Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1761 Post by creep » Wed May 03, 2017 2:50 pm

perkana wrote: "Guardians of the Galaxy, vol 2" This one was so damn funny. I don't know shit about the Marvel Universe, but I really enjoy this kind of
movies. And I have a huge crush on Dave Bautista :love:
One thing I have learned about you is that you have many celebrity crushes. I think we should have a "latest Perkana celebrity crush" thread. :nod:

Matz

#1762 Post by Matz » Wed May 03, 2017 3:28 pm

the guy dwarfs Schwarzenegger in his prime it seems :bored:

perkana

#1763 Post by perkana » Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm

creep wrote:
perkana wrote: "Guardians of the Galaxy, vol 2" This one was so damn funny. I don't know shit about the Marvel Universe, but I really enjoy this kind of
movies. And I have a huge crush on Dave Bautista :love:
One thing I have learned about you is that you have many celebrity crushes. I think we should have a "latest Perkana celebrity crush" thread. :nod:
He's like my latest, I really didn't think much of him until I saw the last GotG...I think I have more a crush on his character :lol:
Damn, a thread for my latest crushes, that would be embarrasing enough...
At least I've passed the fangirl phase, I used to make scrapbooks and shit for my crushes when I was a teenager :lol:
Last edited by perkana on Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perkana

#1764 Post by perkana » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Matz wrote:the guy dwarfs Schwarzenegger in his prime it seems :bored:
Schwarzenegger just doesn't do it for me, ja...And I'm not into WWE chumps, I'm more into lucha libre kinda guys, but this guy is such a natural. Or like I said, I really like his character. He's just too funny.

Matz

#1765 Post by Matz » Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 pm

perkana wrote:Damn, a thread for my latest crushes, that would be embarrasing enough...
:lolol: no, that would be the coolest thread of all...

Pandemonium

#1766 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 pm

I watched Logan over the weekend and was very surprised how much I liked it. By far the best of the three stand-alone Wolverine movies, certainly the most brutal (although it's all CGI-enhanced blood n' guts).

clickie

#1767 Post by clickie » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

Hey Panda, whats your top three John Carpenter movies not including The Thing?

Pandemonium

#1768 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am

clickie wrote:Hey Panda, whats your top three John Carpenter movies not including The Thing?
Discounting The Thing which I'd rank as my number one favorite, I'd call it like this:

1. Big Trouble In Little China
2. Escape From New York
3. In The Mouth Of Madness

I like to a lesser degree Elvis, Vampires, They Live and The Fog.

clickie

#1769 Post by clickie » Thu May 18, 2017 4:47 am

Cool panda, yeah I need to re-watch a few of them because I haven't seen them in about 30 years otherwise I'd list my top 5. No shit, Elvis? I didn't even know about that one.

The ones I need to re-watch are In the Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness.

Pandemonium

#1770 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

clickie wrote:Cool panda, yeah I need to re-watch a few of them because I haven't seen them in about 30 years otherwise I'd list my top 5. No shit, Elvis? I didn't even know about that one.

The ones I need to re-watch are In the Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness.
I really didn't care much for In The Mouth Of Madness when I originally saw it during it's theatrical run but about a year ago I picked up the Blu-ray and it was one of those instances of rediscovering and viewing the movie from a completely different perspective. I still think Prince Of Darkness is only "meh" though.

Elvis is really good due to Kurt Russell's performance (even if he didn't do the actual singing).

perkana

#1771 Post by perkana » Wed May 31, 2017 11:56 am

Alien Covenant, yay!
The Pirates of the Caribbean 5, yay! I really wasn't expecting much, but it was really funny and entertaining. Javier Bardem is ugly and scary as fuck, but big points for him. Paul McCartney was actually fun to watch; he was no Keith Richards but still. Looks like there is going to be a sixth movie. I will probably watch it, too.

Bandit72

#1772 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 pm

So I watched Inception last night. Hmmmm. I enjoyed it but I never got the 'no way wow factor' feeling that some of my friends were screaming. And it's nowhere near as good as Memento. I'm not sure if Nolan was trying to be too clever? But to try and portray dreams as part of a movie, well that's just impossible. 6.5/10 :nod:

Matz

#1773 Post by Matz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:18 pm

finally watched the new Point Break. :jasper: What a fuckin mess. How dare they call it Point Break, that's blasphemy? How about "Parade of C actors with a fucked up manuscript" instead?

Point break is one of my favorite movies so I'm very protective :heart: :love:

kv

#1774 Post by kv » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Everything you said about it I'd apply to the original :lolol:

Matz

#1775 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:13 am

perkana

#1776 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 pm

:lol:
I love you Matz, you make me laugh so hard.

Matz

#1777 Post by Matz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 pm

and vice versa.....thanks buddy

perkana

#1778 Post by perkana » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm

P.S. that movie is my guilty pleasure, actually any Keanu Reeves movie.

Larry B.

#1779 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 am

I recently had to subtitle a couple of movies that I think deserve a mention.

The original Sweeney Todd, from 1936, is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. It's not well rated by Rotten Tomatoes and the like, but I thought it deserved a watch, really. There's just too much creepiness to describe here, it does a great job at keeping you on your toes. The main actor is fantastic. I had a look at the trailer for Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, and it is an embarrassment. The premise and story of the original are really simple, and it's for the best. If you have a chance, give it a go. It's only 65 minutes long anyway. 6/10 for me.

Land of the Minotaur (1976), is one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever had to work with. In terms of story, it's a generic horror flick featuring a few nipples, a hot-shot detective who can't be controlled, young people disappearing, and a weird cult being behind these disappearences. This really is one of those movies that are so bad, that they're good. I laughed out loud in several ocassions while translating this thing. Everything looks so cheap, the entire flick had to be overdubbed and there is no sync whatsoever, the characters are all laughable and nonsensical, and the dialogues are beyond stupid. There's a priest that wants the mystery solved and is almost omniscient, and at one point the detective asks him how does he know all this (which I had been wondering for about an hour by now), and he just goes "I just know." Alright then. Thank you for clearing up that interesting bit of backstory for us. I genuinely believe that whoever wrote the script got bored halfway into the movie. I really mean that: The first 45 minutes take up 2/3 of the script. The last 45 minutes are mostly ghostly voices ("Papa!") being repeated all over, and characters describing what they're going to do or why ("I will climb to that window so that I can block the moonlight!!") It also features a fire-breathing sculpture of a Minotaur and a guy named Baron Corofax. 3/10, if only for the entertainment value of how stupid and not terrifying a horror movie can be.

Hype

#1780 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Bandit72 wrote:So I watched Inception last night. Hmmmm. I enjoyed it but I never got the 'no way wow factor' feeling that some of my friends were screaming. And it's nowhere near as good as Memento. I'm not sure if Nolan was trying to be too clever? But to try and portray dreams as part of a movie, well that's just impossible. 6.5/10 :nod:
I always thought the best one was The Prestige, because it had a kind of almost believable magical realism. Memento took a real life strange medical condition and just made it more convoluted. And Inception was overbearing.

farrellgirl99

#1781 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm

saw Good Time and thought it was the best movie ive seen in a long time. just a great movie to watch in theaters. it was unpredictable and fun. reminded me of drive.

i never saw twlight, but i assume rob pattison redeems himself here.

perkana

#1782 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

:lol:
He is a great actor, though I don't blame him, those movies made him famous and now he can act in anything he wants.

creep
Site Admin

#1783 Post by creep » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 pm

perkana wrote: He is a great actor
:lol: Oh come on...

Yes I have only seen a couple movies that he was in but he was not a good actor.

If he is good in this latest movie good for him. :thumb:

perkana

#1784 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 pm

He is...really, I've seen him in different movies, even though I didn't like one at all (David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars, but to be honest, he was even good in that one). And I don't have a crush on him, so I can be 100% objective :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#1785 Post by creep » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm

perkana wrote:He is...really, I've seen him in different movies, even though I didn't like one at all (David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars, but to be honest, he was even good in that one). And I don't have a crush on him, so I can be 100% objective :thumb:
Well...I liked Maps to the Stars so I guess we will just have to disagree on this. :wiggle: