What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
cursed male

Re: What are you reading?

#121 Post by cursed male » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

chaos

#122 Post by chaos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Has anyone heard about this book? My gut tells me it is trash.
He’s Back: Hitler Satire Tops Germany’s Best-Seller List

By Kharunya Paramaguru Feb. 10, 2013

What would happen if Adolf Hitler woke up in modern-day Berlin to find that it was not occupied by Russian soldiers but instead by a vibrant, multicultural citizenry? This is the premise of the debut novel by German journalist Timur Vermes, Er Ist Wieder Da (He’s Back), which has topped Germany’s best-seller list.

Narrated in the first-person by Hitler, the story follows the Führer as he awakens from a 66-year sleep in his bunker beneath Berlin to find an entirely changed Germany. In the celebrity-obsessed modern-day city, everyone assumes the fulminating leader of the Nazi party is a comedian in character — and soon he becomes a celebrity with a guest slot on a Turkish-born comedian’s TV show. His bigoted rants are interpreted as a satirical exposure of prejudice, leading him to decide to start his own political party.

The book, which has already sold hundreds of thousands of copies and is being translated into several other languages, including English, has unsurprisingly sparked debate in a country that has grappled for decades with Hitler’s unconscionable legacy.

Critics are ambivalent about the book. The newsweekly Stern described it as the “latest outgrowth of a Hitler commercialization machine that breaks all taboos to make money,” while a critic at the Hamburger Abendblatt saw it as a “successful if unsettling satire of a mass murderer and the mass media.”

Vermes appears happy to be stoking the debate. “[Hitler] is always the monster, and we can be comforted by the fact that we’re different from him,” he told German media. “But in reality, he continues to spark real fascination in people, just as he did back then when people liked him enough to help him commit crimes.”

Hype

#123 Post by Hype » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

http://books.google.ca/books/about/The_ ... edir_esc=y
At age six, Rodney Mullen was the family misfit who had to wear braces to straighten out his pigeon-toed feet. But by age fourteen, he was a world-champion skateboarder -- and for the next decade lost only one contest. Now, for the first time, Rodney tells the incredible story of his ascent to fame as the number one nerd in a sport where anarchy is often encouraged. Rodney learned to skate by himself on the family farm, his only company the wandering cows. As a teenager he traveled the world for demonstrations, invented the flatground ollie -- a trick that laid the foundation for modern street skating -- and in ten years garnered thirty-five world skating titles. While acing skateboard contests Rodney also earned straight A's in school, but his father forced him to abandon his fame and the fortune he could make from the sport he loved. Rodney was unable to stop for very long though, even after freestyle skating went out of fashion and the skateboarding world abandoned him. He adapted to street skating and eventually became one of the most innovative and influential skaters of all time. It's all here: everything from his eating and sleeping disorders to his comical experiences with loan sharks, occult-obsessed relatives, and the FBI. The Mutt is a look at Rodney's strange journey from penniless skateboarder to millionaire.

farrellgirl99

#124 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 pm

i just finished this

dont think its for the ANR demographic (its a new adult piece which is like after YA) but i read it for work and i really enjoyed it. great characters. so if anyone here wants to get down with well done high school emotions/trauma/a bit more than that, i recommend it

nausearockpig

#125 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I just finished this:

It was somewhat disconcerting hearing that he was murdered as I was reading the book he wrote...

chaos

#126 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:39 pm

farrellgirl99

#127 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:44 am

Larry B.

#128 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am

The Further Stories of An Idiot Abroad, by Karl Pilkington. Hilarious and insightful.

chaos

#129 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:Image
I got hooked on this book and read it in one sitting on a Saturday several years ago. I have read a couple of other books by Michael Cunningham, but nothing compares to The Hours. He does a fantastic job with his luminous prose, intricately weaving together the narrative strands and observational details of his slowing unravelling characters.
Last edited by chaos on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

jptm

#130 Post by jptm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 am

Say Larry, have you read anything from Michel Houellebecq? I think his stuff is right up your alley...

Les Particules élémentaires would be a good place to start. :wave:

Larry B.

#131 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 pm

jptm wrote:Say Larry, have you read anything from Michel Houellebecq? I think his stuff is right up your alley...

Les Particules élémentaires would be a good place to start. :wave:
Hey! I hadn't heard of him before. I just checked my collection of e-books and I do have that book and Platform. I'll give your recommendation a go! :cheers:

farrellgirl99

#132 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 pm

chaos wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:Image
I got hooked on this book and read it in one sitting on a Saturday several years ago. I have read a couple of other books by Michael Cunningham, but nothing compares to The Hours. He does a fantastic job with his luminous prose, intricately weaving together the narrative strands and observational details of his slowing unravelling characters.
Yeah I finished this and thought it was great. He did a great job of emulating Woolf both in style and character depth (I haven't read anything else by him so I assume he was trying to pay homage to Woolf with his prose). I love Virginia Woolf so it was a great read.

kv

#133 Post by kv » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I just finished this:

