Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Message
Author
User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6579
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1961 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am
Matz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 am
creep wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Matz wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm
creep wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm
Matz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 pm
gave Godfather 1 another chance after I hadn' watched it in about five years. Back then I actually gave my box set containing 1, 2, 3 away because I was sure I was never ever gonna waste another minute watching these movies again. Still hate it. Why the fuck tons of people out there see this slow moving, boring, lifeless piece of shit as the best movie ever made, way ahead of ALL other movies and as an acting masterclass is such a fuckin mystery to me. What?! We don't have a suicide emoticon anymore?! Fuck
:crazy:
I'm not alone. A review from Rotten tomatoes:

"I found that flogging about for three hours in that quagmire was spiritually debilitating and a crazy waste of time."
You are pretty much alone. It has a 98% RT score for audiences and critics. 100 on metacritic. :hs:
I'm guessing that about 60% of them say they think it's the greatest movie of all time, because it's somehow become the cool thing to say, not because they really mean it.
Goodfellas and Casino are WAY better as far as 'gangster' movies go. IMO.
Maybe it's a mistake to think that The Godfather is a "gangster" movie in the first place.
The film changed Hollywood because it finally changed the way Italians were depicted on film. It made Italians seem like more fully realized people and not stereotypes. It was a film in Hollywood made by Italians about Italians. Previously, it had not been Italians making the mobster films featuring Italian gangsters.

I feel it helped Italianize American culture. All of a sudden, everyone was talking about Don Corleone and making jokes about, “I am going to make you an offer you can’t refuse.” I think it helped people see that in this depiction of Italian-Americans was a reflection of their own immigrant experience, whether they were Irish or Jews from Eastern Europe. They found that common ground.


Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... kD8ZrF2.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
It's easy to forget (or not know) how different America was in the 1970s, when people were still using racial slurs of all kinds pretty openly, and Catholics were considered "ethnic". I think it's fair to say that The Godfather played a role (post-JFK) in normalizing Catholic-Americans as legitimate Americans.

These are not exactly aesthetic or cinematographic reasons to appreciate the original movie, which is almost FIFTY years old. Maybe modern viewing doesn't have the stamina to sit through 3 hours of human drama. I know I find it difficult to go back and watch classic movies that I loved as a kid. There's too much cool stuff on my phone. :lol: But seriously, I can understand not liking The Godfather. I know people who hate Seinfeld or All In The Family despite them being widely respected as two of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Sometimes reasons for disliking something have nothing to do with the objective quality of the thing. :noclue:

clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1962 Post by clickie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 am

If you thought The Godfather was boring wait until you get a load of The Deer Hunter

User avatar
Matz
Posts: 3683
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1963 Post by Matz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am
Matz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 am
creep wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm
Matz wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm
creep wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm
Matz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 pm
gave Godfather 1 another chance after I hadn' watched it in about five years. Back then I actually gave my box set containing 1, 2, 3 away because I was sure I was never ever gonna waste another minute watching these movies again. Still hate it. Why the fuck tons of people out there see this slow moving, boring, lifeless piece of shit as the best movie ever made, way ahead of ALL other movies and as an acting masterclass is such a fuckin mystery to me. What?! We don't have a suicide emoticon anymore?! Fuck
:crazy:
I'm not alone. A review from Rotten tomatoes:

"I found that flogging about for three hours in that quagmire was spiritually debilitating and a crazy waste of time."
You are pretty much alone. It has a 98% RT score for audiences and critics. 100 on metacritic. :hs:
I'm guessing that about 60% of them say they think it's the greatest movie of all time, because it's somehow become the cool thing to say, not because they really mean it.
Goodfellas and Casino are WAY better as far as 'gangster' movies go. IMO.
I love Casino, great, great drama and performances.It's my favorite Scorsese movie by far. I haven't watched Goodfellas in a long time even though it's in my collection, I need to revisit it soon.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 8864
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1964 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm

I haven't seen Casino. Goodfellas is great. It's one of those movies for me that I can watch over and over and not tire of it.

With regards to the Godfather, I think it must be viewed at a movie theatre for the full effect. A big thing is the lighting and how it's shot. Watching on a tv screen isn't as good, imo.

clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1965 Post by clickie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 am

State of Grace was pretty cool, especially if you're a fan of Gary Oldman. The movie was over looked because it came out the same time as Goodfellas.





