Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Movies

#61 Post by perkana » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

Have you seen Dark Shadows trailer? I think I'm going to see this one. Again Depp and Bonham Carter seem to steal the movie. It will be something new for me since I've never seen the show it was based on.

Oh yeah, Johnny Lee Miller :boobs: :lol:

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am

perkana wrote:Have you seen Dark Shadows trailer? I think I'm going to see this one. Again Depp and Bonham Carter seem to steal the movie. It will be something new for me since I've never seen the show it was based on.

Oh yeah, Johnny Lee Miller :boobs: :lol:
I like Depp, I like Burton and I'm ancient enough to actually remember watching the original Dark Shadows soap opera after school in the 60's and this looks really terrible. This kind of comedic take worked for the two Addams Family movies because.. well, that show originally was a comedy. Not so much for this one.

The original soap opera was (like all soap operas) unbearably slow but it was fairly serious in tone and the lead actor who played the Vampire Barnabas Collins was really good. After the soap was cancelled, they did a theatrical movie with the original cast which successfully telescoped the main plot into 2 hours and added R rated gore which while very dated and reeks of made-for-tv cheapness, is still worth checking out if you can find it (it was never released on dvd).

BTW, still love the old theme song:

dali

#63 Post by dali » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

Pandemonium wrote:
"Quentin's Theme" WTF, that dude on the right LOOKS like Quentin Tarantino. Eerie

mothra665

#64 Post by mothra665 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

[Hit So Hard]
A documentary that follows Hole drummer Patty Schemel ups & downs with, you guessed it...Addiction.
The only place i was able to view it was [walmart on demand] :noclue:

For Nirvana & Hole listeners it was "ok" :thumb:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I like Hole. This doc looks disjointed.

Pandemonium

#66 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 pm

In a weird bit of news today, the actor who originally played Barnabas Collins in "Dark Shadows," Jonathan Frid died today. I guess he had a cameo in the new Tim Burton remake.

creep
Site Admin

#67 Post by creep » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 pm

mothra665 wrote:[Hit So Hard]
A documentary that follows Hole drummer Patty Schemel ups & downs with, you guessed it...Addiction.
The only place i was able to view it was [walmart on demand] :noclue:

For Nirvana & Hole listeners it was "ok" :thumb:
i downloaded it and just watched it. yeah it was ok...there was some goofy editing and i kept obsessing on eric the guitar players teeth. worth a rent or download i guess.

creep
Site Admin

#68 Post by creep » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:36 pm

i watched transsiberian last night. it was pretty good. woody harrelson is usually a good actor but i thought he went a little over the top playing a church going nerdy nice guy. i pretty much hated his character. other than that it was good.

Hype

#69 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:22 pm

creep wrote:i watched transsiberian last night. it was pretty good. woody harrelson is usually a good actor but i thought he went a little over the top playing a church going nerdy nice guy. i pretty much hated his character. other than that it was good.

I saw that about two years ago. It was okay.

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 am

Xizen47 wrote:
creep wrote:not a movie but did anyone else see "girls" last night on hbo? the previews made it look sorta dumb but i gave it a try and i really liked it.
after that Eastbound and Down joke of a series finale last night, i was done.

I'll probably watch this though. Any HBO series is worth a shot imo :nod:
I watched this show, creep, just for you, and I'm not sure it's something I could get into. I didn't like the story or any of the characters, and HBO stole one chick from Mad Men, so now if I watch this on Sundays I'd be watching two shows with this chick, one where she's a bohemian intellectual dyke in NYC in the 60s, and another where she's an idiot bimbo in modern-day NYC, and on a massively inferior show. Don't think I can do it. :noclue:

Larry B.

#71 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm

But zombie series are hella neat, aren't they?

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Jasper wrote:
I watched this show, creep, just for you, and I'm not sure it's something I could get into. I didn't like the story or any of the characters, and HBO stole one chick from Mad Men, so now if I watch this on Sundays I'd be watching two shows with this chick, one where she's a bohemian intellectual dyke in NYC in the 60s, and another where she's an idiot bimbo in modern-day NYC, and on a massively inferior show. Don't think I can do it. :noclue:
:sad: thanks for trying.

i am going to give another hbo show a shot tonight. it looks pretty promising.

Matz

#73 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm

just watched The Shining, first time in over 10 years I think. I had forgotten how great a movie this is. The kid who plays the son is a really great talent. Sadly that was his only movie I just found out

Artemis

#74 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 pm

The Shining is great!
That's a good example of a book that wasn't a disappointment as a movie.

Jasper

#75 Post by Jasper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Larry B. wrote:But zombie series are hella neat, aren't they?
Yes, poor, dim Larry, The Walking Dead is quite good. It's not quite GREAT like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, or Game of Thrones, but it's very good. GIRLS was decent, but not very good, imo. I may try it one more time, just in case I can connect with what creep enjoyed about it. If you, Larry, don't even care to view any of these Sunday night offerings, then perhaps you should refrain from commenting - though with you being 2459 posts deep, we won't hold our collective breath.
Artemis wrote:The Shining is great!
I agree, it's a "hella neat" Kubrick flick about ESP, ghosts, and demonic possession, though Stephan King called it "an interesting failure." It may have failed his vision of the book, fine, but the only goal of a film isn't pleasing the writer. Kubrick's vision was brilliant.

Artemis

#76 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Jasper wrote:
I agree, it's a "hella neat" Kubrick flick about ESP, ghosts, and demonic possession, though Stephan King called it "an interesting failure." It may have failed his vision of the book, fine, but the only goal of a film isn't pleasing the writer. Kubrick's vision was brilliant.
I didn't know that Stephen King was unhappy with the movie.

I wanted to find out more about that and found this very good article..

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0089.html
Stephen King, disappointed in the changes Kubrick had made in adapting his novel, wrote:

There's a lot to like about it. But it's a great big beautiful Cadillac with no motor inside. You can sit in it, and you can enjoy the smell of the leather upholstery - the only thing you can't do is drive it anywhere. So I would do everything different. The real problem is that Kubrick set out to make a horror picture with no apparent understanding of the genre. (5)

Tyler Durden

#77 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Artemis wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I didn't know that Stephen King was unhappy with the movie.

I wanted to find out more about that and found this very good article..

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0089.html
Stephen King, disappointed in the changes Kubrick had made in adapting his novel, wrote:

There's a lot to like about it. But it's a great big beautiful Cadillac with no motor inside. You can sit in it, and you can enjoy the smell of the leather upholstery - the only thing you can't do is drive it anywhere. So I would do everything different. The real problem is that Kubrick set out to make a horror picture with no apparent understanding of the genre. (5)
Someone's talking out of their ass. Kubrick's The Shining is EASILY the best Stephen King adaptation and one of the greatest horror films ever made. I've never understood King's position on this.

creep
Site Admin

#78 Post by creep » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
:sad: thanks for trying.

i am going to give another hbo show a shot tonight. it looks pretty promising.

i might be done with "girls". it just didn't do it for me tonight. veep started out slow but grew on me. it was pretty good. i will probably hate it next week. they are starting to show previews for true blood. i get a bad feeling when i see them because i know i'm going to watch it but i really don't like the show anymore. i'm bummed out that i have to watch it. :jasper:

perkana

#79 Post by perkana » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

:lol: I've forgotten last season's finale, but since it is not based on the books, I have no idea wtf to expect for season 4...

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 am

Yes, True Blood truly blows, and I fear the same thing - watching it in spite of its poor quality. The first season was fairly enjoyable, but the enjoyment has been pretty sporadic since then. At times, it is truly shameful. Nevertheless, Russell should be reappearing, so it might take a turn for the better. Sadly, even with a good character like that, the writers still appear to be grasping at straws. It's like the plots are being spontaneously cobbled together by a group of six year olds only days before filming.

I watched Girls, and there was one bright spot - the job interview gone wrong. That was actually fairly funny.

Larry B.

#81 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 am

Jasper wrote:
Larry B. wrote:But zombie series are hella neat, aren't they?
Yes, poor, dim Larry, The Walking Dead is quite good.
:lol: :lol:

mockbee

#82 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 am

creep wrote:
i get a bad feeling when i see them because i know i'm going to watch it but i really don't like the show anymore. i'm bummed out that i have to watch it. :jasper:
psssssssssssssssssssssst.................................hey, creep.....

try this...............it's way better..................i know you got it......................kthxbi

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm

i know...i know. i will start it soon. i promise.

clickie

#84 Post by clickie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I watched Cabin in the Woods today online, and even though theres no masterful story telling with this movie, I enjoyed it as a whole...

I liked the self-awareness throughout the movie, but there isn't too much tension or suspense built up so you're basically just along for the ride.

I heard that since it was the same writer, this film shared some similar elements with Buffy the vampire slayer and angel, so it probably helped that i've never watched either of those two shows.

Theres some things I wish they handled a little differently, but i'd be giving away some spoilers...

Larry B.

#85 Post by Larry B. » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Watched 'Shame' yesterday.

I thought it was pretty boring, except for some very, very good moments. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Everything else is forgettable.

And I'm not sure if I like Carey Mulligan 10 times more or 10 times less. I'm deeply confused.