Top Gun

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
LJF

Top Gun

#1 Post by LJF » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Just surfing the channels because nothing is on and I found Top Gun. It's been a long time since I've seen this. Reminds me of high school. The movie is so bad it is good. The acting and dialogue is awful. It does bring back good memories of a fun night with an ex girlfriend.

So thoughts on this movie and any good or bad memories.

Matz

Re: Top Gun

#2 Post by Matz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm

when I was in my early teens I watched it tons of times. As a result I still know a lot of the dialogue in it even though I haven't watched it in many years. In fact I can say that about quite a few b movies. Fx Harley Davidson and the marlboro man and Karate kid. :sad:

'That's right Ice, I am dangerous!'
So glad my brain keeps storing all this useful information

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

I've actually never seen Top Gun. No real reason, but like a number of (in)famous major studio films, I just haven't watched it.

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 am

Titanic is pretty good also

LJF

#5 Post by LJF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 am

Pandemonium wrote:I've actually never seen Top Gun. No real reason, but like a number of (in)famous major studio films, I just haven't watched it.
If you live in the US how is that possible, it is played on tv all the time. That and point break, which is another awful but great movie.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:18 am

i saw top gun once and found it to be entertaining. better than i thought it would be. i saw it together with another tom cruise movie - days of thunder. my friend was really into tom cruise and had a tom cruise movie night. :lol:

Warped

#7 Post by Warped » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 am

Watched it once and thought it was okay. As Artemis said better than expected.
Never was into Tom Cruise but i enjoyed him and Nicole in "Eyes wide shut". :hehe:

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 am

Favorite scenes: Volleyball game (Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise topless)
The sex scene with Kelly McGillis because I actually liked the song :lol: (Take My Breath Away)
Least favorite scene: When Goose dies :sad:

When I was a kid I used to love to watch The Goonies and as a teenager it had to be Beatle Juice and The Breakfast Club. Or Ferris Bueller Day Off/Weird Science

MYXYLPLYX

#9 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 am

I think it's far more entertaining when watched as a story about gays in the military... :nod: :lolol:

Bandit72

#10 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 am

Best Tom Cruise film is Cocktail and that's because Bryan Brown is in it. FACT.

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 am

I'd never watch another Tom Cruise movie. Last I saw was The War of the Worlds and I regret it.

LJF

#12 Post by LJF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:I think it's far more entertaining when watched as a story about gays in the military... :nod: :lolol:

that's fucking great.

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Best Tom Cruise film is Cocktail and that's because Bryan Brown is in it. FACT.
right, cool guy

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'd never watch another Tom Cruise movie. Last I saw was The War of the Worlds and I regret it.
Wow - I never gave it any thought but I've also never seen Cocktail, Point Break or Days Of Thunder....

But I have seen War Of The Worlds many times (I have the Blu-ray) because there's a few parts of the movie I *really* like that are centered around the War Machine spfx. On the other hand, there's big chunks of that movie I just FF through, most that involve the fingernails-on-chalkboard annoying kids.

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm

you should watch Point Break, excellent movie

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Keanu Reeves looked pretty good in Point Break.

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'd never watch another Tom Cruise movie. Last I saw was The War of the Worlds and I regret it.
I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan either, but I have to say he was fantastic in Magnolia.

MYXYLPLYX

#18 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

But I have seen War Of The Worlds many times (I have the Blu-ray) because there's a few parts of the movie I *really* like that are centered around the War Machine spfx.
Ha! You are an AV nerd... :hehe:

The pod opening scene is legendary for its LFE. :nod:

It is definitely the reference scene for testing out a new sub. My sub is definitely next on my upgrade list. :banana:

LJF

#19 Post by LJF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Matz wrote:you should watch Point Break, excellent movie
Point break is a great movie. It has been on a lot recently and I always seem to catch it half way thru. I just need to buy the movie and watch straight thru. I was living in Ohio when this came out and I remember the theater going crazy when Keanu said he played for the buckeyes.

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Wow - I never gave it any thought but I've also never seen Cocktail, Point Break or Days Of Thunder....
You were not a chick in the late 80's early 90's, I saw all of them. I'm not that much into Tom Cruise these days
Did you see the Lost Boys? I have to say I did watch it not only for the guys, who am I kidding, I did, but it still scared me back then

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:59 pm

perkana wrote: Did you see the Lost Boys? I have to say I did watch it not only for the guys, who am I kidding, I did, but it still scared me back then
I think every girl watched it for the cute boys. :lol:
I did actually really like the movie.

LJF

#22 Post by LJF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:07 pm

perkana wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
You were not a chick in the late 80's early 90's, I saw all of them. I'm not that much into Tom Cruise these days
Did you see the Lost Boys? I have to say I did watch it not only for the guys, who am I kidding, I did, but it still scared me back then
So the question is, if you weren't a chick in the 80's & 90's, did that change in the 2000s. If so are you now into those movies?

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote: Ha! You are an AV nerd... :hehe:

The pod opening scene is legendary for its LFE. :nod:

It is definitely the reference scene for testing out a new sub. My sub is definitely next on my upgrade list. :banana:
Yeah, WotW, Cloverfield (both otherwise mediocre movies) and Nine Inch Nails - Besides You In Time are my go-to room shaker discs when I want some bass. This is my subwoofer for my home theater which I bought around 2003:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/psw650/

There's a lot better out there the past decade that dip into much lower frequencies but this tank more than does the job for me.

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

perkana wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
I have seen Lost Boys a few times. Of the few 1980's vampire movies I've seen that are "modern takes" on the subject, Near Dark is my favorite.

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

LJF wrote:
perkana wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
So the question is, if you weren't a chick in the 80's & 90's, did that change in the 2000s. If so are you now into those movies?
nope, I actually just watch Tom Cruise's movies just for his acting...I don't know what I saw in him back then.
I haven't seen those movies in a while...maybe if they showed them on tv. I haven't gotten nostalgic enough to buy them, the only ones I've bought are Clueless and Sixteen Candles