently it was 17 October 1979 when I first heard Wardance, Pssyche, Malicious Boogie and Nuclear Boy and from that day forward it’s fair to say I’ve been obsessed.

Fast forward (cough) over 32 years and the original line up, plus Reza Udhin on keyboards walk on stage to a packed Wulfrun Hall and launch into European Super State from 2010′s Absolute Dissent.By the time they move on to the brilliant Sun Goes Down they’ve already hit their stride, Jaz Coleman juddering and grimacing, wild eyed, as Geordie Walker cuts swathes of noise from his guitar and the throbbing bass of Youth fits perfectly with the powerhouse drums of Big Paul Ferguson. It’s great to hear the old tracks, Chop Chop being another favourite into which they’ve breathed new life, but it’s the new tracks from the imminent release, MMXII that fill me with more pleasure. Rapture, Fema Camp, Pole Shift and Corporate Elect are all slices of classic Killing Joke, back to their best, dispensing with the metal leanings of recent releases and taking us back to the eighties (and what a song that was).

As the set progresses it dawns on me that this is a band at the height of their powers, as socially relevant and sonically challenging as they’ve ever been. If I close my eyes I could be stood at the Tower Ballroom or Digbeth Civic Hall in 1984, especially as the set reaches a climax with thundering versions of The Wait and Pssyche.

After a short breather they return for an encore of Love Like Blood, dedicated to the late Paul Raven, followed by the classic Requiem and leave the stage once more to rapturous applause. After a more lengthy break they return, Jaz sporting a rather fine dressing gown and complaining that we are keeping him from his bed before launching into a crowd pleasing run through Wardance.

Travelling home with my wife and son I can’t stop myself from repeatedly telling them that it’s the best I’ve seen them for twenty years..
Steve Hackett

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:15 pm

This is excellent:

Matz

#44 Post by Matz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 pm

:lol: brillant. I wish more people would see those narcissistic hypocrits like that

Matz

#45 Post by Matz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Pandemonium

#46 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 am

LOL, fuckin' Jaz:

Dear Gatherers,
It gives me great pleasure to announce the cancellation of the upcoming gigs with The Cult and The Mission. Frankly, playing at a gig with The Cult never appealed to me in the first place. The only reason we allowed ourselves to be talked into it was to blow both bands off the stage and to steal their respective audiences. As the concert has been downgraded to a venue that we have recently headlined (and sold out) it doesn’t make sense. In addition to this Gatherers would only get to listen to a one hour set. Then there would be a problem with the dressing room and witnessing The Cult charge the fans $200 per head for a Meet & Greet. Lastly, all their songs suck! They clearly have no integrity (they refer to their hometown as L.A.). On a more positive note KJ will be recording in Argentina just after Christmas and Brixton Academy is booked for Spring. I do believe the band will play a private gig at Metropolis Studios (London) which is of course open to all Gatherers (you are the first to know!).
I hope you are all as relieved as I am!
Black Jester
PS I don’t want your money
PPS Life without KJ is unthinkable!

mockbee

#47 Post by mockbee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just love that guy.... :love:

It's like '1991 Perry got old and more 'mature'. Still says FUCK IT, but a little more maybe stately or something.... :noclue:

perkana

#48 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 am

I'm a new fan...love listening to his interviews. Last one I heard was from Beauregard and he actually asked a question to his interviewer: "Do you think Sarkozy will go to jail? and for how long?" :lol:

chaos

#49 Post by chaos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:LOL, fuckin' Jaz:

Dear Gatherers,
It gives me great pleasure to announce the cancellation of the upcoming gigs with The Cult and The Mission. Frankly, playing at a gig with The Cult never appealed to me in the first place. The only reason we allowed ourselves to be talked into it was to blow both bands off the stage and to steal their respective audiences. As the concert has been downgraded to a venue that we have recently headlined (and sold out) it doesn’t make sense. In addition to this Gatherers would only get to listen to a one hour set. Then there would be a problem with the dressing room and witnessing The Cult charge the fans $200 per head for a Meet & Greet. Lastly, all their songs suck! They clearly have no integrity (they refer to their hometown as L.A.). On a more positive note KJ will be recording in Argentina just after Christmas and Brixton Academy is booked for Spring. I do believe the band will play a private gig at Metropolis Studios (London) which is of course open to all Gatherers (you are the first to know!).
I hope you are all as relieved as I am!
Black Jester
PS I don’t want your money
PPS Life without KJ is unthinkable!

Pandemonium

#50 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:46 pm

What balls. Only a couple weeks after Jaz slams The Cult for doing $200 Meet n' Greets, Killing Joke line this show up:

++++++++++++

http://www.musicglue.com/metropolisstud ... s-studios/

Metropolis Group presents: Killing Joke – Live At Metropolis Studios

Saturday 8 September @ METROPOLIS STUDIOS, London
General Admission (e-ticket) £195.00 £9.80 Entry Requirements: Over 18s only. Photo ID required.

• Doors: 7:00 PM
• Price: £195
• Entry: Over 18s only. Photo ID required.
• Room: Main Room
• QR Code

A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE TO BE PART OF A TV RECORDING WITH JAZ COLEMAN, GEORDIE, YOUTH, AND BIG PAUL.

SATURDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER 2012

THE BAND ARE BEING FILMED FOR TV AND DVD AND THIS UNIQUE CONCERT WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE RAMMED CLUB ATMOSPHERE OF STUDIO A AT METROPOLIS IN AN ENVIRONMENT REMINISCENT OF THE MARQUEE AND 100 CLUB. YOU WILL SEE KILLING JOKE AS YOU NEVER WILL AGAIN, WITH MOST NO MORE THAN 20 FEET FROM THE BAND.

ALL GUESTS ARE PART OF THE FILMED SHOW, AND VIP TREATMENT STARTS FROM THE MOMENT YOU ARRIVE AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS.

COMPILMENTARY BEERS ARE PROVIDED THROUGHOUT THE EVENING, AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A PERSONAL PASS AND LANYARD ON ARRIVAL. AFTER PRE-SHOW DRINKS, YOU WILL BE USHERED INTO METROPOLIS’ FAMOUS STUDIO A WHERE KILLING JOKE WILL PLAY A BLISTERING CONCERT IN AN INCREDIBLE CLUB ATMOSPHERE.

AFTER SHOW WILL BE IN METROPOLIS’ MAIN BAR WITH THE BAND JOINING THE PARTY FOR A MEET & GREET AND PHOTOGRAPHS. OUR PHOTOGRAPHER WILL BE SHOOTING THE EVENING FROM ARRIVAL TO END AND THESE HI-RES SHOTS ARE THEN LOADED ONLINE FOR VIP GUESTS TO DOWNLOAD AT THEIR DISCRETION.

ALL TICKET HOLDERS WILL HAVE THEIR NAME ON THE CREDITS OF THE TV SHOW & DVD.

ALL TICKETS ARE E-TICKETS AND ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS.
EMAIL CONFIRMATION IS EXCHANGED FOR A PERSONALISED LANYARD AND PASS UPON ARRIVAL AT THE STUDIO.

TICKETS ON SALE 9AM TUESDAY 17TH JULY 2012

mockbee

#51 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Whenever you post here I hope to god it goes something like..................
Oh, that Jaz, doing all sorts of loopy things once again. Now he's got some US West Coast dates set for September. When will they ever learn, that didn't work real well last time......etc, etc....
It's usually disappointing but when you post interviews it's always good........

Pandemonium

#52 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 am

mockbee wrote:Whenever you post here I hope to god it goes something like..................
Oh, that Jaz, doing all sorts of loopy things once again. Now he's got some US West Coast dates set for September. When will they ever learn, that didn't work real well last time......etc, etc....
It's usually disappointing but when you post interviews it's always good........
Unfortunately, the possibility of Killing Joke ever playing the US again look very slim.

jptm

#53 Post by jptm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:00 am

mockbee

#54 Post by mockbee » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 am

"Meanwhile we are doing everything we can to make this tour happen and locate our missing singer."

I hope he is okay........ :scared:

Man, the more I think about it, it must have been just a freak of nature that I was actually able to see them a couple years ago....

Thank GOD for that!!!!!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

jptm wrote:.....AND now Jaz is AWOL.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=177510
Yeah, this isn't good news no matter how it turns out.

Probably the most positive spin that can be put on this is that Jaz is simply embarrassed he mouthed off about how he felt and that *he* wanted the tour cancelled w/The Cult and is just playing hard to get with the rest of the band and manegment - something which further illustrates how there's always been a tough relationship between the other guys and Jaz, especially when it comes to band business dealings. On the other end of the spectrum, I am reminded of a very similar situation w/Stuart Adamson and Big Country over a decade ago resulting in Stuart being found dead in a hotel room where he'd hanged himself due to clinical depression.

mockbee

#56 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:10 am

Jaz Coleman, alive and kicking in the Western Sahara

To the relief of family and friends, Killing Joke Frontman Jaz Coleman appeared today from his retreat in the Western Sahara bemused by all the fuss of his disappearance. “I’ve been finishing my book and writing the score for my new project – (The Nirvana Symphonic) – (laughs), what’s all the fuss about then?”

Coleman had apparently been living a nomadic existence for the last month in the desert in order to concentrate on finishing his two current projects. Nirvana looks like becoming a TV show and a concert in Seattle in 2013 and the book and an exclusive Coleman album will be packaged together and available for order as early as next week.

International media picked up on the story last week, sending it global, from the press release announced by the band on the Killing Joke Official Facebook site questioning his whereabouts. Fans from around the world have been more than proactive in their opinions - from random sightings in Christchurch New Zealand, to past recollections of his elusive behaviors in Iceland.

Yet mystery still surrounds the message on Facebook regarding The Cult and The Mission Shows of which Coleman claims no knowledge. 'Looks like this has caused a right ding dong and feel its impossible to continue this tour under the circumstances'. His comments were to wish both The Cult and The Mission the best of luck on the tour, and to find out who has been impersonating him.

Apparently is wasn't even *his* fault for the comments regarding The Cult............ :lolol:

What a weirdo.................... I love it. :hehe: :agree:

mockbee

#57 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:12 am

Oh......... And Seattle 2013!

Not that I'd bank on it but, hey, a plan or notion is better than nothing!!!!!!!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Pandemonium

#58 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

That whole press release/facebook posting reads like utter bullshit. "Imposter...." gimme a break. Glad to hear Jaz is ok, but this comes off as basically "the dog ate my homework, it's not my fault."

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:06 am

I guess the world doesn't end in 2012 after all....

From K.J.'s official facebook page
There will be two album releases next year and a very small run of headline shows to coincide with the release of the first album. Details of the album to follow Later in the year.

(MMXVII) finally gets its US release in November through Universal Records. Apologies it's taken forever but we were trying to get some US dates in around the release but simply ran out of time.

Limited US tour dates will however be scheduled around the release of above mentioned album in March April sort of time 2013

KJ 2012

mockbee

#60 Post by mockbee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
From K.J.'s official facebook page

Limited US tour dates will however be scheduled around the release of above mentioned album in March April sort of time 2013

KJ 2012
Hell yeah!
:rockon:

And two albums, WOW!

The last two were excellent.

This is really good news.....

Pandemonium

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

From the KJ facebook Page:

"Within the next two weeks we will announce dates in the Usa, UK, Holland, France, Australia, NZ and possible Singapore.
Jaz will also be launching his book and symphony album double package on Monday or Tuesday. Both are 100% complete and we will send some sample chapters and music out in one way or another at the same time.
Youth will also launch his KJ in dub project the same week."

++++++++

Jaz has already released info on ordering his "Letters from Cythera/The Island symphony" off The Pledgemusic website which is likely one of the two "new albums" they're releasing in 2013.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/jazcoleman

Interesting that there's no mention of a true KJ studio album, hopefully the 2nd album isn't Youth's "Killing Joke In Dub Remixes." At least they appear serious about playing some US dates in the Spring.

mockbee

#62 Post by mockbee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am

Pandemonium wrote: At least they appear serious about playing some US dates in the Spring.

Best music news of the year. (outside of the release of MMXII) :rockon:

Here's to hoping they follow through............ :thumb:

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm

And it looks like 2013 is going to be a busy year for the band. First, we have tour dates, included North America:

March
Fri 15th UK Hammerfest, Wales
Sat 16th UK Forum, London
Mon 18th Belgium Trix, Antwerp
Wed 20th France Bataclan, Paris

April
Fri 19th US Irving Plaza, New York NY
Tue 23rd Can Cafe Campus, Montreal PQ
Wed 24th Can Lee’s Palace, Toronto ONT
Fri 26th US Empty Bottle, Chicago IL
Sat 27th US Empty Bottle, Chicago IL
Tue 30th US Neumos, Seattle WA

May
Wed 1st US Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver, BC
Fri 3rd US Fillmore, San Francisco, CA
Sat 4th US Brick By Brick , San Diego, CA
Sun 5th US Henry Fonda aka Music Box, Los Angeles CA (finally an ideal venue in LA for these guys)

Also, they are releasing several collections and possibly a new studio album at the end of the year. First up is the 3 cd collection of all their singles and the 3rd disc will have rarities and unreleased songs due out April 15th.

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm

:lol: you get the last show of the tour. you know that there is no way they make it through the whole thing.

mockbee

#65 Post by mockbee » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

May 3rd!

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!

And a new album, this should be good....

shut up creep! :hehe: