Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
kv

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1681 Post by kv » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Ya I hear ya

nausearockpig

#1682 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 pm

they introduced a sexual relationship between Batgirl and Batman in the animated adaption of The Killing Joke.. WHAT. THE. FUCK.... whyyyyyy..... to give her a fuller backstory as it turns out.. What a load of bullshit... It was done to either introduce a more controversial element to the movie, or simply to lengthen it. I get that The Killing Joke is pretty short - 48 pages I believe but adding that whole extra element to the relationships is just wrong... but whatever. It's comics, kids!

perkana

#1683 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:16 am

As a non comic book person, a comic book based movie has to have a good story, even if the story isn't that good, it has to have a clever dialogue. I'm not looking for one close to Macbeth. For example, for this movie for me, the most coherent character was Harley Quinn. I just didn't buy the rest. Will Smith was just being Will Smith.

nausearockpig

#1684 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 pm

perkana wrote:As a non comic book person, a comic book based movie has to have a good story, even if the story isn't that good, it has to have a clever dialogue. I'm not looking for one close to Macbeth. For example, for this movie for me, the most coherent character was Harley Quinn. I just didn't buy the rest. Will Smith was just being Will Smith.
I would agree regarding story & dialogue, just as they're important in any genre or style of movie.

My ongoing question or point of incredulity is a general one about the use, or lack thereof, of comic book back-stories/histories. I'll use Nolan's first Batman film - Batman Begins as an example. It shows BW training with the Ra's Al Ghul and his League of Assassins only, then goes on to the rest of the movie where Ra's is the main baddie. Given the training part of the movie was considerable in length, would it have been worse, the same or better for the overall setting up of the eventual Batman character if Nolan had chopped say two minutes from the whole Ra's bit at the beginning and had BW flashback (or dream-sequence lol or whatever) to show Ra's and the audience all the other masters of many disciplines that BW trained & studied under in his time to become the man that is Batman in the comics?

Nolan's interpretation of Batman simplifies the character to being a ninja only - which is only one facet of what Batman is. It does a disservice to the character, its legacy and the story. Same goes with Ledger's Joker wearing white make up. Joker has white skin. End of story. NO interpretation to this should be permitted.

It's like saying "Oh we're doing a story about Jesus, but instead of using nails to crucify him, we're just gonna tie him up there, cos you know, Christoper Nolan".... um... no...

Re Will Smith, my friend summed it up nicely. Why is Will Smith Deadshot "Deadshot has a daughter.... I have a daughter... I wanna be Deadshot!!!"

perkana

#1685 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 pm

nausearockpig wrote: Given the training part of the movie was considerable in length, would it have been worse, the same or better for the overall setting up of the eventual Batman character if Nolan had chopped say two minutes from the whole Ra's bit at the beginning and had BW flashback (or dream-sequence lol or whatever) to show Ra's and the audience all the other masters of many disciplines that BW trained & studied under in his time to become the man that is Batman in the comics?

Nolan's interpretation of Batman simplifies the character to being a ninja only - which is only one facet of what Batman is. It does a disservice to the character, its legacy and the story. Same goes with Ledger's Joker wearing white make up. Joker has white skin. End of story. NO interpretation to this should be permitted.

It's like saying "Oh we're doing a story about Jesus, but instead of using nails to crucify him, we're just gonna tie him up there, cos you know, Christoper Nolan".... um... no...
That's why I remarked that I'm not a comic book person. I don't know if Nolan is a comic book diehard fan, but that is his interpretation. Since I dig both Christian Bale and Liam Neeson, I didn't mind that at all :lol: My favorite Joker is Heath's. I know his is not the usual one but I prefer him, compared to Nicholson's. On that note Danny DeVito as the Penguin is another favorite, although the Penguin I compare others with is the one from the 60's tv series.
nausearockpig wrote:Re Will Smith, my friend summed it up nicely. Why is Will Smith Deadshot "Deadshot has a daughter.... I have a daughter... I wanna be Deadshot!!!"
Absolutely! :lolol:

nausearockpig

#1686 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Yeah I get that that movie is his interpretation of a story, but I don't see the point of him producing his interpretation - given that it's technically wrong based on the source material. I think storytellers should tell the story as it is but hey, it's not like WB is tapping me on the shoulder to make the definitive Batman movie..........

And before anyone says "oh why would they tell a story that's been told before?" - try telling new stories (that are canon, of course lol) and stop fucking rebooting every fucking franchise.... Rant over. For now.

perkana

#1687 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:45 am

I used to get annoyed about how GoT tv show started cutting characters out or using other characters or deleting my favorite stories. But you know what? I just let it go and now I enjoy it even more. I guess it's easier for me to overlook the changes in the comic book films. I'm a Chris Nolan fan so that helps :wink:
And I agree, no more reboots please!
The movie I'm really looking forward to is Valerian. I used to read those comic books when I was a kid. Psyched that Luc Besson is directing.

