What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: What are you reading?

#101 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:18 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Image
I'm reading a book by a guy named Steven Nadler. :wiggle:

nausearockpig

#102 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Image
I'm reading a book by a guy named Steven Nadler. :wiggle:

gold. & creepy..

Hype

#103 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

:lol:

nausearockpig

#104 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks Santa ! But first I'll be reading this again:

blackcoffee

#105 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm

From the opening sentences of Donald Ray Pollock’s violence-­soaked first novel, “The Devil All the Time,” it’s clear that blood will out. The West Virginia and southern Ohio landscapes of this book seem riven by one long, coal-smeared and hell-­harrowed gash in the earth, and the stories that vent from it file past in a crimson procession of evils so brutally creative, and so exactingly and lovingly detailed by Pollock, that over the course of the novel it becomes unclear whether they’ve been spawned for the purposes of plot or purely for atavistic pleasure.

SR

#106 Post by SR » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 am

That is some serious writing yourself bc. :cool:

Hype

#107 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:16 pm

SR wrote:That is some serious writing yourself bc. :cool:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books ... d=all&_r=0
August 12, 2011
A Good Man Is Impossible to Find
By JOSH RITTER
THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME
By Donald Ray Pollock
261 pp. Doubleday. $26.95.
From the opening sentences of Donald Ray Pollock’s violence-­soaked first novel, “The Devil All the Time,” it’s clear that blood will out. The West Virginia and southern Ohio landscapes of this book seem riven by one long, coal-smeared and hell-­harrowed gash in the earth, and the stories that vent from it file past in a crimson procession of evils so brutally creative, and so exactingly and lovingly detailed by Pollock, that over the course of the novel it becomes unclear whether they’ve been spawned for the purposes of plot or purely for atavistic pleasure.
:waits: It's probably good that the NYT wrote those words, since I was going to say they're a bit cloying and doggerel for my taste.

The book, on the other hand, looks pretty good.

SR

#108 Post by SR » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:That is some serious writing yourself bc. :cool:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books ... d=all&_r=0
August 12, 2011
A Good Man Is Impossible to Find
By JOSH RITTER
THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME
By Donald Ray Pollock
261 pp. Doubleday. $26.95.
:waits: It's probably good that the NYT wrote those words, since I was going to say they're a bit cloying and doggerel for my taste.

The book, on the other hand, looks pretty good.
obviously the rythym didn't bother me at all, but the imagery is what impressed me. But if it impressed upon you an interest in reading the book rather than not, it did something right. I'm surprised bc didn't cite that. He has multiple degrees in just this area.

Juana

#109 Post by Juana » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Water the Bamboo, I got it for everyone I supervise as well.

thoreau

#110 Post by thoreau » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I know I'm behind the curve, but I'm currently reading World War Z.

SR

#111 Post by SR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Lolita-Nabokov. Fairly low expectations after Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy', but it's a long overdue introduction.

chaos

#112 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am

SR wrote:Lolita-Nabokov. Fairly low expectations after Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy', but it's a long overdue introduction.
I think it is important to note Nabokov's mastery of English especially since it is his third language; Lolita is not a translation. Although the plots of both Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are more complicated, their novels needed to be translated in English by others.

SR

#113 Post by SR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am

Well, it was his first novel penned in English, but his English was learned at a very early age. In any event, I'm confused. Is your point stating the complications in Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are diluted because of translation and that Lolita is not the work it could have been because it was penned in his second language?

I've always been impressed with Conrad's mastery of English. His was a radical transition, and his mastery is one of very few that can be honestly compared to Shakespeare.

SR

#114 Post by SR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 am

:lol: and, of course, did you like Lolita? Too, what was your favorite Dostoevsky and Tolstoy?

chaos

#115 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 am

SR wrote:Well, it was his first novel penned in English, but his English was learned at a very early age. In any event, I'm confused. Is your point stating the complications in Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are diluted because of translation and that Lolita is not the work it could have been because it was penned in his second language?

I've always been impressed with Conrad's mastery of English. His was a radical transition, and his mastery is one of very few that can be honestly compared to Shakespeare.
My point is that Nabokov can write really well in English. :lol:

Lolita is his most famous novel, whereas The Real Life of Sebastian Knight is the first novel he wrote in English (which btw is his tenth novel and written 10 or 11 years before Lolita).

Nabokov has been compared to Conrad and he hated the comparison.
Last edited by chaos on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

SR

#116 Post by SR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 am

Ok. If you have any thoughts on it, please share. :wave:

chaos

#117 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am

I read Lolita twenty years ago and enjoyed it. The narrator conveys his dilemma in a humorous, self-mocking way and the reader sympathizes (at times) with his agonies; considering the subject matter, this is a testament to Nabokov's skill with language. While you may laugh out loud throughout the novel, it will be one of the saddest novels you read.

