Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Killing Joke

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

From the KJ facebook Page:

"Within the next two weeks we will announce dates in the Usa, UK, Holland, France, Australia, NZ and possible Singapore.
Jaz will also be launching his book and symphony album double package on Monday or Tuesday. Both are 100% complete and we will send some sample chapters and music out in one way or another at the same time.
Youth will also launch his KJ in dub project the same week."

++++++++

Jaz has already released info on ordering his "Letters from Cythera/The Island symphony" off The Pledgemusic website which is likely one of the two "new albums" they're releasing in 2013.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/jazcoleman

Interesting that there's no mention of a true KJ studio album, hopefully the 2nd album isn't Youth's "Killing Joke In Dub Remixes." At least they appear serious about playing some US dates in the Spring.

mockbee

#62 Post by mockbee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am

Pandemonium wrote: At least they appear serious about playing some US dates in the Spring.

Best music news of the year. (outside of the release of MMXII) :rockon:

Here's to hoping they follow through............ :thumb:

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm

And it looks like 2013 is going to be a busy year for the band. First, we have tour dates, included North America:

March
Fri 15th UK Hammerfest, Wales
Sat 16th UK Forum, London
Mon 18th Belgium Trix, Antwerp
Wed 20th France Bataclan, Paris

April
Fri 19th US Irving Plaza, New York NY
Tue 23rd Can Cafe Campus, Montreal PQ
Wed 24th Can Lee’s Palace, Toronto ONT
Fri 26th US Empty Bottle, Chicago IL
Sat 27th US Empty Bottle, Chicago IL
Tue 30th US Neumos, Seattle WA

May
Wed 1st US Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver, BC
Fri 3rd US Fillmore, San Francisco, CA
Sat 4th US Brick By Brick , San Diego, CA
Sun 5th US Henry Fonda aka Music Box, Los Angeles CA (finally an ideal venue in LA for these guys)

Also, they are releasing several collections and possibly a new studio album at the end of the year. First up is the 3 cd collection of all their singles and the 3rd disc will have rarities and unreleased songs due out April 15th.

creep
Site Admin

#64 Post by creep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm

:lol: you get the last show of the tour. you know that there is no way they make it through the whole thing.

mockbee

#65 Post by mockbee » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

May 3rd!

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!

And a new album, this should be good....

shut up creep! :hehe:

Pandemonium

#66 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:00 pm

creep wrote::lol: you get the last show of the tour. you know that there is no way they make it through the whole thing.
Not to mention it's the 5th show in 6 days. They were pretty fried doing almost the exact same schedule when they made it to LA on the last US tour in 2010. And knowing these fuckers, it's even odds they postpone or cancel this run of shows before Spring comes. Still, I'm in like Charlie Brown waiting for Lucy to pull the football one more time.

Pandemonium

#67 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 am

Really outstanding 2 hour interview/radio show with Jaz Coleman where he plays influential tracks and shares scores of hilarious stories especially about early 80's punk bands like Discharge and The Mentors:

http://13thfloor.co.nz/2013/01/01/jaz-c ... programme/

guysmiley

#68 Post by guysmiley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Thank you! :rockon:

mockbee

#69 Post by mockbee » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Killing Joke

On Sale

Sun, 01/20/13 10:00am

The Fillmore
San Francisco
Fri, 05/03/13 9:00pm

:banana:

mockbee

#70 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm

:worship:
:mediate:

Pandemonium

#71 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

They played a warm-up gig last night ina small club in Corby, UK. The setlist was:

1 Turn To Red
2 Wardance
3 Requiem
4 Tension
5 European Super State
6 Follow The Leaders
7 Love Like Blood
8 The Beautiful Dead (!)
9 This World Hell
10 Empire Song
11 Chop Chop
12 Sun Goes Down
13 Eighties
14 Corporate Elect
15 Money Is Not Our God (!)
16 Whiteout
17 Asteroid
18 The Wait
19 Pandemonium
Encore
20 The Great Cull
*Change
*Bloodsport
*The Death And Resurrection Show
21 Pssyche

* = not played but on setlist

Pandemonium

#72 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

From the show:

Pandemonium

#73 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Stream of one of the previously unreleased songs recorded during the sessions for the reunion album "Absolute Dissent" called Timewave. Not one of their better tracks.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... -timewave/

This song and others will appear on the "rarities" disc included with the deluxe version of the Singles compilation due out in early May.

Pandemonium

#74 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:51 am

They continue to be prolific. Here's snippets of apparently new song demos:

mockbee

#75 Post by mockbee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:16 pm

HELLO CHICAGO - we roll in today as part of our US tour. Thank you to all those Gatherers already making this so incredible, and to all those on the WEST COAST... WE'RE COMING YOUR WAY over the coming weeks. Some tickets are still available if you've not grabbed yours yet, and we'll see you very, very soon. Regards.

:bday: :banana: 7 days and counting...... :lostit:

Those new riffs sound good, maybe generic, but I thought that about the last album before it came out, and it was excellent!

Pandemonium

#76 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm

mockbee wrote: :bday: :banana: 7 days and counting...... :lostit:

Those new riffs sound good, maybe generic, but I thought that about the last album before it came out, and it was excellent!
Which show are you going to?

BTW, here's two previously unheard tracks off the Rarities cd:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/04 ... f-the-sun/

Pandemonium

#77 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 pm

It never fails with this band......

Apparently drummer Big Paul Ferguson has missed the Toronto 4/23 and tonight's Chicago shows. Jaz may have blown out his voice too. Here's a quick account from someone who saw tonight's show:

"Well. I don't know what I just saw.

And this is coming from someone who witnessed the infamous milwaukee show in 2003.