Artemis

#1688 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:05 pm

I want to see The Greasy Strangler. Looks weird.. :lol:

*NSFW* trailer

The Greasy Strangler is being billed as a "surreal, midnight-horror comedy" because for some reason "holy shit, what the hell is this?" isn't a genre yet.

Here's the skinny:

"The film follows Ronnie, a man who runs a Disco Walking tour along with his browbeaten son, Brayden. When a sexy, alluring woman comes to take the tour, it begins a competition between father and son for her attentions. It also signals the appearance of an oily, slimy inhuman maniac who stalks the streets at night and strangles the innocent, soon dubbed 'The Greasy Strangler.'"

So much to unpack. Watch the very NSFW trailer below, and keep an eye out for the film when it hits whatever theatre is crazy (brilliant enough) to stock it on October 7th.

Directed by Jim Hosking, THE GREASY STRANGLER is a surreal, midnight-horror comedy produced by Timpson Films (Turbo Kid, Deathgasm),

clickie

#1689 Post by clickie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Bad enough to be a strangler, but to be labelled a greasy strangler is even worse.

nausearockpig

#1690 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 am

hahahhahah

Pandemonium

#1691 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

I finally saw "Dead Man" last night. I *have* to get the Neil Young soundtrack now.

Artemis

#1692 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:59 pm

I saw The Girl on the Train last night and was bored through much of it. Near the mid point of the movie, most of the people in the theatre were talking- myself included! I didn't like any of the characters; terrible dialogue and pacing too. I've never read the book, so I do not know how it compares. I'm guessing pretty badly as the book was a bestseller. Emily Blunt's acting was good and Justin Theroux was nice to look at.

Hype

#1693 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:28 pm

I tried to watch Sausage Party... it was terrible. I couldn't finish it.

farrellgirl99

#1694 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Artemis wrote:I saw The Girl on the Train last night and was bored through much of it. Near the mid point of the movie, most of the people in the theatre were talking- myself included! I didn't like any of the characters; terrible dialogue and pacing too. I've never read the book, so I do not know how it compares. I'm guessing pretty badly as the book was a bestseller. Emily Blunt's acting was good and Justin Theroux was nice to look at.

justin theoroux is always nice to look at :love:

i didnt see the movie, but i HATED the book. almost couldnt get through it. also had terrible dialogue, pacing, plot, characters etc. not sure why it was so popular. gone girl had a bad ending but was far superior as a thriller. there was nothing thrilling about girl on a train

Pandemonium

#1695 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Hype wrote:I tried to watch Sausage Party... it was terrible. I couldn't finish it.
I just saw it tonight. My son thought it was the funniest thing he's ever seen. I felt like I needed to take a shower after sitting through it.

SR

#1696 Post by SR » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:54 am

How old is your son?

Pandemonium

#1697 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:46 pm

SR wrote:How old is your son?

chaos

#1698 Post by chaos » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:06 am

Artemis wrote:I saw The Girl on the Train last night and was bored through much of it. Near the mid point of the movie, most of the people in the theatre were talking- myself included! I didn't like any of the characters; terrible dialogue and pacing too.
The movie must be really bad if Canadians act like this in the theatre. :lol:

I would like to take this time, as November 8th approaches, to emphasize my admiration of the Canadian people as I gather my list of references. :wave: :scared: :drink:

SR

#1699 Post by SR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am

Me too; I need sponsors. :scared:

Hype

#1700 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:How old is your son?
At least one younger colleague of mine loved it. He kinda seems like a sausage some of the time, though, and I've never seen any evidence that he has a good sense of humour. Plus, he might have been high.

I can imagine people liking it for the same reason I loved The Waterboy. I didn't have years of movies behind me to compare it to. Doesn't mean I have to give it any credit. :lol:

nausearockpig

#1701 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:32 pm

saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople. New Zealand movie. Loved it.

perkana

#1702 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 pm

I thought I was over with the superheroes movies (I passed on the last Captain American movie), but Doctor Strange was way, way, way better than I expected. I knew British actors would have kicked ass, but seriously, even my dad liked it. I know no one on here thinks Benedict Cumberbatch is sexy, but besides that, I love his acting :love:

blackcoffee

#1703 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:01 pm

nausearockpig wrote:saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople. New Zealand movie. Loved it.
Ditto. Saw it with the family a few weeks ago. Well worth it.

SR

#1704 Post by SR » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Just saw Arrival.....genius. :nod:

farrellgirl99

#1705 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:44 am

Just saw Moonlight which was gorgeous and excellent. Highly recommend.

Also saw Moana which was a great Disney movie. Amazing animation.