What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Larry B.

Re: What are you reading?

#41 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Matov wrote:i was just given this one for my birthday

anybody here read it? i know its not exactly a novelty, but i usually like to get some reviews before getting into a book

so, thanks in advance!
Feliz cumpleaños, man!! :bday: :bday: :bday:

Veinticuántos?

Matov

#42 Post by Matov » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:Feliz cumpleaños, man!! :bday: :bday: :bday:

Veinticuántos?
Thanks Larry! it's veintiocho for me :banana:

Larry B.

#43 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:26 am

Matov wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Feliz cumpleaños, man!! :bday: :bday: :bday:

Veinticuántos?
Thanks Larry! it's veintiocho for me :banana:
Hahaha, sos una semana mayor que yo!

:gayfight: :bday: :bday:

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Matov wrote:i was just given this one for my birthday

anybody here read it? i know its not exactly a novelty, but i usually like to get some reviews before getting into a book

so, thanks in advance!

hello and happy belated birthday!

i didn't read that book but i am familiar with some of Hanif Kureishi's work.

i saw the films my beautiful laundrette and sammy and rosie get laid. he wrote the screenplays for both of them. i also read a more recent book called something to tell you.

rom the films and the book i read, he writes about the experiences of immigrants and the children of immigrants growing up in london. he writes about racism, identity(sexual and individual), cross-cultural variation, social commentary.
i think he is a good writer. very smart and witty.

Matov

#45 Post by Matov » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 am

Artemis wrote: hello and happy belated birthday!

i didn't read that book but i am familiar with some of Hanif Kureishi's work.

i saw the films my beautiful laundrette and sammy and rosie get laid. he wrote the screenplays for both of them. i also read a more recent book called something to tell you.

rom the films and the book i read, he writes about the experiences of immigrants and the children of immigrants growing up in london. he writes about racism, identity(sexual and individual), cross-cultural variation, social commentary.
i think he is a good writer. very smart and witty.
Thank you Artemis!
Yeah the same guy who gave me the book reccomended the films... your definition of the themes he explores is spot on, i'm finding the book to be entertaining. its funny how every other page, he'll name drop a rock album from the 70s, which is where he set the story. Its not always fundamental to the story he's telling, but it helps to engage with the main character. He'll tell how the main character gives a handjob to one of his classmates then licks the semen off his hand, while listening to Umagumma by Pink Floyd. They could've been listening to any music, or none at all and the story would be the same. But i do like Pink Floyd more than licking someone else's semen from my dirty hand, so i sympathised a bit more. so far, so good :wiggle:

chaos

#46 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm

hokahey wrote:Absolutely incredible book.

Even if you have zero interest in running it's still a great read.
Great book. The eccentric (and non-fictional!) cast of characters reminded me a little of some of the craziness in the novel A Confederacy of Dunces.

I started eating chia seeds after reading Born to Run. They are very healthy for you. They are very gelatinous when mixed with liquid, so it is very easy to make pudding. However, chia seeds have no taste. So if you come across any pudding recipies, you will definitely need to add something on your own to add some zing if you plan on eating more than a few spoonfuls.

SR

#47 Post by SR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:05 am

chaos wrote:

Great book. The eccentric (and non-fictional!) cast of characters reminded me a little of some of the craziness in the novel A Confederacy of Dunces.
:hs: Wow, I had a really diiferent idea of how BTR was framed.

chaos

#48 Post by chaos » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 am

SR wrote:
chaos wrote:

:hs: Wow, I had a really diiferent idea of how BTR was framed.
Overall BTR is both informative and inspirational. I was referring to some of the interactions among the characters during the journey. They add some comedic flavor to McDougall's narrative.

crater

#49 Post by crater » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 am

I like pretty pictures

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 am

Joseph Emperaire's 'Nomads of the Sea'.

Beautiful book about the yaganes, aborigines from Punta Arenas, by a French anthropologist who spent a few years with them. Today, they are pretty much extinct. Only 3 grandmothers are 'pure yaganes', one of whom I visited 3 months ago.

Lovely book for me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#51 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am

chaos wrote:Overall BTR is both informative and inspirational. I was referring to some of the interactions among the characters during the journey. They add some comedic flavor to McDougall's narrative.
Well put. The characters are just amazingly colorful and so fun to read about.

Everybody's Friend

#52 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 am

hokahey wrote:
chaos wrote:Overall BTR is both informative and inspirational. I was referring to some of the interactions among the characters during the journey. They add some comedic flavor to McDougall's narrative.
Scott Jurek is amazing. :nod:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#53 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Scott Jurek is amazing. :nod:
Yes! Such an interesting guy. It seems like a lot of ultra runners are. They have their own subculture.

Matov

#54 Post by Matov » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am

Larry B. wrote:Joseph Emperaire's 'Nomads of the Sea'.

Beautiful book about the yaganes, aborigines from Punta Arenas, by a French anthropologist who spent a few years with them. Today, they are pretty much extinct. Only 3 grandmothers are 'pure yaganes', one of whom I visited 3 months ago.

Lovely book for me.
happy belated birthday to you, sir

Larry B.

#55 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Matov wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Joseph Emperaire's 'Nomads of the Sea'.

Lovely book for me.
happy belated birthday to you, sir
:tiphat: :tiphat: Muchas gracias, maestro.

Bandit72

#56 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 am

I reasd this book about 8 years ago and I came across it again on Kindle so I bought it. If you like travelling, or have ever been to Thailand or that part of the world or maybe you are interested in what happens in a Thai prison? Read it. Gripping stuff.

Think about the most wretched day of your life. Maybe it was when someone you loved died, or when you were badly hurt in an accident, or a day when you were so terrified you could scarcely bear it. No imagine 4,000 of those days in one big chunk.

In 1978, Warren Fellows was convicted in Thailand of heroin trafficking and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The Damage Done is his story of an unthinkable nightmare in a place where sewer rats and cockroaches are the only nutritious food, and where the worst punishment is the khun deo - solitary confinement, Thai style.

Fellows was certainly guilty of his crime, but he endured and survived human-rights abuses beyond imagination. This is not his plea for forgiveness, nor his denial of guilt; it is the story of an ordeal that no one would wish on their worst enemy. It is an essential read: heartbreaking, fascinating and impossible to put down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Fellows

nausearockpig

#57 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:I reasd this book about 8 years ago and I came across it again on Kindle so I bought it. If you like travelling, or have ever been to Thailand or that part of the world or maybe you are interested in what happens in a Thai prison? Read it. Gripping stuff.

Think about the most wretched day of your life. Maybe it was when someone you loved died, or when you were badly hurt in an accident, or a day when you were so terrified you could scarcely bear it. No imagine 4,000 of those days in one big chunk.

In 1978, Warren Fellows was convicted in Thailand of heroin trafficking and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The Damage Done is his story of an unthinkable nightmare in a place where sewer rats and cockroaches are the only nutritious food, and where the worst punishment is the khun deo - solitary confinement, Thai style.

Fellows was certainly guilty of his crime, but he endured and survived human-rights abuses beyond imagination. This is not his plea for forgiveness, nor his denial of guilt; it is the story of an ordeal that no one would wish on their worst enemy. It is an essential read: heartbreaking, fascinating and impossible to put down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Fellows

lol yeah maybe just don't traffic drugs.... FFS

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 am

There was a show on for awhile called "Locked Up Abroad" (I think) and was full of these types of stories. Terrifying stuff. It's like my worst nightmare. I'd rather be dead.

Bandit72

#59 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 am

hokahey wrote:There was a show on for awhile called "Locked Up Abroad" (I think) and was full of these types of stories. Terrifying stuff. It's like my worst nightmare. I'd rather be dead.
Terry Shortall, a very good Irish friend of mine was arrested by Hong Kong police in August 2009 for allegedly assaulting two female students in his private office. He strenuously denied the charges and was given a longer sentence by the judge for "failing to show remorse". There were no witnesses to the offense and the arrest, judgement, and subsequent jail sentence were based entirely on the accusations of two 19-year-old female students who were failing his English course. To cut a VERY long story short, he was locked up in a Hong Kong prison for just over a year, lost his work permit and other rights and eventually got out because one of the girls admitted to lying about everything. He now lives with his son in Brazil. He wrote a book about it which I read a draft of. Fucked up.

blackcoffee

#60 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm a big fan of this Irish writer Adrian McKinty. These two were recently published in the UK, but not in the US. I ordered them off Amazon.

They're basically thrillers. He's much better than average as a writer, though. His first series is brilliant.

Hype

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

Hokahey
Site Admin

#63 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 am

chaos wrote:For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

He had been missing since Tuesday. They found him Saturday. Heartbreaking stuff.

nausearockpig

#64 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Star Wars Fate Of The Jedi - nine book series.

Matov

#65 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

That Maus graphic novel is truly heartbreaking. I read it when i was about twelve i think. So i don't remember the specifics of the plot, other than the timeframe of the story and what obviously went on there. Still i remember feeling like the world was one shitty place.
Enjoy it :wave: