Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
mockbee

Re: Killing Joke

#181 Post by mockbee » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:03 pm

:cool:
:mediate:

I've been getting into the Malicious Damage release, oh wow.

This Lokerse Seeing Red performance seems even better than the release. :noclue:
So good.

Panda, did you see them on that tour? Was that the best that you have seen them, or what was the best tour you saw?

Pandemonium

#182 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 pm

mockbee wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:03 pm
I've been getting into the Malicious Damage release, oh wow.

This Lokerse Seeing Red performance seems even better than the release. :noclue:
So good.

Panda, did you see them on that tour? Was that the best that you have seen them, or what was the best tour you saw?
Yeah, I caught them on this tour at the El Rey Theater in Hollywood on Nov 14, 2003. It was one of the best shows I'd seen from them, in large part because I'd only seen them once before in the mid-80's and I was really excited to see them again after nearly 20 years and really digging the (then) new album.

The El Ray is a pretty intimate venue, holds maybe 800 people, all GA so it was the perfect place to see a band. I remember getting there a bit early before dusk and people just starting to file in just as the doors opened. Bassist Paul Raven in camo face paint and oversized hoodie was talking with people in line - dude looked like the unibomber. The opening band was Amen, a very briefly known punk/metal band that was mostly jeered by the KJ audience, especially after the final song in which the obnoxious singer tried to climb the lighting rig and fell a whole 5 feet down on the stage, literally crying that he had broken his arm.

Killing Joke's set was pretty much identical to the set in the Malicious Damage video. They had been playing "Loose Cannon" in the set but had dropped it and slotted in "Follow The Leaders" in it's place by the time I saw them. One thing that really sticks in my head about the show was there was almost constant overwhelming hum/feedback from Geordie's guitar and rig the entire show. I was really tempted to go to a show in San Diego a day or two later but blew it off. It turned out only about 20 people showed up for that show and reportedly Jaz was either sick or fucked up and put on a really poor performance. I think they fired their drummer after that show when he didn't make the flight to a few following dates in Australia.

Probably my favorite Killing Joke show of the bunch I've seen to present day is the 2008 Hollywood House Of Blues show which was part of the original lineup reunion tour.

mockbee

#183 Post by mockbee » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am

I can totally understand the hit or miss quality for this band...... but this tour, (THIS SHOW!), I don't know if its just the mix or what, but the sound from paul, raven, geordie, jaz just command attention each as distinct tracks....... my god..... :rockon: :bday:

Total Invasion is phenomenal, along with the rest of the 2003 KJ release songs. :cool:

If I am remembering right, they seemed to drop a lot of those songs on later tours, just keeping Asteroid and the D&R Show and just went heavy on their first album, I wonder why they did that..... :no:

Pandemonium

#184 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:09 am

Got the 10 inch vinyl of KJ÷93 this week. This is from a several day recording session back in 1993 of Jaz, Geordie and Joy Divisions' Peter Hook.

The 3 songs are decent, basically guitar, bass, synth and vox with some laid back percussion/drums w/no credit who’s playing but it could just be sampled drums. Music is mostly mellow, with a middle eastern bent much like “Jana” etc. Geordie’s tone is almost unrecognizable - tasteful rhythm mostly without the Geordie crunch. Peter Hook’s chorus-y bass is the most recognizable thing about these tracks. Jaz’ vox alternate between soft and early cookie monster on the same track. Basically a better take of the kind of music from 1987's "Outside The Gate" which was essentially a Coleman solo album. More interesting then memorable.

Someone put the songs on YouTube, I imagine they’ll be pulled soon…..

mockbee

#185 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks for posting.... like you said, it's curious to hear but not exciting, but not bad.

Speaking of Peter Hook, I found Joy Division and Killing Joke history really interesting....great story/photos here:

mockbee

#186 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:02 am

Here's a video, looks like Jaz commissioned, for the Remembrance Day track, focusing on the fallout from COVID.

Could be seen as a little hokey or patronizing, but I appreciate the humanitarian bent he takes here.
Also he acknowledges raven and ian; and his uncle who died due to complications from COVID. And he throws in some classic jaz social commentary at the beginning and end.... :wink:

Pandemonium

#187 Post by Pandemonium » Mon May 31, 2021 10:59 am

Jaz has been living in Mexico the past year and a half and last week posted a video of a fishing trip in which he took a backwards header off the boat and somehow was seriously injured.

https://www.facebook.com/10004459539214 ... 3456221489

mockbee

#188 Post by mockbee » Mon May 31, 2021 1:22 pm

He didn't look good before the plunge. Sounds like he hit his head or something.

:wavesad:

Pandemonium

#189 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:54 am

Apparently days after Jaz took his header off the fishing boat last Summer in Mexico, he suffered a severe diabetic crash which was misdiagnosed as type II when it was later diagnosed as type I after he was transported to the UK. Type 1 is really difficult to deal with on a daily basis, much moreso then type 2. On a more positive note, it sounds like Killing Joke is recording an EP for release next Spring.

https://jazcoleman.com/deep-gratitude-and-love/

Pandemonium

#190 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 am

New Killing Joke tune, "Lord Of Chaos" from the upcoming EP.

This song leaves me cold. Production is muddy, Jaz’s vocals are buried in the mix, the band sounds anonymous and flat. It’s like a watered down version of “I Am The Virus." My guess it's an out-take from the last album "Pylon." Hope the other new song “Total” is better. Whining aside, it's good that they're still active - they have a pretty full UK tour this Spring and are finally going to record another full studio album as well as a live video of the Hammersmith show.

mockbee

#191 Post by mockbee » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Yea, rather paint by numbers track from KJ there.
Hopefully more inspired stuff to come.

They seem to release some duds before there last several good EPs though. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#192 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:38 pm

Another song off the new EP:

Better then "Lord Of Chaos" but still a bit generic for my tastes.

Pandemonium

#193 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:37 am

Perhaps the weirdest pairing of musicians, actor and cover choice - Johnny Depp, Jeff Beck, Prince's former bassist and band covering Killing Joke's Death And Resurrection Show:

Interesting version but lacks the energy and fire of the original.

Pandemonium

#194 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:41 pm

I paid the whole $12.50US and watched the live stream. Show was in a very small, intimate club. Well worth it, excellent audio and very nicely filmed. I assume this was a dress rehearsal for the video crew who will be filming the Royal Albert Hall show on Sunday for a likely home video release. Only issue was during “Wardance” through the first minute of “Tomorrow’s World” the video looked like it was suffering from a bad cable connection and the audio wasn’t always in sync. Great shots of Big Paul. Not enough of Geordie although he sounded great. Jaz had a knot in his hair making him look like Gene Simmons. Set was essentially the first two albums and Change, Are You Receiving, Turn To Red and Pssyche for the encore.

Live Stream Link good 'til Monday:
https://platform.liveherenow.co.uk/even ... pify_email

Also, they surprised fans today by releasing a new single although it has that kind of same-y vibe that the last single and most of Pylon had.