Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Message
Author
User avatar
Larry B.
Posts: 6817
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1881 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Went to see "Ready Player One" today.

I thought it was really good, regardless of a few weak moments. Definitely the best videogame-related movie I've ever seen. It's warm, entertaining, and with the right amount of deepness for a very uneducated population and kids. It touches on topics like the structure of society, wanting to avoid reality, communication and relationships in the modern world... really sweet.

I'll give it a 7/10. Go watch it.

User avatar
Matz
Posts: 3580
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1882 Post by Matz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 am

Gone girl, amateurish piece of shit, even with that "cute" little twist thrown in where we find out that the wife is psychopath :jasper: :crazy: :sui:

and Reznor's soundtrack sucks of course, he has such a limited palette to work with when it comes to scoring, has he come to his senses and returned that Oscar of his btw?

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1883 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 am

Matz wrote:Gone girl, amateurish piece of shit, even with that "cute" little twist thrown in where we find out that the wife is psychopath :jasper: :crazy: :sui:

and Reznor's soundtrack sucks of course, he has such a limited palette to work with when it comes to scoring, has he come to his senses and returned that Oscar of his btw?
I agree with you about this movie. I couldn't understand why people liked it so much. It was grotesque, and not in a good way. The "twist" was lame, and the acting was absolutely terrible.

User avatar
Xizen47
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1884 Post by Xizen47 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am

I think people just want to like David Fincher movies too much. After the success of Seven and Fight Club, it's like he gets a pass when he puts out crap. Like Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson and Tool

User avatar
kv
Posts: 7201
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1885 Post by kv » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:45 am

What crap did Wes Anderson put out? :hs:

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5214
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1886 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:38 pm

creep wrote:I saw "game night". It was pretty funny.

I laughed so hard watching this...
Any Mazinger Z fans? I used to love watching the cartoons when I was a kid. Big fan of Baron Ashura or Ashler as we knew him/her here. Had a blast watching this in 4DX.

clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1887 Post by clickie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Sicario 2 trailer. Trailers been out a while but haven't seen it posted here. Looks pretty lame without Villeneuve.




clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1888 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:57 am

kv wrote:What crap did Wes Anderson put out? :hs:
I hope he didn't mean this one


User avatar
chaos
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1889 Post by chaos » Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 am


User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1890 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 pm

chaos wrote:
That actually looks surprisingly good. Still think it's not a good idea to end the movie with Queen's Live Aid performance instead of following through with Mercury's eventual death from AIDS and reportedly straightwashing Freddy's homosexuality.

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1891 Post by Pandemonium » Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Today was one of those rare days I had a free day, no work, no errands so I caught a morning showing of Avengers Infinity War. Of course, being a superhero comics-based movie, it's tons of often mind numbing CGI crash bang boom battles and due to the shifting characters and sub-plots, even moreso than most of these kind of movies. That said, it's among the top tier of this genre fwiw right to the unusually effective downbeat ending.

I was a pretty big Marvel Comics guy from between 1969 through the late 80's and most of the early 70's stuff when new guys like Bernie Wrightson, Barry Smith, Frank Brunner and of course, Jim Starlin made their mark is virtually imprinted in my DNA

Thus, I was generally really pleased how well this movie integrated both original and later character and story elements concerning Thanos in a fairly cohesive movie. I liked that Dr. Strange played such a large role in the film and I think the story overall did an amazing job balancing the army of characters, even some lesser ones. I think the realization of Thanos is one of the best translations of a comics character to screen right up there with Christopher Reeve's version of Superman especially considering Thanos is a CGI creation. One small gripe was how short the pre-credits Thanos vs Hulk battle was. Guys like Steve Rogers and Spider-Man gave Thanos more of a workout.

IMO, this is probably my favorite Marvel movie.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5214
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1892 Post by perkana » Tue May 22, 2018 5:52 pm

perkana wrote: Can't wait for the Han Solo movie even though I'm not thrilled about the actor they cast as Lando Calrissian. I still don't see it. I love Donald Glover but he really needs to get bigger...
Image
I'm going to give Donald Glover a chance now that he has Billy Dee Williams stamp of approval. And watching it will be like an early birthday present :bday:

clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1893 Post by clickie » Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 am

perkana wrote:
perkana wrote: Can't wait for the Han Solo movie even though I'm not thrilled about the actor they cast as Lando Calrissian. I still don't see it. I love Donald Glover but he really needs to get bigger...
Image
I'm going to give Donald Glover a chance now that he has Billy Dee Williams stamp of approval. And watching it will be like an early birthday present :bday:
The cast of Ghostbusters gave their stamp of approval on a remake also and that turned into a disaster. I don't understand why they're declaring Lando is pansexual now.

clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1894 Post by clickie » Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 am

Pandemonium wrote:Today was one of those rare days I had a free day, no work, no errands so I caught a morning showing of Avengers Infinity War. Of course, being a superhero comics-based movie, it's tons of often mind numbing CGI crash bang boom battles and due to the shifting characters and sub-plots, even moreso than most of these kind of movies. That said, it's among the top tier of this genre fwiw right to the unusually effective downbeat ending.

I was a pretty big Marvel Comics guy from between 1969 through the late 80's and most of the early 70's stuff when new guys like Bernie Wrightson, Barry Smith, Frank Brunner and of course, Jim Starlin made their mark is virtually imprinted in my DNA

Thus, I was generally really pleased how well this movie integrated both original and later character and story elements concerning Thanos in a fairly cohesive movie. I liked that Dr. Strange played such a large role in the film and I think the story overall did an amazing job balancing the army of characters, even some lesser ones. I think the realization of Thanos is one of the best translations of a comics character to screen right up there with Christopher Reeve's version of Superman especially considering Thanos is a CGI creation. One small gripe was how short the pre-credits Thanos vs Hulk battle was. Guys like Steve Rogers and Spider-Man gave Thanos more of a workout.

IMO, this is probably my favorite Marvel movie.

Hey Panda you mentioned this is your favorite Marvel movie, what was your favorite before this?

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1895 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 pm

clickie wrote:Hey Panda you mentioned this is your favorite Marvel movie, what was your favorite before this?
Of the Disney/Marvel batch, Dr Strange. Of all the Marvel character movies, maybe Spider-Man 2 (the one with Dr Octopus).

I really hated all the Fantastic Four movies. My favorite comic back in the day with a ton of great stories and great characters like Dr Doom and The Silver Surfer and Hollywood just fucked that shit up like nobody's business.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5214
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1896 Post by perkana » Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am

clickie wrote:
The cast of Ghostbusters gave their stamp of approval on a remake also and that turned into a disaster. I don't understand why they're declaring Lando is pansexual now.
I really liked the all female GB remake :noclue:
Well, what's wrong with him being pansexual? I can see that, not that I cared about fantasy characters sexual orientation when I was a kid. But I can understand nowadays why people are trying to have characters they can identify with in books and movies. It's like when J.K. Rowling said Dumbledore was gay. Some people said that a fantasy character couldn't have a sexual orientation. Like who fucking cares, she says he was and I don't think it has to change his character nature.

User avatar
farrellgirl99
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1897 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 am



i saw disobedience a few days ago. i wouldn't really recommend it. strong acting, rachel mcadams was very good. but the drama never really escalated enough. i felt like it had potential but just kinda flatlined throughout.

clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1898 Post by clickie » Thu May 31, 2018 10:08 am

perkana wrote:
clickie wrote:
The cast of Ghostbusters gave their stamp of approval on a remake also and that turned into a disaster. I don't understand why they're declaring Lando is pansexual now.
I really liked the all female GB remake :noclue:
Well, what's wrong with him being pansexual? I can see that, not that I cared about fantasy characters sexual orientation when I was a kid. But I can understand nowadays why people are trying to have characters they can identify with in books and movies. It's like when J.K. Rowling said Dumbledore was gay. Some people said that a fantasy character couldn't have a sexual orientation. Like who fucking cares, she says he was and I don't think it has to change his character nature.
I like the cast of the new Ghostbusters also, all four of them. I would have loved to see them in something original. Remaking a hit comedy or remaking any hit movie but swapping genders seems lazy on everyones part.

clickie
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1899 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:01 pm

perkana wrote:
clickie wrote:
The cast of Ghostbusters gave their stamp of approval on a remake also and that turned into a disaster. I don't understand why they're declaring Lando is pansexual now.
I really liked the all female GB remake :noclue:
Well, what's wrong with him being pansexual? I can see that, not that I cared about fantasy characters sexual orientation when I was a kid. But I can understand nowadays why people are trying to have characters they can identify with in books and movies. It's like when J.K. Rowling said Dumbledore was gay. Some people said that a fantasy character couldn't have a sexual orientation. Like who fucking cares, she says he was and I don't think it has to change his character nature.
Nothings wrong with Lando being pansexual I just felt it was an odd thing to bring up as part of his characterization.

User avatar
nausearockpig
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1900 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 am

I saw Solo on the weekend. Liked it a lot. Way more than that average-as Rogue One.

Post Reply