To their credit, they picked it up at the end. New drummer was ok but struggled at times. They tried to forego the encore and just go straight into "change" after "pandemonium" but youth walked off stage after geordie started. They eventually returned for two songs.

If its any consolation, jaz has lost his voice as well. I haven't heard him quack like this since 94. And he's got two more shows tomorrow."

I'm once again almost afraid to see what's in store for LA next weekend.

T.B.

mockbee

#78 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am

Going to the Fillmore - SF.

great. :hs: :neutral:

Pandemonium

#79 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 am

Got word this morning Big Paul is scheduled to be back with the band the last 3 shows of the US leg next week so we're good. Apparently, he had some "personal issues" that he needed to take care of. The guy currently subbing is Jason Bowld as seen in this clip for a show he subbed in last year. Love the wildly flailing arms during the heavy parts of the song:

http://www.jasonbowld.com/biog.html

mockbee

Killing Joke

#80 Post by mockbee » Sat May 04, 2013 11:26 am

the show last night was great! :nod: Fillmore did not disappoint. There were a lot more people there than the regency show a couple years ago. Jaz's voice was really good. I think it helped to have a day off. The crowd was really into it as well. People were rocking out, obviously having a good time, all the way back to the soundboard by the middle/end of the show. Seemed to be mostly all old school fans, age 50+, anybody under 30 seemed to be somebody's kid or definitely a minority of people under 40. It was cool and cute at the same time to see a bunch of old original punks rocking out. I couldn't give you a full setlist, they played for over an hour and a half and I think the band thought they were done, but Youth coaxed them back to end with Bloodsport. Youth seemed to be pretty excited, expecting there to be loads of pot available being sf and all and made several requests to the audience. All he got was pelted with a bunch of unlit joints, which he seemed to be a little miffed about. :lol:
Hopefully they finish out strong.

Pandemonium

#81 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 04, 2013 3:16 pm

mockbee wrote:the show last night was great! :nod: Fillmore did not disappoint. There were a lot more people there than the regency show a couple years ago. Jaz's voice was really good. I think it helped to have a day off. The crowd was really into it as well. People were rocking out, obviously having a good time, all the way back to the soundboard by the middle/end of the show. Seemed to be mostly all old school fans, age 50+, anybody under 30 seemed to be somebody's kid or definitely a minority of people under 40. It was cool and cute at the same time to see a bunch of old original punks rocking out. I couldn't give you a full setlist, they played for over an hour and a half and I think the band thought they were done, but Youth coaxed them back to end with Bloodsport. Youth seemed to be pretty excited, expecting there to be loads of pot available being sf and all and made several requests to the audience. All he got was pelted with a bunch of unlit joints, which he seemed to be a little miffed about. :lol:
Hopefully they finish out strong.
Did they play Sun Goes Down and The Death and Resurrection Show? And most importantly, was Big Paul back behind the drum kit?

mockbee

#82 Post by mockbee » Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 pm

They played Sun Goes Down and D+RS (which was excellent, maybe highlight of the show. :bigrin: ) Also played Money is Not Our God and and i'm pretty sure, Beautiful Dead and many of the songs from the warmup setlist earlier in the thread, also extra Madness earlier in the set that really got people going. And Big Paul was behind the kit, he was awesome on Sun Goes Down.... :cool:

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 pm

mockbee wrote:They played Sun Goes Down and D+RS (which was excellent, maybe highlight of the show. :bigrin: ) Also played Money is Not Our God and and i'm pretty sure, Beautiful Dead and many of the songs from the warmup setlist earlier in the thread, also extra Madness earlier in the set that really got people going. And Big Paul was behind the kit, he was awesome on Sun Goes Down.... :cool:
Sounds excellent. Tomorrow night can't get here soon enough,

Pandemonium

#84 Post by Pandemonium » Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 am

For all the reports of inconsistent gigs on the North American leg this tour and drummer Big Paul missing a couple week's worth of shows, I am supremely happy to report tonight’s show at The Fonda in LA was excellent, probably the best show I've seen them do, period.

The opening band Czar was predictably terrible, a 3rd rate Lamb Of God downtuned cookie monster vox style band that was only surprising in demonstrating how loud and bottom-end heavy the Fonda’s excellent and loud as fuck sound system was. Killing Joke came on at about 10:20 opening with Requiem and right away I was impressed with the sound, by far sonically the best I’ve ever heard this band sound with a solid, tight low end yet Geordie’s guitar right up there in the mix. The band seemed in excellent spirits and even persistent monitor and amp mic problems with Geordies rig didn’t slow the band down at all. Jaz’ vox were strong the entire show and Youth was especially animated the entire night. And I can’t imagine seeing a show with someone subbing for Big Paul – he is so impressive every show I’ve seen him with the band.

We pretty much got every song they’ve been playing the last two months (except Follow The Leaders and Bloodsport) including both Chop-Chop and Empire Song as well Corporate Elect and European Superstate (which sounded much better than the 2010 show I saw). We also got a 5 song encore prefaced with a mention of Raven’s passing leading into Love Like Blood as well as The Death And Resurrection Show. I really thought we might get one more song out of them after closer Pssyche. The pacing was perfect and probably the two biggest high points was the magnificent performance of Sun Goes Down (the look on Jaz’s face when he realized they nailed it by the end of the song was priceless) followed by a storming “Eighties” (they seem to play it faster every tour) and a great version of TDARS in the middle of the encore.

As lackluster both the band and audience was at the depressingly half-full Wiltern Theater at the end of 2010 the last time they played here, tonight at the much smaller and better suited Fonda Theater had much better energy from both the band and the audience, especially up front. They didn’t sell tickets to the balcony which was closed off but the floor was pretty packed.

mockbee

#85 Post by mockbee » Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Sounds great, I was similarly impressed. :thumb: