Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
kv

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1921 Post by kv » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 am

guysmiley wrote:
clickie wrote:I remember one time about 10 years ago I was at the movies and during the previews they would play a fake ringtone ringing on the movie screen to alert you as a reminder to turn your phone off. So some dude thought it was his phone ringing and checked every seat in the theater while we were trying to explain to this guy what was going on.
Meth is a hell of a drug I hear.
One of the absolute worst...I can't imagine ever wanting to go the movies on it

Pandemonium

#1922 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

kv wrote:
guysmiley wrote:Meth is a hell of a drug I hear.
One of the absolute worst...I can't imagine ever wanting to go the movies on it
My best friend back in the 80's would occasionally drop acid at concerts or movies, not telling me until usually a big "surprise" moment ... like when he started freaking out. I know I've related the story when we were at a concert before, it was Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul at The Country Club in Reseda. I had picked him up from his job (he was a customs house broker at the time) so he went in his business suit and it was really hot inside the venue. Mid-way through the show, I mentioned he was sweating like a pig and that it looked like his face was melting only to have him inform me that he had taken several hits and of course, started freaking out.

Same thing happened when we saw this art-house horror movie, A Company Of Wolves. This scene, he starts freaking out and I had to almost drag him out the theater exit.....

clickie

#1923 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Its nice to see those practical effects instead of CGI which is in most movies nowadays.

chaos

#1924 Post by chaos » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 am

Another trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody:

farrellgirl99

#1925 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm

i watched Phantom Thread recently. I loved it. Excellent acting and just the right amount of weird.

Hype

#1926 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 am

I just watched Swiss Army Man.

https://variety.com/2016/film/news/dani ... 201744802/

I think it could have been better if it hadn't been trying so hard to be... something, but I'm not sure what. I kept wanting to give up on it because it would get tedious and cringe-worthy, but then there'd be an interesting moment or a scene and I'd think "okay, I'll see where this goes". It didn't really go anywhere.

Artemis

#1927 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am

After a few days of trying for tickets for the midnight showing of Halloween at the Toronto film festival, I finally got some late in the afternoon yesterday.

The new Halloween is a direct sequel to the original, 40 years later -disregard all the othes.
I don't want to say too much only that it was really good and exceeded my expectations. The storyline, or attempted story for the "new Dr Loomis" was my only complaint.
The fans will not be disappinted.

A few pics...

Jamie Lee Curtis arriving at the theatre.

After the movie for Q&A

Michael Myers even made an appearance.

clickie

#1928 Post by clickie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48 am

Wow that's really cool Artemis. Nice pics too.

About ten years ago I was lucky enough to see David Patrick Kelly at a local theatre with a Q&A afterwards. He's the guy from The Warriors and 48 hours and Commando. No one else really showed up so it was just me and him talking for about a half hour. One of the nicest people i've ever met.

Artemis

#1929 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Artemis wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm
This doc looks really good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/movi ... ntary.html

Review: The Surreal, Heartbreaking Case of ‘Three Identical Strangers’

The title “Three Identical Strangers” is somewhat of a giveaway in a documentary that’s best watched knowing as little as possible about its specifics. So, tread (and read) lightly! Engrossing, and sometimes enraging, the movie tells of triplets who, after being adopted separately at birth, were reunited by happenstance. None of the men — or their families — knew about the others, which naturally led to questions and has inspired the director Tim Wardle to turn their mysterious history into a detective story in reverse, one that begins with the seeming denouement (the happy reunion) and then moves back and forth across time.

Older viewers may find themselves nodding along, remembering the triplets story as fragments emerge. In 1980, Robert Shafran, 19 at the time, arrived at Sullivan County Community College in New York for his freshman year and was surprised that everyone was so warmly welcoming. Students smilingly greeted him, clapping him on the back. Some girls kissed him, he remembers, and everyone called him Eddy. Mr. Shafran was in his dorm room when another student, Michael Domnitz, excitedly told him that he must be a twin. There was a hasty phone call, a long drive into the night and an emotional reunion with Eddy Galland, Mr. Domnitz’s friend and Mr. Shafran’s unsettling double.

Mr. Wardle brings you into this grabber of a story effortlessly with a lively, nimble mix of archival imagery, contemporary interviews and some unnecessary fictional re-creations. The story he tells grows exponentially more complicated with the emergence of another look-alike, David Kellman, and — just like that, these newly acquainted twins are now triplets. In a 1980 article in The New York Times about the men, one of their surprised mothers, Claire Kellman, said, “They talk the same, they laugh the same, they hold their cigarettes the same — it’s uncanny.” She also said that she had learned about the other brothers (after the story broke) from Louise Wise Services, the agency that had placed the babies.

The Times quoted a spokesman for Louise Wise, which specialized in Jewish adoptions, saying that the agency was “not at liberty to discuss the case.” But it had much to explain. First, though, Mr. Wardle tracks the fun stuff that happened after the brothers were reunited, in those giddy days when, as one of them puts it now, they were falling in love. In 1980, their story was as unclouded as it was irresistible. They were good looking and graced with curly halos and dazzling smiles that seemed bright enough to blot out every worry. The tabloids loved them. They even popped up with Madonna in “Desperately Seeking Susan,” leaning against a wall with mirrored grins and threads.

The revelations about the brothers, their similar habits and quirks, not only stoked the media firestorm but also led to discussions about genetics and the influence of environment. On “The Phil Donahue Show,” the brothers sauntered out in near lock step, again in matching outfits, and answered questions in unison. As the audience tittered appreciatively, they said that they all smoked Marlboros and claimed to share similar taste in women. There were ripples disturbing the uniform picture they were helping create — one brother had been implicated in a crime — but their resemblances were charming and funny if a bit eerie. Nature seemed to have won this round over nurture.

Nothing, though, would prove easy or obvious about their stories, which grow darker and more disturbing as “Three Identical Strangers” develops into a shocker. Puzzle piece by piece, interview by interview, Mr. Wardle fits together a grim story of hubristic doctors and their grotesquely unprincipled enablers who played with human lives in the name of science. It’s an ugly, familiar story as well as a historically specific one that has partly been told before by The New Yorker journalist Lawrence Wright (who appears here); in Lori Shinseki’s documentary “The Twinning Reaction”; and in “Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited,” by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein.

“Three Identical Strangers” is the latest chapter in a larger, sprawling chronicle of abuse that, in certain queasy moments, invokes memories of Josef Mengele and his twin experiments. Mr. Wardle relates that story smoothly and persuasively, but his telling sometimes provokes more questions than it answers. And there are instances in some of the fictional re-creations when he seems more invested in delivering an entertaining documentary than an informative one. During one stormy night dramatization, he deepens the shadows and cranks the suspense, embellishing material that — as this fine documentary makes clear — is already the stuff of fraught, memorable drama.
Finally saw Three Identical Strangers- really good! One of the best docs I've seen this year. It's really worth a watch.

A couple of other good docs I saw recently: 'Won't you Be My Neighbor?" and 'Studio 54'. :thumb:

Artemis

#1930 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Artemis wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm
This doc looks really good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/movi ... ntary.html

Review: The Surreal, Heartbreaking Case of ‘Three Identical Strangers’

The title “Three Identical Strangers” is somewhat of a giveaway in a documentary that’s best watched knowing as little as possible about its specifics. So, tread (and read) lightly! Engrossing, and sometimes enraging, the movie tells of triplets who, after being adopted separately at birth, were reunited by happenstance. None of the men — or their families — knew about the others, which naturally led to questions and has inspired the director Tim Wardle to turn their mysterious history into a detective story in reverse, one that begins with the seeming denouement (the happy reunion) and then moves back and forth across time.

