What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Message
Author
User avatar
Bandit72
Posts: 2631
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: What are you reading?

#141 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Read this on holiday

Image

Easy read, and to be honest I loved it. My wife kind of said "all those rock n roll books are the same" which maybe true in terms of what one did/does in a band, but that's only a small part of someones life.

User avatar
nausearockpig
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#142 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am

that was a really good read.

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6594
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#143 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 am

nausearockpig wrote:that was a really good read.

User avatar
farrellgirl99
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm
Location: Queens

Re: What are you reading?

#144 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:55 am

Image

definitely an interesting and worthwhile read, even if i wish it was a bit more expansive. i liked it more than i thought i would.

User avatar
NYRexall
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 am

Re: What are you reading?

#145 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Image

creep
Site Admin
Posts: 9414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: What are you reading?

#146 Post by creep » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:42 pm

i don't read because i'm dumb but the school i am going to requires that i read a book before school starts (what a bunch of shit) so i am reading this:

Image

User avatar
NYRexall
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 am

Re: What are you reading?

#147 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 am

Currently engrossing myself in this: http://www.amazon.com/She-Comes-First-T ... omes+first

And when I'm done, I'll be engrossing myself in certain other things :nod: :banana:

User avatar
Larry B.
Posts: 6816
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Back in Santiago.

Re: What are you reading?

#148 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:09 am

Image

Great, simple narrative of a guy who lived (lives?) for Manchester United. Really beautiful.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 8573
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What are you reading?

#149 Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 pm

I bought two new books today. One of my resolutions this year is to read more books. In 2013 I didn't read a single book...not even a short story!

Image
On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization.

Wildly inventive, darkly comic, startlingly poignant — this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best, playing with time and history, telling a story that is breathtaking for both its audacity and its endless satisfactions.
Image
Winner of the 2013 Man Booker Prize and Canada's Governor General's Literary Award, a breathtaking feat of storytelling where everything is connected, but nothing is as it seems....

It is 1866, and young Walter Moody has come to make his fortune upon the New Zealand goldfields. On the stormy night of his arrival, he stumbles across a tense gathering of twelve local men who have met in secret to discuss a series of unexplained events: A wealthy man has vanished, a prostitute has tried to end her life, and an enormous fortune has been discovered in the home of a luckless drunk. Moody is soon drawn into the mystery: a network of fates and fortunes that is as complex and exquisitely ornate as the night sky.

Richly evoking a mid-nineteenth-century world of shipping, banking, and gold rush boom and bus, The Luminaries is a brilliantly constructed, fiendishly clever ghost story and a gripping page-turner. It is a thrilling achievement for someone still in her midtwenties, and will confirm for critics and readers that Eleanor Catton is one of the brightest stars in the international writing firmament.
I like having a couple of books on the go at the same time.

User avatar
farrellgirl99
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm
Location: Queens

Re: What are you reading?

#150 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 pm

i wanted to check out Life After Life, let me know how it is!

im reading these two right now:

Image

Image

User avatar
chaos
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: What are you reading?

#151 Post by chaos » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Artemis wrote:I bought two new books today. One of my resolutions this year is to read more books. In 2013 I didn't read a single book...not even a short story!

Image
I saw/heard J. Courtney Sullivan who sat with a panel of writers at one of the events at the Boston Book Festival (back in Oct.), and she sang the praises of Atkinson and her book. It is on my list!

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#152 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Image
Shame is Salman Rushdie's third novel, published in 1983. Like most of Rushdie's work, this book was written in the style of magic realism. It portrays the lives of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Iskander Harappa) and General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq (General Raza Hyder) and their relationship. The central theme of the novel is that violence is born out of shame. The concepts of 'shame' and 'shamelessness' are explored through all of the characters, with main focus on Sufiya Zinobia and Omar Khayyám.

Shame discusses heritage, authenticity, truth, and, of course, shame and shamelessness, as well as the impact of all these themes on an individual, the protagonist Omar Khayyám.

Rushdie wrote Shame after his second novel Midnight's Children.
It's excellent so far. Years ago I tried to read The Satanic Verses and failed miserably, mostly because I found the writing tedious, but I'm not sure why, because Midnight's Children and Shame (so far) I've found extremely easy to read, and I think Rushdie may be the best writing in English since Shakespeare. :yikes:

creep
Site Admin
Posts: 9414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: What are you reading?

#153 Post by creep » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 pm

the most incredible thing about rushdie is his wife

Image

Image

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#154 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Haha yeah. But he's also a genius... at words.

User avatar
crater
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Bear Island
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

#155 Post by crater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:39 pm

I got these two

ImageImage

I'm reading Escape from Camp 14 first and it's one of those books that as soon as you start reading it, it's damn near impossible to put down.

User avatar
chaos
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: What are you reading?

#156 Post by chaos » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Image

User avatar
guysmiley
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: PDX/Fukuoka Japan

Re: What are you reading?

#157 Post by guysmiley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:55 pm

A People's History of the United States. By Howard Zinn. Should have read it in college. Also a book called Zealot. I found it to disprove most of Christianity and show how bias history is. I love history.

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#158 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:00 pm

guysmiley wrote:A People's History of the United States. By Howard Zinn. Should have read it in college. Also a book called Zealot. I found it to disprove most of Christianity and show how bias history is. I love history.
Reza Aslan is kind of a douchey character, but that interview he did with Fox News about that book had me laughing so hard: http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski ... as-ever-do

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6594
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#159 Post by SR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Image
Shame is Salman Rushdie's third novel, published in 1983. Like most of Rushdie's work, this book was written in the style of magic realism. It portrays the lives of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Iskander Harappa) and General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq (General Raza Hyder) and their relationship. The central theme of the novel is that violence is born out of shame. The concepts of 'shame' and 'shamelessness' are explored through all of the characters, with main focus on Sufiya Zinobia and Omar Khayyám.

Shame discusses heritage, authenticity, truth, and, of course, shame and shamelessness, as well as the impact of all these themes on an individual, the protagonist Omar Khayyám.

Rushdie wrote Shame after his second novel Midnight's Children.
It's excellent so far. Years ago I tried to read The Satanic Verses and failed miserably, mostly because I found the writing tedious, but I'm not sure why, because Midnight's Children and Shame (so far) I've found extremely easy to read, and I think Rushdie may be the best writing in English since Shakespeare. :yikes:
try Conrad.

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6419
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: What are you reading?

#160 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Not a fan. :(

Post Reply