Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
mockbee

Re: Killing Joke

#121 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am

Pandemonium wrote:US tour confirmed for early 2016 starting in early Feb. Opening band most shows will be Soft Moon. All typical small theater size venues with tickets around $25.

:banana:

Jan 14 Terminal West Atlanta, GA RSVP
Jan 15 The Orpheum Ybor City, FL RSVP
Jan 16 Gramps Miami, FL RSVP
Jan 18 Republic New Orleans, LA RSVP
Jan 19 Fitzgeralds Houston, TX RSVP
Jan 21 Granada Theatre Dallas, TX RSVP
Jan 22 The Parish Austin, TX RSVP
Jan 23 Tricky Falls El Paso, TX RSVP
Jan 25 Crescent Ballroom Phoenix, AZ RSVP
Jan 26 Belly Up Solana Beach, CA RSVP
Jan 28 Regent Theatre Los Angeles, CA RSVP
Jan 30 The Fillmore San Francisco, CA RSVP :aoa:
Jan 31 Star Theatre Portland, OR RSVP
Feb 02 Venue Vancouver, Canada RSVP
Feb 03 Neumo's Seattle, WA RSVP
Feb 05 Liquid Joe's Salt Lake City, UT RSVP
Feb 06 Marquis Theatre Denver, CO RSVP
Feb 08 Amsterdam Hall St Paul, MN RSVP
Feb 09 Thalia Hall Chicago, IL RSVP
Feb 10 Skully's Music Diner Columbus, OH RSVP
Feb 11 Lee's Palace Toronto, Canada RSVP
Feb 13 Irving Plaza New York, NY RSVP
Feb 16 Union Transfer Philadelphia, PA RSVP
Feb 17 Altar Bar Pittsburgh, PA RSVP
Feb 19 Fete Providence, RI RSVP
Feb 20 Ottobar Baltimore, MD RSVP
Feb 21 The Broadberry Richmond, VA

:rockon:

but when Iooked up "killing joke tour 2016", google filled it in "killing joke tour cancelled....." :lolol: :scared:

Pandemonium

#122 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am

Pandemonium

#123 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:51 am

mockbee wrote:but when Iooked up "killing joke tour 2016", google filled it in "killing joke tour cancelled....." :lolol: :scared:
Heh, it's always a 50/50 chance of that happening with these guys especially considering they're touring during the dead of Winter, especially on the East Coast.

Very happy California and notably LA is in the middle of the tour with a day’s prior break and not the final stop on the tour (when the band are usually burned out) as has been the case on most previous US tours. Also interesting they are playing the intimate (and GA) Regent Theater which is literally right around the corner from Skid Row in downtown LA.

Regarding the set, hopefully a good slice of the new album plus more cuts from MMXII (they only played Corporate Elect on the last US tour) and the dumping of "Asteroid" in favor of ....just about anything else in their vast catalog.

kv

#124 Post by kv » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Wow the regent still exists? Thought that place was gone

nausearockpig

#125 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Every time I see this topic I think of this...

Pandemonium

#126 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:23 pm

The album minus the 2nd cd's worth of bonus tracks has leaked on the usual places.

Pandemonium

#127 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Pandemonium wrote:The album minus the 2nd cd's worth of bonus tracks has leaked on the usual places.
The link and download are good n' virus free:

http://www91.zippyshare.com/v/oMecbCO2/file.html

mockbee

#128 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Pandemonium wrote:The album minus the 2nd cd's worth of bonus tracks has leaked on the usual places.
yea, was listening to this yesterday and today. Not sure what I think yet. I like Autonomous Zone and Euphoria and most of the first half of the album, don't know if it will stick yet. The mix/production seems good though.... :noclue:

Pandemonium

#129 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:47 pm

After a weekend's worth of listening, I am thus far not as taken by Pylon as I was the last two albums, both of which hit me instantly upon first listens. It is growing on me, but I find myself gravitating to a few individual songs versus the entire album.

That said, Autonomous Zone kicks ass and is the best opening song for a KJ album since "The Death And Resurrection Show" on the '03 comeback album. The drum break and the two note bass slap is just icing on the cake. New Jerusalem and I Am The Virus are the other highlights and I hope all three songs feature regularly in the tour.

New Cold War and moreso, Euphoria are like harder versions of European Superstate. Almost perversely, New Cold War and War On Freedom (minus Jaz' vox) sounds like they came from a mid 80's Judas Priest album (Screaming For Vengeance). I prefer Geordie's original demo (see vid below) of "Big Buzz" over the finished song. Dawn Of The Hive and especially Delete sounds like a Hosannas out-take minus the usually distinctive Geordie guitar sound.

What I don't care for on this album is the production, especially regarding Jaz's vocals - most of the time it sounds like he's singing in a racquetball court there's so much reverb and echo that it's often impossible to decipher the lyrics. A lot of fans used to rag on how poorly Hosannas was recorded and produced but I actually think it sounds better than this album from a production standpoint. I think whatever songs they chose to perform live off Pylon are going to sound much better than the studio versions (as the Summer festival performance of Autonomous Zone shows), especially because Geordie's distinct tone will be far more prominent and Big Paul's drumming will have a lot less sonic mush to cut through.

Like the worst fanboy though, I'm already in for the deluxe CD and the two different vinyl versions via their Pledge Music site regardless of how I wind up liking this album.

Pandemonium

#130 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm

I got the double CD today via Amazon, don't know when the black and deluxe colored vinyl lps will arrive via Pledge but the CD sounds better (obviously) than the lossy MP3 leak. My comments still stand on the overall production - it mostly just doesn't really cut through especially like Absolute Dissent did but at least it's not brickwalled as badly as that album or MMXII was. Still, cranking it on my main system was a fun afternoon's worth of listening and I'm liking this one more and more with repeated listens.

A couple things I'll add - several of the "bonus" tracks on the second CD are a lot better than what's on the main album, notably "Panopticon" which has some great, often sardonically funny lyrics. Also, in typical FUBAR Killing Joke fashion, they didn't include lyrics either on the CD booket or the Pledge site (unless they're on the LP releases) but say they can be found on the album website (kjpylon.com) which isn't up and running.

All said, this album sits comfortably with the previous two studio albums and it's really remarkable the band is putting out some of their best and certainly most consistent music this late in the game.

Finally, they did an in-store signing and performance at the HMV store in London tonight and the short set was:

The Wait
Autonomous Zone
Euphoria
Dawn Of The Hive
Pssyche

Pandemonium

#131 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Dawn Of The Hive from the HMV appearance:

mockbee

#132 Post by mockbee » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Have you bought your LA ticket yet?

I don't imagine it selling out but I suppose it's not that much of a hassle if they cancel the tour. :noclue:

Good to hear the final cut has better sound, I am liking the album pretty well.

Pandemonium

#133 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:48 pm

mockbee wrote:Have you bought your LA ticket yet?

I don't imagine it selling out but I suppose it's not that much of a hassle if they cancel the tour. :noclue:

Good to hear the final cut has better sound, I am liking the album pretty well.
Yeah, I bought my tix for the LA show and may go to the San Diego show as well (that's going to be a week of show decision). Fingers crossed they get through the tour without issues.

They have shuffled a couple dates - I guess they dropped the Houston show for a date in San Antonio and added a date in Columbus, Ohio on 2/10 at a classy sounding joint called "Skully's Music Diner."

Another thing - their keyboard player, Reza will again be offering soundboard "official bootlegs" CD-Rs at the merch table probably at later shows in the tour and again via eBay at some point. I've picked up a few from him from the MMXII tour and the US "Best Of" 2013 tour and they're pretty good.

mockbee

#134 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Got my hands on the FLAC b-sides for Pylon......... these are blowing my mind.

First time through and I am just floored, this is so fantastic!
Pylon may be the best of the trio, only time will tell though.

mockbee

#135 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
A couple things I'll add - several of the "bonus" tracks on the second CD are a lot better than what's on the main album, notably "Panopticon" which has some great, often sardonically funny lyrics. Also, in typical FUBAR Killing Joke fashion, they didn't include lyrics either on the CD booket or the Pledge site (unless they're on the LP releases) but say they can be found on the album website (kjpylon.com) which isn't up and running.

Did you find a source for the lyrics? I can't find anything online.

Pandemonium

#136 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:33 pm

mockbee wrote:
Did you find a source for the lyrics? I can't find anything online.
No luck. I got the deluxe colored vinyl version from Pledge yesterday and there's no lyrics in the gatefold jacket and the "JKPYLON" website is still dead. BTW the regular version of Snakedance is excellent.

Pandemonium

#137 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 am

This is great. Jaz rants about the usual stuff, culminates in the cue to start "Exorcism" (the song) and Geordie reminds him they've already played it and the next song is supposed to be "I Am The Virus." Laughter ensues:

Artemis

#138 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Looks like the tour is cancelled.

I saw this on the Lee's Palace Facebook page today.
Unfortunately, Killing Joke: Official have cancelled their tour, including the Feb 11 show at Lee's Palace. Refunds are available at point of purchase.
"Dear Gatherers and friends, it is with great sadness and regret due to some health issues for one of the band we will not be able to embark on our 2016 U.S. Tour. This has come as a shock to us all, please give us the time to work this out and we hope to return to touring as soon as possible."

Pandemonium

#139 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Artemis wrote:Looks like the tour is cancelled.

I saw this on the Lee's Palace Facebook page today.
Unfortunately, Killing Joke: Official have cancelled their tour, including the Feb 11 show at Lee's Palace. Refunds are available at point of purchase.
"Dear Gatherers and friends, it is with great sadness and regret due to some health issues for one of the band we will not be able to embark on our 2016 U.S. Tour. This has come as a shock to us all, please give us the time to work this out and we hope to return to touring as soon as possible."
Yep. Just got notification that the LA date is cancelled. Fuck. Hopefully whoever is "ill" gets better. Maybe they just realized that touring via bus through the US in the dead of Winter isn't exactly the brightest thing for a group of aging men to be going at this point.

mockbee

#140 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Well that just sucks..... :mad: At least I have seen them twice already, so would have just been nice to hear some new material.

MYXYLPLYX

#141 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 pm

:sad:

I had just booked to work the gig less than a week ago...

Pandemonium

#142 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

The Death And Resurrection Show documentary is finally up for pre-order on the website. Lots of extras, should be good. Only downside is .... this is Killing Joke where you're taking a risk pre-ordering anything connected with these guy.

http://killingjokemovie.com/

Pandemonium

#143 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Yay, a round of 2016 dates possibly including some for the US in the Fall!

30/10 Dublin (Academy)
31/10 Belfast (Limelight)
01/11 Bologna (Zona Roveri)
04/11 London (Brixton Academy)
06/11 Karlsruhe (Substage)
08/11 Utrecht (Tivoli Vredenburg)
09/11 Paris (Elysée Montmartre)
19/11 Munich (Theaterfabrik)
20/11 Prague (Palac Akropolis)
23/11 Hamburg (Factory)
24/11 Copenhagen (Pumpehuset)
30/11 Oslo (Rockefeller)
03/12 Cologne (Canteen)
04/12 Berlin (S.O. 36)
05/12 Hasselt, Belgium (Muziekodroom)
11/12 Los Angeles USA (Regent Theater) *unconfirmed
13/12 San Francisco USA (Fillmore) *unconfirmed

Of course, the odds of some or all the shows being cancelled a month before this tour starts because someone's grandmother is sick remain at better than even.....

mockbee

#144 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Might be the first time I regret leaving sf. :cool:

Seems there would be more US dates added if it actually happens.

Well, it's a start anyways. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#145 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 pm

mockbee wrote:Might be the first time I regret leaving sf. :cool:

Seems there would be more US dates added if it actually happens.

Well, it's a start anyways. :noclue:
I can't imagine them playing only 2 shows in the US, especially just on the West Coast.

There is questions about this tour already coming up, one being Jaz has repeatedly said earlier this year that they were going to play Australia and NZ in November but more importantly, their long time keybaord player Reza and his own band Inertia has a extensive US tour booked for November here in the US while KJ would be playing Europe. They've played with a substitute drummer and a roadie filling in for Youth on bass on various dates the last few tours, so I guess it's not unheard of they'd bring in a sub for keys but it seems like one of those cases where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.