What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading?

#181 Post by creep » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:51 pm

i hope one day to read another book. it's been a few years. the internet has fried my brain. seriously...... :dunce:

perkana

#182 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:54 pm

I swear you would read more if you spent a couple of hours on the subway every day (I only read during one of my rides, I usually sleep on my way back home).

creep
Site Admin

#183 Post by creep » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:57 pm

perkana wrote:I swear you would read more if you spent a couple of hours on the subway every day (I only read during one of my rides, I usually sleep on my way back home).
impossible. i could never read in public. i have to be 100% aware of what's going on around me. i am always amazed at people that can read and never look up. i do think that quality makes me a good driver.

perkana

#184 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:59 pm

creep wrote:
perkana wrote:I swear you would read more if you spent a couple of hours on the subway every day (I only read during one of my rides, I usually sleep on my way back home).
impossible. i could never read in public. i have to be 100% aware of what's going on around me. i am always amazed at people that can read and never look up. i do think that quality makes me a good driver.
I would agree with you on that :lol: (I'm not a bad driver, but I don't love driving), You get used to it. I guess it's the only time I have for myself, besides going to shows and the movies.

farrellgirl99

#185 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:09 pm

I also only read for leisure when I'm commuting on the train (i have to read a lot of books and articles for school but those dont count).

I can't remember the last time I read fiction though. I just read the New Yorker on the train and it takes me the whole week and then I get the next issue so it keeps me busy.

chaos

#186 Post by chaos » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:29 am

Picked up two books this week:

Hype

#187 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm teaching, so I'm reading the stuff I'm teaching, including a bunch of the chapters from this book: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Death-Meani ... 144220169X

But I was also given Carlos Fraenkel's "Teaching Plato in Palestine" as a gift, and have been meaning to get past the first few pages for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Plato-P ... 0691151032

I've written to Fraenkel to invite him to things a few times, but haven't had the chance to meet him yet. He's an awesome writer, though.

I've also been reading a bunch of stuff for my own research, so like... boring old academic shit. :lol:

Artemis

#188 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:09 pm

chaos wrote:

I heard an interview with J.D. Vamce a few days ago on the CBC Radio program 'The Current'

If you're interested, you can hear it in the link below.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the- ... -1.3761428

I was going to post in this thread that the author W.P. Kinsella and Edward Albee both died yesterday.

SR

#189 Post by SR » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Three Tall Women was absolute genius; I got a chance to see it in the mid 90's......I left thinking about flying to U of Houston to audit one of his classes. RIP. He penned this some years ago to be issued after his death:

“To all of you who have made my being alive so wonderful, so exciting and so full, my thanks and all my love.”

Artemis

#190 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:42 pm

SR wrote:Three Tall Women was absolute genius; I got a chance to see it in the mid 90's......
I saw Three Tall Women in the mid 90s too! Maybe we saw the same production?? I saw the play in Toronto with Marian Seldes, Michael Learned(Mrs Walton) and Chrsitina Rouner. The structure of that play was brilliant, loved it.

chaos

#191 Post by chaos » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Artemis wrote:
I saw Three Tall Women in the mid 90s too! Maybe we saw the same production?? I saw the play in Toronto with Marian Seldes, Michael Learned(Mrs Walton) and Chrsitina Rouner. The structure of that play was brilliant, loved it.
I saw this play in 1992 in Woodstock, NY. Marian Seldes was cast as Woman B then. (In later productions she was cast as Woman A.)

SR

#192 Post by SR » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Artemis wrote:
SR wrote:Three Tall Women was absolute genius; I got a chance to see it in the mid 90's......
:lol: Oh shit....I have absolutely no recollection of the actors.

Artemis

#193 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:36 pm

SR wrote:
Artemis wrote:
:lol: Oh shit....I have absolutely no recollection of the actors.
Not surprising,it was 20 years ago. The only reason I remember is because I was working in a hotel at the time, selling theatre packages. I knew all the details about the plays and musicals we were selling. The best perk of that job was getting complimentary tickets to everything.

perkana

#194 Post by perkana » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

I've missed reading Nick Hornby :heart:

farrellgirl99

#195 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 pm

i read American Psycho a few weeks ago. I've never seen the film. It was the most disturbing book I ever read. It was actually the first book I've ever read that I needed to skip a few paragraphs because they were too much for me (this could be because of my fear of rats, because the passage I couldn't read involved a woman being tortured and a rat).

I also read Shelter by Jung Yun. I'd definitely recommend that one for psychological drama fans.

Now I'm reading the Vacationers by Emma Straub, which is definitely a beach read im getting to a few weeks out of season :lol:

SR

#196 Post by SR » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:42 pm

I picked up Bret Ellis Easton's "Less Than Zero" a few years back and it really didn't hold up to time, or my level of lit savvy has increased since the 80's. That was his book written while at Yale as his thesis. All the publishers went crazy after it's monumental success and subsequent film. They were salivating for American Psycho.....once delivered, they cancelled all of the hard bound orders and proceeded with only a paperback version.

perkana

#197 Post by perkana » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:59 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i read American Psycho a few weeks ago. I've never seen the film. It was the most disturbing book I ever read. It was actually the first book I've ever read that I needed to skip a few paragraphs because they were too much for me (this could be because of my fear of rats, because the passage I couldn't read involved a woman being tortured and a rat).
[/img]
I saw the movie back in 2000. I liked it, though I haven't watched it again. I read the book last year. I didn't skip anything, but the rat part made me want to :jasper:
I want to read more of his books though.

Artemis

#198 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I loved Watership Down! Read the book and saw the film. I read the Plague Dogs as well.

Richard Adams had a good run at 96 years.
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, dies at 96
After huge success of adventure tale about rabbits, British civil servant became full-time writer
British author Richard Adams, who spent the first 50 years of his life in relative anonymity before penning the iconic children's adventure novel Watership Down, has died at 96.

The news was first reported by the BBC, citing Adams's daughter. The website for Watership Down Enterprises, the entity that manages the rights to Adams's works, also issued a statement announcing his death.

"Richard's much-loved family announce with sadness that their dear father, grandfather and great-grandfather passed away peacefully at 10 p.m. on Christmas Eve," the statement said.

Adams was born in Newbury, England, about 40 kilometres south of Oxford, in 1920. He served in the British army during the Second World War and was posted to Europe, the Mideast and East Asia.

After the war, Adams worked as a civil servant in the British government.

Watership Down, the story of a small group of rabbits in search of a new home after their warren is destroyed, had its genesis in a tale Adams told his daughters on a road trip. He eventually wrote it down and sought a publisher, but had difficulty finding one until Rex Collings Ltd. took it on, with an initial print run of 2,500 copies.

The book won the Carnegie Medal and the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize, seen as the top honours for children's books in Britain, and became an international best-seller.

It was later adapted into an animated film and TV series, and has seen several stage versions.

Riding on the success of Watership Down, Adams turned to writing full-time. His later works include the 1974 fantasy novel Shardik and 1977's The Plague Dogs, about two canine heroes who escape mistreatment at a government research facility.

chaos

#199 Post by chaos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 am

Just finished this. It's an engaging, smooth read. Tom Nichols nails it with his chapter on Higher Education.

Moving on to some fiction:

Hype

#200 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

I just picked this up: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10927.html

Highly recommend it as a coffee-table book.

dannyboy

#201 Post by dannyboy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 am

I stole my sister’s copy of The Sellout by Paul Beatty over Christmas. Pummelled it in a few days which is much faster than I normally go!

It’s set in LA and is about racial politics within a mostly black and Hispanic town.

It was really funny and superbly written. It won the Bookerman Prize I the UK last year so don’t just take my word for it!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... prize-2016

Larry B.

#202 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:45 am

I've recently read Johan Cruyff's autobiography. Really good read, I'd recommend it if you're interested in all things football.

wally

#203 Post by wally » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 am

I was a big Steven King fan when I was young but had never read the dark tower series. When the movie was coming out i decided I should read the books. Had no idea what I was getting myself into at the time. I just finished the last of the original 7 books. Something like 4000 pages. Now that the movie was largely panned, I'm not super interested in seeing it. I did enjoy the books even though cowboy sci fi has never been my thing.

I just started reading Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
synopsis below

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.
Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. Her relatives were shot and poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more members of the tribe began to die under mysterious circumstances.
In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes like Al Spencer, the “Phantom Terror,” roamed—many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll climbed to more than twenty-four, the FBI took up the case. It was one of the organization’s first major homicide investigations and the bureau badly bungled the case. In desperation, the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only American Indian agents in the bureau. The agents infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest techniques of detection. Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history.
In Killers of the Flower Moon, David Grann revisits a shocking series of crimes in which dozens of people were murdered in cold blood. Based on years of research and startling new evidence, the book is a masterpiece of narrative nonfiction, as each step in the investigation reveals a series of sinister secrets and reversals. But more than that, it is a searing indictment of the callousness and prejudice toward American Indians that allowed the murderers to operate with impunity for so long. Killers of the Flower Moon is utterly compelling, but also emotionally devastating.

SR

#204 Post by SR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I've had this for months....and could not bring myself to read......now I am....2 weeks before fury

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ident.html

SR

#205 Post by SR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 pm

But this was good....

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/f ... nt-w461390

A real take down of both sides with a real view of the insanity of the trump supporters