Older viewers may find themselves nodding along, remembering the triplets story as fragments emerge. In 1980, Robert Shafran, 19 at the time, arrived at Sullivan County Community College in New York for his freshman year and was surprised that everyone was so warmly welcoming. Students smilingly greeted him, clapping him on the back. Some girls kissed him, he remembers, and everyone called him Eddy. Mr. Shafran was in his dorm room when another student, Michael Domnitz, excitedly told him that he must be a twin. There was a hasty phone call, a long drive into the night and an emotional reunion with Eddy Galland, Mr. Domnitz’s friend and Mr. Shafran’s unsettling double.

Mr. Wardle brings you into this grabber of a story effortlessly with a lively, nimble mix of archival imagery, contemporary interviews and some unnecessary fictional re-creations. The story he tells grows exponentially more complicated with the emergence of another look-alike, David Kellman, and — just like that, these newly acquainted twins are now triplets. In a 1980 article in The New York Times about the men, one of their surprised mothers, Claire Kellman, said, “They talk the same, they laugh the same, they hold their cigarettes the same — it’s uncanny.” She also said that she had learned about the other brothers (after the story broke) from Louise Wise Services, the agency that had placed the babies.

The Times quoted a spokesman for Louise Wise, which specialized in Jewish adoptions, saying that the agency was “not at liberty to discuss the case.” But it had much to explain. First, though, Mr. Wardle tracks the fun stuff that happened after the brothers were reunited, in those giddy days when, as one of them puts it now, they were falling in love. In 1980, their story was as unclouded as it was irresistible. They were good looking and graced with curly halos and dazzling smiles that seemed bright enough to blot out every worry. The tabloids loved them. They even popped up with Madonna in “Desperately Seeking Susan,” leaning against a wall with mirrored grins and threads.

The revelations about the brothers, their similar habits and quirks, not only stoked the media firestorm but also led to discussions about genetics and the influence of environment. On “The Phil Donahue Show,” the brothers sauntered out in near lock step, again in matching outfits, and answered questions in unison. As the audience tittered appreciatively, they said that they all smoked Marlboros and claimed to share similar taste in women. There were ripples disturbing the uniform picture they were helping create — one brother had been implicated in a crime — but their resemblances were charming and funny if a bit eerie. Nature seemed to have won this round over nurture.

Nothing, though, would prove easy or obvious about their stories, which grow darker and more disturbing as “Three Identical Strangers” develops into a shocker. Puzzle piece by piece, interview by interview, Mr. Wardle fits together a grim story of hubristic doctors and their grotesquely unprincipled enablers who played with human lives in the name of science. It’s an ugly, familiar story as well as a historically specific one that has partly been told before by The New Yorker journalist Lawrence Wright (who appears here); in Lori Shinseki’s documentary “The Twinning Reaction”; and in “Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited,” by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein.

“Three Identical Strangers” is the latest chapter in a larger, sprawling chronicle of abuse that, in certain queasy moments, invokes memories of Josef Mengele and his twin experiments. Mr. Wardle relates that story smoothly and persuasively, but his telling sometimes provokes more questions than it answers. And there are instances in some of the fictional re-creations when he seems more invested in delivering an entertaining documentary than an informative one. During one stormy night dramatization, he deepens the shadows and cranks the suspense, embellishing material that — as this fine documentary makes clear — is already the stuff of fraught, memorable drama.
Finally saw Three Identical Strangers- really good! One of the best docs I've seen this year. It's really worth a watch.

A couple of other good docs I saw recently: 'Won't you Be My Neighbor?" and 'Studio 54'. :thumb:

wally

#1931 Post by wally » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am

gonna go check this out on Saturday

perkana

#1932 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:18 pm

I highly recommend the new Gael García Bernal movie. It's based on the robbery of the National Archaeology Museum in 1985.
Too many 80's nostalgia and funny stuff that actually happened in real life. P.S. It's going to be on YouTube premium soon.

clickie

#1933 Post by clickie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 am

Hey Perk have you seen The King? I'd call it an above average movie with a great cast

Bandit72

#1934 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 am

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody on Saturday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, more than that. I'm not a HUGE Queen fan, but this film was perfect.

perkana

#1935 Post by perkana » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:06 pm

I agree...
For the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to get tickets for Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma". It sells out the day they're out, anywhere. It will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 16, but I really wanted to see it in a movie theater with Dolby Atmos sound system since it doesn't have a music score, only background noises.

perkana

#1936 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 am

clickie wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 am
Hey Perk have you seen The King? I'd call it an above average movie with a great cast

nope, but now I will, thanks for sharing,

perkana

#1937 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am

Hype wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 am

I think it could have been better if it hadn't been trying so hard to be... something, but I'm not sure what. I kept wanting to give up on it because it would get tedious and cringe-worthy, but then there'd be an interesting moment or a scene and I'd think "okay, I'll see where this goes". It didn't really go anywhere.
Talking about Paul Dano, I just found out about his movie as a director. Looks really good

Artemis

#1938 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 am

Bodied was really enjoyable. If you decide to check it out, give it about 15 minutes. It's got got some ups and downs, but overall, I thought it was pretty good. The dude from Vandal stars in this and is produced by Eminem. Basically, it's a social commentary on PC culture, freedom of speech. And, it's funny. Directed by Joseph Kahn.

A review, in case anybody is interested to read:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bodied-2018

clickie

#1939 Post by clickie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am

perkana wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am
Hype wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 am

Talking about Paul Dano, I just found out about his movie as a director. Looks really good

Wildlife reminded of the 80's comedy called The Wildlife I saw at the theatres when I was a kid.
It was written by Cameron Crowe and came out a couple years after Fast Times, but instead of Sean Penn it had his brother Chris.
Also had the kid from Weird Science who i've never seen in anything else except these two, and a young Lea Thompson who was an early crush for me.
They tried to start a new catch phrase "it's casual", or maybe that was a phrase being used out West I dunno but it never really caught on elsewhere.
Up the Creek was a good one too from that same time period.

clickie

#1940 Post by clickie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am

This short Vietnam documentary is pretty good. It's not new but i'd never seen it until yesterday.
The one dude Michael Herr who shares being interviewed along with a few other vets, co-wrote the screenplay for Full Metal Jacket and wrote the narration for Apocalypse Now.
It's pretty heavy stuff. That's the whole thing posted below.

perkana

#1941 Post by perkana » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 pm

perkana wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:06 pm
I agree...
For the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to get tickets for Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma". It sells out the day they're out, anywhere. It will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 16, but I really wanted to see it in a movie theater with Dolby Atmos sound system since it doesn't have a music score, only background noises.
Watched it in a movie theater and on Netflix. Both times 4k resolution and 7.1 surround sound in movie theater. I recommend listening at 75% volume because it's mostly background noises.
If you are still undecided, read this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source ... 9800068214

perkana

#1942 Post by perkana » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Last week I won tickets for "Life itself". Oh, boy. I used to love movies with people dying of cancer and all, but this was too much. It was written by the guy of "This is Us". If I had watched the show before, I guess I would have known it was going to be sort of depressing.

Larry B.

#1943 Post by Larry B. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm

I went to see “The House That Jack Built.” I’d place it below Melancholia, Nymphomaniac and Antichrist and Dogville, but it’s still very good. The last chapter is visually stunning.

6.5/10

clickie

#1944 Post by clickie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Here's Barack Obama's top favorite movies of 2018. I haven't seen a single one. Roma on my list though since Perkana recommended it.

Annihilation
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Blindspotting
Burning
The Death of Stalin
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
Leave No Trace
Minding the Gap
The Rider
Roma
Shoplifters
Support the Girls
Won't You be My Neighbor

Matz

#1945 Post by Matz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 pm

gave Godfather 1 another chance after I hadn' watched it in about five years. Back then I actually gave my box set containing 1, 2, 3 away because I was sure I was never ever gonna waste another minute watching these movies again. Still hate it. Why the fuck tons of people out there see this slow moving, boring, lifeless piece of shit as the best movie ever made, way ahead of ALL other movies and as an acting masterclass is such a fuckin mystery to me. What?! We don't have a suicide emoticon anymore?! Fuck