Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: Movies

#21 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

Possibly the best dark comedic satire done since Network (maybe even better than Network). It felt Jonathan Swift could've written it. Simultaneously horrible and empathetic -- alienating. I said possibly, because maybe I read into it more than is there... Goldthwait seems to think he was saying something important.

... Not easy to watch.

He explains himself here: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
At one point he says: "You know, I'm not asking people to eat Irish children, you know, that's the point..." :rockon:

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Excellent, excellent movie. Best in a long time. Didn't care for the ending, but that's okay. Adurentibus, I think you would find it very funny/interesting.
Cumberland 4 - Alliance Cinemas
159 Cumberland Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎2:00‎ ‎4:40‎ ‎7:30‎

CO Sheppard Grande
4861 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎1:05‎ ‎4:20‎ ‎6:45‎ ‎9:25‎
:nod:

:waits:

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

mockbee wrote:Image
Excellent, excellent movie. Best in a long time. Didn't care for the ending, but that's okay. Adurentibus, I think you would find it very funny/interesting.
Cumberland 4 - Alliance Cinemas
159 Cumberland Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎2:00‎ ‎4:40‎ ‎7:30‎

CO Sheppard Grande
4861 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
‎1:05‎ ‎4:20‎ ‎6:45‎ ‎9:25‎
:nod:

:waits:
Oh right. :lol: I forgot. Thanks Mockbee. It's been a long couple of weeks... my brain is fried.

I thought the ending was perfect, btw.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Jasper wrote:Fuck that other thread - it's not in the goddamn section that says it's for movies. :balls:

I saw this last night. It was highly rated, but I'd put off watching it because the subject matter sounded depressing and dreary. It actually turned out to be a very lean thriller that was, in a way, a lot of fun. In any case, it delivers the thrills, so if you want to categorize that as fun, then it's fun. Sometimes I like to go into a movie cold, so the following diminutive sentence could be considered a type of spoiler, if you're a person who wants to know nothing about the plot of the movie:
Liam Neeson is trying to rescue his daughter from the sex slave trade in Eurpope.

So if you like a good old school thriller that doesn't drag at all, I'd check this out (unless you're Larry who appears to violently hate Liam Neeson, or perhaps even Irish people in general - who knows).

Anybody else see this?

you are probably the only person that didn't see it. like you said it was a fun movie.

how can anyone hate liam neeson?

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I just want to know if he's as well endowed as they say he is... have heard so many jokes about it

creep
Site Admin

#26 Post by creep » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 pm

well...as jasper said he is irish and i'm sure you have heard of "the irish curse" so who knows if the rumors are true.

Larry B.

#27 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:12 am

Jasper wrote: So if you like a good old school thriller that doesn't drag at all, I'd check this out (unless you're Larry who appears to violently hate Liam Neeson, or perhaps even Irish people in general - who knows).
:hs: :hs: When have I ever said that? I'd usually skip a movie with him on it, because I think he sucks... but I don't hate him :noclue:

A couple of days ago I saw 'Enter the Void'. Nice visual experiment, but I'd say it's a bad movie. Boring. It's 160 minutes long and the storyline could hardly be describes as a storyline.

Pure Method

#28 Post by Pure Method » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:29 am

agreed on Enter the Void: so beautiful, so terrible. worth watching though.

mockbee

#29 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I thought the story was really well crafted and half way through, I thought, this is a really good movie. I found the end trite, and kind of like they just ran out of ideas and thought 'well we gotta end this somehow' and that's what they came up with.

What did you get out of it?

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:25 pm

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I thought the story was really well crafted and half way through, I thought, this is a really good movie. I found the end trite, and kind of like they just ran out of ideas and thought 'well we gotta end this somehow' and that's what they came up with.

What did you get out of it?
People are determined. :nod:

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm

not a movie but did anyone else see "girls" last night on hbo? the previews made it look sorta dumb but i gave it a try and i really liked it.
Summary: Hannah, Jessa, Marnie, and Shoshanna are four 20-something girls living in New York and trying to figure out life, love, and themselves in the HBO series created by Lena Dunham.
episode 1 is on youtube. check it out.

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Summary: Hannah, Jessa, Marnie, and Shoshanna are four 20-something girls living in New York and trying to figure out life, love, and themselves in the HBO series created by Lena Dunham.

Xizen47

#33 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 pm

creep wrote:not a movie but did anyone else see "girls" last night on hbo? the previews made it look sorta dumb but i gave it a try and i really liked it.
after that Eastbound and Down joke of a series finale last night, i was done.

I'll probably watch this though. Any HBO series is worth a shot imo :nod:

Pandemonium

#34 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Larry B. wrote:Image
The guy 3rd from the right looks like a messed up clone of David Duchovny.

Hype

#35 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
DId you miss the entire 1990s? :confused: :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
"the guy". are you really trying to pretend that you are that cool and has never seen friends?

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm

That's David Schwimmer, Eric Avery's stunt double.

SR

#38 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

Possibly the best dark comedic satire done since Network (maybe even better than Network). It felt Jonathan Swift could've written it. Simultaneously horrible and empathetic -- alienating. I said possibly, because maybe I read into it more than is there... Goldthwait seems to think he was saying something important.

... Not easy to watch.

He explains himself here: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
At one point he says: "You know, I'm not asking people to eat Irish children, you know, that's the point..." :rockon:
I didn't see the film there, but then again I can't find ES's page anymore. :cona:

dali

#39 Post by dali » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Temple Grandin

Hype

#40 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I am just finishing "God Bless America" (thanks to ES for posting the video on FB). Holy shit. :neutral:

... Not easy to watch.

I didn't see the film there, but then again I can't find ES's page anymore. :cona:
http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with

Pandemonium

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
"the guy". are you really trying to pretend that you are that cool and has never seen friends?
I had no idea that was the cast of Friends. I do recognize Aniston but no, I've never watched Friends. I sure can't brag about being "cool" when I have every season of X-Files, Star Trek Next Generation and Seinfeld on dvd. That was pretty much the extent of the tv series I watched from the late 80's through the mid 90's.

SR

#42 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:

... Not easy to watch.

http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... agree-with
Good interview. I thought the film was there.

Hype

#43 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh, no... the film is... elsewhere.

SR

#44 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Oh, no... the film is... elsewhere.
:lol: Yes, it is.

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I saw exactly one episode of Friends, and that was all I needed to confirm that it was a vile piece of garbage targeted at cubical-dwelling drones.

Hype was pretty young at the time, so maybe we can overlook the fact that he dearly loves the show (and Bush), but old man creep has no such excuse for counting Friends as his all-time favorite.