What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: What are you reading?

#81 Post by Matz » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

farrellgirl99

#82 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm

and

farrellgirl99

#83 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:50 pm

i just finished this in a couple of hours. a pretty fascinating read.
It was a tale of loss and recovery, of courage and sorrow, of horror and inspiration. Tania Head’s astonishing account of her experience on September 11, 2001—from crawling through the carnage and chaos to escaping the seventy-eighth-floor sky lobby of the burning south tower to losing her fiancé in the collapsed north tower—transformed her into one of the great victims and heroes of that tragic day.

Tania selflessly took on the responsibility of giving a voice and a direction to the burgeoning World Trade Center Survivors’ Network, helping save the “Survivor Stairway” and leading tours at Ground Zero, including taking then-governor Pataki, Mayor Bloomberg, and former mayor Giuliani on the inaugural tour of the WTC site. She even used her own assets to fund charitable events to help survivors heal. But there was something very wrong with Tania’s story—a terrible secret that would break the hearts and challenge the faith of all those she claimed to champion.

chaos

#84 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:24 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Image

i just finished this in a couple of hours. a pretty fascinating read.
It was a tale of loss and recovery, of courage and sorrow, of horror and inspiration. Tania Head’s astonishing account of her experience on September 11, 2001—from crawling through the carnage and chaos to escaping the seventy-eighth-floor sky lobby of the burning south tower to losing her fiancé in the collapsed north tower—transformed her into one of the great victims and heroes of that tragic day.

Tania selflessly took on the responsibility of giving a voice and a direction to the burgeoning World Trade Center Survivors’ Network, helping save the “Survivor Stairway” and leading tours at Ground Zero, including taking then-governor Pataki, Mayor Bloomberg, and former mayor Giuliani on the inaugural tour of the WTC site. She even used her own assets to fund charitable events to help survivors heal. But there was something very wrong with Tania’s story—a terrible secret that would break the hearts and challenge the faith of all those she claimed to champion.
There was a program on TV recently about that woman. I am surprised she is still living in NYC. She cannot possibly feel safe with all of the crap she pulled.

chaos

#85 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Posted on Amazon:
From Publishers Weekly

Lewis, former Dean of Harvard College, presents a biting, scattershot indictment of undergraduate education at America's flagship university. The curriculum, he contends, is a crazy quilt of courses that leaves students clueless as to what they should learn and why. Professors are ivory tower eggheads fixated on their narrow subspecialties and incapable of offering guidance about academics, career or character. And students, coddled by parents and plied by administrators with parties, pubs and concerts, remain dependent and infantilized instead of growing up. Lewis spares no one-least of all recently ousted Harvard President Lawrence Summers, a "bully" whose administration combined "arrogance" with "lack of candor" and "chaotic lurching"-and probes rarely-examined academic fundamentals (his comments on the meaninglessness of grades are especially incisive). Unfortunately, his remedies, like a sketchy proposal for general education courses, are vague at best. And while he deplores Harvard's failure to articulate "what it means to be a good person," his discussion of date rape-concluding that women should be encouraged to "move on" and "rise above severe trauma"-is an ethical muddle. Provocative and insightful, Lewis's call for an intellectually and morally coherent education does a much better job of raising important questions than answering them.

perkana

#86 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:10 pm

The author wrote the Wallander books which I have never read nor scene the tv series (Swedish or the one with Branagh) So far so good...

Hype

#87 Post by Hype » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I haven't really bothered with that Gareth Evans book I was going to read this summer. Instead I'm reading ridiculous amounts of stuff for a paper I'm working on that should cause a stir in the tiny community of scholars that work on the thing I work on. :confused: (I want to subtitle it: "Why everyone hitherto has been wrong, except me; or why you should give me tenure.") :dunce:

This is some of it. And some of some of it is online (legally) for free:
ImageImageImageImageImage
http://archive.org/details/philosophyofspin033315mbp

ImageImageImageImage

Etc. :drink:

Larry B.

#88 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 am

I think you might like Spinoza.

Hype

#89 Post by Hype » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am

Larry B. wrote:I think you might like Spinoza.
:lol: Huge understatement.

Bandit72

#90 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 am

I'm reading this. No idea why it's taken me so long to even get it either.

farrellgirl99

#91 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 pm

i just finished reading these two:

blackcoffee

#92 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 am

and I'm reading Animal Farm for the first time with my 6th grade daughter to supplement whatever she's doing in school as it doesn't seem to be rigorous enough

SR

#93 Post by SR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

Team of Rivals

Still.

mockbee

#94 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 am

Annapurna Maurice Herzog

Still............

I'm terrible at committing to a book. I only read two of them all the way through in college. :no:

I have about five right now that are halfway done.

Essence_Smith

#95 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and this:

Fuck a James Bone I always liked the Saint...plus Roger Moore played him before Bond...sad that the last thing they did with that franchise was that meh movie in the 90's with Val Kilmer...

Larry B.

#96 Post by Larry B. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm

blackcoffee wrote: and I'm reading Animal Farm for the first time with my 6th grade daughter to supplement whatever she's doing in school as it doesn't seem to be rigorous enough

If any golden comments come up, please share?

I reckon that book can be a true landmark in a kid's life.

crater

#97 Post by crater » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm

I was looking through some boxes in the garage and found one full of my Dragonlance books. It's been years since I've read those things, so I'm starting again with this one. I wrote on the first page the dates I first started and finished it 12-Oct-90 - 24-Oct-90.

chaos

#98 Post by chaos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 pm

This arrived today from amazon:

Warped

#99 Post by Warped » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm

perkana wrote:Image
The author wrote the Wallander books which I have never read nor scene the tv series (Swedish or the one with Branagh) So far so good...
I read all the Wallander books as well as some other novels by Mankell (including the one you mentioned here) and i loved them all. He's not my fave swedish author though - that title goes to Hakan Nesser. :worship:

nausearockpig

#100 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Hype

#101 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:18 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Image
I'm reading a book by a guy named Steven Nadler. :wiggle:

nausearockpig

#102 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Image
I'm reading a book by a guy named Steven Nadler. :wiggle:

gold. & creepy..

Hype

#103 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

:lol:

nausearockpig

#104 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks Santa ! But first I'll be reading this again:

blackcoffee

#105 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm

From the opening sentences of Donald Ray Pollock’s violence-­soaked first novel, “The Devil All the Time,” it’s clear that blood will out. The West Virginia and southern Ohio landscapes of this book seem riven by one long, coal-smeared and hell-­harrowed gash in the earth, and the stories that vent from it file past in a crimson procession of evils so brutally creative, and so exactingly and lovingly detailed by Pollock, that over the course of the novel it becomes unclear whether they’ve been spawned for the purposes of plot or purely for atavistic pleasure.