Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Movies

#126 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am

grown ups? I feel the same way...I might have done that as a kid (must have seen Flash Gordon like 5 times in a row, have forgotten about the Star Wars movies)...but I just can't now that I'm this old

leviticus

#127 Post by leviticus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Anyone in the UK see Prometheus yet? Getting Wildly mixed reviews which excites me. I love Ridley Scott and am hoping for a good one.

Artemis

#128 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 pm

leviticus wrote:Anyone in the UK see Prometheus yet? Getting Wildly mixed reviews which excites me. I love Ridley Scott and am hoping for a good one.
I am really looking forward to that one too.

Larry B.

#129 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Larry B. wrote: although I have no idea why he was uncontrollable at first and totally conscious by the end..
My thoughts exactly, didn't make sense :hs:
The interwebz had the answer :dunce:

The first transformation wasn't voluntary. The second was.

creep
Site Admin

#130 Post by creep » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:35 pm

not technically a movie but did anyone watch the hatfields and mccoys on the history channel? it's six hours long but it's really good. you should check it out. you can watch it online.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields- ... oys-part-1

kv

#131 Post by kv » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:59 am

i watched that...was alright, kinda drawn out the last 2 days...just left me sad for humanity...but good to make and show that stuff...i loved the very end

"two families that hated each other so much that now history can't say one name without the other"----OWNED

blackcoffee

#132 Post by blackcoffee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:51 pm

London Boulevard

I've got new found respect for Colin Farrell. My wife and I stumbled upon this last night on NetFlix. It's very good. Is based on a book by Ken Bruen who writes really hard-boiled fiction.

JOEinPHX

#133 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 pm

zdilla wrote:that guy looks like jim carrey from liar, liar. :bday:

:hs:

thoreau

#134 Post by thoreau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 pm

creep wrote:not technically a movie but did anyone watch the hatfields and mccoys on the history channel? it's six hours long but it's really good. you should check it out. you can watch it online.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields- ... oys-part-1

I've watched the first part so far, which I really liked. I plan on watching the second tonight.

Bill Paxton was made for crazy religious Mr. McCoy.

creep
Site Admin

#135 Post by creep » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm

the trailer for the new tarantino movie looks interesting

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcz2c ... shortfilms

nausearockpig

#136 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 pm

saw avengers, it was fun.. as expected. The whole thing about hte hulk was a bit silly though.. he's a raving uncontrollable beast who smashes shit and wants to be left alone.. not a giant strong dude who makes sense...

Hawkeye was dumb though... .i hear theyve made a Hawkeye comic series post the movie (not the other way around which I believe is a first)

Prometheus soon, MIB3 soon, BATMAN SOON!!!!!

Pandemonium

#137 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Hawkeye was dumb though... .i hear theyve made a Hawkeye comic series post the movie (not the other way around which I believe is a first)
Hawkeye's been around since the early 60's.

nausearockpig

#138 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Hawkeye was dumb though... .i hear theyve made a Hawkeye comic series post the movie (not the other way around which I believe is a first)
Hawkeye's been around since the early 60's.
I guess I heard wrong.

chaos

#139 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 am

Has anyone seen Prometheus? I had been looking forward to seeing this film, but some of the reviews have me reconsidering. Here is the first sentence from one review:
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/article ... pbox_links

Watching “Prometheus” is like opening a deluxe gift box from Tiffany’s to find a mug from the dollar store.

:sad:

Jasper

#140 Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:28 am

chaos wrote:Has anyone seen Prometheus? I had been looking forward to seeing this film, but some of the reviews have me reconsidering. Here is the first sentence from one review:

Watching “Prometheus” is like opening a deluxe gift box from Tiffany’s to find a mug from the dollar store.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. While it didn't live up to the impossible hype, it was still good (though not great, like Aliens). I had to force myself pretty hard to suspend disbelief at multiple points. The lack of scientific protocol and the speed at which some things were achieved, such as scientific procedures/experiments, seemed wildly implausible. Some cliche action sequences weren't really necessary, and seemed a bit out of place. Some of the characters were more or less caricatures that lacked any real depth or nuance. I was confused about some of the motivations of the android character, but maybe that stuff will be explained in the next film - or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

If you're into Alien/Aliens (the third is dreary and dull, and the others probably shouldn't even be considered canon) it's worth seeing, and I almost think you have no choice but to see it. It was definitely fun, and as implausible as the whole thing was, I still wanted to see what happened next.

nausearockpig

#141 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:44 am

Jasper wrote:
chaos wrote:Has anyone seen Prometheus? I had been looking forward to seeing this film, but some of the reviews have me reconsidering. Here is the first sentence from one review:

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. While it didn't live up to the impossible hype, it was still good (though not great, like Aliens). I had to force myself pretty hard to suspend disbelief at multiple points. The lack of scientific protocol and the speed at which some things were achieved, such as scientific procedures/experiments, seemed wildly implausible. Some cliche action sequences weren't really necessary, and seemed a bit out of place. Some of the characters were more or less caricatures that lacked any real depth or nuance. I was confused about some of the motivations of the android character, but maybe that stuff will be explained in the next film - or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

If you're into Alien/Aliens (the third is dreary and dull, and the others probably shouldn't even be considered canon) it's worth seeing, and I almost think you have no choice but to see it. It was definitely fun, and as implausible as the whole thing was, I still wanted to see what happened next.
is it "related" to Alien/Aliens? The ads show a big circular or almost circular ship kinda like the one in Alien(s?)... where all the Alien eggs are...

kv

#142 Post by kv » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 am

it's a prequel

leviticus

#143 Post by leviticus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:40 am

Great! I could always use a good Mug. I love wildly uneven, portentous SciFi flix anyway. Ebert gave it 4 stars as well.

Pandemonium

#144 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 am

Almost all of Ridley Scott's movies have been hammered to various degrees when they were first released. I remember when Blade Runner first came out, a lot of reviewers basically appreciated the visual design of the film but ridiculed the story. Even Alien was called a rip-off bordering on plagiarism of several 50's sci-fi horror movies. The thing is, his movies have almost endless rewatchability potential. There's always something to be picked up and appreciated in later viewings. His movies seem to outlast the criticism and settle on classic status years and decades later.

Tyler Durden

#145 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 am

Pandemonium wrote:Almost all of Ridley Scott's movies have been hammered to various degrees when they were first released. I remember when Blade Runner first came out, a lot of reviewers basically appreciated the visual design of the film but ridiculed the story. Even Alien was called a rip-off bordering on plagiarism of several 50's sci-fi horror movies. The thing is, his movies have almost endless rewatchability potential. There's always something to be picked up and appreciated in later viewings. His movies seem to outlast the criticism and settle on classic status years and decades later.
Amen.

I'm going to see Prometheus tomorrow...and the somewhat mixed reception it is getting has me a lot more hopeful and intrigued than if it was getting unwaveringly high praise; I feel it may be a good sign.

chaos

#146 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:27 am

I am going to see Prometheus tomorrow too.

@Jasper - did you see it in 3D? I have never seen a movie in the theaters in 3D. Would I regret not doing so?

Jasper

#147 Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

chaos wrote:I am going to see Prometheus tomorrow too.

@Jasper - did you see it in 3D? I have never seen a movie in the theaters in 3D. Would I regret not doing so?
No, I didn't exactly see it through traditional means.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 3D movie in the theater. There were a few when I was a kid. Last one was probably that Michael Jackson one at Epcot.

Personally, I don't want to wear those glasses and shit, but I'm sure it would be kind of neat seeing this in 3D.

creep
Site Admin

#148 Post by creep » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Jasper wrote:
chaos wrote:I am going to see Prometheus tomorrow too.

No, I didn't exactly see it through traditional means.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 3D movie in the theater. There were a few when I was a kid. Last one was probably that Michael Jackson one at Epcot.

Personally, I don't want to wear those glasses and shit, but I'm sure it would be kind of neat seeing this in 3D.
i never plan on seeing a 3d movie. i don't feel the need for it.

Tyler Durden

#149 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah, I don't get nor am I interested in 3-D.

Larry B.

#150 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Yeah, I don't get nor am I interested in 3-D.