Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Larry B.

Re: Movies

#81 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 am

Jasper wrote:
Larry B. wrote:But zombie series are hella neat, aren't they?
Yes, poor, dim Larry, The Walking Dead is quite good.
:lol: :lol:

mockbee

#82 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 am

creep wrote:
i get a bad feeling when i see them because i know i'm going to watch it but i really don't like the show anymore. i'm bummed out that i have to watch it. :jasper:
psssssssssssssssssssssst.................................hey, creep.....

try this...............it's way better..................i know you got it......................kthxbi

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm

i know...i know. i will start it soon. i promise.

clickie

#84 Post by clickie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I watched Cabin in the Woods today online, and even though theres no masterful story telling with this movie, I enjoyed it as a whole...

I liked the self-awareness throughout the movie, but there isn't too much tension or suspense built up so you're basically just along for the ride.

I heard that since it was the same writer, this film shared some similar elements with Buffy the vampire slayer and angel, so it probably helped that i've never watched either of those two shows.

Theres some things I wish they handled a little differently, but i'd be giving away some spoilers...

Larry B.

#85 Post by Larry B. » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Watched 'Shame' yesterday.

I thought it was pretty boring, except for some very, very good moments. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Everything else is forgettable.

And I'm not sure if I like Carey Mulligan 10 times more or 10 times less. I'm deeply confused.

Pandemonium

#86 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 pm

I saw "The Avengers" this week with my son - skipped the 3D and went for good ol' 2D which in this case was probably the right move.

IMO, this flick is pretty over-rated, considering the hype and money it's already taken in. It's not a bad movie by any stretch and in fact, it *is* one of the better superhero movies. But it's no Batman/Dark Knight and I actually think the first two X-Men movies compare pretty strongly to it. The big draw is the obvious novelty of not only getting all the core Marvel superheroes shoehorned into one movie, but the fact that aside from The Hulk (actually "Bruce Banner"), all the key actors from the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America franchises are in their respective roles as well which is a tremendous plus as smart casting has been one of the best points of these movies. However, the movie takes a big turn towards pure crash-boom nirvana when The Hulk finally appears in the last 3rd of the flick (he speaks just one short line near the end) first to take on Thor and later the bad guys. There's two quick bits involving The Hulk that look like they came straight out of a Loony Tunes cartoon, one involving Thor and one involving Loki that were funny as hell.

Recommended, but don't rush to see it.

SR

#87 Post by SR » Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I saw "The Avengers" this week with my son - skipped the 3D and went for good ol' 2D which in this case was probably the right move.

IMO, this flick is pretty over-rated, considering the hype and money it's already taken in. It's not a bad movie by any stretch and in fact, it *is* one of the better superhero movies. But it's no Batman/Dark Knight and I actually think the first two X-Men movies compare pretty strongly to it. The big draw is the obvious novelty of not only getting all the core Marvel superheroes shoehorned into one movie, but the fact that aside from The Hulk (actually "Bruce Banner"), all the key actors from the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America franchises are in their respective roles as well which is a tremendous plus as smart casting has been one of the best points of these movies. However, the movie takes a big turn towards pure crash-boom nirvana when The Hulk finally appears in the last 3rd of the flick (he speaks just one short line near the end) first to take on Thor and later the bad guys. There's two quick bits involving The Hulk that look like they came straight out of a Loony Tunes cartoon, one involving Thor and one involving Loki that were funny as hell.

How old is yr son?

Jasper

#88 Post by Jasper » Wed May 09, 2012 7:07 pm

clickie wrote:I watched Cabin in the Woods today online, and even though theres no masterful story telling with this movie, I enjoyed it as a whole...
Yeah, I watched that. It was a really fun movie. That guy, Joss Whedon, also directed The Avengers, and did the series Firefly.
Larry B. wrote:Watched 'Shame' yesterday.

I thought it was pretty boring, except for some very, very good moments. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Everything else is forgettable.

And I'm not sure if I like Carey Mulligan 10 times more or 10 times less. I'm deeply confused.
I was somewhat disappointed by the movie, though it wasn't horrible.

Tyler Durden

#89 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I saw "The Avengers" this week with my son - skipped the 3D and went for good ol' 2D which in this case was probably the right move.

With the exception of your Batman/Dark Knight comment (I'm not a fan), I agree with your review, 100%. :thumb:

Larry B.

#90 Post by Larry B. » Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Is Scarlett unbearably sexy?

Tyler Durden

#91 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Larry B. wrote:Is Scarlett unbearably sexy?
YES

perkana

#92 Post by perkana » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 pm

I asked around if it was worth seeing it in 3D and it was! I saw Thor in 3D but I was very disappointed. I think I'm glad I'm not big into comics, because I enjoyed this a lot. I only have to say that Captain America was meh for me.

dali

#93 Post by dali » Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm

perkana wrote:
I only have to say that Captain America was meh for me.

I remember, when you were down
And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won't give me a second glance
Now I'm calling all citizens from all over the world
This is Captain America calling
I bailed you out when you were down on your knees
So will you catch me now I'm falling

Larry B.

#94 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
YES
DOWNLOADING

Tyler Durden

#95 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 10, 2012 7:22 am

Larry B. wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
YES
DOWNLOADING
:lol:

perkana

#96 Post by perkana » Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 am

I want to see Casa de mi padre this weekend...I've only read negative reviews and I know it bombed in the US, but I'm going with the mind that a)it's a satire b)I love any movie with Will Ferrell c)Him talking in Spanish is an extra d)I haven't seen any Diego + Gael movie that I didn't like so far

wally

#97 Post by wally » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 am

perkana wrote:I want to see Casa de mi padre this weekend...I've only read negative reviews and I know it bombed in the US, but I'm going with the mind that a)it's a satire b)I love any movie with Will Ferrell c)Him talking in Spanish is an extra d)I haven't seen any Diego + Gael movie that I didn't like so far
fun fact: when I was in todos santos, there was a dude in one of the shops who kept telling me I loked like Diego Luna, he was grabbing his friends and taking pictures and stuff, he even made me sign some "diego luna" autographs for him. :lol:
i was pretty scruffy at the time, but I still don't see it.

perkana

#98 Post by perkana » Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 am

:lol: that was funny...

Pandemonium

#99 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

SR wrote:How old is yr son?

perkana

#100 Post by perkana » Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 am

perkana wrote:I want to see Casa de mi padre this weekend...I've only read negative reviews and I know it bombed in the US, but I'm going with the mind that a)it's a satire b)I love any movie with Will Ferrell c)Him talking in Spanish is an extra d)I haven't seen any Diego + Gael movie that I didn't like so far
My review: I really enjoyed it, especially because it was the last movie of one of the best Mexican actors (Pedro Armendáriz Jr.). My favorite line:
Pedro : "Tienes los ojos de tu mamá"
Will : "Sí, chiquitos como de pollito" :lol:
Now I know why it bombed over there, too many references about Mexican soap operas.

farrellgirl99

#101 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:34 pm

I took my mom to Dark Shadows for Mother's Day cause she's a huge Johnny Depp fan. It was a terrible mess, as expected.

perkana

#102 Post by perkana » Sun May 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Take her to see 21 Jump Street... :wink:
Damn, and I really was looking forward to seeing it.

mockbee

#103 Post by mockbee » Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Forks Over Knives

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

I watched this a while ago, but it is not getting out of my head..... I eat relatively very healthy but I am considering going all the way. Meat sometimes but mostly as a garnish, like japanese and other asian societies who live forever (or at least used to, before KFC and McDonalds showed up over there) I will be purchasing this movie. :banana:

Examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.

What has happened to us? Despite the most advanced medical technology in the world, we are sicker than ever by nearly every measure. Cases of diabetes are exploding, especially amongst our younger population. About half of us are taking at least one prescription drug and major medical operations have become routine. Heart disease, cancer and stroke are the country's three leading causes of death, even though billions are spent each year to "battle" these very conditions. Millions suffer from a host of other degenerative diseases. Could it be there's a single solution to all of these problems? A solution so comprehensive, but so utterly straightforward, that it's mind-boggling that more of us haven't taken it seriously? FORKS OVER KNIVES examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the so-called "diseases of affluence" that afflict us can be controlled...

Before people start spouting crap about sickly folks they know or seen who are vegan; there are so, so, so many exaples of well.... the 'healthiest' people on the planet being strict vegans....

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

Tri-athlete VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

VEGAN

Bluuurg.... I could go on forever.....I'm only to the "F's" and I skipped a TON of people who are v ery "healthy " :eyes:

Yea... i'm definitely going for it. I know when I eat a plant and whole foods based diet with an emphasis on grains and beans and tons of greens, colorful veggies and fruit, I feel fantastic and my brain and body are ready to go and go and go.......

Hype

#104 Post by Hype » Thu May 17, 2012 1:09 pm

It's pretty easy to go vegetarian. It's a lot harder to consciously and consistently avoid animal products entirely. It takes more than an ordinary sort of lifestyle change, because you have to do massive amounts of research to see what products contain hidden animal products, and you have to stay on your toes constantly. If you're not the sort of person who tends to be able to do this anyway, it's prohibitively time and energy-consuming. I'm surrounded by vegans (in academia), but I really think there are degrees to this... you can minimize your use of animals while still consistently maintaining that they should be treated better, and improve your health too.

It's also incredibly difficult if you have existing dietary restrictions -- like celiac. Making sure you cover all the bases as far as vitamin deficiencies go is tricky (everybody absorbs things at different rates, and it's esp. difficult to make sure the unregulated vitamin pill industry is actually providing you with the blood serum levels you need).

It's also a myth that east asians live extraordinarily long lives. A lot of the historical cases where they've claimed longevity were later found to be fraudulent. But it is true that a diet that focuses on brown rice instead of wheat and avoids red meat will leave you in better shape for avoiding several kinds of cancer and diabetes.

Larry B.

#105 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 17, 2012 1:13 pm

mockbee wrote:the 'healthiest' people on the planet being strict vegans....
:hs:

please explain to us what makes these people the 'healthiest'.

they look great, for sure. as great as thousands of others who are vegetarian, passionate meat eaters or simple omnivorous human beings.