Warped

#118 Post by Warped » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 am

Nothing better for me than Hakan Nesser, i have to read only page and i am totally sucked into his stories.

:worship:

SR

#119 Post by SR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

chaos wrote:I read Lolita twenty years ago and enjoyed it. The narrator conveys his dilemma in a humorous, self-mocking way and the reader sympathizes (at times) with his agonies; considering the subject matter, this is a testament to Nabokov's skill with language. While you may laugh out loud throughout the novel, it will be one of the saddest novels you read.
OK, on to it.

Artemis

#120 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 pm

chaos wrote:I read Lolita twenty years ago and enjoyed it. The narrator conveys his dilemma in a humorous, self-mocking way and the reader sympathizes (at times) with his agonies; considering the subject matter, this is a testament to Nabokov's skill with language. While you may laugh out loud throughout the novel, it will be one of the saddest novels you read.
I read Lolita for the first time about 10 years ago in a book club I was in. We also watched the movie(the one with James Mason & Shelley Winters.

For me, Lolita is the most beautifully written book I have ever read. I'm no expert on 'writin', but this is some fine language engineering. :thumb:

Humbert HUmbert, the narrator and main character is really likeable and despicable at the same time. From the reader's point of view, it's a dilema because you think you shouldn't like this guy, but he really is charming. I agree that this is a sad book. The book can be explored on many levels.

cursed male

#121 Post by cursed male » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

chaos

#122 Post by chaos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Has anyone heard about this book? My gut tells me it is trash.
He’s Back: Hitler Satire Tops Germany’s Best-Seller List

By Kharunya Paramaguru Feb. 10, 2013

What would happen if Adolf Hitler woke up in modern-day Berlin to find that it was not occupied by Russian soldiers but instead by a vibrant, multicultural citizenry? This is the premise of the debut novel by German journalist Timur Vermes, Er Ist Wieder Da (He’s Back), which has topped Germany’s best-seller list.

Narrated in the first-person by Hitler, the story follows the Führer as he awakens from a 66-year sleep in his bunker beneath Berlin to find an entirely changed Germany. In the celebrity-obsessed modern-day city, everyone assumes the fulminating leader of the Nazi party is a comedian in character — and soon he becomes a celebrity with a guest slot on a Turkish-born comedian’s TV show. His bigoted rants are interpreted as a satirical exposure of prejudice, leading him to decide to start his own political party.

The book, which has already sold hundreds of thousands of copies and is being translated into several other languages, including English, has unsurprisingly sparked debate in a country that has grappled for decades with Hitler’s unconscionable legacy.

Critics are ambivalent about the book. The newsweekly Stern described it as the “latest outgrowth of a Hitler commercialization machine that breaks all taboos to make money,” while a critic at the Hamburger Abendblatt saw it as a “successful if unsettling satire of a mass murderer and the mass media.”

Vermes appears happy to be stoking the debate. “[Hitler] is always the monster, and we can be comforted by the fact that we’re different from him,” he told German media. “But in reality, he continues to spark real fascination in people, just as he did back then when people liked him enough to help him commit crimes.”

Hype

#123 Post by Hype » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

http://books.google.ca/books/about/The_ ... edir_esc=y
At age six, Rodney Mullen was the family misfit who had to wear braces to straighten out his pigeon-toed feet. But by age fourteen, he was a world-champion skateboarder -- and for the next decade lost only one contest. Now, for the first time, Rodney tells the incredible story of his ascent to fame as the number one nerd in a sport where anarchy is often encouraged. Rodney learned to skate by himself on the family farm, his only company the wandering cows. As a teenager he traveled the world for demonstrations, invented the flatground ollie -- a trick that laid the foundation for modern street skating -- and in ten years garnered thirty-five world skating titles. While acing skateboard contests Rodney also earned straight A's in school, but his father forced him to abandon his fame and the fortune he could make from the sport he loved. Rodney was unable to stop for very long though, even after freestyle skating went out of fashion and the skateboarding world abandoned him. He adapted to street skating and eventually became one of the most innovative and influential skaters of all time. It's all here: everything from his eating and sleeping disorders to his comical experiences with loan sharks, occult-obsessed relatives, and the FBI. The Mutt is a look at Rodney's strange journey from penniless skateboarder to millionaire.

farrellgirl99

#124 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 pm

i just finished this

dont think its for the ANR demographic (its a new adult piece which is like after YA) but i read it for work and i really enjoyed it. great characters. so if anyone here wants to get down with well done high school emotions/trauma/a bit more than that, i recommend it

nausearockpig

#125 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I just finished this:

It was somewhat disconcerting hearing that he was murdered as I was reading the book he wrote...