What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.

What are you reading?

Postby Artemis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

At the moment I'm not reading anything.

Recently I read So Much for That by Lionel Shriver
From the acclaimed author of the New York Times bestseller The Post-Birthday World comes a searing, ruthlessly honest new novel about a marriage both stressed and strengthened by the demands of serious illness.

Shep Knacker has long saved for "The Afterlife": an idyllic retreat to the Third World where his nest egg can last forever. Traffic jams on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will be replaced with "talking, thinking, seeing, and being"—and enough sleep. When he sells his home repair business for a cool million dollars, his dream finally seems within reach. Yet Glynis, his wife of twenty-six years, has concocted endless excuses why it's never the right time to go. Weary of working as a peon for the jerk who bought his company, Shep announces he's leaving for a Tanzanian island, with or without her.

Just returned from a doctor's appointment, Glynis has some news of her own: Shep can't go anywhere because she desperately needs his health insurance. But their policy only partially covers the staggering bills for her treatments, and Shep's nest egg for The Afterlife soon cracks under the strain.

Enriched with three medical subplots that also explore the human costs of American health care, So Much for That follows the profound transformation of a marriage, for which grave illness proves an unexpected opportunity for tenderness, renewed intimacy, and dry humor. In defiance of her dark subject matter, Shriver writes a page-turner that presses the question: How much is one life worth?
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 8267
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 pm

The way of Life by Lao Tzu

A book a Monk gave me recently at a festival

Some psych books for my semester starting on the 22nd of Aug
Juana
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Larry B. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 am

The New Spanish Orthography.

The Name of the Rose (I'm not really liking, so I will most likely not end it).

Some Intel internal documents (work).
User avatar
Larry B.
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Hokahey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 am

Juana wrote:The way of Life by Lao Tzu


I believe this is one of many translations of the Tao Te Ching. A personal favorite of mine.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby ellis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Moby Duck: a book about the many people who tracked down 26K rubber ducky's that spilled out of a ship that was shipping them from China to the US. Really good book!

Book of Enoch
The Templar Code for Dummies
college books, etc
User avatar
ellis
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby ant » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.
User avatar
ant
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Juana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:20 pm

hokahey wrote:
Juana wrote:The way of Life by Lao Tzu


I believe this is one of many translations of the Tao Te Ching. A personal favorite of mine.


Yeah it is
Juana
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Mescal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Larry B. wrote:
The Name of the Rose (I'm not really liking, so I will most likely not end it).



Apparently the beginning is really boring, but it gets really good around the middle of the book ....

That's what I heard, I started in it as well but never finished it.

I read To kill a mockingbird.
User avatar
Mescal
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby perkana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm reading a history book...it's called "Dead amongst Mexicas" by Eduardo Matos Moctezuma. It pretty much explains mexicas and other mesoamerican cultures' cosmovision and makes a comparison with the bible and Dante's Divine Comedy. It's really interesting, love the stories about how women got pregnant (the earth godess got pregnant when a feather laid on her bossom, another lady got pregnant by the spit of a dead guy's head)
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Japhy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:40 pm

ant wrote:I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.


I am a HUGE Kerouac fan so i'm maybe a little biased, but i absolutely love this book... and yeah, i also liked it because it is such a quick and easy read.

I'm currently reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Very clever theme (your social status is defined by the colours that you can see) and it's also very amusing which was a surprise.
Japhy
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby ant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Japhy wrote:
ant wrote:I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.


I am a HUGE Kerouac fan so i'm maybe a little biased, but i absolutely love this book... and yeah, i also liked it because it is such a quick and easy read.


I'm actually a bigger Burroughs fan but I like a lot of Kerouac as well. Dharma Bums being one of my faves. :wink:
User avatar
ant
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Japhy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm

ant wrote:
Japhy wrote:
ant wrote:I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.


I am a HUGE Kerouac fan so i'm maybe a little biased, but i absolutely love this book... and yeah, i also liked it because it is such a quick and easy read.


I'm actually a bigger Burroughs fan but I like a lot of Kerouac as well. Dharma Bums being one of my faves. :wink:


And it won't surprise you in the slightest that Dharma Bums is my favourite by a long stretch! I wanted to own a 1st ed for so long and finally got one some 4-5 years ago... just something about the story that really resonated. As soon as i've finished Shades of Grey though, i'm gonna pick Hippos up again for sure.
Japhy
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Artemis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Image

Still not reading anything, but I do want to read Jeffrey Eugenides (Virgin Suicides, Middlesex) new book The Marriage Plot.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 8267
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What are you reading?

Postby cursed male » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 pm

'Stanley Kubrick: A Biography' by John Baxter
User avatar
cursed male
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Jasper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I can't read. Honestly, I'm actually dictating this post. Now put one of those sad faces. No, don't write it, click on the fucking face! Idiot! :cona:
User avatar
Jasper
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Matz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:44 am

Kiedis's biography Scar Tissue
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I've just bought John Swartzwelder's last 2 books for the Kindle. Following a recommendation by Hype, I ended up reading his first 5 Frank Burly books. They're unbelievably hilarious. I didn't pay for those first 5, and I feel comfortable enough paying 24 bucks for a total of 7 books.

I think the AVW files can be read in up to 3 or 5 devices, so if you're interested, let me know.
User avatar
Larry B.
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby crater » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I just ordered these two

ImageImage
User avatar
crater
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Bear Island

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm

crater wrote:I just ordered these two

Image


Downloaded it, will give it a read someday :wave: (thank you)
User avatar
Larry B.
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby chaos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Larry B. wrote:
crater wrote:I just ordered these two

Image


Downloaded it, will give it a read someday :wave: (thank you)


I just finished the novel Saturday written by Ian McEwan, the author who provided the brief review blurb on the cover of A Universe from Nothing.
User avatar
chaos
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Next

Return to Music And Art

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest