Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1661 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
clickie wrote:I feel like watching a horror movie tonight. Any recommendations?
The Thing 1980's remake
The Fly 1980's remake
Reanimator
Hellraiser
Alien
Dawn Of The Dead (original 1979 version)
Pans Labyrinth
Horror Of Dracula
Videodrome
ALIEN!!! That's our Xmas movie!

Bandit72

#1662 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 pm

If in doubt, watch The Thing. Carpenter and Morricone. NOTHING can go wrong. Best film ever.

nausearockpig

#1663 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
clickie wrote:I feel like watching a horror movie tonight. Any recommendations?
The Thing 1980's remake
The Fly 1980's remake
Reanimator
Hellraiser
Alien
Dawn Of The Dead (original 1979 version)
Pans Labyrinth
Horror Of Dracula
Videodrome
What did you end up watching?

clickie

#1664 Post by clickie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:18 am

Snowtown

nausearockpig

#1665 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am

clickie wrote:Snowtown
Was it the horror flick you wanted?

clickie

#1666 Post by clickie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:48 am

I dunno not really, it was a pretty bleak experience.

perkana

#1667 Post by perkana » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 am

I'm done with the kids and superheroes flicks. Still not sure about going to see the Suicide Squad movie. I'm not into comics so I don't care how close to the stories they are. I enjoy fast paced, violent, black humored comic movies :noclue:
I'm really looking forward to the new Ghostbusters movie. I saw the original ones (first one is my favorite) and I'm a fan of Paul Feig's movies and the comidiennes (all but Kate McKinnon, I think she's annoying) so my childhood will not be shattered with this gender swapped version (hello Chris Hemsworth :boobs: )

clickie

#1668 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Kate Mckinnon is one of the few cast members that stood out to me against all the unfamiliar faces on SNL the past few seasons. Shes funny and very attractive too. I guess shes a lesbian.

I feel ya about being over with this not so recent over ten years trend going on with comic book movies though. Theres still plenty more in the works. Some people must love em.

perkana

#1669 Post by perkana » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:42 pm

clickie wrote:Kate Mckinnon is one of the few cast members that stood out to me against all the unfamiliar faces on SNL the past few seasons. Shes funny and very attractive too. I guess shes a lesbian.
I think she's overexposed. Besides her Justin Bieber impression, I don't find any other of her impressions or characters funny :noclue: I like Leslie Jones 10000x better :heart:
P.S. I found funny your attractive+funny= she must be lesbian comment. It's not the first time I've heard/read it. Usually, people call me a lesbian because I'm not into them.

clickie

#1670 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:52 pm

When i said i guess shes a lesbian, i meant it from the standpoint of me being curious and reading about her life. I wasnt just making a joke or assumption.

creep
Site Admin

#1671 Post by creep » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:59 pm

clickie wrote:When i said i guess shes a lesbian, i meant it from the standpoint of me being curious and reading about her life. I wasnt just making a joke or assumption.
that sucks. i think you had a great shot at her if she wasn't.

clickie

#1672 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Creep, i wasnt insulting perk. She just read it the wrong way which is understandable.

clickie

#1673 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 pm

perkana wrote:
clickie wrote:Kate Mckinnon is one of the few cast members that stood out to me against all the unfamiliar faces on SNL the past few seasons. Shes funny and very attractive too. I guess shes a lesbian.
I think she's overexposed. Besides her Justin Bieber impression, I don't find any other of her impressions or characters funny :noclue: I like Leslie Jones 10000x better :heart:
P.S. I found funny your attractive+funny= she must be lesbian comment. It's not the first time I've heard/read it. Usually, people call me a lesbian because I'm not into them.
I hear ya, I always get accused of playing hard to get with any woman I dont follow into her bedroom.

perkana

#1674 Post by perkana » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:25 pm

clickie wrote:When i said i guess shes a lesbian, i meant it from the standpoint of me being curious and reading about her life. I wasnt just making a joke or assumption.
I thought it was a sarcastic joke :lol:

Artemis

#1675 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:06 am

Last night I saw Suicide Squad and it was not very good. I give it a 6/10, which some might say is generous.

The plot is all over the place. At some points I found myself not knowing what the hell was going on. Some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy lame too.

I saw it with a few friends after a few pre-movie drinks, so we did have fun watching it, but seriously, don't waste your money.

perkana

#1676 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

I watched it tonight my with mom. I think it was as I expected it to be. The whole Enchantress/June/soldier dude was boring as hell. Jared Leto's Joker really sucked but I loved Margot Robbie :heart:
I enjoyed El Diablo turning into that Aztec entity.
The best part of the movie was the soundtrack imo. My mom turned to me and told me that she liked hip hop.
I'm looking forward to The Ghostbusters this weekend.

perkana

#1677 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 pm

I loved Ghostbusters! I even liked Kate McKinnon. I was like a little kid getting excited about the cameos of the actors of the original one. They must be doing a second one.
And can Chris Hemsworth be more perfect? :heart:

nausearockpig

#1678 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:30 pm

perkana wrote:I watched it tonight my with mom. I think it was as I expected it to be. The whole Enchantress/June/soldier dude was boring as hell. Jared Leto's Joker really sucked but I loved Margot Robbie :heart:
I enjoyed El Diablo turning into that Aztec entity.
The best part of the movie was the soundtrack imo. My mom turned to me and told me that she liked hip hop.
I'm looking forward to The Ghostbusters this weekend.
Yeah that movie was so bland that it redefined "bland"... Joker was all wrong.. He's not a gangster, he's a maniac. Where's his deformed grin? Why does he have tattoos? Why did he push Harley into the vat at Ace Chemicals? I know the answers to all my questions, I'm just pointing out stuff that should not have been in the movie....

How and why does Warner keep getting DCU movies sooooo wrong.... Seriously Warner Bros. Studios, all you need to do is pay me a few million dollars to come on as creative consultant and I'll get them back on track for ya...

http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/an-o ... donuts.php
hehehehehehe

And a retort of sorts...
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/14/ ... arner-bros

Bottom line, WB DC movies of late have been shit.. All the way back to old mate Nolan.

kv

#1679 Post by kv » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:00 pm

It's made almost half a billion dollars so far...just like WB wanted...so shit or not it's show BUSINESS...and they cleaned up

nausearockpig

#1680 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:03 pm

kv wrote:It's made almost half a billion dollars so far...just like WB wanted...so shit or not it's show BUSINESS...and they cleaned up
Oh fuck yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not an earner, just my usual complaint that the movie makers have forsaken the "real" stories or histories of the characters to make their movie versions. I get that they feel they need to tie the central characters together to make the movies more cohesive, or the characters more relevant to appeal to mass audiences. I just don't like that this is the case, but realise that it is.

For instance, in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman movie, Burton made Jack Napier the guy who killed the Waynes, then had him fall into the acid to become the Joker, to then go onto battle Batman. It ties in nicely and makes for a "better" story for non-Batman-Freaks. In the comic books, a feller by the name of Joe Chill killed the Waynes, and a nothing comedian who decided to commit one crime ended up turning into the Joker. Some of the story elements are the same and some are not. I get it, I just don't like it. :lol:

kv

#1681 Post by kv » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Ya I hear ya

nausearockpig

#1682 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 pm

they introduced a sexual relationship between Batgirl and Batman in the animated adaption of The Killing Joke.. WHAT. THE. FUCK.... whyyyyyy..... to give her a fuller backstory as it turns out.. What a load of bullshit... It was done to either introduce a more controversial element to the movie, or simply to lengthen it. I get that The Killing Joke is pretty short - 48 pages I believe but adding that whole extra element to the relationships is just wrong... but whatever. It's comics, kids!

perkana

#1683 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:16 am

As a non comic book person, a comic book based movie has to have a good story, even if the story isn't that good, it has to have a clever dialogue. I'm not looking for one close to Macbeth. For example, for this movie for me, the most coherent character was Harley Quinn. I just didn't buy the rest. Will Smith was just being Will Smith.

nausearockpig

#1684 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 pm

perkana wrote:As a non comic book person, a comic book based movie has to have a good story, even if the story isn't that good, it has to have a clever dialogue. I'm not looking for one close to Macbeth. For example, for this movie for me, the most coherent character was Harley Quinn. I just didn't buy the rest. Will Smith was just being Will Smith.
I would agree regarding story & dialogue, just as they're important in any genre or style of movie.

My ongoing question or point of incredulity is a general one about the use, or lack thereof, of comic book back-stories/histories. I'll use Nolan's first Batman film - Batman Begins as an example. It shows BW training with the Ra's Al Ghul and his League of Assassins only, then goes on to the rest of the movie where Ra's is the main baddie. Given the training part of the movie was considerable in length, would it have been worse, the same or better for the overall setting up of the eventual Batman character if Nolan had chopped say two minutes from the whole Ra's bit at the beginning and had BW flashback (or dream-sequence lol or whatever) to show Ra's and the audience all the other masters of many disciplines that BW trained & studied under in his time to become the man that is Batman in the comics?

Nolan's interpretation of Batman simplifies the character to being a ninja only - which is only one facet of what Batman is. It does a disservice to the character, its legacy and the story. Same goes with Ledger's Joker wearing white make up. Joker has white skin. End of story. NO interpretation to this should be permitted.

It's like saying "Oh we're doing a story about Jesus, but instead of using nails to crucify him, we're just gonna tie him up there, cos you know, Christoper Nolan".... um... no...

Re Will Smith, my friend summed it up nicely. Why is Will Smith Deadshot "Deadshot has a daughter.... I have a daughter... I wanna be Deadshot!!!"

perkana

#1685 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 pm

nausearockpig wrote: Given the training part of the movie was considerable in length, would it have been worse, the same or better for the overall setting up of the eventual Batman character if Nolan had chopped say two minutes from the whole Ra's bit at the beginning and had BW flashback (or dream-sequence lol or whatever) to show Ra's and the audience all the other masters of many disciplines that BW trained & studied under in his time to become the man that is Batman in the comics?

Nolan's interpretation of Batman simplifies the character to being a ninja only - which is only one facet of what Batman is. It does a disservice to the character, its legacy and the story. Same goes with Ledger's Joker wearing white make up. Joker has white skin. End of story. NO interpretation to this should be permitted.

It's like saying "Oh we're doing a story about Jesus, but instead of using nails to crucify him, we're just gonna tie him up there, cos you know, Christoper Nolan".... um... no...
That's why I remarked that I'm not a comic book person. I don't know if Nolan is a comic book diehard fan, but that is his interpretation. Since I dig both Christian Bale and Liam Neeson, I didn't mind that at all :lol: My favorite Joker is Heath's. I know his is not the usual one but I prefer him, compared to Nicholson's. On that note Danny DeVito as the Penguin is another favorite, although the Penguin I compare others with is the one from the 60's tv series.
nausearockpig wrote:Re Will Smith, my friend summed it up nicely. Why is Will Smith Deadshot "Deadshot has a daughter.... I have a daughter... I wanna be Deadshot!!!"
Absolutely! :lolol: