Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Message
Author
User avatar
Bandit72
Posts: 2711
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2041 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:27 am
creep wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:17 pm
i watched scarface for the first time last night. i have no idea why i haven't seen it before. pachino is great in it of course but other than that there is some really bad acting in it but i guess that is to be expected from a movie so old. decent movie.
When Scarface was first released, everyone at my job were big coke heads (partly because we worked the graveyard shift) and this instantly became everyone's favorite movie. I can't say how quickly the oft-repeated "Say hello to my little friend" quote grew to nails-on-chalkboard annoying.
That's another film I've never seen....In fact, here are a few more random ones I've never seen but I keep getting told are good.

Forrest Gump
The Matrix
Any of the Bourne films
Stand By Me

User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2042 Post by Mescal » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah, correct. They're all pretty good imo

clickie
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2043 Post by clickie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:13 am

Out of those movies Bandit, you gotta watch The Matrix

User avatar
Bandit72
Posts: 2711
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2044 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:32 am

clickie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:13 am
Out of those movies Bandit, you gotta watch The Matrix
Yeh, I keep telling myself this!

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 8999
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2045 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am

That's another film I've never seen....In fact, here are a few more random ones I've never seen but I keep getting told are good.

Forrest Gump
I saw Forrest Gump at the movie theatre when it came out and hated it! From what I recall,Forrest is a really lucky, mentally challenged, naive and inncocent man who goes through life experiencing incredible moments in American history. Maybe it was supposed to be like a fairy tale about the American Dream:conform, stick with the rules, don't rock the boat and you'll be a huge success. :noclue: It was a feel-good movie full of nostalgia for the baby boomers. Just thinking about it now makes me angry :mad: :lol: On the positive side, excellent soundtrack and good techincal qualities.

clickie
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2046 Post by clickie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:59 am

Sounds about right Artemis




User avatar
nausearockpig
Posts: 3720
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2047 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:43 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:32 am
clickie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:13 am
Out of those movies Bandit, you gotta watch The Matrix
Yeh, I keep telling myself this!
I remember going into see it not knowing a thing about it and walking out blown away.

I would suggest watching it tonight.

User avatar
Larry B.
Posts: 6966
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2048 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:35 am

I’m not sure it’s aged well, though. It was breathtaking when it came out, but since then Bandit has probably seen all the movie’s new tropes being played out elsewhere, as well as dozens of satirical takes on the movie.

From that list, I’d go with Forest Gump or the Matrix. Forest Gump has its moments if the story manages to grab
you. I only enjoyed it on my 3rd attempt at watching it.

clickie
Posts: 2830
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2049 Post by clickie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 am

This is a good movie if you haven't seen it




User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 8999
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2050 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Over the weekend, I saw the movie Midsommar by Ari Aster- loved it! It has a strong Wicker Man vibe.
The reviews have been mixed. I think because this is not a typical horror movie. I thought it was really well done; I left feeling a little unsettled and disturbed. :lol:
The director is the guy who did Hereditary which I haven't seen.



creep
Site Admin
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2051 Post by creep » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:39 pm

clickie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:55 pm
I was disappointed in it. It was OK but somewhat boring. I know you are supposed to love every movie he does but I just didn't love it. Lots of boring old movie re-creations and boring dialog.

Brad Pitt's character was far more interesting than Leo's. Go get popcorn when Leo is in a scene without Brad.

7/10

User avatar
Matz
Posts: 3743
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2052 Post by Matz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:30 am

artistically Tarantino has been following the same path as Perry. Amazing in the beginning of the nineties, now, and for the past many years, embarrassing

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2053 Post by SR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:09 am

The sun will have burned out by the time QT catches up to PF.

I went with my wife on Friday night...early bird 5:30 showing. It was packed and we had the choice between front or back row. Back row it is...sat down next to this has been/never was couple (even older than I am). The lady's denim is draped so that it's on my seat and shared armrest...they are eating out of a plastic bag and according to my wife sippin their libations. I didn't get that far; she was chompin some type of crunch food, open mouthed, like a sow while her husband had to comment on every new scene..."musso & franks", "Pitt blah, blah, blah", "Blah, blah, blah"....I lasted 10 minutes. I was fantasizing about lead pipes and ligatures. Felt such relief as I walked out of the theater. :nod: Blue Ray :nod:

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5329
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2054 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:00 am

SR wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:09 am
The sun will have burned out by the time QT catches up to PF.

I went with my wife on Friday night...early bird 5:30 showing. It was packed and we had the choice between front or back row. Back row it is...sat down next to this has been/never was couple (even older than I am). The lady's denim is draped so that it's on my seat and shared armrest...they are eating out of a plastic bag and according to my wife sippin their libations. I didn't get that far; she was chompin some type of crunch food, open mouthed, like a sow while her husband had to comment on every new scene..."musso & franks", "Pitt blah, blah, blah", "Blah, blah, blah"....I lasted 10 minutes. I was fantasizing about lead pipes and ligatures. Felt such relief as I walked out of the theater. :nod: Blue Ray :nod:
Yeah, I either wait a couple weeks and go to a mid-day matinee or wait for a movie to hit home video. More and more, there's usually some dickwad sitting near me loudly playing with their phone or something that takes me outta the movie. I haven't even seen Avengers Endgame yet.

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2055 Post by SR » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 am



Misophonia :banana:

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5329
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2056 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am

I was probably the last guy on the planet to finally see Avengers Endgame tonight, but I sometimes manage to get Blu-ray releases a few weeks before street date so this one was on the docket tonight.

I have to agree with the general opinion that Endgame doesn't quite match up to Infinity Gauntlet. The only moments I actually got a bit of a chill down my spine was the big confrontation with everyone in the Marvel Universe showing up to kick ass and Cap calls for Avengers Assember, that and when Cap lifts the Hammer. The sad bits where kind of spoiled months ago so those characters' passing did quite have the impact they probably would have had I gone in totally blind.

There was a few bits of course that bugged me - leaving Hulk virtually absent from the big final battle and no Nick Fury... The ending was pretty pitch perfect though although it seemed to imply that there were two Steve Rogers existing in the 70's timeline (well, one stuck in ice 'til the 21st Century anyway) to present day.

All in all, I think Marvel stuck the landing and did the entire run of films justice with Endgame.

User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2057 Post by Mescal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Artemis wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm
Over the weekend, I saw the movie Midsommar by Ari Aster- loved it! It has a strong Wicker Man vibe.
The reviews have been mixed. I think because this is not a typical horror movie. I thought it was really well done; I left feeling a little unsettled and disturbed. :lol:
The director is the guy who did Hereditary which I haven't seen.



Well, I read a good review ... I just came back from the movie theater. It's been ages since I went to a movie theater. And I went alone, cause I really wanted to see it.

That's 2 hours of my life thrown away.

If I'd have to label it , I d call it a comedy. I laughed a few times. Least horror horrormovie I ve ever seen

User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2058 Post by Mescal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am
I was probably the last guy on the planet to finally see Avengers Endgame tonight, but I sometimes manage to get Blu-ray releases a few weeks before street date so this one was on the docket tonight.

I have to agree with the general opinion that Endgame doesn't quite match up to Infinity Gauntlet. The only moments I actually got a bit of a chill down my spine was the big confrontation with everyone in the Marvel Universe showing up to kick ass and Cap calls for Avengers Assember, that and when Cap lifts the Hammer. The sad bits where kind of spoiled months ago so those characters' passing did quite have the impact they probably would have had I gone in totally blind.

There was a few bits of course that bugged me - leaving Hulk virtually absent from the big final battle and no Nick Fury... The ending was pretty pitch perfect though although it seemed to imply that there were two Steve Rogers existing in the 70's timeline (well, one stuck in ice 'til the 21st Century anyway) to present day.

All in all, I think Marvel stuck the landing and did the entire run of films justice with Endgame.
Haven't seen it ... my 4 year old son likes the Hulk a lot though

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 8999
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2059 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:58 am

Mescal wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:13 pm
Artemis wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm
Over the weekend, I saw the movie Midsommar by Ari Aster- loved it! It has a strong Wicker Man vibe.
The reviews have been mixed. I think because this is not a typical horror movie. I thought it was really well done; I left feeling a little unsettled and disturbed. :lol:
The director is the guy who did Hereditary which I haven't seen.



Well, I read a good review ... I just came back from the movie theater. It's been ages since I went to a movie theater. And I went alone, cause I really wanted to see it.

That's 2 hours of my life thrown away.

If I'd have to label it , I d call it a comedy. I laughed a few times. Least horror horrormovie I ve ever seen
Too bad you hated it. I agree there were some darkly comedic moments for sure.

User avatar
nausearockpig
Posts: 3720
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#2060 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 am

Just watched Avengers Endgame after rewatching Infinity War. What a load of boring fucking crap. Clearly I’m in the minority given it’s made 2.7 gajillionbity dollars....

But fuck me that was rubbish. Wow.

Post Reply