User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1966 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:28 am

Artemis wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 am

Out of that list I've seen Won't You Be My Neighbor and Blindspotting. Both were really good, enjoyed Won't You Be My Neighbor more.

I saw that Sandra Bullock movie Bird Box and really liked it. It's on Netflix now..

She's my idol, her costar was incredible and gorgeous :love:
And loved the memes about it :lol:
Image

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1967 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am

clickie wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm
Here's Barack Obama's top favorite movies of 2018. I haven't seen a single one. Roma on my list though since Perkana recommended it.
It's not for everyone, some people here in Mexico didn't get it. I guess they don't have a heart :nyrexall:
Guillermo del Toro explained it very well on twitter. I could post the rest, but it's a bit spoilerish. Maybe read them after watching the movie.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1968 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 am

Artemis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 am
Bandit72 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:46 am
Artemis wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 am
creep wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:44 am
Artemis wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 am


I saw that Sandra Bullock movie Bird Box and really liked it. It's on Netflix now..

I keep seeing people say how terrible bird box is. I think it is cool and hip to say you hate it. It's not going to win any awards but it was an entertaining movie. :noclue:
Exactly. I thought they did a pretty good job with suspense. I was hooked the whole time watching it. I did not expect that ending.
In one line, what's it about? Saw this and thought I'd watch it but was put off by negative comments.
Basically, some kind of supernatural force takes over the world that makes people want to inflict violence on themselves or others if they look at it directly. The movie is set over a few time periods and the survivors survive by not looking at this thing directly and try to escape it.
Reminded me a bit of "Lost" (at least the supernatural force)

creep
Site Admin
Posts: 9599
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1969 Post by creep » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

perkana wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm
Last week I won tickets for "Life itself". Oh, boy. I used to love movies with people dying of cancer and all, but this was too much. It was written by the guy of "This is Us". If I had watched the show before, I guess I would have known it was going to be sort of depressing.
I watched this last night. It got horrible reviews but I thought it was decent. I've never seen "this is us" though.

User avatar
Larry B.
Posts: 6891
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1970 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 am

I watched “The Favourite” the other day, I thought it was pretty good. Interesting characters, good performances, compelling story and beautiful direction. If you can, watch it! 7/10

I also saw good reviews for “Hereditary”, so I gave it a go. Well, for 20 minutes, because my parience ran out. Absolute shit, there’s no good reason to watch it. The acting it shit, there is no story for 20 minutes, and everyone tries too hard. Avoid if you can. 2.5/10

Finally, I had to subtitle a Doug Benson “movie” (I’m using that term way too generously). I couldn’t believe this guy was a “comedian”! The only people who laugh (and rather sporadically too) at his “jokes” are his stoner friends. The movie I worked on was “Chronic-Con Episode 420: A Fan’s Dope”. What an unfunny and dislikeable character. As an audience, we are expected to laugh because this guy smokes weed. Besides, the guy is clearly neurologically disturbed, either by his consumption or something else. A pointless “film”, that I don’t know how it got funded. 1/10.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1971 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm

New Danny Boyle movie. Looks good, tbh

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5264
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1972 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

So I finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody on Blu-ray. I’m not really a super knowledgeable fan as far as their personal lives are concerned but I know enough about the band mostly from a musical standpoint and actually saw them back in the day for the 1980 Game and 1982 Hot Space tours.

Right away some of the historical and timeline inaccuracies that I *am* aware of kind of bugged me. I get that liberties were taken for dramatic effect but compressing Mercury’s AIDS diagnosis and illness to kind of set up Live Aid as a dramatic end was a bit too much (Mercury didn't even contract HIV until several years *after* Live Aid in '85 and the band did one more major tour and recorded several albums before Mercury died in 1991). In many ways, the movie plays out as a series of often inaccurate Cliff Notes episodes of key events in the band and creation of several key songs. But the focus is almost 100% on "Freddy" and for better or worse, doesn't shy away from his bisexuality. One nice touch was the opening 20th Century Fox fanfare was done apparently by Brian May and Roger Taylor in the style of Queen's "God Save The Queen" cover.

In my opinion, what made the movie decent was the actors playing Freddy and especially Brian May, much like Val Kilmer who was the best thing about The Doors movie. Like that movie, Bohemian Rhapsody is certainly entertaining but I think The Doors was a overall at least a more dramatically cohesive film. I initially thought Malik's dental prosthesis was almost cartoonishly over the top but seeing some photos of Freddy around 9 years old, his teeth *really* were that bad.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1973 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 am
I also saw good reviews for “Hereditary”, so I gave it a go. Well, for 20 minutes, because my parience ran out. Absolute shit, there’s no good reason to watch it. The acting it shit, there is no story for 20 minutes, and everyone tries too hard. Avoid if you can. 2.5/10
You are not alone. I watched it till the end, but yeah, not my cup of tea.

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5264
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1974 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm

perkana wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Larry B. wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 am
I also saw good reviews for “Hereditary”, so I gave it a go. Well, for 20 minutes, because my parience ran out. Absolute shit, there’s no good reason to watch it. The acting it shit, there is no story for 20 minutes, and everyone tries too hard. Avoid if you can. 2.5/10
You are not alone. I watched it till the end, but yeah, not my cup of tea.
I agree with both of you. Although I thought it built up decent tension up to the accident, the last third of the movie devolved into the usual recent horror tropes.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1975 Post by perkana » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

The girl was incredibly creepy. And the music really put you in a scary mood. But yeah, it was too predictible after the accident. I thought the actors were ok, but the movie made me wanna hurl instead of scream.
I saw today "Green Book". I really liked it. Great story and great performances. But "Roma" is still my favorite of 2018.

User avatar
perkana
Posts: 5309
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1976 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:35 am

I finally saw "Alita: Battle Angel", produced by James Cameron and directed by Robert Rodríguez. I can't complain, it was good. I'm not much into manga, but well, the cast was the reason I watched it. I kinda regret not watching it on 3D.

clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1977 Post by clickie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 am

Oh yeah I hear that's a movie you should definitely see in 3-d. I read that movie has to make 400 million world wide just to break even. I mention that because it seems like a lot of
people are going to see it but it's still kind of being treated like a flop.

clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1978 Post by clickie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 am

perkana wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm
The girl was incredibly creepy. And the music really put you in a scary mood. But yeah, it was too predictible after the accident. I thought the actors were ok, but the movie made me wanna hurl instead of scream.
I saw today "Green Book". I really liked it. Great story and great performances. But "Roma" is still my favorite of 2018.

I wonder if the girl will always be seen as the creepy girl from Hereditary her whole life. Kind of like Linda Blair with The Exorcist. It's one of the risks you take getting into acting.

clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1979 Post by clickie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm
So I finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody on Blu-ray. I’m not really a super knowledgeable fan as far as their personal lives are concerned but I know enough about the band mostly from a musical standpoint and actually saw them back in the day for the 1980 Game and 1982 Hot Space tours.

Right away some of the historical and timeline inaccuracies that I *am* aware of kind of bugged me. I get that liberties were taken for dramatic effect but compressing Mercury’s AIDS diagnosis and illness to kind of set up Live Aid as a dramatic end was a bit too much (Mercury didn't even contract HIV until several years *after* Live Aid in '85 and the band did one more major tour and recorded several albums before Mercury died in 1991). In many ways, the movie plays out as a series of often inaccurate Cliff Notes episodes of key events in the band and creation of several key songs. But the focus is almost 100% on "Freddy" and for better or worse, doesn't shy away from his bisexuality. One nice touch was the opening 20th Century Fox fanfare was done apparently by Brian May and Roger Taylor in the style of Queen's "God Save The Queen" cover.

In my opinion, what made the movie decent was the actors playing Freddy and especially Brian May, much like Val Kilmer who was the best thing about The Doors movie. Like that movie, Bohemian Rhapsody is certainly entertaining but I think The Doors was a overall at least a more dramatically cohesive film. I initially thought Malik's dental prosthesis was almost cartoonishly over the top but seeing some photos of Freddy around 9 years old, his teeth *really* were that bad.
I haven't seen the Queen movie but i'm surprised no one else comments about those inaccuracies. The Doors movie hasn't really aged well but yeah it's entertaining even though as a fan
youre not gonna learn much about the band. The other members say it's a bunch of bullshit. Val Kilmer was great, here he is warming up before the movie started shooting


clickie
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1980 Post by clickie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Artemis wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm
I haven't seen Casino. Goodfellas is great. It's one of those movies for me that I can watch over and over and not tire of it.

With regards to the Godfather, I think it must be viewed at a movie theatre for the full effect. A big thing is the lighting and how it's shot. Watching on a tv screen isn't as good, imo.




I can't believe you haven't seen Casino. Some people say it's better than Goodfellas. Sharon Stone very underrated actress in my opinion.





Post Reply