What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: What are you reading?

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

Hokahey
Site Admin

#63 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 am

chaos wrote:For those of you familiar with the book Born to Run, Caballo Blanco aka Micah True died a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingrunner

He had been missing since Tuesday. They found him Saturday. Heartbreaking stuff.

nausearockpig

#64 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Star Wars Fate Of The Jedi - nine book series.

Matov

#65 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:These are summer reading, really, but I'm starting one of them now...

That Maus graphic novel is truly heartbreaking. I read it when i was about twelve i think. So i don't remember the specifics of the plot, other than the timeframe of the story and what obviously went on there. Still i remember feeling like the world was one shitty place.
Enjoy it :wave:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#66 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 am

I know Hype has read Maus before because I know we talked about it when I read it a few years ago.

Hype

#67 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

hokahey wrote:I know Hype has read Maus before because I know we talked about it when I read it a few years ago.
I read it as a youngster, but I've forgotten most of it. Then again, it's eerily similar to my grandfather's own life (Polish Holocaust survivor)... so.. :conf:

I'm actually reading a lot more than that... journal articles and some books (metaphysics, philosophy of perception, stoicism) for my final coursework papers ever. But technically I'm also reading a stack of badly written first year philosophy essays. :confused: :confused: :lol: Going stir-crazy.

Larry B.

#68 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:But technically I'm also reading a stack of badly written first year philosophy essays. :confused: :confused: :lol: Going stir-crazy.
In a similar line, I'm reading courses for new data security and storage systems for big companies, recruitment descriptions for a pretty big company, curatory essays and audit reports.

:hide:

:mediate:

Matz

#69 Post by Matz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 pm

I've been reading this over the past couple of days. It was a gift from my sister who raved about it. It's about dealing with conflicts, how to avoid them and resolving them in a more mature way. Lots of people claim it's changed their lives, but I only got half way through it. It's written in a annoying condescending way I think and instead of getting to their points relatively fast they drag it out forever. So no life changing for me this time around unfortunately. Maybe I should pass it along to Perry :noclue:

Artemis

#70 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Matz wrote:I've been reading this over the past couple of days. It was a gift from my sister who raved about it. It's about dealing with conflicts, how to avoid them and resolving them in a more mature way.
I think I should check that book out. My conflict resolution method of sticking gum in people's hair isn't working. :lol:

Seriously though, that sounds like a very interesting book.
I really hate conflict situations and generally avoid them through diplomacy.It doesn't always work though..

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Something for Kurt Vonnegut fans..

BOOK REVIEW

And So It Goes: Kurt Vonnegut: A Life
SCARRED WRITER
BY DAVID SILVERBERG

If you’re curious about what demons plagued Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat’s Cradle author Kurt Vonnegut, Charles J. Shields’s bio of the mercurial and troubled writer is required reading.

Though it’s been five years since Vonnegut died, And So It Goes is the first official biography.

Shields knows how to get to an author’s core, having profiled Harper Lee in Mockingbird. Using the same kind of exhaustive research, he reviewed more than 1,500 letters and interviewed Vonnegut as well as dozens of relatives and friends.

An Indiana boy raised in a German-American home, young Vonnegut craved attention, feeling alienated from his constantly warring parents. His brother Bernard got hooked on science and won over Mom and Dad, giving rise to a resentment Vonnegut never really let go of. But Bernard also got him curious about science and engineering.

Vonnegut’s Cornell days, his stint as a Second World War infantryman and the devastating Dresden bombing that later surfaced in his best-selling Slaughterhouse-Five are related in brisk, well-crafted prose. It’s eerie to read how that Dresden scar ran so deep that Vonnegut felt little closure even after completing the book.

The bio keeps the intrigue coming in the stories of two ex-wives who seem to withhold nothing. As salacious as those tales are, the more telling details emerge from Vonnegut’s views on creative writing and sharing stories he wants the world to hear.

The best parts of And So It Goes examine the ways his real-life drama bled into his fiction, something his fans may always have suspected but could never know for sure – until now.

clickie

#72 Post by clickie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Not because of this book..but lately I'm feeling like my fascination and thirst for knowledge about the Vietnam war has finally been quenched...

perkana

#73 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

Just finished reading E.M Forster's Longest Journey (for a first novel, it wasn't that bad) and about to read Where Angels Fear to Tread. I'm not looking forward to it because it's the last novel of his that I haven't read and there are no more.

Classic Boy

#74 Post by Classic Boy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 am

"Les Fleurs du Mal" , Charles Baudelaire. At school I hated it cause I was forced to read it, but now I'm discovering it with my own feelings and it's just beautiful.

farrellgirl99

#75 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Reading these two for school currently.

SR

#76 Post by SR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Artemis wrote:Something for Kurt Vonnegut fans..

BOOK REVIEW

And So It Goes: Kurt Vonnegut: A Life
SCARRED WRITER
BY DAVID SILVERBERG

If you’re curious about what demons plagued Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat’s Cradle author Kurt Vonnegut, Charles J. Shields’s bio of the mercurial and troubled writer is required reading.

Though it’s been five years since Vonnegut died, And So It Goes is the first official biography.

Shields knows how to get to an author’s core, having profiled Harper Lee in Mockingbird. Using the same kind of exhaustive research, he reviewed more than 1,500 letters and interviewed Vonnegut as well as dozens of relatives and friends.

An Indiana boy raised in a German-American home, young Vonnegut craved attention, feeling alienated from his constantly warring parents. His brother Bernard got hooked on science and won over Mom and Dad, giving rise to a resentment Vonnegut never really let go of. But Bernard also got him curious about science and engineering.

Vonnegut’s Cornell days, his stint as a Second World War infantryman and the devastating Dresden bombing that later surfaced in his best-selling Slaughterhouse-Five are related in brisk, well-crafted prose. It’s eerie to read how that Dresden scar ran so deep that Vonnegut felt little closure even after completing the book.

The bio keeps the intrigue coming in the stories of two ex-wives who seem to withhold nothing. As salacious as those tales are, the more telling details emerge from Vonnegut’s views on creative writing and sharing stories he wants the world to hear.

The best parts of And So It Goes examine the ways his real-life drama bled into his fiction, something his fans may always have suspected but could never know for sure – until now.
I bought this over 6 months ago and read 20 pages before it got lost other things. I hate it when that happens.....I also had plans to see his lecture here in LA with Lizwiz just a month or so before he dies. Bummer/

zdilla

#77 Post by zdilla » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 pm

I just began 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzche! it's one i do want to finish. i don't know if im up for the read right now. :wave: but am re-reading also 'The Unknown Matisse' biog by Hilary Spurling.

Larry B.

#78 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 am

Great, very informative and entertaining book. As a fan (and sometimes an obsessive) of efficiency, it's giving me a lot to think about.

There are hardcover and Kindle editions, should you be interested (and you should): http://www.amazon.com/Cybernetic-Revolu ... 659&sr=8-1

mockbee

#79 Post by mockbee » Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 am

"In the Empire of Genghis Khan....."

It is an excellent book. Only wish I had someone to discuss it with........;)

blackcoffee

#80 Post by blackcoffee » Thu May 03, 2012 2:36 pm

written by a guy who was in the band Shudder to Think--a band I don't think I ever listened to....

his website: http://nathanlarson.net/2011/01/nathans ... ance-2011/

Matz

#81 Post by Matz » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

farrellgirl99

#82 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm

and

farrellgirl99

#83 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:50 pm

i just finished this in a couple of hours. a pretty fascinating read.
It was a tale of loss and recovery, of courage and sorrow, of horror and inspiration. Tania Head’s astonishing account of her experience on September 11, 2001—from crawling through the carnage and chaos to escaping the seventy-eighth-floor sky lobby of the burning south tower to losing her fiancé in the collapsed north tower—transformed her into one of the great victims and heroes of that tragic day.

Tania selflessly took on the responsibility of giving a voice and a direction to the burgeoning World Trade Center Survivors’ Network, helping save the “Survivor Stairway” and leading tours at Ground Zero, including taking then-governor Pataki, Mayor Bloomberg, and former mayor Giuliani on the inaugural tour of the WTC site. She even used her own assets to fund charitable events to help survivors heal. But there was something very wrong with Tania’s story—a terrible secret that would break the hearts and challenge the faith of all those she claimed to champion.

chaos

#84 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:24 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Image

i just finished this in a couple of hours. a pretty fascinating read.
It was a tale of loss and recovery, of courage and sorrow, of horror and inspiration. Tania Head’s astonishing account of her experience on September 11, 2001—from crawling through the carnage and chaos to escaping the seventy-eighth-floor sky lobby of the burning south tower to losing her fiancé in the collapsed north tower—transformed her into one of the great victims and heroes of that tragic day.

Tania selflessly took on the responsibility of giving a voice and a direction to the burgeoning World Trade Center Survivors’ Network, helping save the “Survivor Stairway” and leading tours at Ground Zero, including taking then-governor Pataki, Mayor Bloomberg, and former mayor Giuliani on the inaugural tour of the WTC site. She even used her own assets to fund charitable events to help survivors heal. But there was something very wrong with Tania’s story—a terrible secret that would break the hearts and challenge the faith of all those she claimed to champion.
There was a program on TV recently about that woman. I am surprised she is still living in NYC. She cannot possibly feel safe with all of the crap she pulled.

chaos

#85 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Posted on Amazon:
From Publishers Weekly

Lewis, former Dean of Harvard College, presents a biting, scattershot indictment of undergraduate education at America's flagship university. The curriculum, he contends, is a crazy quilt of courses that leaves students clueless as to what they should learn and why. Professors are ivory tower eggheads fixated on their narrow subspecialties and incapable of offering guidance about academics, career or character. And students, coddled by parents and plied by administrators with parties, pubs and concerts, remain dependent and infantilized instead of growing up. Lewis spares no one-least of all recently ousted Harvard President Lawrence Summers, a "bully" whose administration combined "arrogance" with "lack of candor" and "chaotic lurching"-and probes rarely-examined academic fundamentals (his comments on the meaninglessness of grades are especially incisive). Unfortunately, his remedies, like a sketchy proposal for general education courses, are vague at best. And while he deplores Harvard's failure to articulate "what it means to be a good person," his discussion of date rape-concluding that women should be encouraged to "move on" and "rise above severe trauma"-is an ethical muddle. Provocative and insightful, Lewis's call for an intellectually and morally coherent education does a much better job of raising important questions than answering them.