What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading?

#51 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am

chaos wrote:Overall BTR is both informative and inspirational. I was referring to some of the interactions among the characters during the journey. They add some comedic flavor to McDougall's narrative.
Well put. The characters are just amazingly colorful and so fun to read about.

Everybody's Friend

#52 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 am

hokahey wrote:
chaos wrote:Overall BTR is both informative and inspirational. I was referring to some of the interactions among the characters during the journey. They add some comedic flavor to McDougall's narrative.
Scott Jurek is amazing. :nod:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#53 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Scott Jurek is amazing. :nod:
Yes! Such an interesting guy. It seems like a lot of ultra runners are. They have their own subculture.

Matov

#54 Post by Matov » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am

Larry B. wrote:Joseph Emperaire's 'Nomads of the Sea'.

Beautiful book about the yaganes, aborigines from Punta Arenas, by a French anthropologist who spent a few years with them. Today, they are pretty much extinct. Only 3 grandmothers are 'pure yaganes', one of whom I visited 3 months ago.

Lovely book for me.
happy belated birthday to you, sir

Larry B.

#55 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Matov wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Joseph Emperaire's 'Nomads of the Sea'.

Beautiful book about the yaganes, aborigines from Punta Arenas, by a French anthropologist who spent a few years with them. Today, they are pretty much extinct. Only 3 grandmothers are 'pure yaganes', one of whom I visited 3 months ago.

Lovely book for me.
happy belated birthday to you, sir
:tiphat: :tiphat: Muchas gracias, maestro.

Bandit72

#56 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 am

I reasd this book about 8 years ago and I came across it again on Kindle so I bought it. If you like travelling, or have ever been to Thailand or that part of the world or maybe you are interested in what happens in a Thai prison? Read it. Gripping stuff.

Think about the most wretched day of your life. Maybe it was when someone you loved died, or when you were badly hurt in an accident, or a day when you were so terrified you could scarcely bear it. No imagine 4,000 of those days in one big chunk.

In 1978, Warren Fellows was convicted in Thailand of heroin trafficking and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The Damage Done is his story of an unthinkable nightmare in a place where sewer rats and cockroaches are the only nutritious food, and where the worst punishment is the khun deo - solitary confinement, Thai style.

Fellows was certainly guilty of his crime, but he endured and survived human-rights abuses beyond imagination. This is not his plea for forgiveness, nor his denial of guilt; it is the story of an ordeal that no one would wish on their worst enemy. It is an essential read: heartbreaking, fascinating and impossible to put down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Fellows

nausearockpig

#57 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:I reasd this book about 8 years ago and I came across it again on Kindle so I bought it. If you like travelling, or have ever been to Thailand or that part of the world or maybe you are interested in what happens in a Thai prison? Read it. Gripping stuff.

Think about the most wretched day of your life. Maybe it was when someone you loved died, or when you were badly hurt in an accident, or a day when you were so terrified you could scarcely bear it. No imagine 4,000 of those days in one big chunk.

In 1978, Warren Fellows was convicted in Thailand of heroin trafficking and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The Damage Done is his story of an unthinkable nightmare in a place where sewer rats and cockroaches are the only nutritious food, and where the worst punishment is the khun deo - solitary confinement, Thai style.

Fellows was certainly guilty of his crime, but he endured and survived human-rights abuses beyond imagination. This is not his plea for forgiveness, nor his denial of guilt; it is the story of an ordeal that no one would wish on their worst enemy. It is an essential read: heartbreaking, fascinating and impossible to put down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Fellows

lol yeah maybe just don't traffic drugs.... FFS

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 am

There was a show on for awhile called "Locked Up Abroad" (I think) and was full of these types of stories. Terrifying stuff. It's like my worst nightmare. I'd rather be dead.

Bandit72

#59 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 am

hokahey wrote:There was a show on for awhile called "Locked Up Abroad" (I think) and was full of these types of stories. Terrifying stuff. It's like my worst nightmare. I'd rather be dead.
Terry Shortall, a very good Irish friend of mine was arrested by Hong Kong police in August 2009 for allegedly assaulting two female students in his private office. He strenuously denied the charges and was given a longer sentence by the judge for "failing to show remorse". There were no witnesses to the offense and the arrest, judgement, and subsequent jail sentence were based entirely on the accusations of two 19-year-old female students who were failing his English course. To cut a VERY long story short, he was locked up in a Hong Kong prison for just over a year, lost his work permit and other rights and eventually got out because one of the girls admitted to lying about everything. He now lives with his son in Brazil. He wrote a book about it which I read a draft of. Fucked up.

blackcoffee

#60 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm a big fan of this Irish writer Adrian McKinty. These two were recently published in the UK, but not in the US. I ordered them off Amazon.

They're basically thrillers. He's much better than average as a writer, though. His first series is brilliant.

Hype

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

Hokahey
Site Admin

#63 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 am

chaos wrote:For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

He had been missing since Tuesday. They found him Saturday. Heartbreaking stuff.

nausearockpig

#64 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Star Wars Fate Of The Jedi - nine book series.

Matov

#65 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

That Maus graphic novel is truly heartbreaking. I read it when i was about twelve i think. So i don't remember the specifics of the plot, other than the timeframe of the story and what obviously went on there. Still i remember feeling like the world was one shitty place.
Enjoy it :wave:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#66 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 am

I know Hype has read Maus before because I know we talked about it when I read it a few years ago.

Hype

#67 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

hokahey wrote:I know Hype has read Maus before because I know we talked about it when I read it a few years ago.
I read it as a youngster, but I've forgotten most of it. Then again, it's eerily similar to my grandfather's own life (Polish Holocaust survivor)... so.. :conf:

I'm actually reading a lot more than that... journal articles and some books (metaphysics, philosophy of perception, stoicism) for my final coursework papers ever. But technically I'm also reading a stack of badly written first year philosophy essays. :confused: :confused: :lol: Going stir-crazy.

Larry B.

#68 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:But technically I'm also reading a stack of badly written first year philosophy essays. :confused: :confused: :lol: Going stir-crazy.
In a similar line, I'm reading courses for new data security and storage systems for big companies, recruitment descriptions for a pretty big company, curatory essays and audit reports.

:hide:

:mediate:

Matz

#69 Post by Matz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 pm

I've been reading this over the past couple of days. It was a gift from my sister who raved about it. It's about dealing with conflicts, how to avoid them and resolving them in a more mature way. Lots of people claim it's changed their lives, but I only got half way through it. It's written in a annoying condescending way I think and instead of getting to their points relatively fast they drag it out forever. So no life changing for me this time around unfortunately. Maybe I should pass it along to Perry :noclue:

Artemis

#70 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Matz wrote:I've been reading this over the past couple of days. It was a gift from my sister who raved about it. It's about dealing with conflicts, how to avoid them and resolving them in a more mature way.
I think I should check that book out. My conflict resolution method of sticking gum in people's hair isn't working. :lol:

Seriously though, that sounds like a very interesting book.
I really hate conflict situations and generally avoid them through diplomacy.It doesn't always work though..

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Something for Kurt Vonnegut fans..

BOOK REVIEW

And So It Goes: Kurt Vonnegut: A Life
SCARRED WRITER
BY DAVID SILVERBERG

If you’re curious about what demons plagued Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat’s Cradle author Kurt Vonnegut, Charles J. Shields’s bio of the mercurial and troubled writer is required reading.

Though it’s been five years since Vonnegut died, And So It Goes is the first official biography.

Shields knows how to get to an author’s core, having profiled Harper Lee in Mockingbird. Using the same kind of exhaustive research, he reviewed more than 1,500 letters and interviewed Vonnegut as well as dozens of relatives and friends.

An Indiana boy raised in a German-American home, young Vonnegut craved attention, feeling alienated from his constantly warring parents. His brother Bernard got hooked on science and won over Mom and Dad, giving rise to a resentment Vonnegut never really let go of. But Bernard also got him curious about science and engineering.

Vonnegut’s Cornell days, his stint as a Second World War infantryman and the devastating Dresden bombing that later surfaced in his best-selling Slaughterhouse-Five are related in brisk, well-crafted prose. It’s eerie to read how that Dresden scar ran so deep that Vonnegut felt little closure even after completing the book.

The bio keeps the intrigue coming in the stories of two ex-wives who seem to withhold nothing. As salacious as those tales are, the more telling details emerge from Vonnegut’s views on creative writing and sharing stories he wants the world to hear.

The best parts of And So It Goes examine the ways his real-life drama bled into his fiction, something his fans may always have suspected but could never know for sure – until now.

clickie

#72 Post by clickie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Not because of this book..but lately I'm feeling like my fascination and thirst for knowledge about the Vietnam war has finally been quenched...

perkana

#73 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

Just finished reading E.M Forster's Longest Journey (for a first novel, it wasn't that bad) and about to read Where Angels Fear to Tread. I'm not looking forward to it because it's the last novel of his that I haven't read and there are no more.

Classic Boy

#74 Post by Classic Boy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 am

"Les Fleurs du Mal" , Charles Baudelaire. At school I hated it cause I was forced to read it, but now I'm discovering it with my own feelings and it's just beautiful.

farrellgirl99

#75 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Reading these two for school currently.