It was somewhat disconcerting hearing that he was murdered as I was reading the book he wrote...
really? damn just got that have yet to start it

jptm

#134 Post by jptm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am

Larry B. wrote:Hey! I hadn't heard of him before. I just checked my collection of e-books and I do have that book and Platform. I'll give your recommendation a go! :cheers:
:thumb: Hope you enjoy it....

chaos

#135 Post by chaos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 am

This is a just a FYI (I haven't read the original version, let alone the one in Chinese). :conf:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 28300.html

Updated March 31, 2013, 10:14 p.m. ET
'Finnegans Wake' Is Greek to Many; Now Imagine It in Chinese
Translation of Joyce Novel in Works for Years Sells Well to Readers Craving a Challenge

BEIJING—"Finnegans Wake" has bedeviled readers for decades, but few can claim the toil and triumph it has given to Dai Congrong.

Ms. Dai spent eight years translating into Chinese the 1939 James Joyce novel that the author's own brother described as "unspeakably wearisome." She endured low pay, a skeptical husband and the continued demands of her teaching job. That is on top of deciphering sentences like this: "Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface."
A newly affluent nation that prizes black Audi sedans and Louis Vuitton handbags has made a literary status symbol of what may well be English literature's most difficult work. Thanks in part to a canny marketing campaign involving eye-catching billboards and packaging, "Finnegans Wake" sold out the first, 8,000-volume run shortly after it was released in December. The book briefly rose to No. 2 on a bestseller list run by a Shanghai book industry group, just behind a biography of the late Deng Xiaoping, the architect of China's modern-day boom.
The appetite for Joyce's most challenging work comes from a real hunger for demanding literature. A Chinese writer, Mo Yan, last year won the Nobel Prize in Literature, the first for a Chinese national. But his victory only underscored China's lack of a global profile in the printed word. Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution suppressed China's rich literary heritage. Continued government censorship and the lack of emphasis on reading for pleasure in the schools haven't helped.
"Finnegans Wake" famously begins midsentence. It defies conventional narrative structure. It offers 10 different words referring to thunder, each at least 100 letters long, such as "bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunn-
trovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!"
Experts are still arguing, but many believe it takes place during a shifting dream or dreams, and it involves among many other matters a bar owner and his family and an unspecified sexual transgression in a park.

Hype

#136 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:06 pm

chaos wrote:This is a just a FYI (I haven't read the original version, let alone the one in Chinese). :conf:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 28300.html

Updated March 31, 2013, 10:14 p.m. ET
'Finnegans Wake' Is Greek to Many; Now Imagine It in Chinese
Translation of Joyce Novel in Works for Years Sells Well to Readers Craving a Challenge

BEIJING—"Finnegans Wake" has bedeviled readers for decades, but few can claim the toil and triumph it has given to Dai Congrong.

Ms. Dai spent eight years translating into Chinese the 1939 James Joyce novel that the author's own brother described as "unspeakably wearisome." She endured low pay, a skeptical husband and the continued demands of her teaching job. That is on top of deciphering sentences like this: "Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface."
A newly affluent nation that prizes black Audi sedans and Louis Vuitton handbags has made a literary status symbol of what may well be English literature's most difficult work. Thanks in part to a canny marketing campaign involving eye-catching billboards and packaging, "Finnegans Wake" sold out the first, 8,000-volume run shortly after it was released in December. The book briefly rose to No. 2 on a bestseller list run by a Shanghai book industry group, just behind a biography of the late Deng Xiaoping, the architect of China's modern-day boom.
The appetite for Joyce's most challenging work comes from a real hunger for demanding literature. A Chinese writer, Mo Yan, last year won the Nobel Prize in Literature, the first for a Chinese national. But his victory only underscored China's lack of a global profile in the printed word. Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution suppressed China's rich literary heritage. Continued government censorship and the lack of emphasis on reading for pleasure in the schools haven't helped.
"Finnegans Wake" famously begins midsentence. It defies conventional narrative structure. It offers 10 different words referring to thunder, each at least 100 letters long, such as "bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunn-
trovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!"
Experts are still arguing, but many believe it takes place during a shifting dream or dreams, and it involves among many other matters a bar owner and his family and an unspecified sexual transgression in a park.
I started reading it. Then I thought I was clever for having sort of figured out a rough meaning for a few sentences. Then I got really exhausted and annoyed and never touched it again. I hate that shitty book. :lol:

SR

#137 Post by SR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am

WW-Leaves of Grass

Warped

#138 Post by Warped » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Starting today with

perkana

#139 Post by perkana » Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 pm

perkana

#140 Post by perkana » Tue May 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Finally reading A Game of Thrones. I'm getting everything now.

Bandit72

#141 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Read this on holiday

Easy read, and to be honest I loved it. My wife kind of said "all those rock n roll books are the same" which maybe true in terms of what one did/does in a band, but that's only a small part of someones life.

nausearockpig

#142 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am

that was a really good read.

SR

#143 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 am

nausearockpig wrote:that was a really good read.

farrellgirl99

#144 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:55 am

definitely an interesting and worthwhile read, even if i wish it was a bit more expansive. i liked it more than i thought i would.

NYRexall

#145 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm